What's new

2K Liquid Lumens set up

Seed Buyer

I was using a 40 gal res and a 1/4 hp chiller for (1) 1000 watt system. We run at least (10) 1000 watters in that house, so it was just over kill/hassel to set up that many reservoirs, reservoir chillers and so forth. Was way easier to just stick w/ the Excel Air 4.0 or 5.0 ton unit cool the room. Probably would run water cooled if I was just gonna rock (1) 1000 watter. Down here we are pretty much forced to run closed loop rooms.

ocitown

very cool, literally. I'm bout to get me some frescas or LL's for summer to go with my quantums too! I can tell you my quantums are brighter than my xtrasun coil ballast, and are brighter than lumatek too. Did a side by side and you can tell without a light meter that their brighter. Good growin in that room bro. Really nice! What strains do you plan to run?
Thanx,i just cleaned up the room after about 2 weeks of being depressed after a spider mite infestation and now it's clean and ready for the DR240W.

Got the HF AC today locally for $425 otd,it's really a monster at $100 lbs and the twin tube design will surly keep out the heat while cooling.

I have several strains but i did drop 5 Super Skunk seeds into a vile of R/O last night and 2 have cracked and will go on a paper towel tonight.

The DR240W is being sent tomarrow at $300 and $26 shipping.

ocitown

I bought a LL and hooked it up w/ a 1000 HPS. However, in my neck of the woods we use just as much amperage on cooling as we do lights. Long story short I am over my test run w/ the Liquid Lumens tube and its just not a realistic piece of gear for my needs. Would love to get rid of it if anyone wants to PM me.
The chiller and pumps will eat power but even my 1/2 HP chiller and my 950gph pump (to pump res water to the attic to the chiller to keep the room cooler)and the 500gph still only use half the power of a 1K.

The huge advantage to these are when you run multiple lights because the res,pumps and chiller are already there.

I also found it less than a perfect set up after it was said and done with all the $$ it took but it is done now and so i will give it another try.

Did you get the custom Hydrofarm fixture?

What ya want for it?

I have another fixture and was planning on adding a 400 MH AC to the 1K but if it was a LL is would not matter as i have the chiller and res already.

ocitown

Man, I saw this same kind of approach in a thread on OG years ago. It seemed to me there were issues with the output. Have you tested with a light meter to see what your total loss due to signal attenuation turned out to be?
A light meter is def. in my future,the fact that you can get the plants so close over comes the slight loss from the little water jacket which keeps it cool.

I would love to test it though,LL says they have and like i said the distance makes up for it 2x.

Inverse square law is very powerful at close distances for sure.

ocitown

I was using a 40 gal res and a 1/4 hp chiller for (1) 1000 watt system. We run at least (10) 1000 watters in that house, so it was just over kill/hassel to set up that many reservoirs, reservoir chillers and so forth. Was way easier to just stick w/ the Excel Air 4.0 or 5.0 ton unit cool the room. Probably would run water cooled if I was just gonna rock (1) 1000 watter. Down here we are pretty much forced to run closed loop rooms.
AC will always be needed just much less of it,if you had all your lights in a LL and used a res in the earth to chill the water or used a pool,pond or the like with a radiator your chilling would be nearly free(we all don't have that option though) and your AC would be cut in two too.

The initial $$ spent will be returned IMO in time,in my case allot of time.

My motivation in this sport is FUN and that does cost $$,i am addicted to growing but it's so much better than the oxi i was on for so many years.:yoinks:

ocitown

Bring the pain man for us lil tent guys! Would love to have me a run in that thing myself. Wish you the best of luck and cant wait to see the show! I am in for damn sure!:joint::woohoo::abduct:
Thanx bro!!

Where is the OP,i wanted his input from the start.

ocitown

What medium are you in, man?

Also, kind of on the same note, have you seen these?
http://www.n-g-w.com/ngw/lighting.aspx?request=HYDROGEN_ICE_BOX&title=Reflectors&type=product
IF you go liquid cooled the LL is the very best design out there but they are not the cheapest either.

My new grow will be all organic soil with only AACT added.

Done soil with nutes and hydro as well and now the good stuff,although i do enjoy hydro BBs using a chiller and auto everything.

Need to get this set up and my soil down now,it will take a few grows.

My last grow was a 1K with 1.2 GPW.

toohighmf

Veteran
2+ on 1k is very respectable. Do they make a good hood for these things or am I gonna have to retrofit it in a great white reflector. I'm going 8 internally flipped on 4 quantums and a horti control flip. Zig zags over a 8'x16 area every 2 hours. I can run an expander from the flip and pull another 8 lights in that room off 4k in a 24 hour period. 16 hoods run of 4 ballasts.. Gpw? I think I could do fairly well if I could economicly.

ocitown

2+ on 1k is very respectable. Do they make a good hood for these things or am I gonna have to retrofit it in a great white reflector. I'm going 8 internally flipped on 4 quantums and a horti control flip. Zig zags over a 8'x16 area every 2 hours. I can run an expander from the flip and pull another 8 lights in that room off 4k in a 24 hour period. 16 hoods run of 4 ballasts.. Gpw? I think I could do fairly well if I could economicly.

After seeing a fixture test which had the Hydrofarm Radiant 8 AC (which is what I have been using for some time)at the top of their list I knew it was a very well desidned and built fixture.

The LL was sold with that customized fixture for some time till LL had a falling out because HF required too many at each order.

Most 8" AC fixtures can accomodate the LL or a bat wing can be used,it also has a 4" through and through for additional cooling as well.

ocitown

My DR240W is up with two radiant 8" fixtures one with the LL and both air cooled with a 4" vortex through the twin tube AC and out the tent into the attic.

Can 50/vortex 8",12000btu AC,CAP 4 burner Co2/fuzzy,1K HPS/400HM Blue.

Sealed 100% and waiting for new seeds to germ.

rr14

so have we come to any conclusiions that 1/4 hp per 1000 light is fine and the issues were associated with the setup or is 1/4 fine? I'm thinking of 5 lights with a 1 hp and 50 gallon res.

ocitown

so have we come to any conclusiions that 1/4 hp per 1000 light is fine and the issues were associated with the setup or is 1/4 fine? I'm thinking of 5 lights with a 1 hp and 50 gallon res.
There is no set amt of HP per lights but 50 gal. and a 1/4hp could work for up to two 1Ks in the right environment,mine needs a 1/2 hp chiller for the one 1K and 50 gal. to chill it and cycle here and there rather than all day.

I now may be able to add another 1K and it may work,idk but in summer the game could again change.

ATM my chiller is in the attic but temps in there are under 90F.,summer time temps are over 110F. easy so since my setup is now contained in a tent i may need to bring the chiller down into the room the tent is in,we will see what the res temps do as it heats up in the attic.

ocitown

lookin good... i'll be checking in... do the damn thing
After my SM issue i got mad crazy and killed all my plants inc. mothers and now i am at the point of reg. seeds popping any day now.

Skunk Special from Nirvana

5 seeds 3 of which cracked and two are in soil atm while the other's tap gets longer,waiting for the other two to even crack(2-3 days in water and now i PT)

I only need one mother to work with,more will just be a bonus as they will just be flowered with the clones when ready.

Still looking for several amendments atm:1help:.

rr14

guys, i measured the fixture the other day at the shop and it was about 24.5" of clearance. I currently have cool sun xl's which are about 25.5" long. I probably will use a cut off wheel to shorten one of the flanges on my hood to fit the LL fixture. I'll try to post photos of this.

Has anyone got one of these to work in a cool sun xl or any other 25.5" long hood?

ocitown

guys, i measured the fixture the other day at the shop and it was about 24.5" of clearance. I currently have cool sun xl's which are about 25.5" long. I probably will use a cut off wheel to shorten one of the flanges on my hood to fit the LL fixture. I'll try to post photos of this.

Has anyone got one of these to work in a cool sun xl or any other 25.5" long hood?

That measurement must be from the flanges outside edges,as long as the inside of the fixture is clear through the same as the 8" ID it will work.

Just remove the factory lens.