What's new

240 Ballast Wiring Question

G

Is rewiring a 120v ballast to 240v a matter of changing the cord/plug and hooking to the 240v tab on the transformer? Currently the positive clips to one of four terminals on the transformer (marked as 120v)...Looks like I can just unplug it and reconnect to the 240v prong.

Anyone know for sure?

Thanks.
DKF

Einsteinguy

Hey Dan
Do you have make and model or pic ? I have seen some wiring diagrams of dif ballasts on the net. If you can't find yours find a couple different ones and you will see they all work pretty much the same. Be careful !!!! :yoinks:
Sometimes wiring diagram is printed inside ballast somewhere

Einstein :wave:

G

Hey, Einstein.

There is a schematic on the transformer, and to me, it seems all I need to do is switch the tap on the ballast to the 240v slot. Assuming the other components (ignitor, capacitor) are ok at higher voltage.

It is a Sunlight Supply Sunsystem I 400W HPS.

I know an electrician I can ask, but will have to make up some sort of story so he doesn't know why I am asking! I'm sure I could also Email the company...Thought I'd check here first.

Don't worry I'm a super safe grower...I don't take chances with electricity. Will only do it if I know for sure.

Thanks,
DKF

packn2puff

IC Official Assistant to the Insistent
Veteran
You are right Dan...Thats all you do..It is a multitap transformer..alot of ballasts have a switch to do just that on the front..only 1/2 the current load at 240V then 120V
Remember in AC there is no positive or negative...that's for DC, only Hot(Line) & Neutral in AC..They switch back and forth positive to negative 60 times a second 60Hz..

G

Hey PacPuff...Thanks sharing the knowledge! I figured it out already though. Didn't even have to buy a new cord set...just got a $2 plug at the hardware store and cut off the old one. A new plug, move one wire and I am back in business.

Just wired two new 240V outlets, and added 8 more 120 outlets. No more extenion cords here! The 400Watt works great at 240 and my meter spins much slower now. Got a 600 Watt digital 240v on the way for the other outlet.

My master plan is underway...Soon I will have the most efficient grow room imaginable...more bud per watt than anyone will believe! My giant buds will rule the world! (Insert demented laughter here.)

Be safe...
DKF