What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

20x55 ft green house in colorado, soil question

COgreen

So my buddy and I got a spot to run a green house this spring/summer. we already have the frame and end walls build just need to put plastic on it. we have that, just been raining here.

my question is, we have 30 plants that we are going to put in with supplemental lighting. putting these in 100 gallon smart pots, is this going to be too tight?

also what is everyone using for soil to fill these 100 gallon smart pots? its basically 4 bales or pro mix per 100 gallon smart pot.

what is a good soil mix to use? both indoor growers, first time going in the green house, i run coco indoors.

panick503

When I went outdoors for the first time a coupla years ago, I used a mix of coco, peat, and perlite in 200 gallon smarties full season. Just fed it like indoor, worked out great for me...

PlantLuv77

In my humble opinion its gonna be a mess with that many plants. It can cause problems with humidity, mold, fungus, bugs and no room to move around and spot problems and watering etc.
Here is how I see it 20x55=1100sqf divided by 30 plants 1100/30=36.6 sqf. So your plants each get 6x6 plot. Thats no room in between the plants they will out grow that 6x6 area before flower with no supplemental light. Look for a thread here by a person named doublejj and his thread is costco carport greenhouse 2011. He has about half the size of your greenhouse and only nine plants and it looks tight. You could put up a second greenhouse or do some light dep if its in your budget and you have the time and want to use all 30 plants. Good luck I hope we get to see your results.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hi[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] [/FONT]

ClearBarbedFunk

lost in the Haze
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I have 12 x 25, 8 full season plants and your on your knees waterin. I use it now for light dep.

My outdoor grow spot is 30 x 40, 20 plants in 100gal smart pots, can't get between um late in season.

I fill with FFOF, 8 bags, I nute with veg nutes at start of flower, end July,flower nutes end of August till mid sept.
CBF

COgreen

hey, thanks for the imput. we have been talking about building a 2nd green house, out of PVC pipe and rebar, my buddy has used them in cali in the past. im not going to buy another green house till the winter. its going to be a nicer one that what i currently have. the one we have was 1500, with plastic, but no ends, no grount posts or wiggle wire stuff. basically open ended hoop house with plastic. its a one year thing, get my feet wet in the greenhouse game and then upgrade over the winter before next season. have a place locked down to set up a nicer, more perminant structure.

for soil we are going to use bales of promix and chunky peralite.

is there a fairly cheap route to go for a decent soil mix?

COgreen

i guess i cant edit since I have always been a lurker. but we have realized we dont have enough space, so we have been talking about doing light dep. or building the pvc green house.

strains for the green house are, blue dream, mob boss, golden goat, black berry kush.

I am going to the green house location tomorrow, so i will snap some pictures, its put up, end walls built and 2x4's run 4 ft up from the ground for the wiggle wire.

COgreen

Also realized we didnt need as much promix as i originally thought. they basically double in size when uncompressed, I have not opened a bale of promix in 8 or 9 yrs, I use coco now on my indoor. so each bale comes out to about 7.5 cu ft, at 7cu ft, it comes out to 44 gallons of dirt per bale. so we can use 2 bales per 100 gallon smart pot.

25x55

25x55

I used pro mix a couple years back full sun in 100 gal smart pots and feed botanicare feed and they were pumped. Just make sure to trellis early, they can get ahead of you real quick

highcountrygrow

i did 8 plants in an 10 x 25 GH in 35 gal. Plants filled out the entire space perfectly. i might use 50 gal next time but don't think 100 gal is necessary for my space. Its also going to depend on the strains. Highly recommend growing some high yielding indicas if your trying to max your yield/ft2