What's new

~25 200gal smartie coco grow, woah.

a grow of dreams, man!

I'm moving to Cali , i wanta try DWC outdoors, i think you can save on water consumption using it.

Funny you should say that. This evening on my way home from the hill I was daydreaming about a big DWC outdoor in one of my 275gal reservoir cubes.

I'm totally gonna bury a few next year and give it a whirl.

I reckon it could be pretty efficient all around when dialed in proper.

Have you been comparing your grows to any others around yours that aren't in basement mix? Are you ahead? Behind? Equal? Is the person who you are sharing the property with using basement mix too?

First and foremost, thanks for stopping by Trinity, I'm a big fan of your grows. Been quietly watching for a few years.

I'm far far ahead of everyone in the area. There's 4 other grows on the hillside, I'm about double the largest. There's also a guy up the road growing in kiddie pools..I'm ahead of him aswell.

The other people aren't using basement. They're all in various soils. The runner up on the hill is using Happy Frog cut w/ perilite.

The problem is mine were obviously started long before there's. Mine came to the hill larger, so the fact that they're larger now says nothing at all. They came in 25 gal's..like 6'+ tall. The neighbors planted at maybe 3'. So any comparison is subjective at best

I'm the only grower that I know of using Basement Mix outdoors.

I'm curious why didn't you just roll that money in to more soil and some chicken manure and bone meal? Are you happy with the size of your plants for this time of year? Do you feel like you could have done better/bigger?

Honestly there are several reasons I didn't just buy a ton of soil, bigger pots and amendments. The biggest being that these plants were extras from indoor operations...and were already in 3gal coco pots. I know coco like the back of my hand...soil, not so much. I've been growing in hydro/coco my whole career, so the idea of going outdoors from in and switching mediums was kinda intimidating.

Curiosity was a huge player too. I couldn't really figure out why nobody had tried a large plant coco garden aside from cost.

As far as being happy with the size of my plants, yeah I'm happy. Remember, this is my first season of outdoor. I'm especially happy when I look at the pictures of them going into the pots on the hillside 2 months ago. I'm blown away when I look at it like that.

That being said, I'm certain they could have been much bigger. They were late getting onto the hill. They hardly got any sun in the space they were in from April til the hill. Had they just been out on the hill, I'm sure they would have been MUCH bigger.

In the 2 months on the hill they blew the fuck up.

I definitely wish I would have done larger pots. They hit the walls almost a month ago..I'm certain they'd have filled 300, maybe even 400 gallon pots.

Next year I fully intend to do a side by side. It'll be somewhat flawed since I've no experience in soil gardening, but I'd be happy to put any of you experienced cats soil/nute recipes to the test.

Cheers, I appreciate the questions. Allowed for some nice introspective thinking.

In some ways I feel bad advertizing coco outdoors. The idea of other people seeing success w/ this method could be bad for the environment. I'm starting w/ this and heading to organics. Next year gonna do 50/50 coco/organic soil.

The plants are looking chipper, spent a few days up on the hillside.

Sprayed Actinovate for early PM prevention. Gonna spray it like bi weekly or something.

Also foliared w/ epsoms and magic green. Watered in some extra Mg aswell (calmag)

The biggest achievement of the week was the deployment of 27,000 ladybugs. There are still traces of mites evident on a few of the plants...and it's too late to wage more chemical warfare. So we called in the troops.

I'll probably drop like 30,000 of em every other week or so.

I must say it was FAR FAR more enjoyable than mixing Azadactrin/Spinosad solutions and spraying chemicides all over the plants. Really really enjoyed dropping ladybugs all over the tops of the plants.

The little lizards were happy too!

I'll post some pics later this weekend
:tiphat:

A Space Queen
attachment.php

Another Space Queen
attachment.php

Everything foreground is Space Queen
attachment.php

Sour Diesels in the foreground
attachment.php

Space Queen
attachment.php

Space Queen
attachment.php

Space Queen (some have very pink pistils, this one a bit)
attachment.php

XJ-13
attachment.php

My mom came to work today :D
attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• cleaned_IMAG0095.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0095.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 15
  • cleaned_IMAG0097.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0097.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 14
  • cleaned_IMAG0100.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0100.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 14
  • cleaned_IMAG0109.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0109.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 14
  • cleaned_IMAG0118.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0118.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 15
  • cleaned_IMAG0122.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0122.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 15
  • cleaned_IMAG0125.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0125.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 14
  • cleaned_IMAG0126.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0126.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 14
  • cleaned_IMAG0135.jpg
    cleaned_IMAG0135.jpg
    77 KB · Views: 14
  • week 4 12/12
    week 4 12/12
    62.3 KB · Views: 22

shroomyshroom

Doing what we do because we are who we are
Veteran
I haven't been in this thread for a while... you have grown some monster ladies there brother well done :)

Thanks Chwast and Shroomy. They do all the work now. Sometimes I feel like a lazy bastard because I really don't do much...just spend money.

Theo, good to see you brother man! Thanks for the kind words mi amigo.

OLDproLg

Veteran
Great grow!!

Even better setting aaaaaaaaah,i cant amagine..
Thas a hole lot better than my musty moldy swamp 100+ temps!
The air looks so crisp an clean it makes me dream of cali.....
What a beautiful place,stay safe.

T

Trinity Gold

Next year try 1 pallet of black gold , 200 lbs chicken , 100 lbs bone meal , 20 lb gypsum and 20 lb oyster shell for one plant. It will be a 100 cubic ft bed :) Let it rest for 3 weeks and then plant and water till harvest

Trinity - I'll definitely do that. Next year I intend to do half coco plants and half organic on the hill. Not to mention various other outdoor projects on different property.

So I'll put that to the test for sure. I wanna do something like 500-1000 gallon raised beds of each.

Thanks for swingin back

Next year I'll be far more equipped to do some real comparisons...i.e start the organic clones in soil from the get go. Should be some nice side-by side comparison.

Great grow!!

Even better setting aaaaaaaaah,i cant amagine..
Thas a hole lot better than my musty moldy swamp 100+ temps!
The air looks so crisp an clean it makes me dream of cali.....
What a beautiful place,stay safe.

Yeah, ALWAYS sunny. It hovers in the 90's to 100's most days..but the plants love it!

Cheers

megayields

Grower of Connoisseur herb's.
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I cannot even begin to think what trimming is going to be like....I just got done doing only 5 packs and my hands still hurt, (sigh) I have 10 outdoor going atm, closes eyes....I see a TrimPro in your and mine future!

I cannot even begin to think what trimming is going to be like....I just got done doing only 5 packs and my hands still hurt, (sigh) I have 10 outdoor going atm, closes eyes....I see a TrimPro in your and mine future!

More like a twister.

I hit up trimscenes, but they're out until next month. And the price seems to be ever climbing (16k + tax)

Fortunately one of my neighbor friends offered to let me use his :D :D :D

I've got 5 or so people coming from the midwest to help w/ the ordeal...a few staying permanently.

I'm not too worried about it TBH. If it takes half a year, so be it. W/ the actual trimming that is.

The plants need to be stripped pronto..buds dried. After that I'm in absolutely no rush.

At the moment we building drying racks to put into the 20' cargo trailer. Gonna order a santa fe or phoenix and just have it sealed/humidity controlled.

Should work slick, i'll document as it happens.

Cheers, updates tonight