What's new

20-year old seeds

T

TakenByTheSky

Grab a fresh pack from Joey weed, he's still making f2's of old bro Grimm c99 and they're cheap $55 a pack. I've grown a few outdoors, it's good bud but. It enough punch for me.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Grab a fresh pack from Joey weed, he's still making f2's of old bro Grimm c99 and they're cheap $55 a pack. I've grown a few outdoors, it's good bud but. It enough punch for me.

I wonder how true those are the original?How could he have held on to F1 C99 for all these years?

T

TakenByTheSky

I wonder how true those are the original?How could he have held on to F1 C99 for all these years?

It's probably total BS unless he selects new parents for each batch of seeds. We'll never know because he hasn't had an online presence since like cannabis world maybe.

I bought a pack when he returned a few years ago and the few I've grown are exactly what you'd expect from classic c99. I think c99 is pretty true breeding so what ever generation you get should be pretty good, except for moscas those were nothing like I expected.

star crash

We Will Get By ... We Will Survive
ICMag Donor
Veteran
It's probably total BS unless he selects new parents for each batch of seeds. We'll never know because he hasn't had an online presence since like cannabis world maybe.

I bought a pack when he returned a few years ago and the few I've grown are exactly what you'd expect from classic c99. I think c99 is pretty true breeding so what ever generation you get should be pretty good, except for moscas those were nothing like I expected.

Nobody was in love with the original C 99 more than me if you say they’re close to the original I will have to try I tried out the re-creation from brothers grim in 2016 it was about 25% of the original...

T

TakenByTheSky

You aroused my curiosity. What was odd or unexpected about the Mosca stuff?

Well, it's been a few years since I did moscas c99 indoors but when I did the plants were ok but didn't have the most true c99 look, and they smelled like straight up purple grape drink. It was a nice smell and taste but. It what I think of when I think classic c99. Moscas c99 is a blend of a few different c99 lines he had sourced at the time so who knows if it was pure. Youd have to research thru old threads for that info.

I did Joey weed and mosca c99 side by side in the greenhouse last summer. Joey weed whooped moscas c99s ass, moscas was much leafier, not as tasty or potent.

T

TakenByTheSky

Nobody was in love with the original C 99 more than me if you say they’re close to the original I will have to try I tried out the re-creation from brothers grim in 2016 it was about 25% of the original...

I've got to throw up the disclaimer, I've never grown the original f1 c99 so I can't say for sure. But...I have been reading about it here at IC since 2007 and I've grown a few excellent c99 hybrids like dutchgrown killer queen and pure c99s so I think I have a good handle on what it is in its best form.

I've only done Joey weed c99 outdoors since I haven't been doing much indoor until this year.

The first season with it my one and only C99 that year was resinous, didn't stretch too much, fast finishing and had the best sweet pineapple smell and taste. It produced excellent outdoor weed.

This is a pic from a few years ago, Joey weed C99 in the greenhouse close to harvest. I did it again last year and very similar results but the outdoor season didn't end that well, lots of humidity and high temps.

Joey Weed c99 from 2 summers ago
picture.php

Test with old seeds

Test with old seeds

Even if I'm a newbie (in growing t.i. ;) ) perhaps I can contribute by performning tests on the seeds I mentioned in a posting above. Shortly I had an air-tight photo can I've saved seeds in but it was forgotten an the seeds might be around 10-20 years old. Got some responses on that, and that the lack of oxygen probably was'nt a big issue.

I intend to do some testing of germinating and relate it to what is common advices (checked some what-is-a-healty-seed pages). In general they point out 1) darker color and 2) visible 'marble' pattern as more of a chance a seed will germinate and that the opposite problably woun't as well as damaged seeds or those that crashes in a slightly-press-with-tip-of-fingers don't.

But as they all dissent that the only way to find out is to try to germinate, it seems like a bit of practical test from my samples might add at least something to the knowledge base.

So, I intend to check out the around 200-300 seeds I've got according to this (still doing that).

I will trash: all seeds that's totally bleach, cracked or damaged, don't pass the finger press test (probably most of them)
I will keep: all seeds that have at least some kind of marble pattern.
I will sort those in rank from one to four stars: From very light (but some traces of marble pattern) to very dark (almost black)

When this is done (with the help of a tweezer and magnifier) I will do controled germinating test. Perhaps it will show something (or not). Anyway I can report the outcome regarding my four ranks to see if it's more likely in practice to germinate as I've been adviced. And perhaps see if the ones that is almost light yellow (with traces of marble) will germinate at all.

My tests will start as soon as my small tent is free. Have to be able to take care of seeds that germinate.

Well, I don't know if it is of any interest here as I'm new at this. But I've studied a lot and try to do the very best out of my possiblities with this kind of limited gardening. And to see if there might be some good stuff hiding in that old forgotten can :).

My first (and on-going) try was from five seeds I got recently. All of them germinated but the small space was a bad experience as I didn't know sex and had to get the into blooming. They grew far more and higher than I expected and two of them had to go by chance. But still, a week in 12/12 scheme I can't detect males and it's a real mess in the tent. So I guess that kind of tent is better for ONE female from female seeds.

But as I would like to get something out from seeds I have I still have to get to a point where males can be sorted out. Therefore I now with great interest have checked out the possiblities with the 12-12 from seed method. Seems like there's a chance to better control a couple of plants in a small tent tht way. But that's totally another question. I will report about my tests mentioned above as soon as I start them.

ONE thing I haven't read anything about is in what matter the actual SIZE of the seeds is a consideration? Among the almost black ones there are seeds smaller than fatter ones with lighter color. Some thoughts of what is better? Anyone?

In addition, as I mention my 'limited space' I forgot to say that my tent is just 40x40x140 cm and that's my only option to grow something at all :)

St. Phatty

I've got to throw up the disclaimer, I've never grown the original f1 c99 so I can't say for sure. But...I have been reading about it here at IC since 2007 and I've grown a few excellent c99 hybrids like dutchgrown killer queen and pure c99s so I think I have a good handle on what it is in its best form.

it's like having an Apollo 11 flashback !

beautiful.

i grew C99 in the 00's and A11 starting 2014.

I see a HLG135 V2 Rspec in your future, I have one in a 60x60x160cm tent.

Seems nice enough but to start my doings I got me a kit included this light (from the same manufacturer)
<https://www.todogrowled.com/gb/tgl-led-grow-lights/1-led-grow-light-tgl-star-60.html>

It worked fine and my Three plants grew as h-ll. A bit too much in fact.

Latest posts

Latest posts