What's new

240 Ballast Wiring Question

G

Is rewiring a 120v ballast to 240v a matter of changing the cord/plug and hooking to the 240v tab on the transformer? Currently the positive clips to one of four terminals on the transformer (marked as 120v)...Looks like I can just unplug it and reconnect to the 240v prong.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
DKF

Einsteinguy

Hey Dan
Do you have make and model or pic ? I have seen some wiring diagrams of dif ballasts on the net. If you can't find yours find a couple different ones and you will see they all work pretty much the same. Be careful !!!! :yoinks:
Sometimes wiring diagram is printed inside ballast somewhere

Einstein :wave:

G

Hey, Einstein.

There is a schematic on the transformer, and to me, it seems all I need to do is switch the tap on the ballast to the 240v slot. Assuming the other components (ignitor, capacitor) are ok at higher voltage.

It is a Sunlight Supply Sunsystem I 400W HPS.

I know an electrician I can ask, but will have to make up some sort of story so he doesn't know why I am asking! I'm sure I could also Email the company...Thought I'd check here first.

Don't worry I'm a super safe grower...I don't take chances with electricity. Will only do it if I know for sure.

Thanks,
DKF

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
You are right Dan...Thats all you do..It is a multitap transformer..alot of ballasts have a switch to do just that on the front..only 1/2 the current load at 240V then 120V
Remember in AC there is no positive or negative...that's for DC, only Hot(Line) & Neutral in AC..They switch back and forth positive to negative 60 times a second 60Hz..

G

Hey PacPuff...Thanks sharing the knowledge! I figured it out already though. Didn't even have to buy a new cord set...just got a $2 plug at the hardware store and cut off the old one. A new plug, move one wire and I am back in business.

Just wired two new 240V outlets, and added 8 more 120 outlets. No more extenion cords here! The 400Watt works great at 240 and my meter spins much slower now. Got a 600 Watt digital 240v on the way for the other outlet.

My master plan is underway...Soon I will have the most efficient grow room imaginable...more bud per watt than anyone will believe! My giant buds will rule the world! (Insert demented laughter here.)

Be safe...
DKF

Latest posts

Latest posts