What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Diary 2023 on the Chernozem: Zacateca Tribute and PCK crosses

yoss33

Veteran
Unfortunately the Purple Mexican x PCK is also dying from termites. These pests can cause enough damage before you even realise you have a problem. Gotta be better prepared next year...

Purple Mexican x PCK
View media item 18713143
View media item 18713144

Kullu x ZamKullu
View media item 18713145
View media item 18713146

China Yunnan x PCK
View media item 18713148
View media item 18713147
View media item 18713149
View media item 18713150
View media item 18713151
View media item 18713152
View media item 18713153

RobFromTX

My finished Zacatecas. A pleasure growing this strain

Attachments

• IMG_20230829_085159122.jpg
    IMG_20230829_085159122.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_20230830_170735489.jpg
    IMG_20230830_170735489.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20230830_170630797.jpg
    IMG_20230830_170630797.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 79

yoss33

Veteran
Looks proper, Rob! Congratulations! I'm curious if the effect of your ZT will become more stimulating with some curing. Also, if there are any differences in the highs of the different phenos.
I have a small seedling of Kullu x Zacateca Tribute and its stem smells strongly of citrus fruit, like the ZT father. Will see if it manages to produce some flowers before the winter, to have a taste of the high, but anyways I'm tempted to grow a big plant of these seeds next year.
There also are 4 (Purple Mexican x PCK) x Zacateca Tribute seedlings next to it and they are very vigorous and with very smelly stems, with some variation in the smell, but all of them very attractive and dopey.
I also have 1 Purple Mexican x (Kullu x ZamKullu), which is still very small, seems to have this very slow PCK start.
View media item 18713346

Kullu x ZamKullu, still not starting to flower, like pure Kullu, and unlike ZamKullu, Zam x ZamKullu and pure Zamaldelica, which all start to strongly preflower in the second half of August.
View media item 18713347

Purple Mexican x PCK
Here's a photo of the damage done by the termites (a layer of the wood under the bark eaten all around the stem, it was all hollow under the bark, full of termites, and bark and insides rotting). I sprayed with a pyrethroid, so they are all dead now, but the rot is there. The tops of the plant are still somehow not dead, even with some frost appearing and with a delicious flowery yet hashy perfume smell. It seems I'll be able to harvest some bits.
View media item 18713348
View media item 18713349
View media item 18713350
View media item 18713351

China Yunnan x PCK
The China Yunnan mother was very trouble-free last year at the same place, and so is its child this year. This plant smells from afar in wind direction and when close to it. Smells more like CY than like PCK, but still the PCK presence can be noticed in how complex and tasty the smell is. Not as delicious as the PM x PCK though.
View media item 18713352
View media item 18713353
View media item 18713354
View media item 18713355
View media item 18713356
View media item 18713357

yoss33

Veteran
Wow, Koko, 24 years? Only pure Haze genes and harvest in first week of October?

I harvested the Purple Mexican x PCK, these very small undeveloped buds are actually very pleasant to smoke. The early sample of China Yunnan x PCK is also smooth and pleasant.

The China Yunnan x PCK keeps on:
View media item 18713636
View media item 18713637
View media item 18713638
View media item 18713639
View media item 18713640
View media item 18713641
View media item 18713642
View media item 18713643
View media item 18713644

kokomarin

Hi Yoss,looking nice...
No way to have only pure haze genes in our area outdoor,tropical african ,also.
Pure haze cross othxohxoh90 stil not in flowering.,if survive winter,maybe can finished till april.
24 years strain in area have nothing with haze,strain for rivers banks sowing with good high.
I trying to make autoxoh for myself ,3-4 months flowering with oh dom high ,smell and taste.
Lemon earty red in subtropical african benin was killer weed for me,35years ago.

yoss33

Veteran
An auto Haze that keeps a true Haze high sounds like a dream :) Maybe with some selection you can keep the autoflowering but select for more pure Haze effect, sounds like fun.

The China Yunnan x PCK got harvested 10 days ago, now it's in the paper bag. It was still producing new flowers, the weather continues to be fine, but I decided to chop because most pistils were brown, trichomes were half milky and smell became more delicate. Classic indica smells. The effect of uncured buds is delicious, with clear calm (but not boring) head and very pleasant body. It's just what I expected from this cross, knowing that both CY and PCK are pleasant indicas with a relatively clear head.
Only a few photos before harvest because my camera's batteries ran out and it was windy and half the photos were blurry.
View media item 18714140
View media item 18714141
View media item 18714142
View media item 18714143
View media item 18714144
View media item 18714145

yoss33

Veteran
Congrats on the successful harvest however small it was! :) I'm also curious how you find the smoke. A week ago I smoked from the harvest that my friend had from the ZT plant that I gave him. But it was after a whole day of smoking a Zamaldelica descendent (ZamZamKullu), so I still don't have a proper impression from sinsemilla ZT. My friend will soon give me a bud of ZT, so that I can try it (smoke a day only from it).

Perdido

Wow, @yoss33 , that China Yunnans turned out mighty, the buds also look very promising.
A smoke report would be very welcome.

I visited my Zamaldelica today (lat 48 Vienna)
I'm positive she's gonna finish - exciting :gaga:
I hope she'll make a second push of flowers. We have a few warm days now.

20231020_Zamaldelica 01.jpg

20231020_Zamaldelica 02.jpg

yoss33

Veteran
Hey, I'm a bit surprised that your Zamaldelica is so behind in flowering. I start my plants in March and the Zamaldelicas start to preflower strongly in August and start real flowering in the first days of September. Only the longest flowering Thai-leaning pheno from the 2012 pack was so slow, being ready in the first days of December on a friend's balcony.
Looks like younger plants are not so eager to flower. If you want to grow such tropical strains it seems to be worth starting them early, not for the size, but for the age.

We've been having great warm autumn, lots of sun and only a couple of showers for the whole of September and October. Unfortunately I don't have a big sativa plant to enjoy this, only the small tester plants are left. The soil is still very dry and I have to water regularly.

A view from my garden:
View media item 18714708
The patch of remaining small plants: KulluZamKuulu, PurpMexPCK x Zacateca Tribute, PurpMex x KulluZamKullu. I also had one Kullu x Zacateca Tribute but it turned out male. Both plants with ZT father (PurpMexPCK x ZT and Kullu x ZT) have tropical fruity stem smells just like ZT, so it seems to dominate in these crosses, at least in the smell. The PurpMexPCK x ZT has a delicious fruity flowering smell, just like ZT, with a touch of indica hash.
View media item 18714709
Kullu x ZamKullu. Smell and flowering is very similar to pure Kullu, smell is just a bit sweeter than the pure Kullu's herbal spice, rusty metal and mushrooms.
View media item 18714710
View media item 18714711
View media item 18714712
View media item 18714713
View media item 18714714

(Purple Mexican x PCK) x Zacateca Tribute, delicious smells and very frosty:
View media item 18714715
View media item 18714716
View media item 18714717
View media item 18714718
View media item 18714719
View media item 18714720

Purple Mexican x (Kullu x ZamKullu). This plant is just starting to flower, looks like the Kullu has slowed down the Purple Mexican a lot.
View media item 18714721

yoss33

Veteran
The weather is still nice, some rains at last. The forecasts are that after a week the cold weather with the first morning frosts will come. Now it's just very windy.
A week ago I harvested the tops of the KulluZamKullu and PurpleMexPCK x ZT to have some samples of their early high and left the lower parts of the plants to mature for a late harvest.
I've been smoking KulluZamKullu the last few days and there's no doubt that it has Zamaldelica in it. Even the 25% Zam genes add its strong initial hit, confident vibe and overall potency. But the high is still very clear, like Kullu, so it's a good balance, I definitely enjoy the result.
The uncured PurpleMexPCK x ZT has a strong yet comfortable hybrid high, somewhat bright and clear but still fairly hybrid (i.e. not so clear). It reminds me of the classic Dutch hybrids, maybe because it's a similar mix of Mexican (Skunk) and indica genes.

Some photos from a week ago:
View media item 18714969
View media item 18714970
View media item 18714971
View media item 18714972
View media item 18714973
View media item 18714974
View media item 18714975
View media item 18714976
View media item 18714977

And from yesterday between the rains:
View media item 18714978
View media item 18714979
View media item 18714980
View media item 18714981
View media item 18714982
View media item 18714983
View media item 18714984
View media item 18714985

yoss33

Veteran
Yeah, I live in a big town where we only have many trees broken from the wet snow, but in many villages they haven't had electricity (and water) for more than 24 hours. Including the village where my garden is. Yesterday, while watching through a camera that I have installed there, I saw how a tree in my property fell to the ground from the heavy cover of ice and snow. An hour later there was no connection to the camera and still isn't.
Several days ago I harvested what was remaining from the PMPCK x ZT and KulluZamKullu. The lagging Purple Mexican x KulluZamKullu, which is still in the process of starting to flower, without any trichomes, got a big plastic transparent bottle for a cover, let's see if it will survive this cold wave.

yoss33

Veteran
Happy 2024, everyone!
I finally tried the sinsemilla Zacateca Tribute grown by my friend. I've been smoking it for the last several days and I like it a lot. It was harvested very early, my friend says the pistils of his both plants (Zacateca Tribute and China Yunnan x PCK) suddenly withered and fell off and without new flowers forming he harvested both plants.
His CY x PCK smells and smokes more like the CY mother than my CY x PCK plant which has deep hashy flavor and more relaxing high, more like what the PCK father is supposed to contribute. I like my CY x PCK a lot, very medicinal effect with fairly clear head and very pleasant relaxed body. I can smoke it during the day too, as it's not stony, just puts a smile on my face and relaxes me, keeping the motivation and focus. Great medical effect and and all jars but 2 will be extracted into coconut oil for medical use by a family member.
The Zacateca Tribute, even harvested early, or is it exactly because of it, is very impressing. By the flavor and taste I would say, no way this is pure sativa - it smells, tastes and has the resin of a Dutch 50% Haze hybrid, say some phenos of the classic Northern Lights x Haze. Very strong pine smell in the jar and very nice incense and hash flavor on exhale.
Edgy euphoric high, with nice sharpness and good focus. The high feels "old-school" to me, as if I get high for the first time, with enhanced smells, enhanced focus on details in the surroundings, just lovely for a walk exploring the town, it feels like a small "museum" dose trip. The high feels kind of natural, not devastating and demotivating like modern hybrids, and it'a still potent with high ceiling. A true high!
And it doesn't get any weaker after smoking it for a few days all day. Which, to me, is the true test for a sativa. So, the Zacateca Tribute manages to combine classic hybrid flavor and classic true uplifting sativa high. A winner!
I'm not sure if I'd be so ecstatic if it was harvested in the "proper" time window, i.e. some 2-3 weeks later. I guess the high would be more relaxed.
Can't wait to grow some Kullu x Zacateca Tribute this coming season! :)
I also plan to start 30 seeds of my Zamaldelica x Kullu crosses (ZamKullu and the back-crosses ZamZamKullu and KulluZamKull), selecting 10 females and dusting them with the best looking and smelling male(s), testing the seeded buds and selecting 5 of the females to reveg for a sinsemilla harvest in the autumn and final selection. I hope the seeds will be ready early enough, so that I can also plant some seeds of the 5 plants to see how they do in the autumn, further helping in the selection among their mothers.
Only two months left to my start of the 2024 season, can't wait :)

Last edited: