What's new

24kw 18 plants (what is the best hydro system for me)

joe fresh

Mentor
Veteran
sounds like a pretty solid setup, the only thing i can think i would change is instead of the a/c i would have gotten a bigger chiller and ditched the a/c, im using 2 3 ton water cooled a/c's and they cost me 6k for both, plus instalation(800$). if i could go back i would get a chiller worth 6k because you can do so much with them, and you can mount an a-frame radiator with the cool water going though it and a large fan blowing on it....or get "iceboxes" if you were doing a horizontal setup....and then the water cooled dehumidifier...ect the works...all that with a good big chiller, no a/c.....

but i have no choice i already got 2 a/c's to run my 2 rooms, but if i had to go back i would choose a large chiller and go water cooled everything....right now i run drain to waste on my 2 water cooled a/c's and my 2 water cooled hydro gen pro's

BTW---pricy starting up isnt it?...hehe...to date with start up costs and rent/elec im up to 66k......ill be clearing that debt this harvest.....bout fukking time, lol.

zenoonez

Veteran
sounds like a pretty solid setup, the only thing i can think i would change is instead of the a/c i would have gotten a bigger chiller and ditched the a/c, im using 2 3 ton water cooled a/c's and they cost me 6k for both, plus instalation(800$). if i could go back i would get a chiller worth 6k because you can do so much with them, and you can mount an a-frame radiator with the cool water going though it and a large fan blowing on it....or get "iceboxes" if you were doing a horizontal setup....and then the water cooled dehumidifier...ect the works...all that with a good big chiller, no a/c.....

but i have no choice i already got 2 a/c's to run my 2 rooms, but if i had to go back i would choose a large chiller and go water cooled everything....right now i run drain to waste on my 2 water cooled a/c's and my 2 water cooled hydro gen pro's

BTW---pricy starting up isnt it?...hehe...to date with start up costs and rent/elec im up to 66k......ill be clearing that debt this harvest.....bout fukking time, lol.

Fucking ouch 66k. That is why people shouldn't think they can just move to cali and make it. Start up costs are a bitch no doubt.

D

DHF

Damn Joe Fresh......I`ve heard of strain whore`s , but I believe you`re the first "equipment whore" I`ve run up on....LOL.......and Sands is runnin a close 2nd........

Respect.....Yas get out of directly whatchas put inta sumthin ......cause and effect...return on investment......and as yas said above , the shit`s free after this run...66K`s a good lick at one time....

OK Sands....I was just sayin what I`d do if I was ta bust out cuz I got pallets of baled coco in storage and the shit`s simple , cheap , and babyshit ta run DTW.......but.......

Ebb and flow buckets are my 2nd fav setup and yas already got sum experience with em.....and.....looks like you`ve already done a helluva job designing the buckets.......now....what I did with my 5 gal ebb and flow buckets was....

I ran inline pumps outside the rez`s instead of submersibles for no heat gain , and both feed and drain pumps were on separate timers.....

Never ran a controller bucket per se , but rather ran an extra covered bucket in each room with an industrial float switch wired back to the feed pumps as a failsafe device.......that way , it didn`t matter if the buckets filled up faster to overflow level as rootmass increased/displaced volume , cuz the float switch would kill the feed pump if the timer didn`t win the race.......as in no flooding......guaranteed.....

Those manufactured or even DIY controller buckets with the bullshit cheapass float switches at different levels for flood and drain , along with a timer strapped to the bucket are a joke......they work , but are an accident waiting to happen....and has.....many times.....

Seen many many nightmare stories bout the lil float switches gettin stuck from residual salt buildup OR bullshit timers stuck in the feed cycle and or pure failures , and folks walkin into their setups with all the juice on the floor instead of the buckets.....

Use overkill pumps and BLAST the feed to the containers so it will push out all the old stagnant air in the bottoms as well upper medium......faster the feed the better IME.....keeps roots blasted away from the feed/drain holes also.....but.....

For added insurance , I used ebb and flow table overflow fittings with the screens plumbed into my feed/drainlines on the insides of my bottom buckets... then.....

SUCK the feed back to the rez as fast as possible to pull as much fresh O2 back down through the upper buckets holding the medium..results..?..explosive and "fast" building of rootmass that guarantees results above on the plants where it counts.......

Gotta say you`re choosing a pretty much bulletproof system once dialed that`ll practically run itself , but I never ran a chiller except with my krusty buckets full 24/7 recirculating......just wasn`t needed with smaller rooms and less light on my ebb and flow buckets , but I can see where 12KW worth of lights might tend to work on rootzone temps , but only if the a/c`s weren`t doin their job.....guess it`ll be added insurance for yas and that`s not a bad thing..........also......

It`s not a good thing to have less roots in the bottoms as in your 6 gal inside a 10 gal container between feeds due to the amount of air that`ll cause premature drying out of the rootmasses and prolly promote "cord root" growth/root spinning for preservation of juice for the plants above and hurt bottom line yields from diverting energy to something stress related.......go look at Heathie`s thread and find the cordroot post with pics.....it`s on the last few pages.....so......however long it takesta fill the 10 gal containers with rootmass till after end of stretch will be required IME....

Ebb and flow buckets don`t run like undercurrents or mpb`s , much less like Heathie`s original design.....don`t mistake bigger bottom containers for your setup as bein better without knowing the consequences cuz Ebb and flow buckets are timed fed , not fully recirculatiing.......and......

Last but most important is watts per sq ft with every lumen thet gets past the plants to be reflected right back at em.....Reflectix is the shit.......I see yas bought pandafilm....it`ll haveta do......

As I said above bigger rooms swallow light instead of concentrating it , so think about bustin up those rooms down the road and get more perpetual with more rooms , easier dialed environments , with increased yields per yr guaranteed.....

9 plants with 12 KW ain`t much different from 8 plants in 2 rooms with 10 KW and yer savin 2 KW fer another room with increased yields for the win...each plant gettin a 5 x 5 footprint and not havingta compete for sq ftg or environment with bunch more plants in the room ......Hell......I used wallbanger a/c`s for my krusty rooms...tightass over here.....

Now I`ve written a damn book and only touched on the main thingies needed for optimum results , but you catch the drift....Just tryin ta help yas keep from makin the mistakes I made before dialin shit in cuz as you and Joe Fresh already noted.......

This shit costs buncha cash ta do it right , and crop failure`s not an option in my book , and on the job training OR solid tech support is priceless.....Read my sig......

Take care and good luck.......DHF......:ying:.....

SANDS

Damn Joe Fresh......I`ve heard of strain whore`s , but I believe you`re the first "equipment whore" I`ve run up on....LOL.......and Sands is runnin a close 2nd........

Respect.....Yas get out of directly whatchas put inta sumthin ......cause and effect...return on investment......and as yas said above , the shit`s free after this run...66K`s a good lick at one time....

OK Sands....I was just sayin what I`d do if I was ta bust out cuz I got pallets of baled coco in storage and the shit`s simple , cheap , and babyshit ta run DTW.......but.......

Ebb and flow buckets are my 2nd fav setup and yas already got sum experience with em.....and.....looks like you`ve already done a helluva job designing the buckets.......now....what I did with my 5 gal ebb and flow buckets was....

I ran inline pumps outside the rez`s instead of submersibles for no heat gain , and both feed and drain pumps were on separate timers.....

Never ran a controller bucket per se , but rather ran an extra covered bucket in each room with an industrial float switch wired back to the feed pumps as a failsafe device.......that way , it didn`t matter if the buckets filled up faster to overflow level as rootmass increased/displaced volume , cuz the float switch would kill the feed pump if the timer didn`t win the race.......as in no flooding......guaranteed.....

Those manufactured or even DIY controller buckets with the bullshit cheapass float switches at different levels for flood and drain , along with a timer strapped to the bucket are a joke......they work , but are an accident waiting to happen....and has.....many times.....

Seen many many nightmare stories bout the lil float switches gettin stuck from residual salt buildup OR bullshit timers stuck in the feed cycle and or pure failures , and folks walkin into their setups with all the juice on the floor instead of the buckets.....

Use overkill pumps and BLAST the feed to the containers so it will push out all the old stagnant air in the bottoms as well upper medium......faster the feed the better IME.....keeps roots blasted away from the feed/drain holes also.....but.....

For added insurance , I used ebb and flow table overflow fittings with the screens plumbed into my feed/drainlines on the insides of my bottom buckets... then.....

SUCK the feed back to the rez as fast as possible to pull as much fresh O2 back down through the upper buckets holding the medium..results..?..explosive and "fast" building of rootmass that guarantees results above on the plants where it counts.......

Gotta say you`re choosing a pretty much bulletproof system once dialed that`ll practically run itself , but I never ran a chiller except with my krusty buckets full 24/7 recirculating......just wasn`t needed with smaller rooms and less light on my ebb and flow buckets , but I can see where 12KW worth of lights might tend to work on rootzone temps , but only if the a/c`s weren`t doin their job.....guess it`ll be added insurance for yas and that`s not a bad thing..........also......

It`s not a good thing to have less roots in the bottoms as in your 6 gal inside a 10 gal container between feeds due to the amount of air that`ll cause premature drying out of the rootmasses and prolly promote "cord root" growth/root spinning for preservation of juice for the plants above and hurt bottom line yields from diverting energy to something stress related.......go look at Heathie`s thread and find the cordroot post with pics.....it`s on the last few pages.....so......however long it takesta fill the 10 gal containers with rootmass till after end of stretch will be required IME....

Ebb and flow buckets don`t run like undercurrents or mpb`s , much less like Heathie`s original design.....don`t mistake bigger bottom containers for your setup as bein better without knowing the consequences cuz Ebb and flow buckets are timed fed , not fully recirculatiing.......and......

Last but most important is watts per sq ft with every lumen thet gets past the plants to be reflected right back at em.....Reflectix is the shit.......I see yas bought pandafilm....it`ll haveta do......

As I said above bigger rooms swallow light instead of concentrating it , so think about bustin up those rooms down the road and get more perpetual with more rooms , easier dialed environments , with increased yields per yr guaranteed.....

9 plants with 12 KW ain`t much different from 8 plants in 2 rooms with 10 KW and yer savin 2 KW fer another room with increased yields for the win...each plant gettin a 5 x 5 footprint and not havingta compete for sq ftg or environment with bunch more plants in the room ......Hell......I used wallbanger a/c`s for my krusty rooms...tightass over here.....

Now I`ve written a damn book and only touched on the main thingies needed for optimum results , but you catch the drift....Just tryin ta help yas keep from makin the mistakes I made before dialin shit in cuz as you and Joe Fresh already noted.......

This shit costs buncha cash ta do it right , and crop failure`s not an option in my book , and on the job training OR solid tech support is priceless.....Read my sig......

Take care and good luck.......DHF......:ying:.....
Thanks DHF you always keep me thinkin.
I do have two other wall bangers as a back up and DHF you have me contemplating a 5 room build out with the lung room and 4 smaller rooms around it running two rooms at a time. My other mentor I guess you would call him said somethin about losing light also. I was wondering what the veg time looked like in your 10x10 rooms. Was that 5 gal ebb& flow or krusty?

66k Damn son that is alot of loot I am feeling you a little haha. Whats funny is I almost bought a 5 ton chill king and 24 ice boxes and cool tubes $$$$$$$. Anyway for the upfront cost of all of that I couldnt justify the savings based on efficiency. the numbers didnt add up in the short term like 6 months when I will pay for this stuff.

Also I am very cheap also but Like you said DHF a fool and his money will soon part so I want to do it right.

Still gonna buy dehueys and smell is not an issue as I have purchased 51 acres in the mountains to make my greenhouse heaven. And it happened to have a 40x35 out building with 200 amps and a shit ton of brand new insulation. Not to far from the house tho still gonna have to run the hose. Um I didnt mention the RO system purchased or the 5.5 liter Bloombastic hehe.....

D

DHF

Buy appropriate Santa Fe dehuey`s and condition the lung room before shootin fresh air in the rooms.....saves cash and will maintain all the rooms instead of a dehuey per room since you`re frugal like me...........

I`ve never run CO2 , but hydrogen`s watercooled then no heat gain in the room is a good thing.....

I`ve never run anything but 5 gal buckets with krusty`s or ebb and flow buckets Bro....Even when I went to coco , I went to 5 gal buckets DTW for my mom plants from advice by Blue Haze ,and once I saw the explosive growth comparable to what I`d run in hydro but without all the bells and whistles.....I was hooked.......

Good luck and holler if I can help......DHF.......:ying:.....

SANDS

No hand watering

No hand watering

I am gonna look at dtw and coco for a few hours but let me say this will not be the only setup I tend, so hand watering is deff not an option.

Mr Celsius

I am patient with stupidity but not with those who
Veteran
Do whatever system you're comfortable with and do it just like you've been successful with before.

Do not reinvent the wheel with large projects, should be rule #1.

Tactician

A tutorial would be extensive, it takes a couple days to build one of these units, with all the wiring, connections, fabrication, etc. A first year apprentice should be able to build units like these. Since there are internal views, you can view as a blueprint to build.

I would love to hear more about these loadcenters. I want to build something similiar and would love to see a tutorial or really anything you would be willing to share about creating load centers with plc's.

D

DHF

Yep........Ebb and Flow buckets are bulletproof once dialed.....it`ll take a lil bit ta get em big , but you`ll not be disapointed....if......yas keep em happy once they start drinkin mid-late flower........

Never ran big plants ebb and flow , but you`ll haveta flood more ta keep em happy....

Good luck Bro........DHF.....:ying:...