What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2024 Market Garden

Cantharellus

Well I started my first seeds of the year and as always have big plans that I am sure will get interrupted regularly. I haven't grown any flowers since I did some greenhouse work a few years ago but I started those first. I make pottery and finally got everything setup so as soon as spring gets here I am planning on making vases. I will need fresh cut flowers for my display at the farmers market. I have a yard that has a lot of grass and I need to get rid of that because I hate to mow. My first seeds for that are

51 pow wow coneflower
51 giant painted daisies

Peppers do good at the market you need the whole spectrum of colors to make the display pop. Hot peppers do not sell well here. I still grow a few but not quite yet. Cheese peppers are popular. These seeds originated in Hungary I believe. They call them cheese peppers because they resemble a famous pumpkin variety called cheese but they are smaller.

15 each of yellow,orange,and red cheese peppers
3 Orange Banana Tomatoes

I will grow these tomatoes big inside and then move them out hopefully into some sort of small greenhouse the end of April. They will then be put in the beds first or second week of June hopefully full of fruit. I am hoping to have some ripe tomatoes that I like to eat early season. I will be doing a few others this way in the coming days. We will see if it works.

I have in my garden already

Raspberries- Anne, Heritage, Polana, Double Gold

Asparagus- Millenium

Strawberries- Various alpine varieties and Ozark Beauty

Blueberries- numerous varieties all doing sort of average at best

Plum trees - Superior and Alderman. The superior are excellent.

Shiitake logs - I did one set of logs two years ago and they fruited first time last year. I did another set this year. Primarily in Ironwood but I tried a few in what I think is basswood. The logs were cut for me by a friend and he brought me a mixed pile. I for sure got all the ironwood out because its the best. I now have about 30 logs.

Morel bed- This is a work in progress. I ordered the spawn 2 years ago and got sick and couldn't get the bed done. It sat in my fridge until last spring so I am guessing it won't work. I will redo the bed this spring with fresh material. It generally takes 2 years to see anything. If they come up they will be later than natural morels as they are a different variety.

That's where I am at for now. All suggestions are welcome.

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
Well I started my first seeds of the year and as always have big plans that I am sure will get interrupted regularly. I haven't grown any flowers since I did some greenhouse work a few years ago but I started those first. I make pottery and finally got everything setup so as soon as spring gets here I am planning on making vases. I will need fresh cut flowers for my display at the farmers market. I have a yard that has a lot of grass and I need to get rid of that because I hate to mow. My first seeds for that are

51 pow wow coneflower
51 giant painted daisies

Peppers do good at the market you need the whole spectrum of colors to make the display pop. Hot peppers do not sell well here. I still grow a few but not quite yet. Cheese peppers are popular. These seeds originated in Hungary I believe. They call them cheese peppers because they resemble a famous pumpkin variety called cheese but they are smaller.

3 Orange Banana Tomatoes

I will grow these tomatoes big inside and then move them out hopefully into some sort of small greenhouse the end of April. They will then be put in the beds first or second week of June hopefully full of fruit. I am hoping to have some ripe tomatoes that I like to eat early season. I will be doing a few others this way in the coming days. We will see if it works.

Asparagus- Millenium

Shiitake logs - I did one set of logs two years ago and they fruited first time last year. I did another set this year. Primarily in Ironwood but I tried a few in what I think is basswood. The logs were cut for me by a friend and he brought me a mixed pile. I for sure got all the ironwood out because its the best. I now have about 30 logs.

Morel bed- This is a work in progress. I ordered the spawn 2 years ago and got sick and couldn't get the bed done. It sat in my fridge until last spring so I am guessing it won't work. I will redo the bed this spring with fresh material. It generally takes 2 years to see anything. If they come up they will be later than natural morels as they are a different variety.

Sounds like you are getting a good start on the growing Season. I love to garden too. Friend post some photos of your garden and I will too.

Rgd

Veteran
too much snow here now,,but

IMG_6480.JPG
IMG_6482.JPG

oldmaninbc

51 pow wow coneflower
51 giant painted daisies

3 Orange Banana Tomatoes

Asparagus- Millenium

A fellow I know who has a market garden(area population 200,000+) does well selling cut flowers, specialty potatoes, garlic and berries. He can cater to those who like heirloom products. He has grow wheat, selling it in small bundles, it is very attractive in it's fall colors.
I live in an area that is rich with orchards, vineyards and market gardens. The surrounding area where I live has a population of 5,000 the main highway through town has many fruit stands. Fresh corn, tomatoes, peppers, squash, garlic, etc. I see people from the bigger cities come here to a RV park hook up go to the fruit stands and buy produce and process at their RV site, canning fruits and vegetables.

Cantharellus

Ok so my flowers are growing. In addition to the painted daisies and echenacia, I also planted cosmos,zinnias, and delphinium. Peppers and tomatoes are also up and running. Here are some of last year's shiitake and veggies.
20231101_125800.jpg
20230906_152504.jpg