What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

2 Different Diesels; 2 Different Ways (Sour Diesel IBL and Strawberry Diesel)

UmphreyMcGee420 - thanks for the kind words, and thanks for poppin in through the whole grow.

a few more pics for everybody:

sour diesel...it's taken a good while for this lady to get into flowering, which explains the lack of pics in the thread. She's taking her sweet time. Heres how she looks right now. She's been on 12/12 her whole life:

Heres the short compact strawberry d again. I've given her a final dose of pure blend pro tonight...from now on its just gonna be straight molasses and water. She's at 56 of flowering...I think she could go for two more weeks.

Anybody agree or disagree? I'd like to get some opinions on it.

I've got the radioshack 60 - 100x microscope and a 30x jewelers loupe, and honestly I can't tell clear trichs from cloudy ones??? I think I could pick out amber ones, so I'll just keep an eye out for those I guess.

:confused:

G

Wow your growing on a very high level. Glad I stumbled on your thread. Love the pics excellent job. I've got a sdv3 on day 46. I'll probably take her at 70. Will be stopping back by.

thanks for the compliments YNGWIE M!

i gave the chop to one of my strawberry diesels. she went for ~66 days i think. heres 2 pictures just before she got the axe.

shes drying right now. i can't wait to smoke that shit!

plant 1 of strawberry d yielded 25 very frosty grams. not bad for 12/12 from seed...it looks that the others will yield better. the smoke is awesome though. nice and focused basically making pretty much anything interesting...

i harvested the other 2 12/12 from seed strawberry d's at 70 days. one started spitting out nanners at that point. i dont have pics of them though :badday:

i also made some strawberry d f2s...i just hope that they had time to ripen.

anyway, i could go on forever :joint: but i wont.

later
stay safe.

G

Very, very niiiice! Got reading about 12/12 from seed, very interesting work. I'm very low on smoke, and have seeds in dirt, so I'm fantasizing about getting to my own herb as fast as I can!! I think this proves that this method works in its proper niche with no excuses. Not for everyone, but that's why we have more than one kind of weed, so we can all have what we want, if we're lucky enough to grow our own! :joint:

later,
flip

BACKCOUNTRY said:
Which method do you prefer onthatlevel? Veg then 12/12, or 12/12 from the begining?

i preferred 12/12 from the beginning. short time from seed to bud...save electricity...simple...it almost doesnt get any easier than it. the only drawback might be that you need a lot of seeds to get a decent yield. of course if you make some f2s your first round, then you're set on your second round.

BACKCOUNTRY

Mourning the loss of my dog......
Veteran
I make lots of seeds outside every 2 years, so this method would be great for my buddy, until he can make a quanity of his own. Thanks for sharing this with us!

Makavellian said:
Very nice grow .. you do big things with that rack. Howd the sour diesels end up doing ?

thanks. i love my t8 rack....definately gonna be building another 1 or 2 soon. they're so cheap to make! the sour diesel did pretty well, but not as well as the strawberry. i didnt have the chance to really dial her in like i know the strain needs. i also had to harvest kinda early cause i was leaving the county. the result was some airy bud coated with trichs. the high was still absolutely great, but not as good as it could have been.

thanks for comments everyone.

B

buzzed day

sorry i was late to the show but glad as heck i mad it!!!!graet grow.peace

muddy waters

onthatlevel that was one hell of a grow. congratulations.

i'm making my second ever T8 rack right now from leftover parts and I'd be curious if you or others had any pics of the rack itself, the type of fixtures, how the wires are dealt with, where the ballasts are kept, reflection mechanisms, and ventilation.

i switched from T8 to CFL for a time because i found the tubes a little cumbersome for a microgrow. but memories of dubphiend's threads on OG and now this and the T8s are coming back out. thanks.

thank you muddy waters. i appreciate it.

now, heres a few pics and captions of how my cab is put together:

heres the top of my cab (the back of the light rack). my light rack is a piece of white mdf cut to 26" X 54". you really only need like 25" X 49" to fit the bulbs in. I just a needed a little bit more room for some 4" ducting.

heres the inside. the bulbs themselves are spaced out with 1/2" in between each. i got a mixed spectrum of red and blue alternating in there now, but i veg with all blues.

heres the wiring on one side of the ballast: off one side of the ballast is two yellow wires (and one black and one white which i'll get to later).....one yellow wire gets wired to two lampholders. you can see that two wires come off each lampholder through holes drilled in the board. so you've got 4 wires to each yellow on one side of the ballast.

heres the other side of the ballast: 2 reds and 2 blues come of this side of the ballast. each wire gets wired to the 2 wires coming off the lampholder.

now to bring power to it all, you need the male end of a 14A heavy duty extension cord. take the the white wires from each ballast and wire to the white from the electric cord. do the same with the black. ground with the green. VOILA!!!11one!1!!

oh yeah, i vent with a ~170 cfm inline fan. works pretty well...itll suck my doors shut.

good luck. got any more questions just ask!

muddy waters

nice design. you're using 4 lamp ballasts then? i heard the 4 lamp ballasts have a higher ballast factor meaning slightly less efficient than the 3 and 2 lamp electronic ballasts. but i don't know for sure.

are you able to use this cab when summertime ambient temps are in the 80-90 range?

thanks for the explanations

yup, 4 lamp ballasts for me. the ballast factor is .88, so instead of 512 watts its more in the range of 450. you could easily use 2 or 3 lamp ballasts if you want. i just assumed that less ballasts mean less heat coming off the rack.....

yeah, i can use my cab during the summertime. it runs only a few degrees higher than the room its in.

sweetleaf100

i took five seeds of each strain and have been vegging them for about 18 days now: 24/0 under 160 watts of t12s. the sd ibl started stinking about 12 days into veg :yoinks: the strawberry diesel hasnt put off much of a stink yet.

[
the plants on the right side (2 furthest right on the top row and 3 furthest right on the bottom row) of the above pic are the strawberry diesel.

the other five are sd ibls. basically the strawberry diesel are the larger plants in the pic.

grow style 2: i took the remaining 5 seeds of each strain and put them straight into 12/12 from seed. i've been wanting to try this style of growing for some time now. i'm hoping the sativa in both plants will create some interesting results. plus, i grow in a cab and dont exactly have the height to work with that some people do. these will be used of some seed making too. they've been on 12/12 for about 20 days right now. 2/5 strawberry diesels have shown female, and 1/5 has showed male. the rest have not sexed yet. they are under ~400 watts of t8 flouros, btw. the don't stink anywhere near as bad as the ones under the 24/0 lighting. :chin:

here they are. sd ibls on the left and strawberry diesels on the right.

you might be able to make out the balls on the strawberry male in this pic. whether the camera catches them or not, they are definitely there.:

:wave:[/QUOTE]

This is very nice. Similar to what i have going now. Can you tell me why you went from t8's to t12's??

Can you also tell me how many tubes it took to get 160 watts of the t8 and how many for the t12 at 400 watts.

Thanks Sweetleaf100 :joint: