What's new

2000 watt 4x8 table scrog. Please help me design.

sneaky_g

here is what i've got so far.. I couldn't afford to buy the nice table stand so i used some old playwood and bought some 2x4s to get off the ground..

ve a 1500 dollar budget i'm considering 2 raptors vs 2 magnums xxlsI ha
also going with some type of lumatek ballast (dimmable 120v)

I live in a rental house so its important than i remain stealthy.. we have a whole house ac but that won't cut it for cooling in california in the summertime. I normally would just hang a window ac out but that would be sketch, so i'm going to try to come up with a plywood stealth technique that i can hook a portable ac unit up too (intake outtake). I'm thinking i should go with a 8 " 650 CFM exhaust fan through 2 raptor hoods to a scrubber .. The problem is i dont have attic access so that would mean cutting a hole in the closet ceiling .. How would you guys do this? All suggestions greatly appreciated.

toastfighter2

I hate to say it, but it is nice to see someone else on a tight budget. I basically have the same style setup running, just half the size(2 2x4 tables under a 1000w). For the next couple weeks I am stuck with the wing reflector that came with my light package, but I have been doing a lot of research, and the raptor is that I am going to go with. It has almost a perfect 4x4 pattern, good air flow, option to run 2 bulbs(look it up, it's true), and the best thing(at least in my case), it is a full 2 inches shorter than the magnum-I have very limited head room(just under 5'8"), and 2 inches is a lot to be able to gain for me
If you are going to exhaust through the filter, you are going to have to get up in the attic with it, which will take a sizable hole(unless you make an air tight box around the filter to make it a custom inline filter). First step would be to bust out the trusty stud finder(or small nail and tack hammer), and see if the filter will fit through the ceiling joist. If that checks out ok, , cut out the entire closet ceiling, right where it meets the wall(this option is imho the easiest to repair). After you have exhaust step up and running,you will want to seal the hole with something(some vinyl sheeting would be a cheap and dirty fix for this)to keep hot air from the attic from flowing back into your room.

sneaky_g

You make a great point on the additional 2 inches adding up .. Since i'm not planning on removing my ceiling fan i'm already very limited on height. I made the table 18 inches off the ground. I'm thinking of lining the table with a tarp and cutting out a drain hole since i dont want to shell 100 bucks for a 4x8 plastic tray.. Whats ur opinion on the size of the exhaust fan.. If i go through my closet the way my room is layed out I won't be able to hang the scrubber in a straight line since the raptor hoods take up 4x4 worth of space.. Should I put the scrubber on its own exhaust fan?

O

otis33

If you are good at diy - there is a member named bldswtrs that build these bitching reflectors from wood and orca film that had way better coverage than any store bought unit. I'm going to build one to replace the 8xxls over my 4x8 beds. I think . came out to $120ish to build the while thing, including sockets. Think about out. Good luck.

toastfighter2

Personally, I would go with the 8" 650cfm you mentioned, dropped down to 6" right before the lights, and with as much solid ducting as possible(if they aren't going to move a lot there isn't any sense in using flex duct anywhere you don't you have to).
On the subject of trays, your best bet is to actually buy one. I debated the diy route, and even though I am fairly skilled when it comes to building things, the piece of mind is worth it. A major water leak is not something to mess with, and a small one that you don't notice for months is even worse.
One last thing, ceiling fans are easy as hell to remove. Seriously, if you can wire a lamp, you can take it right out of the way. Just remember to put wire nuts on the wires so you don't have any slightly scary stoner moments when sparks fly and the lights go out.

sneaky_g

So i'm gonna go pick up 2 raptor hoods .. For my exhaust i'll do the 650 8 inch .. Will I be able too go Exhaust fan > Scrubber > Hood #1 > Hood #2 Open ? I won't have enough room to go Exhaust fan , hood, hood, scrubber.. So i was wondering if it would matter if i put the scrubber before the two raptors in a line pulling air out through the closet ceiling hole that i cut.

Also considering buying this portable AC .. Would this do the job? A little pricey but I can't hang a window unit out cuz its sketch.

http://www.amazon.com/Whynter-Dual-...RC-14S/dp/B0028AYQDC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

gtotoys1

I run one Raptor and tried to use scubber threw it. No dice. I bought another 8" blower just for the 1k bulb, and I run that at about 1/2 power through a speed controler. Just one more hole into the attack.

Also for stealth I not only used 8" insulated duck, but I ran that inside of 10" insulated duck. Very quiet. And be sure to use the same on the other side of blowers to act as mufflers.

Dont mount your blowers directly to wood rafters etc. Suspend them with rubber straps etc.

Hope this helps :)

Also considering buying this portable AC .. Would this do the job? A little pricey but I can't hang a window unit out cuz its sketch.

http://www.amazon.com/Whynter-Dual-...RC-14S/dp/B0028AYQDC/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Yes! I ran a similar model with 2KW of light. It kept the room nice and cool. We put an oscillating fan in front of it to help circulate the air.

Only issue, is some models are loud. I remember hearing it kick on through the walls. Sharp makes a nice quite model but it pulls air from the room, so if you use Co2 it will waste some of it. Look for models that have an intake and exhaust ports on the back. You could also try a mini-split a/c.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That is going to be a full room once you get it up and running. How are you going to handle the electrical load?

-Funk

sneaky_g

I have a total of 3 15 amp circuits too the room..

1st circuit - 1000 watt light + a fan
2nd circuit - 1000 watt light + 730 CFM 8" exhaust fan.
3rd circuit - AC

In an ideal circumstance i'd wire 240 for a controller for my lights + exhaust ect, but since im renting you know how it goes.. don't wanna fuck with too much shit. I don't forsee a problem running a hydrofarm timer to each light.. any recomendations on fire safe timers?

I don't trust extension cords, and this is a rental home, so i'm gonna stick to a 2k SCROG.. for now..

sneaky_g

Another issue i'm working with is space.. Obviously for the most efficient exhaust system i would want my 8" fan in a straight line with my 2 hoods and than hang my scrubber from the ceiling straight.. The can 100 is 4 feet tall so i simply don't have enough room .. i'm gonna have to use 1 90 to exhaust up into the closet from my hoods and i'll need another 90 to make a sharp bend at the end of my hoods leading to my scrubber. is my fan going to be enough or do i need an 8 " inline booster ?

H

HighBurn8

All I have to say, is IF you have a choice here... Then, DON'T GET THE MAGNUM XXXL's!!!!!!!!

I recently owned two 8" Magnums and they both had a significant amount of air leakage going on through the glass and gasket. And their RMA (Return Reps) are almost non existant....took them months to get ahold of them.
Another factor was the reflectivity sucked ass compared to the BlockBuster 2's I was using previously. I actually LOST weight by "Upgrading" to the XXXL's.

I have since switched over to the 8" Raptors and am SOOOO Pissed at myself I didn't do so sooner. Same price and you get every single cent worth. Much more superior product then the Mags...

fwiw..... lol

By the way, I'll be tagging along as I too am going to be embarking on a room build here within the next month or so...
good luck to ya... and take care

H8

sneaky_g

Got my hoods hung.

Got my hoods hung.

used a stud finder and set some hooks into the 2x6 rafters above. removed ceiling fan. hung 2 raptor 8 hoods.

These are some pics of the raptor's hanging . Went with the nanolux electronic dimmable ballasts.

As you can see The raptors take up quite a bit of space. The table is 4x8 for size reference. Now what I'm wondering if my active air 8" is going to be able to go through both of those hoods and through my can 100 that is in one of the pics.. how would you guys hang the can 100 and is my exhaust fan gonna be enough? The guy at the hydro store told me that it wouldn't be good if i vented my exhaust into my attic . whats ur take on this.. i'm renting and don't want to do any serious damage. I figured i could just cut a 8" hole in the closet attatched to the bedroom and exhaust out into the attic.

H

HighBurn8

I was just taking a look at your pics and by the looks of it, you should REALLY consider flipping one of those hoods around so that they are both facing the same direction. The air is supposed to flow in the direction that doesn't conflict with the bulb....

In other words, you should Not have air blowing through the hood in the same direction that the bulb screws into the socket, otherwise you could risk getting dirt, dust particles, etc etc caught in there.

This is why the Arm with the Socket is shaped like a "V"......so that air passes over it easier.

Amoeba

I'm gearing up for a new grow almost exactly like this. 2k watt 4x8 SCROG in a rental house soon. Looks like you are getting there! Those hoods are nice, I want 2 myself now hahaha!

You should buy some flood tables off craigslist, I recently got both a 4x4 and a 4x8 for $150 and the dude delivered them to me. 4x8 SCROG with a drip system!

sneaky_g

I'm gonna be running 3 gallon smart pots of Pure knowledge soil mix. other than that straight bubbled water and ACT tea every 2-3 weeks. might add some of capulator's beneficials to tea. I add met 52 into everything i pot in about 5 grams per gallon . I buy 2.2 lbs for 90 dollars. PM me if you need met.. it has worked so far for me as a preventative without having to use chemicals that kill my bio life. No one wants to smoke systemic chemicals , and i don't either.

I bought my 4x8 black table , its just not on the 2x4's i built .. gonna just cut a few small holes on one end and drain any extra water into a 5 gallon bucket where i can empty.

One thing i'm a little bit sketch about is getting up into the attic.. I don't have attic access and i dont want to just throw my ducting into the ceiling and cause a mold problem. Living in central cali would you guys say i would need to worry? I'll be pulling with an 8 inch active air 720 CFM fan through 2 hoods and a can 100 I was thinking i could try to get up in there somehow and run ducting an additional 4 feet in height to get to a vent.. Unfortunately its an old rental with no side vents in the roof ( forget the term for them)

sneaky_g

Everything is set up. With both 1000 watts on at 1pm in the afternoon I'm running 90 degree temps. Need some advice on ac.. Anyone?

sneaky_g

some progress

some progress

When I turn my fan on to full going through the two hoods ( no scrubber yet) without AC i'm at 91 degrees. I'm hearing horror stories about portable ac's that fail to keep the stink in the house and that are overall just poor machines that fail even when used properly.. I really want to avoid hanging an AC out my window for reasons pertaining to my landlord seeing it and asking questions.. a small window vent from a portable wouldn't be as abtrusive in my opinion.. Can someone help me figure out a way to cool this room? I have 600 bucks left in my budget and don't want to hire an hvac for room security obviously.. i'm sort of an amateur but I have 1 15amp circuit avail for AC so can't run 240.. opinions?

sneaky_g

Well I have a 12k Window unit.. and this is what im thinking i'll do for stealth reasons.. gonna be a stretch on my ability but i'll see what i can do .. This is the best info i could find on the web with much research

http://www.420magazine.com/forums/do-yourself/116244-window-ac-converion-enclosed-space.html

a thread about a guy who made a customized window unit without hanging it out a window .

It would be MUCH easier if i could just throw a portable at this grow and be fine, but i've heard they leak alot of smell through their exhaust.. where as if you exhaust a window unit conversion style you don't get smell through the exhaust.. anyone have experience with this that wants to chime in? tommorow i'll make a homedepot run for tape sheat metal screws ect and see if i can pull this off. i'll take pictures of the process.

Latest posts

Latest posts