What's new

20 gallon slap together micro ...

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks to everyone that has answered my questions up to this point.

This will serve as my grow log. Using two 20 gallon rubbermaids, completely slapped together on a whim. Black rubbermaid bins, with the inside painted white. 3 x 42w cfl are being used in 1.8 sq. ft. 2 of the CFL's are 2700K and one is 6500K.Currently Im only using a single 80mm exhaust fan with 2 - 2 1/4 inch passive intake holes with T's. The T's dont trap the light at all and I will be getting some elbows soon to take care of the problem. Also, I have ordered a 92 mm Dayton fan that spins at 8,000 RPM, with a power rating of 3.72 amps, CFM rating at 175 cfm, and a pressure rating of 47.68 mm in H20. That fan will replace the current 31 cfm weaka** pc fan and I will be hooking up a DIY scrubber to it. Probably a flat rubbermaid design.

Four beans were soaked for 48 hours, then put in a wet washcloth. Two popped the next day, the other two the day after. I have now put them in dixie cups with a mixture of good potting soil (ultimate potting mix) with quit a bit of additional perilte mixed in. Also a little garden tone was supplimented to the soil (a very light amount) as well as some dolomite lime at 1 tablespoon per gallon. This soil was previously prepared for some habanero peppers Im growing, so I simply used it. I realize you shouldnt fertilize seedlings, but they are doing ok so far. Im not sure what strain they are for sure, I believe blueberry, but Im not certain as the beans were given to me and they guy thought thats what they were but also wasnt sure.

To be honest, Im not sure what fert regimin Ill be using, I need to figure it out this week. I kind of like the idea of organics ... I really like the neptune harvest line up and thought about simply using some alaskan fish emulsion for veg and then using neptunes fish/seaweed 2-3-1 for flower along with molasses waterings.

I realize that probably leaves a lot to be desired though for a nute regimin. Any thoughts on this is greatly appreciated. I could always just grab the fox farm line up from my local hydro, grow big and big bloom and call it a day. I could really use the fish/seaweed ferts for my habaneros though and I like to re-use soil so I would really prefer to use organics. I have read the organic threads here and thats where I got the idea of using the fish/seaweed mix's for nutes.

As mentioned though Im all ears on nute suggestions, this is my first MJ grow so KISS suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also, I can only fit two 1 gallon pots in this thing, so Im going to have to flip to 12/12, sex .. then transplant into their final 1 gallon pots. I have heard mixed reviews about doing this. If you guys could shed some light on that as well I would really appreciate it. Im not sure how to go about doing it otherwise.

Heres the pics, the beans actually broke ground thanksgiving day ... GOBBLE GOBBLE

There are also two peach habanero seedlings in with the MJ's, for now, I will be taking them out soon.

maryjohn

Veteran
I think you could use some more intake. Also, if you are using pvc for light traps you should paint it black.

ScrubNinja

Grow like nobody is watching
Veteran
I like the idea of seperate ferts, as against buying bottle x of organic hydro nutrient or whatever. That's how I've approached my first proper organic mj anyway. Fish emulsion is good but I've been trying to get my greasy mitts on fish hydrolysate, as the emulsion usually has high levels of mercury. There's a ton of great info on the organic soil forum relating to teas and microbes if you're not well versed already - they took my game to the next level. I'm no expert but I have a huge bottle of high P guano I hope to use as my main fert for flower - 1:9:1 I think. Got some kelp high in K, I think molasses is high in K too but depends on brand.

I got me some chillies too. I have a great one I've LSTd, they love it :) Best of luck.

OZZ_

Veteran
Thanks guys ..... I think for this grow I will be using fish emulsion 5-1-1 since I have it on hand .. for veg, with every third watering or so using molasses. Then Ill switch to neptunes fish/seaweed 2-3-1 with molasses to bump up the K for flowering.

These guys are really growing quickly, doubling in size from yesterday to today. Unfortunately ... take a look if you guys would .... they seem a bit droopy, and it looks to me like overwatering?

Wouldnt you say? Im going to go ahead and let the soil dry out well before next watering, at which time Ill give the first ferts which will be a little fish emulsion and molasses.

OZZ_

Veteran
So I got my new fan in today, 175 cfm, 3.72 amps, pressure rating of 48.22 mm in H20.

Then I realized, the AC to DC converter Im using is rated at 500 mA

or .5 amps ...... not gonna cut it. Most of the lay around AC to DC adapters Im finding at my house wont do it either. What are you guys using to power this badboy? I do have a rheostate that I can simply plug the AC adapter into to use as a speed controller, and Ild really rather not use a 250watt+++ power supply simply to run a fan???

four20_oem

I cant remember what computer power supplies put out? But you might want to check it out, easy to find atleast?

OZZ_

Veteran
Most of them are rated at 250watts or above these days.

This might be a stupid question, but if I have a 250w power supply and am running lets say a 5w fan on it ... does that mean that I am only actually using 5w of power from the house's outlet?

OZZ_

Veteran
Coming along nicely, and I received confirmation that this is indeed blueberry. However, its a blueberry (DJ Short) cross and the other strain is not remembered. Flowering time is listed as 55 days so Im hoping to be done in the time frame Im working with. Im going to flip to 12/12 around the 10th of december.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• nice (1 of 2).jpg
    nice (1 of 2).jpg
    49 KB · Views: 15
  • nice (2 of 2).jpg
    nice (2 of 2).jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 17

maryjohn

Veteran
Right now I am using a variable lab power supply for my fan, and it has pros and cons. On the pro side I can adjust the voltage with precision. But it is big, heavy, and makes light via the readout.

Converting a psu is your best bet.

This might be a stupid question, but if I have a 250w power supply and am running lets say a 5w fan on it ... does that mean that I am only actually using 5w of power from the house's outlet?

Everything I've read confirms this...that a computer PSU pulls what it needs, not what it reads (catchy right?)

OZZ_

Veteran
Right on, Ill start digging around for a PSU then, I thought I had a few laying around but might have ditched them when I moved.

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yup a PSU would make the most sense. If you look in the fan thread, or google psu lab power supply, you'll see that you can get a great range of voltages apart from 12v. Otherwise you should buy a pc fan speed controller that can handle 45w per channel - not many go this high but they exist. I'm no expert but I'd skip the rheostat thing you have now.

Ging is right too, it will only draw more or less what the fan is using, and a small bit of overhead - otherwise you'd have a 200 watt heater in addition to your fan, as energy can't just disappear.

The kids are looking great - best of luck.

Oh ps: Aerohead mentioned one of his high amp fans burnt out the molex and suggested hard wiring them to avoid this possibility. Not strictly neccesary or likely, but nevertheless, something to consider doing.

OZZ_

Veteran
Well, I just took a chance and transplanted three of them into the 1 gallon containers. They are doing well, I still have the fourth sitting on the floor in the dixie cup, I think Im going to try to find another, although smaller container, to transplant that one into so I can keep it in there. Im switching to 12/12 tomorrow so then will wait to sex and see how Im sitting!!

They usually show sex within a few weeks dont they??

Heres the odd plant out .. sitting on the floor by its lonesome

OZZ_

Veteran
So I went ahead and just transplanted the loner in the deli cup into a butter dish. Its not as big as the other containers, but my luck once I sex them it would be THAT plant that would end up being my only female... haha. So I figured I better do something with it just in case...

Heres the loner in its new home, you can see its different from the other three. The others all are super short and stock... this one is taller and not as bushy...

OZZ_

Veteran
Im getting no love up in here it seems ... lol....

Well lets see if I can change that. I went past my planned 12/12 flip date of 10/10 and am officially flipping them today.

They are looking good, although I think I see the first sign of a newbie mistake, it looks to be some sort of nutrient problem. If you guys could lend me your expertise and tell me what you think it is that would be great. Its gold or copper color spots, a few of the plants have it and it seems to be isolated to lower leaves. The last few close ups show what Im talking about. Is it a definciency of some kind?

Heres a close up of some of the affected leaves:

ScrubNinja

Veteran
What are your feeding/watering habits? Which ferts are you using at the moment? What is the white stuff on the soil surface, visible most in the last pic? When I was in coco with hydro nutes and didn't flush occasionaly I would get stuff just like that and it was crusted saltY deposits from the ferts. I'm totally not an expert bro but to me it looks watering related, maybe too wet with not enough runoff or something?

OZZ_

Veteran
What are your feeding/watering habits? Which ferts are you using at the moment? What is the white stuff on the soil surface, visible most in the last pic? When I was in coco with hydro nutes and didn't flush occasionaly I would get stuff just like that and it was crusted saltY deposits from the ferts. I'm totally not an expert bro but to me it looks watering related, maybe too wet with not enough runoff or something?

Well, I used a soil mixture of Ultimate potting soil, then added more perilite, and added some garden tone granular ferts (4-6-6) at approx. 1 teaspoon per gallon of soil as well as agricutlural lime at approx. 1 teaspoon per gallon of soil. When they were in dixie cups they received two waterings of fish emulsion 5-1-1 and molasses at approx. 1 teaspoon per gallon of water and the fish emulsion at approx. 3/4 teaspoon per gallon of water.

Thats all they have had, last watering was at transplant about 4 days ago or so. The surface of the soil is dry as its getting close to needing water again. Under the surface is a bit most via finger test so I was going to let it dry out a bit more befoer I watered as I dont want to over water.

They have not been watered or fed since transplant, only the granular ferts that are in the soil mix. I watered completely during transplant though and it has stayed moist. Im using tap water to water though so I wonder if that could be an issue??

Heres some more pics:

aceofspades

What paint did you use to paint the inside of the tote? Was there any prepping the surface of the tote before hand?

Ace

OZZ_

Veteran
Hi Ace, thanks for stopping in.

I didnt prep the tubs at all, and its just flat white paint..... because of that it is chipping off and so forth but next time I plan on using a few coats of flat spray paint. This will probably be my only tub grow, I will be moving shortly and constructing a cab at that time.

Anyone have any suggestions on why my plants are starting to develop those rusty, copper areas Im all ears!

ScrubNinja

Veteran
Yo ozz check out Mynamestitch's guide. It looks like a few things on there but looks most to me like a calcium def. It has some solutions on there if you think that's it, or you might see something else that's it. Peace.