What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

♥ 24 days veg, first aero grow, problem

F. Dupp

Veteran
Woo hoo. We be growin' now! Time to graduate to the big boy pants...

The act of pruning isn't fun. No one enjoys tossing out growth hand over fist. That said, plants love it and our mission, in limited space, is to max the cab rather than the plant. Small cabs haven't the space to allow plants to reach full potential. As long as you pack the cab, corner to corner, with 100% pure bud, your mission is a success.

Lol.

Cut the bottom shit off those plants, Bio1.

Before
Day37racks12.jpg

After
Day37racks12Lpopped.jpg

This was done about 8 days ago. The plants have already completely filled in again, have been sexed, the males culled, and will have the remaining lower branches cut off to make clones on Monday. Bottom branches drain the plants resources. I get a better yeild when I remove the lower 2/3 of the plants and the bud is better quality. No popcorn.

F. Dupp

Veteran
Derp. Sorry, that pic was taken a couple days ago. Sensi star is whats currently making me dumb. Im converting to HPS as Im like a week into flower.

Todays actual pic
HPS.jpg

Thanks, Injoy.

InJoy

Growin like weeds aren't they...

Very nice i LUV when you prune plants aggressivly as you did and then they come stronger and better for it, few years ago that was frowned on by many still is but pics like this must change a few minds.NO?

respect.gif

bio1

so i did some (mild) pruning today, which is day #6 in flower. from now on i will feed them full strength lucas formula which is just above 10ml micro / 20ml bloom per 5l.

i think i could have gone a bit more agressive with the pruning, but still dont too sure about that ;P

picture.php

picture.php

InJoy

Lookin good it's hard takin scissors to our loved ones but look at it like this your taking xtra care of them and they will thank you for it just like F Dupp's bounced back.

imo you could take away a couple of the inner fan leaves that are blocking penetration many say no to this as well i say don't be afraid especially in veg.

Nice job they look Good.

bio1

little update: today is day 16 in flower. they are developing just nice i guess, did some more cutting of small budsides few days ago.
also this is a good exampel of how different plants can be, even though they come from the same package.

the left plant is kind of my "dream plant". it seems alot more indica, fat leaves, really bushy plant. looks healthier and if i had the space i'd clone it. two of them would be able to fill the entire cabinet, no questions asked.

the right plant in comparison has more sativa like features. it stretched more, even though i topped it. it has thinner leaves and looks kinda week.

i still see my pH wander towards 4.8 all the time. cant figure out why it is like that. i already tried to mix some tap water into the r0, but it doesnt work. over a time of 24 hours, ph will drop below 5 and will settle at 4.8. so i readjust it about every day... :/

ec is at 1.8 atm

pics:
picture.php

picture.php

They grow fast, nice plants :)

About the pH, are you using ferts designed for RO water ? I had a similar problem, when I used hardwater ferts with my softwater.
After I've changed my ferts accordingly, all problems related with pH stability vanished.

Just my 2 cents :)

bio1

thanks for you input. im using gh bloom and gh micro. they should be usable for r0 water, since the lucas formula is using them with r0 water.

its kinda strange~

the last 2 days however went very nice. no ph drops whatsoever. actually they started @ ph 5.5 and it started to rise till ~6.0 then i added new nutes and it was at 5.5 again and it started climbing again. (bad english, lol)

so at least for now, everything is cool. will post new pictures tomorrow, budsited are starting do develope and they are starting to smell. i just hope my activated-charcoal will do a good job since i live in an apartment.

bio1

so things aint lookin' good. the right plant (the smaller one) is really yellowing up - i know that this is what they do during flowering but i never experienced it this heavy in such an early stage so far.

the left (big) plant is showing some kind of def, probably MG def? maybe someone can tell me what to do :S

Day 36:
picture.php

picture.php

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
When I drop my pH below 5.8 I always have mag lockouts.
This is because you try to hold to a specific pH. Everything you're quoting is inaccurate for cannabis for optimum growth.

As has been stated previously, several times, the absolute best nutrition for cannabis is achieved when a full pH swing between 5.2 and 5.8 is achieved regularly. Holding a narrow pH range is tough on the plants and uses a lot of extra pH up/down.

Bio1:

1. You should be setting your pH at around 5.4 until you find out how low it goes between top ups on the reservoir. If it doesn't get down to 5.2 before you top-off the first few days.... set your starting pH a bit lower the next time.

2. You're not feeding them enough... any lower and they're going to start eating themselves... bump up the feed to at least 700-800 @.5 conversion.

3.... You're doing great :D Keep it up!

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

1. You should be setting your pH at around 5.4 until you find out how low it goes between top ups on the reservoir. If it doesn't get down to 5.2 before you top-off the first few days.... set your starting pH a bit lower the next time.

2. You're not feeding them enough... any lower and they're going to start eating themselves... bump up the feed to at least 700-800 @.5 conversion.

Hello my friend :-D You seem to chime in a lot around here :-D as do I ever since I became active again...no idea where my post count or past post went though... lol I left here for about 2-3 years...but im back now :-D

So my friend I have to ask you to help my clear something up in my mind :-D

this is for vegging plants
say you got rain water that has a pH of about 8 - 8.5, rather high, i live in the hills lol

Im adding advanced nutes 3 part at 7ml per gallon, use 4 gallons in 3 buckets
I get a final ppm of 800...i think thats 1.4ec? (oh ya its mini RDWC as well) This ppm is kinda way to high for my liking personally. But ill deal with it.

now my pH after letting it sit for a day is about 6.9 - 7.1
VERY yellow in the vial, I use liquid reagent...all the meters I have
ever had always seem to be fucked up... what compare to a reagent
test and they always came up jacked up....so ya cant question colors :-D

one thing im interested in is how much pH down(GH brand)
would I have to use till im reaching high lvls of phosphorous?(its phosphorous right?)
so far I have used about 4 ml to the total of 12 gallons.

also the plants dont fully have roots yet... that have just been put into these buckets from cloner, so only little guys.

and also... I thought if the pH is going DOWN... that means the plants are taking in more water then nutes?

tried to make it a short question... not trying to hijack :-D

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
I thought if the pH is going DOWN... that means the plants are taking in more water then nutes?

True. Leaving nutes behind causes nute buildup, nutes are acids, more acids mean lower pH.

I found GH pH Down to be little better than vinegar. Have had much better success with Advanced Nutrients version.

AbeFroman

MY PH stays very stable through out my grows. So I control fluctuate the PH between 5.6 and 6.1 very moderately. . But i agree that it looks like they are Mg deficient. Are you running RO water? I used to have the same issues but now I run around 6ml/gallon of Cal/Mag on top of my base nutrients and never seen it come back again. PPM levels don't really tell you much about what the total concentration is of specific macro/micro nutrients in your solution. Although I agree that PPM fluctuations can tell you if your plant is a heavy feeder or not.

I never had good luck running Lucas I personally think the Cal/MG levels are insufficient for some strains (personal opinion I know how the die hard Lucas people can get). I switched to Aquaflakes and never looked back. Although I still never never had the nerves to try running the flakes without Cal/Mag after learning my lesson.

One other issue you may have is lack of fresh air if you are closing that closet door and the only supplementation is that little fan. Fresh air circulation goes a LONG WAY.

Hydro-Soil

Veteran
My new, little mountain town, crystal clear water is too low to measure (lower than 0.1) and growing is a nightmare. My pH climbed 1.0-1.5 every day no matter the feed levels.

Your training is whack.

Stop trying to grow your old way and quit fighting the clean water. Set your pH at 5.2 and LET IT RISE.... work on getting that rise to be close to a week before it hits 6.0. (Edit: Maybe you need to use R/O there too? Doesn't take much of the wrong element to mess you up.)

Work WITH the swing.... I know it's hard because you've been doing the opposite for years. I've been doing the pH up swing for nearly a decade. *shrug* Works awesome and is repeatable by ANYONE with R/O water.

R/O is awesome. :D (Edit: Quit hating on it and steering people away from R/O machines!)

Stay Safe! :blowbubbles:

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Set your pH at 5.2 and LET IT RISE.... work on getting that rise to be close to a week before it hits 6.0.

Been there, done that. Now to get it back to working correctly. EC and pH in opposite directions is old as the hills. A timeless classic that works for untold millions all over the globe.

bio1

so i've been flushing them for the last few days and plan to harvest the next days, as soon as i feel they are ready.

so i will post some pictures soon.

Latest posts

Latest posts