What's new

1st timer compost -please help

aeviaanah

I was bored today and started to make a compost of everything i could find in the backyard. I started with a five gallon bucket....i will list ingredients in order stuff was added.

15-25 rotten apples
3-4 bundles fresh grapes with leaves
5-7 grapefruit/oranges
1/4 gal soil/compost**
10-15 more rotten apples
dried grass about 6-8 months old
1/4 gal soil/compost***
hardened solid ash from firepit

**this soil was actually my first attempt at making my own soil. i added chicken manure, steer manure, perlite, vermiculite, peat moss, coco coir...just a bunch of aimless mixing. it has actually been sitting for over a year now, dry.

i then wet mixture down lightly and covered loosely. tomorrow im going to pour about a half gallon of some tea i made yesterday. im planning on starting another 5-gal bucket.

any input?
what other ingredients help breakdown mix?
should i wet the soil mix i made about a year ago?

jaykush

dirty black hands
ICMag Donor
Veteran
you filled a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit for a year? am i getting this right? what does it look like now? did it sit for a year dry or moist?

ususally people make piles much bigger than 5 gallons, this eay it heats up and decomposes faster. or they get some worms and have them do the job. they love rotten apples.

aeviaanah

you filled a 5 gallon bucket and let it sit for a year? am i getting this right? what does it look like now? did it sit for a year dry or moist?

ususally people make piles much bigger than 5 gallons, this eay it heats up and decomposes faster. or they get some worms and have them do the job. they love rotten apples.
i made soil about a year ago...i added a little of this to the 5 gal compost bucket.

aeviaanah

your better off now then you were before! just keep piling.

i went out and bought some sphagnum peat moss it is omri. i also bought some perlite...what would you do now that you know all the ingredients, compost materials i can get a hold of? i also bought some earth worms, not sure when to throw them into compost bucket tho. i will continue brewing tea to water plant and start soil food web.

S

schwagg

throwing worms in the bucket might kill them. might get too hot for them.

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I picked up a CompostSak at a recent nursery trade show. It's a sample of this new product from SmartPots.

It costs $39.95 and makes up to 100 gallons of thermal compost. Something to consider perhaps.

CC

CS_blue_shirt.jpg

Compostbetter_02.jpg

Last edited:
S

staff11

Those look nice, I might have to get a couple. Compared to my halfassed rabbit wire fence bin anyways.lol

aeviaanah

I picked up a CompostSak at a recent nursery trade show. It's a sample of this new product from SmartPots.

It costs $39.95 and makes up to 100 gallons of thermal compost. Something to consider perhaps.

CC
Right on, currently i am making the switch to a large 30gal plastic tub with holes drilled in it for worms to breathe.

aeviaanah

throwing worms in the bucket might kill them. might get too hot for them.
I did some research on vermicompost and decided to not throw them in there. Instead i through them in the old compost bin...added just a little bit of food till they get adjusted. FREE EWC here i come!

C

CT Guy

Can we back up just a bit? First off, how do you want to compost the material?

Static compost? (let it sit for 6 months to a year, doesn't heat up or kill weed seeds or pathgens)

Vermicompost? (worms process the material, doesn't heat up or kill weed seeds, kills pathogens)

Thermal? (carbon to nitrogen ratio is balanced "greens" vs "browns" and the pile, typically 3' X 3' minimum will heat to above 135F but turn before it goes above 160F, fastest way to compost, kills weed seeds and pathogens)

aeviaanah

Can we back up just a bit? First off, how do you want to compost the material?

Static compost? (let it sit for 6 months to a year, doesn't heat up or kill weed seeds or pathgens)

Vermicompost? (worms process the material, doesn't heat up or kill weed seeds, kills pathogens)

Thermal? (carbon to nitrogen ratio is balanced "greens" vs "browns" and the pile, typically 3' X 3' minimum will heat to above 135F but turn before it goes above 160F, fastest way to compost, kills weed seeds and pathogens)

thanks for letting helping with the three types of compost. i plan on having one vermicompost and one thermal compost. the five gallon bucket is the thermal compost. the worms are in a 20 gal plastic container with the static compost from last year.

S

schwagg

i'd dump the 5gal bucket somewhere on the ground and add to it. by the time you get a nice size pile, it'll be a fraction of that when it's done. feed the worms too!

aeviaanah

i'd dump the 5gal bucket somewhere on the ground and add to it. by the time you get a nice size pile, it'll be a fraction of that when it's done. feed the worms too!
how do you guys keep pests from comming indoors when using compost from outdoors?

S

schwagg

i bought two octopus plants to catch fruit flys. i set them by our fruit/veggies and they're as happy as can be. the only flies i see are ones stuck to the plant. works out great!

Clackamas Coot

Veteran
I need to use up about 20 lbs. of alfalfa meal - does this product qualify as 'green' for a small compost bin? Or do I need to get fresh green material?

Thanks!

CC

pearlemae

May your race always be in your favor
Veteran
Definitly a green, go easy with alfalfa as it will heat your compost way up like 160 or so. Mix with a lot of browns newspaper cardboard,leaves when they fall damp as a wrung out sponge, keep it aerated. Compost anything but meat and no dog,pig,human feces they can cross contaminate pathogens with humans. Try to keep the pile or bin covered as tge rains will leach out all the good nutes etc.

headband 707

Plant whisperer
Veteran
It's great your making your own soil may I make a suggestion for your future soil . Soil like you to add things like potato peels, egg shells, all your veg waste, grass clippings, lime will break it down faster and it takes one year. It's called black gold.. peace out Headband707