What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

200w retail led perpetual organic soil

hello, icmag
i've been a reader since overgrow, where i learned most of what i know about growing, but i've never been legal until now :) (except back in 2003 when i learned to grow in california and we had a medical license, and helping some medical growers here and there)
as far as i read the law in co, we are allowed 6 plants per adult over 21, 3 of which can be flowering, with variations depending on county. my county does not allow retail shops, but with 4 adults over 21, we are allowed 24 plants total, with 12 max in flower.

we originally were going to get a mars hydro led or similar, but after we placed an order, we were told the price was actually higher, so we cancelled the order. i've read a lot of good things about mars hydro so maybe we'll go with them in the future, but we had some seedlings going in the window and being ... ahem .. creative with limited means, i decided we should just get some store-bought led's as inspired by growers like blynx and terpene.

at my old house i had experimented with the store-bought led's and was impressed and considered the growth comparable to metal halide. i only harvested a few plants i think under like 50 watts and i got about .5 gpw but i had all kinds of issues from being rusty at growing and learning new cheap organic nutes. i was growing in a bucket and a pc case.

4 adult smokers here, i'm the one with over a decade of growing experience, so i'm in charge of the grow. that doesnt mean i wont make stupid mistakes.

we ordered two of these 7x sockets in a chandelier formation, kind of a homemade led ufo, and originally started with the 9w leds, but i added 8 14 watt leds, and now i am expecting 2 18w daylight spectrum corn cob leds, to complement all the rest which are 2700k, except there's a 10.5 watt daylight spec in the veg area. there are also 2-3 cfls in the mix which will be replaced or whatever

so in the flower we started with 14 x 9 = 126 watts + 23 watt cfl
now we're going to be at 211 watts total LED for flower in a 2 ft x 2 ft area with about 3 ft of height - pot / lights

it's all in a room dedicated to model trains which my roommate's stepdad had built for years, and slowly developed alzheimer's in there.. weed is good for preventing alzheimer's, and i'm already a little mad hatter, so seems appropriate

speaking of mad hatter, i'm using alaska fish fertilizer, and i plan to go to hydrolyzate (sp?), but the stuff i saw locally was mostly water. though i live in colorado and weed is legal, i live in a small mountain town. i can drive to colorado springs if necessary, or order things online. i'm also using alaska mor-bloom which is not 100% organic and maybe the only thing i use besides perlite which might not be called organic...

this method of growing is new to me, and tbh came out of poverty. i used to grow a lot, under 1000w hps cool tube, plus about 1000w in veg, and i would use house and garden brand nutes, which are also about 90% organic certified. suffice it to say i had to tone things down and hence i moved to colorado where i'm completely legal. before i did soil with h&g, i did hydro. i did dwc, aeroponics, nft, flood & drain... but i like organic soil. i got a free sample of h&g and never went back. now i kind of do a super soil / kiss thing.

having to tone things down, i was also broke, so now this is what i use:
organic soil (currently happy frog but formerly whatever available, also old stuff recycled with new stuff)
perlite
pk guano (happy frog)
homemade compost (currently 20 year old duck compost)
mushroom compost
jobe's organic granular both veg and bloom (with mycos)
organic blackstrap molasses
organic agave nectar
epsom salt
alaska fish fert and mor bloom
garden lime
the best spring water on the planet from our well

i make compost teas sometimes, collect rain water / snow, and i used to pee a little in my rain water when i lived alone ;p we also had chickens but a hawk or something got to them, so we'll get more for chicken shit.

so i have a couple of 5 gallon buckets of the soil and solid ferts composting at all times. i'll probably add earth worm castings soon. i buy things when i have extra money.

for bug control from the old soil maybe or just from all the other houseplants, i've been using safer end-all and it seems to be working great, though maybe overkill.

anyway let's get to the photos

View attachment 391060
these guys were like $5 each on amazon or ebay. they are rated for 25 watts per socket, 7 sockets. we got two.

View attachment 391061
we ordered 12 9w LEDs originally. 1 was faulty but maybe from my hitting it with a hammer to try to pry the globe off, before i realized the channel locks worked best. these plants had been flowering in the window. they didn't really have 12 hours of darkness, and they were getting really cold at night and really hot in the day. they were in 1 gallon pots; originally they were in clay pots but i put them into plastic pots and mixed up a bunch of organic soil, perlite, and 2- year old duck compost and started feeding them fish fert and mor bloom. i gave them guano and jobes granular, and molasses, and our amazing spring water we get from the well. i burned them and then flushed them. n00b mistake. i also gave them a few hours of sunlight before it got freezing balls. they were in like 30 mph wind and the indica didnt care. the sativa hated me, but her clones are happy. the indica is revegging.

View attachment 391062
the indica yielded about 10 grams. so did the sativa, even though the sat was premature because it was dying. both smelled and tasted amazing. they were in the window most of their lives and never received fertilizer until late bloom.

View attachment 391063
the sativa grew a mutated bud on a fan leaf stem even after clipping the dead fan leaf off

View attachment 391064
we got a veg room setup with a turkey pan for a reflector, 2x 23w 2700k cfl, 1x 10.5w daylight led, 1 x 9w 2700k led (18w daylight corn cob led on the way). the emergency blankets were a free thing from obamacare lol :)

View attachment 391065
holy grail kush seed #3. my favorite in veg out of the 4 seedlings that grew, all female. this one seems happier and easier to train, but i havent smoked any of the 4 yet.

View attachment 391066
hg #3

View attachment 391067
the indica revegging

View attachment 391068
some clones. i had some trouble with mold on some of them because i didnt check them for a day. it's dry here, so usually it's not a problem. but maybe some of these wont make it. i've been airing them out twice a day now as my work schedule permits. but i can take more if they die.

View attachment 391069
at like 2-3 weeks flower

i can only add so many attachments apparently so i'll do another post. i'll probably do the next post tomorrow. that was a lot of typing lol. but now it's out of the way. tldr legal rec meds

i hope i posted this in the right section. been reading this site for years but my first post ever

anyway i'll figure out the images thing. we're just trying to get at least 3 oz per month - 4 oz per month and we will be happy. that's the goal anyway. the next step is upgrading from the 1 gallon plastic pots to 3 gallon smart pots or at least plastic pots. we will be below our limits and medicated. i got a fabric storage container from the dollar store today which i think will work as a makeshift smart pot. my only concern is i think it has cardboard inserts so i'll either upgrade those to plastic or hold it up with a turkey pan as i am now. i think it holds about 3 gallons and is more of a bed than a pot so more horizontal and less vertical real estate. worth experimenting with anyway for $1

maybe this will work. images in order from OP

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

dwarf plant from fimming too early probably. like 3-4"
picture.php

bagseed
picture.php

the first clone of the window sill sativa looking nice and healthy at about 3 weeks flower, about 11 inches tall, at least 12" in uniform diameter
picture.php

same clone of the sativa
picture.php

went in and saw these bonsais reaching for the sky today so theyre happy and im happy.
picture.php

strawberry blonde seed. got 2 from an 1/8th from the dispensary
i also got a seed from timewreck (or maybe pennywise, i ground both at the same time, but pretty sure its timewreck)

holy grail kush #1 at week 3-4

strawberry blonde #1

veg room

holy grail kush clone. this one the top broke off while transplanting, but it just grew two new tops.

this one i'm pretty sure is white widow, so i cloned it because it has the most resin and densest buds out of all of our plants, even tho i want to phase out the unknown genetics. this one im pretty sure is white widow but i'm calling it "snong" for now, for "snow bong". cloned it in flower so hopefully she takes.

snong and the dwarf

holy grail kush #1

our sativa bagseed. probably phasing it out as i get better genetics unless it surprises me. excellent branching and three fingered leaves remind me of sour d, but she's a finicky bitch. doesnt like wind, cold, too much nutes, etc... maybe she will be amazing smoke this round and change my mind

two of our bagseeds look identical, these really cool looking sativas. they remind me of hemp propaganda flyers

holy grail kush loving the bondage

holy grail kush

dwarf

snong on week 4-5

my corn cob leds from china came in. less than $4 for 2, 72 diodes per, 18 watts per, epistar 6500k

after other upgrades, that puts me at 229 watts in flower,
and 60 watts in veg. in veg thats a mix of 5000k, 6500k, and 2700k. in flower all 2700k plus the 18w 6500. i know it wont make that much of a difference, but now i'm happy.

so thats the photo update. i guess i should do a words update.

i was having either nute burn or ph issues, so i stopped with the alaska fish fert and morbloom, and added ffof to my supersoil mix. i also got some legit fabric pots not from the dollar store.

if any of the girls ask for food i will give them alaska nutes but i think the soil mix is pretty complete now, so im just giving spring water from our mountain and molasses / agave nectar and epsom. i will do a compost tea soon also. i try to do a couple teas per round.

perpetual harvest begins in 2-3 weeks. cant wait to stop going to the dispensary. i'm a regular there lol. but at least i've been getting seeds from my purchases there. hopefully the chemdawg #4 i get this weekend will have some beans! 30% thc and one of my all time favorite strains for my ptsd

oh yeah ive still got some bugs but i stopped spraying because that stuffs kinda noxious, but i made some homemade yellow sticky tape with scotch tape and yellow markers and sketch paper and i caught a fly already. will resume the spraying regimen soon.

"snong" is at day 55 and looking really tempting. i'm having dreams about harvesting. but i only see the occasional amber trich. i just plucked a tiny bud from the bottom to test it out after it dries from the heat from my mac mini. i'm still waiting for my jeweler's loupe from china, but i only paid $2 so waiting several weeks is expected. i have a hard time seeing with anything but a loupe, but what i can tell is that it's not quite ready.

"snong" clone i took at like week 5 flower that is showing signs of vegetative growth. woohoo!

strawberry blonde seed with mutant giant leaves which i just fimmed

bagseed, first plant i harvested in colorado, which i revegged, and now reflowering

and the second plant i harvested in colorado, both growing on a windowsill when i arrived. this one is always sickly but i think i finally have a handle on the bugs, so here is a bud that is at day 55, and then a monocrop of four clones in veg, which will be my last run of this strain. RIP

various at day 55. the dwarf plant (first three pics) (the one with fat buds all up and down) has some amber trichs, but i think it can fill out some more, so im leaving it in to see what happens over the next week. it just smells like grass, and if i squeeze it it smells a little like catpiss. the other one (last two pics) with the little buds smells kind of kushy but nothing too special.

and finally some more photos of snong at day 55. looks so damn ready but ive been smoking this stuff from another local grower and tbh its kinda meh, so i want my stuff to be mind-blowing, so i'm waiting for a few more amber trichs.. or maybe i'll harvest tomorrow. who knows lol...

so i decided to harvest the snong. it's about 1-5% amber and i couldn't wait any longer. day 56. will probably wait til day 60 or 63 for the next one, the dwarf plant.
i think if i give the snong til day 63 next time, it will be rock hard all the way through and maybe closer to 20% which is probably the max amber i like.