What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2024 Market Gardens

hfm

So we've started for the year! Hooray!! Got a few onions in and then some lettuce.Heres a new pepper in f2- reaper X ornamental thai.We do a lot of permaculture farming and I will try to update this regular like ;) thanks for checking it out if that what you did,cheers.
1000009069.jpg
1000009070.jpg
1000009072.jpg
1000009073.jpg

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
So we've started for the year! Hooray!! Got a few onions in and then some lettuce.Heres a new pepper in f2- reaper X ornamental thai.We do a lot of permaculture farming and I will try to update this regular like ;) thanks for checking it out if that what you did,cheers.
View attachment 18972811 View attachment 18972812 View attachment 18972813 View attachment 18972814
Thanks for the post friend. I love basil and any other veg. grown outdoors. My health won't allow me outdoors much anymore but I love watching your garden. Keep us posted friend.

oldmaninbc

Just starting to get into cactus some,there might be aome others about still ;) View attachment 18977131
I am a fan of cactus. Have seen some spectacular cacti plants in commercial greenhouses.

Yours look healthy and doing well.

The worst problem I've had is when I brought home some cacti from a nursery that had mealy bugs. It took me quite awhile to get rid of them.

hfm

People have some neat ones for sure.My golden must have rotted during the winter,its spines were sloughing off and it started looking sunburnt but couldnt have been.So the main column got chopped and if it roots will go to a new home.The inside ring was blackening and getting mushy,poor little prickly.

hfm

I am a fan of cactus. Have seen some spectacular cacti plants in commercial greenhouses.

Yours look healthy and doing well.

The worst problem I've had is when I brought home some cacti from a nursery that had mealy bugs. It took me quite awhile to get rid of them.
If you want to show some pictures i'd sure love to see them :)

hfm

So we were looking at flower and leaf morphology between the parents.It looks like we picked up the reaper leaf and a flower that stays cupped like shown and is robust/thick but otherwise takes after the thai.
1000018415.jpg

oldmaninbc

People have some neat ones for sure.My golden must have rotted during the winter,its spines were sloughing off and it started looking sunburnt but couldnt have been.So the main column got chopped and if it roots will go to a new home.The inside ring was blackening and getting mushy,poor little prickly.
When I first noticed your chopped plants I thought you were doing cactus grafting.

oldmaninbc

Nope no grafts,just cuts that I give away.I'm not big into grafting,fruit trees some.Cactus are just for me to admire so they can go as slow as they want. :) Do you graft cactus at all?
I have never grafted a cactus, I seen some grafted cactus at a commercial greenhouse, the owner was a fan of cacti, she had grafted cacti that looked very interesting in an unusual appearance sense. In regards to making sales her blended cacti could not be reproduced from clones.
I just like the looks of cacti and some succulents. I don't have much space for houseplants and have to supplement lighting because of the large Douglas Fir trees that shade my windows. I have a few cactus plants, most are from clones. A couple of orchids. I had to get rid of some cacti that I had because of mealy bugs. I had them for many many years
There are a few cactus that grow wild here. The city hall has some in there yard, I think the next time that I am there a couple clones might just stick my pants and have to bring them home.
I had a prickly pear growing in a container, that I found growing wild in an empty lot down the street. The man who does truck delivery for Amazon etc. made a delivery here last year and he accidently bumped into container sitting on a small metal chair with prickly pear, he was wearing shorts, ouch! I had to get him a hemostat to pull out the spines.
By accident I put my hand into a cluster of prickly pear, they have barbs on the end of their spines. My spouse did something similar, man they hurt to take them out.
Cacti and orchids are my favorites.

hfm

I have never grafted a cactus, I seen some grafted cactus at a commercial greenhouse, the owner was a fan of cacti, she had grafted cacti that looked very interesting in an unusual appearance sense. In regards to making sales her blended cacti could not be reproduced from clones.
I just like the looks of cacti and some succulents. I don't have much space for houseplants and have to supplement lighting because of the large Douglas Fir trees that shade my windows. I have a few cactus plants, most are from clones. A couple of orchids. I had to get rid of some cacti that I had because of mealy bugs. I had them for many many years
There are a few cactus that grow wild here. The city hall has some in there yard, I think the next time that I am there a couple clones might just stick my pants and have to bring them home.
I had a prickly pear growing in a container, that I found growing wild in an empty lot down the street. The man who does truck delivery for Amazon etc. made a delivery here last year and he accidently bumped into container sitting on a small metal chair with prickly pear, he was wearing shorts, ouch! I had to get him a hemostat to pull out the spines.
By accident I put my hand into a cluster of prickly pear, they have barbs on the end of their spines. My spouse did something similar, man they hurt to take them out.
Cacti and orchids are my favorites.
Thats rad,we just picked up a new native opuntia,very spiney :)
Orchids are something that interest me,have you been growing them long?Is there one you might recommend for a starter?

oldmaninbc

Thats rad,we just picked up a new native opuntia,very spiney :)
Orchids are something that interest me,have you been growing them long?Is there one you might recommend for a starter?
I have 2 orchids, they are both Phalaenopsis; the first one was a gift from my wife, she got it about 10 years ago. It took me around 5 years to get it to bloom again. Last years flowering had over 20 individual flowers. Then I changed fertilizer this past year and got less flowers and more leaves that are a much darker green. Both fertilizers are for orchids by Schultz. The fertilizer that gave me the best blooming is 19-31-17 with micronutrients, the one that gave darker and more leaves but less flowers is 15-5-5. When you look at the numbers you can see why I got more leaves. Yet both fertilizers are for orchids. The 2nd orchid I've had for 2 years it was a gift from my neighbor.
I hope to find an orchid from the nursery this spring when we go for a few bedding plants. I would like to find one that appeals to me but not difficult to grow, perhaps a Bulbophyllum.
I really appreciate the long bloom time of my orchids. They usually flower around the middle of December and they are still in bloom as of today but the flowers are beginning to fade.
I checked out opuntia photos, some have very long spines.

I can get photos from my camera downloaded to the computer but I am not sure where they are going. I am trying to get them to go to photos but something is amiss.

hfm

Thats really neat stuff!Thank you for sharing so much information :)
I will look into the ones you stated and go from there.Do you do much teas?herbs and what not?

oldmaninbc

Thats really neat stuff!Thank you for sharing so much information :)
I will look into the ones you stated and go from there.Do you do much teas?herbs and what not?
I don't have much space for gardening; my yard is surrounded by big fir trees; the best spot for sunshine gets about 6hrs. I like to grow some sunflowers and feed the birds in the fall. Several years ago we planted a variety of wildflowers and the ones that took to our yard either seed themselves or are perennials. The columbine really took well and grow in several different colors. We planted a clematis a number of years ago. Snapdragons grow here and there. My neighbor gave us some plants, usually some sort of flowering plant.

I plant containers to grow herbs, cherry tomato and poppies, I am a big fan of poppies.
My wife likes to have a few containers with flowers.

My older age and health conditions have curtailed my gardening enthusiasm. It's unfortunate, I have gardened since the age of about 12, over 60 years, it's part of me.

hfm

Columbine and clematis are two we have in abundance :)
Looking to get into tinkering with them some to see if we cant get some new things popping off.She usually finds such unique things to bring home.Never did get into pods at all,though maybe down the road some. I've always wanted to go up to some of that country and see some of those beautiful trees northwestern forests,must be nice to have those smells hanging in the air :)

oldmaninbc

Columbine and clematis are two we have in abundance :)
Looking to get into tinkering with them some to see if we cant get some new things popping off.She usually finds such unique things to bring home.Never did get into pods at all,though maybe down the road some. I've always wanted to go up to some of that country and see some of those beautiful trees northwestern forests,must be nice to have those smells hanging in the air :)
I like this Japanese Garden not as elaborate as some but I like it and visit often. In May the Rhododendrons are in full bloom. The one obvious photo that is different, one of several roadside markets in the village a 10 minute drive down the road from where we live.
1713371320488.jpeg
1713370891045.jpeg
1713370574782.jpeg
1713370474239.jpeg
1713311168754.jpeg
1713311033671.jpeg
1713310909577.jpeg