What's new

25+ year old Seed Germinated

y experience with old seed has been a lot like Silverbacks. This season I have started growing after taking several years off and have been working with seed that are between 7-10 years old. I've gotten several to germ from different strains but so far have just gotten one plant which is doing very nicely so far. They just dont seem to want to keep going once they are put in dirt. If anyone has any hints to keep them going let us know.

I got 15 seeds to germinate the last few days out of about 200 9 year old seed (wish it would have been kept refigerated but was just packed in dark closet)

Good luck with your seed, let us know how they do.
~gg~

I have some 5 year old seeds that i've been germing, so far so good, but i have a few left and do want to preserve them. Whats the best way, the fridge?

3dDream

Matter that Appreciates Matter
Veteran
RandomGuy00001 - I use a little rice in my baggies and fridge them. Here's what DJ short does:

Your friend the freezer

A benevolent tool in our trade is the refrigerator and freezer. The fridge is extremely useful in extending the longevity of seed and pollen. The trick to successful freezing is to freeze deep (-10 to -40°F/-20 to -35°C) and then keep the seed undisturbed. Hard frozen objects are very fragile. The slightest shock may shatter crucial, delicate cell structures within the seed. Double wrap the seed in paper; little manilla envelopes work great.

I like to do small amounts, in one-time-use packets, to keep waste to a minimum. Then place the wrap into a plastic freezer bag, then place the freezer bag into a plastic tub or tupperware container. Now the seed is ready for the deep-freeze. In the fridge, storing seed in airtight, brown glass jars with a little rice or other non-toxic desiccant seems to work best.