What's new

280z ----> V8

beejium

Sure would.

No, the stock Zcar is a little long

eh?

T350 is generally used

No, why?

If I go LSx then I will need the computer, if older SBC not needed.

Why would the speedo need to be changed? I am not changing wheel size.

Actually the 350 fits easier into a 280 than an s-10.

are both speedo cables the same length and stile? never mind the joints/spline that was referring to old d-shaft, but seeing how it would be replaced... if this was built for drag i might think about the th350-400 or m20, but for street the t-56 or nv4500 seems to be a good match some tunnel/firewall work might be needed. gonna have to keep a log of the new part numbers and availability, although i'm sure you know that. i don't know the exacts, but a ford 8.8 might fit if the 280 uses a solid rear. i do know for a fact that the 8.8 i yanked out of an explorer 3.73 lsd w/disks has taken one hell of a beating so far. i wish i had a pic of the old stock rear that pretty much exploded on a 2 sec burn out.

i guess i wanted to make sure that you knew what you were getting into, because i had no clue when i started with the dime.

beejium

or t-5 if you're lame/cheap

ArcticBlast

i killed a t-5 with a gm 2.8 v6 i wouldn't put this on anything more than 90hp. was the t-5 they put in the mustangs any stronger? this is just out of curiosity, cause i got one in the garage that i can't pay to get rid of.

ArcticBlast

It's like a goddamned Buick Regal
Veteran
you could get one of those TKO 5 or 6 speeds, those are badass.

what are you going to do for a rear end?
ArcticBlast

thc43

Veteran
im guesing by the shape of the 260/280 or fAirladys you have alittle more room than most sports cars of that era.

N/A 20b or 20bt with something like to4z on it would be a good choice for this car.

ArcticBlast

Veteran
yeah if you want to go cheap/widely available, go with a 302. if you want decent, reliable, somewhat cheap "bang for the buck", chevy all the way. if you want to turn heads/are a tuner/ricer, go with the toyota/nissan. if you hate money and just like throwing it away, go with the mazda rotary mentioned above lol :joint:

or, you could restore it back to factory-new, and make a killing in resale

ArcticBlast

thc43

Veteran
what wrong with a rebuild every 10k?

Only heavily ported or peripheral ported engines need to be pulled down on a regular basis or yearly. Or cheep ecu, badly tuned why i mentioned N/a 20b cheep low k blocks, they mate with most strong autos..

my first rotarys did good KMs
12a n/a with 275 000km
13b 200 oookm
1st 13bt 260 oookm

then i got into ported motors
1st expend port 13bt stock hiflo turbo 75 000km, wet roads over reved poped a seal.

2nd 13bt same setup but bigger fuel system only went 6oookm premature detonation just after run in on the dyno. Fault was hard to find had a bad wire to fuel pump and pump was loud and ran hot odd for a bosch o44 there normaly bloody good

3rd 13bt being installed as we speak. under 30oookm warranty which i was lucky toget, as i wired the pump but 6000km is shocking just after a 4grand rebuild.
ruined the whole block or both rotor housings and needs a fresh seal kit might cost th mechanic more than the 4g rebuild.. oops

so not for everyone.

Next toy car will be a lighter car around a 1000kg datto or early rex7 with a 20b mounted as low as far back as can be done, if the dollars roll in same motor in a new mx5 /miata chassis proven good combo for street/track not much into stop, spin the wheels, go hard, stop.

have a looksie, i know your mind is made up but we can dream.

20b @6psi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LdrpwrN9daM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RomCIKez7Lw

ArcticBlast

Veteran
yeah they're fun to play with, but they're extremely inefficient, expensive, and unreliable!

but i'd love to play around with one, just because it's different. a buddy and i tore apart one of those 12a's, that was fun...its crazy how few parts are in them :joint:

but yeah LSx!
ArcticBlast

Stoner4Life

Medicinal Advocate
ICMag Donor
Veteran

I recently saw a 260Z with a cast block GM 350 under the hood, I imagine
it handled like a friggin' pig but would get there first no matter what.......