What's new

2 3kw rooms on flip flop about to start alot of questions.

mdk ktm

hey everybody, i have secured a house with a nice detached garage.

All the thinking and planning is really not letting me get any sleep. Just figured i would ask the pros.

So far i think i have decided to run 3 kw in two 5x12 rooms, so i have a little room to move around and tend plants. it would be a 10x12 box with a wall in the middle. Framing off with 2x4's insulating, and probably sound board or just drywall. I am kind of debating sealed room with co2.

My questions are.

If only one side of lights is on at a time, would a 10x12 box with 3kw air cooled with freezing air from a 8 inch can fan. Would the temperatures be good? i will put oscillating fans, or sacrifice sealed room and put intakes in.

Im really investing everything i have right now to get this house and step my game up.

any questions feel free to ask.
thanks

toohighmf

Veteran
I think thats a good idea. is the CANfan a high output fan or max? or is just an RS? I don't know how freezing it is, but it better be pretty cold! Sealed rooms implementing Co2 is the way to go. nothing in... nothing out. you might want to get a couple more fans and put them through the new wall. one directed in, the other out. a couple of standard 6" Cans would do it well. now you can pump AC and co2 from 1 room to the other & vice versa. theres also dampeners too... if you run a CEA grow you may need a dehumidifier.

mdk ktm

thanks man, yeah right now its about 15 degrees. But i hope i can get a harvest out the door before it warms up too much. It would be sweet to find a nice small ac, that could also heat on the cold days if needed.

im not sure which fan im going to go with yet, it only needs to cool 3kw at a time

and about the fans transferring the air back and forth, that's exactly what i had planned, just dont know if im going to go with the 4inch or 6 inch.

and would it be my best bet to just buy an environmental control to run the exhaust and co2

thats all the questions i can think of right now, it might not be on a flip flop now, its a little cheaper to just buy the 3 extra ballasts. And then i will have 6 brand new 1000w complete systems.

thanks for stoppin by

toohighmf

Veteran
just get a Co2 controller/monitor, the other environmental variables can be automated for a lot cheaper than a whole room controller, though I do love my Plant Pro...

mdk ktm

for sure, but for the extra money i would have everything right there. After all 700 or so for the sentinel controller is a very small cost in the grand scheme of things. I just want a nice and simple yet effective room. I get the keys today, so i can see how much power is run out there. I might have to hire an electrician to get me some more juice, that is if i go with the excel air ac/heating unit. That would be sweeeeeeet. :smokeit:

toohighmf

Veteran
in 1 area I have a 3.5 ton AC that is ducted to the room. it is on its own thermostat on a recirculating system. my pumps are on a cycle timer. my room is sealed so I don't have fans shutting off while my Co2 runs. it's simplicity at its finest. lol. in the other room which is sealed too, shares a 5 ton AC with the rest of the house. it stinks everywhere inside the house, but it doesn't make it out front due to Ozone and sealed up windows/doors and a vaportek in the garage. I use a plant pro in that room just to run my pumps and co2. the fans just run all day n night. I could of bought the lighting relay but already had an MLC, so I used it. pics? check my gallery or threads.

if there is any way to make more space to move around.. that would be the best advice offered. easy in.. easy out.. things get done.

The Phoenix

Risen From The Ashes
Veteran
IMHO 3kw's in the 5 x 12 partitions is a little excessive. If you are going to run the 3kw's on each side of the flip-flop that is. With the right hoods, you really only need 2kw's per side in that size area. The energy savings alone, and the expence saved from the extra light system will allow you to buy lots of other goodies that will be beneficial, such as light movers, controllers, etc...

2 1kw lamps on each side of the flip-flop on light movers if necessary would be the way to go.

toohighmf

Veteran
I think 3 is the magic number, if you can keep it cool. I hope your a skinny guy and planning to run across the 12'. If your in pots or bucket system I guess you could center the lights and walk around it all but filling that size room w 3kw is going to have to be well thought out. 2 is way easier. and gives you some space. However, if you can fill that room, cool 3 lights and navigate through.. go for it!

mdk ktm

sorry for not checking in, been busy as hell. room is framed and standing. I think im ditching the sealed room idea for now, im cutting it real close on funds i think.

and i think it will be alright to walk around in. Im pretty small, and the lights will be adjustable, so when i walk in i can raise them up.

temps should be pretty good it will just take a couple days of testing. I iwll probably run a smaller hood like the super sun 2 do you think a 8 inch or 10 inch fan would work best to cool 6kw, but only 3 would be on at a time.

i will be back later tonight probably with some questions and maybe a few pics thanks:smokeit:

junior_grower

http://www.plantlightinghydroponics...oller-with-fuzzy-logic-co2-control-p-375.html

I hope you have not bought a controller yet
CAP XGC1 599.00

Fully automated lights, pumps, fans, cooling, dehumidify, and fuzzy logic CO2 controller all in 1 nice unit.

AS for pumping in outside air make sure you have a good pre-filter to prevent critters and other unwanted items from getting in the room. You have the space and height you can pull off a nice vertical setup, use only two lights per column and run three columns of plants.

mdk ktm

thanks for stopping by junior_grower. I havn't picked up a controller yet, one day this week i should be making a trip to the hydro shop.

as for vertical i thought about it, but i dont really know that much about setting up a vert room, so maybe in the future i could try it out.

Doors got hung tonight, should be wiring and insulating within the next couple days

i just have to figure out how im going to run the 240 into each room through a timer that all lights can plug into, What do you guys with multiple lights use for a timer?

probably making my own breaker box within the week, or possibly just running the 240 straight from the breaker, and put outlets in the room for the lights. Hell i could run 110 outlets in the walls for fans and shit too. hmmm it would probably save some money.

im getting really excited to get this thing up and running. This is the first big room ive set-up and i cant wait till its filled with dense green. I have 49 clones rooting in rapid rooters at the moment, a mix of 4 different NL potential mothers, 1 blue cheese, and one power kush. I might just fill 3kw at the moment and wait till my PPP, Aurora indica, and Lemon skunk are big enough for the other 3kw. That is if i fall short on money, otherwise im going to run all 6kw.

thanks for stopping by and helping me get this room together.

mdk ktm

so i would need one for each of the 3kw, because i want to do a flip flop from room to room.

thanks for showing me that, i have a million ideas in my head and this seems like a good way.

junior_grower

Yes and no.
you could use 2 but would need 6 ballasts total, and no flip flop. The second way is to plug all the ballasts into the controller ( only 1 needed), then the lamp cords from the ballast into the flip flop.

They can be built for a little less, but CAP makes a great product and I trust my life to them everyday.

mdk ktm

wouldnt a flip flop basically do the same thing as that? i just want both rooms to be 12/12 so its a constant 3kw. I will buy all 6 ballasts if i have to and not buy the flip flop. I just want a good working room thats not going to break the bank.

junior_grower

The reason I use the cap HPr1 is ease of wiring. I run one 30 amp line from the breaker panel and plug my lights in. The flip flop would not give you power outlets for the ballasts, you would still need to run a circuit and plug for each ballast.