What's new

1st timer. 250W metal halide closet...any tips?

noob33

im a first time grower. i was able to get my hands on some nice bubba kush seeds and decided to give growing a shot.

I germinated 6 seeds......5 made it and im about 12 days into the grow. i just transplanted them into the 8" pots you see in the pictures. i dont really want the plants to get more than 3 feet tall.

setup:

-basement closet. 3ft X 4ft
-250W metal halide lamp. 24 hr
-styrofoam insulated floor.
-mylar lining the inner walls, celing and door
-adjustable ceiling. set at 3.5 ft right now. i can raise it with relative ease
-small fan blowing on the plants
-Temperature consistent around 78 F
-spray with water occassionally to increase humidity
-water when pots are dry with small amounts of nutrients

ive done alot of research on here and set up the room as best as i think i can. i think my only issue may be exhaust. there is a crack under the door that lets a little light escape and aides in exhaust. is this good enough? im losing a little light but i can accept that as long as there is air leaking under the door as well.

just wondering how some of the more experienced growers think i am doing so far. anything i should change or add?

Last edited:

noob33

anyone at all?

anyone at all?

cmon guys. i need to know if im headed in the right direction. pics are in my gallery. for some reason i cant load them into my post.

G

Gratephul4THC

Hey noob33 by what i am reading you are def heading in the right direction. The only things i will say to you are make sure you can exhaust the heat out of the room somehow I don't think the door crack will be enough, also keep you plants close to your light (about 8-12 inches) to prevent stretching. Hope everything works out and ask me anymore questions if you'd like

noob33

3 weeks in

3 weeks in

ok. so im about 3 weeks into the grow. everything has been going pretty well so far. i water them once every three days (when soil is almost completely dry. i gave them their first full dose of nutrients when i watered them today. ive been reading about LST and thought id give it a try on two of them.

here are a couple of shots of one of the LST plants.

and heres another overhead shot

and one from level ground

something i was wondering: there is very little space between nodes on all of these plants. it seems like there is no stretch in them at all. is this because theyre only 3 weeks old, or could it be that theyre going to be some stout bushes?

noob33

oh. i also improved the exhaust system. i have a fan sucking the hot air out of the top of the room and pushing it out through the closet next door. i now have a constant circulation of air

FreezerBoy

Was blind but now IC Puckbunny in Training
Veteran
Part of it is they're still young. Part of it is your MH bulb. If you were using an HPS you might be twice as tall but, you wouldn't have any more shoots.

Looking good!

ZeusOGrefugee

Registered Medical Patient
Veteran
:wave: Hello Noob33...welcome!!First off, your plants look very good so far..:woohoo:...The reason they are so short and bushy is because of the MH. I use a 250 HPS, and it puts out little to no heat, so I can keep it fairly close to the canopy and get no burn!!!f ur MH puts out little heat, then ur good to go!!! :rasta: What are u feeding them?? Soil?? Go gentle on the LST so young...I would let em veg 1 more week, IMO, before u go crazy, but they look very healthy...nonetheless...As far as ventilation, a good oscillating fan will prolly do if it doesnt get too hot in there...ummm!!! Yea, they look good bro...check out some of the diaries here for some great skills, and just read and learn!!! We are all finding new shit everyday!!! Peace bro, and check out TML16, Core, Dr. Dog, just to name a few...BlackRain...later!!!

- Zeus

ZeusOGrefugee

Veteran
sorry dude, the MH keeps the nodes nice and tight, thats why theyre short and bushy...IMHO, thats what u want everytime, unless its a good Sativa...

noob33

thanks for the responses, guys. im using regular scotts potting soil that i got from home depot. for fertilizer, im using another home depot special.....i forget the name right now. but its a 20-16-12 solution.
i thought it was a little early for LST....so i guesss ill take it easy there.
should i try any ther training methods on the other 3? maybe some topping? im a beginner and im very curious about all of the methods.

ZeusOGrefugee

Veteran
dont try anything else until they grow some more bro'...patience is a virtue when growing!!!Keep it kool..

- Z

noob33

good advice, zeus. thanks. oh, the fertilizer is called Vigoro. i remember when i was at home depot that it was either that, miracle grow or time-released pellets.

noob33

so when i got home from work today, i noticed that my plants didnt grow that much from the top, but the side shoots really started to blow up. i suppose that is a good thing.

maybe i wont do anything to the other 3 plants. they look great right now and could wind up being fat bushes with no training at all.

G

Gratephul4THC

noob33, things look great man, be careful with some of those home depot nutes too. Short bush plants are exactly what you want, tall stretchy plants are just a pain to work with man trust me. LST is great i am doing it for the first time myself and i think i am going to do it for every grow i have here on out. Seeing as you are new i would recommend doing different things to different plants and seeing exactly which way you like growing your plants the best. Also keep the light close to the plants so they don't stretch, just trust me because in the long run you'll be happy you did.

Check out my grow diary if u wanna see a LST ScrOG set up to get an idea of how it works.

-ONE

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
Hey Noob

I think everyone has the basis covered here, I wont waste our time repeating what everyone has said, but just ask questions if you have any issues, we are all good guys that hang out here in the diaries section, we help when we can.

Grow is looking good, is that your final flowering pots?

noob33

Grateful: Thanks man. i think i did go through one of your diaries when i was seeking info on LST. i also saw a thread that started with a computer generated diagram on how to move the top of the plant around the outer edge of the pot while LSTing.

you mentioned something about home depot nutes. what kind of nutes would you suggest? and how often do you think i should use them? i read some things that said to use with every watering....and some say skip a watering. the more i read, the harder it becomes to tell whats right from whats wrong.

Dr. Dog: thanks for stoppin in, man. i appreciate any info anyone is willing to share with me. everyone has been cool to me so far. im just like u guys....i love to smoke and now i want to smoke my own stuff

i had planned on them being my final flowering pots. i dont really have alot of room in there. you think i should go bigger? i have 8" pots now. maybe if i have to toss out males, ill transplant the females into bigger pots

Dr Dog

Sharks have a week dedicated to me
Veteran
See these plants they are what I have, they are in 4 gallon containers and will yield about an ounce dried each in about 3 weeks. YOu are going to get bigger buds, when you have bigger pots.

But lets figure that 3 of your plants will be female, and you wanted to transplant them into bigger pots, you would easily have room for 3 4 or 5 gallons

They are great where they are now.

noob33

i see what u mean, dog. i can definitely fit a few of those 4 gallon containers in my room. i was just afraid that they would grow too big and end up fighting for light.

so, i can transplant AFTER the sex is revealed without having a problem?

Queso45

If you're worried about height you might want to consider switching to an 18/6 light cycle. Its been said that the plants growth is less stretchy and has closer node length.

I recently transplanted my plants about 3 weeks after the 1st one showed pre-flowers (I was still vegging though). I've just read that it can stress the plant if you transplant it too far into flowering.

Just my 2 cents...
Good luck with your first grow.