What's new

1st time grow|Northern Lights|Bubblegum|Big Bud|Afghan

This is Day 19-scratch the Day 27 - oops!

This is Day 19-scratch the Day 27 - oops!

It is day 19, not day 27. I started the seeds on June 24th.

Ok, so welcome to the new and improved grow!

Upon all of everyone's suggestions I figured I needed to do what I could with space and lights as that would cost me nothing. After robbing a light fixture from inside my house (grin) I have got them under 2 separate fixtures. So added 64 watts as well.

They are now all equal distance to the light source and I can adjust the heights of all the plants and lights going forward.

I also put them inside a tray so I could get them a little further apart. I lined this tray with aluminum foil just for fun. And I actually think it is helping because even the undersides of leaves which were shaded before now are lit up.

Some shots...

Happy plants.

GP

Lookin' good!

I like your use of bricks for the different heights. I am using a plastic storage container/shoebox under one of mine for that purpose. Like you, I just searched through what I had on hand. One of my plants is 5" taller than the other!

Ya, I saw your other thread about drying in the flowering room. I'm following that for sure because I could be in the same boat at the end. Your lemony mystery plant looks tasty. :)

GP

Marco61

All that room in that shed/closet... you should be using a HID. :)

Gotta start somewhere though... I'll admit, but I don't want to, that even I started out with flouros. Don't tell anyone though.

Best of luck to you GreenPrincess.

If they finish at different times, I am going to see if I can utilize the closet under the stairs in the basement that I had TOTALLY forgotten about until after I got a couple responses. I seriously don't think it has been opened for about 6 years :D Might be kinda scary in there. I will brave it tomorrow...

The pistils on that "Lemon Pie" are a pretty light yellow-green color, and I am really digging how it looks. The Chem 4's are white. I saw one variety on here where the pistils were a fuchsia/magenta! It was wild-looking... wish I could remember what it was called. Then I saw another one on here where the whole top of the plant was purple. I am excited about trying new things in the future :)

If they finish at different times, I am going to see if I can utilize the closet under the stairs in the basement that I had TOTALLY forgotten about until after I got a couple responses. I seriously don't think it has been opened for about 6 years :D Might be kinda scary in there. I will brave it tomorrow...

The pistils on that "Lemon Pie" are a pretty light yellow-green color, and I am really digging how it looks. The Chem 4's are white. I saw one variety on here where the pistils were a fuchsia/magenta! It was wild-looking... wish I could remember what it was called. Then I saw another one on here where the whole top of the plant was purple. I am excited about trying new things in the future :)

I feel your pain. My shed is kinda creepy at night for sure. Yes, I have been looking at all the threads too. All the colors of the rainbow on those pistils. I want to try a strawberry and of course a lemon (like yours) if I can get past this grow and get my hands on the seeds. :)

GP

Okay all, so I have been thinking about this and I like the new set up. It is going to be easy to adjust things for whatever females I have left after pulling the inevitable males.

That being said, what I am gathering from all my reading is that I can use all sorts of tie down tactics and trimming and bending to get more yield and this is all good. But even if I do everything in my power to get these plants to the end and get the most out of them, I am working with just over 200 watts of light. I mean, if 200 grams is my best potential with this set up, I don't think that's going to be good enough for me. It just seems I could do better.

So, I think I'll try to get a HID light next week and rework this crowd again....

GP

tube dude

Looks a lot better. The only thing that I can see that you might want to think about is trying to figure out a way to get the cfl bulbs horizontal to the grow area. You are loosing a lot of your light out of the top of the bulbs. On second thought, it might just be easier to buy one of those cheep solar blankets an drape it across the top of your lights to reflect to light back down on the grow area,

As far as lighting goes you will need at least 50 watts per square foot for flowering. You only need about half that much for veg. The more watts psf you have during flower flower the tighter your buds will be.

Quick questions...over analyzing maybe.

Quick questions...over analyzing maybe.

Okay, so knowing that I may or may not get two hid lights next week, an hps and a mh...there is that to consider.

But, even if I stuck with the current lighting I think it would behoove me to do some LST to these plants after I take cuttings. I am assuming I want them in their final pots before this LST can commence.

I plan to take cuttings/tops next Monday which I will attempt to clone. I'll veg everything for at least 2 weeks. Then, I think I should flip the original group, hoping that sexing goes well, because then I could pick one or two of the female clones to keep in vegetation for future cuttings. It would be keeping a clone mother, but right now I am thinking about the long wait from seed and I'd like to have something going so... then if there are other remaining female clones I'm willing to run I could throw them in with the ones already flowering.

So my questions, knowing this is my basic plan, what size final pot and when should I transplant??

Thanks guys,
GP :thank you:

tube dude

I don't think you would be able to pull 200 grams. Most grows don't reach 1 gram per watt even using hps. Of course a lot of it depends on what strain you are growing but I would say that .5 gpw would be closer to normal. You could probably do it if you were running hydro. I don't know for sure. Hydro is not my thing, I grow Organic soil.

If you go with the hps, you will also have no choice but to ventilate the grow area or at least install a/c . Plus there is the added cost of the electricity. You will also need to make sure you have enough amperage on the circuit running to your shed to run all of your equipment.

I don't think you would be able to pull 200 grams. Most grows don't reach 1 gram per watt even using hps. Of course a lot of it depends on what strain you are growing but I would say that .5 gpw would be closer to normal. You could probably do it if you were running hydro. I don't know for sure. Hydro is not my thing, I grow Organic soil.

If you go with the hps, you will also have no choice but to ventilate the grow area or at least install a/c . Plus there is the added cost of the electricity. You will also need to make sure you have enough amperage on the circuit running to your shed to run all of your equipment.

Well, shoot. Well I just thought it would be just so nice to grow a few pot plants.

If you were me, would you go with the hps?

And how the heck to I check the amperage?

I was thinking of getting this, and if you look down at 'Frequently Bought Together' you see a booster fan and a duct as well that I could get. How would this be for me?

http://www.amazon.com/Apollo-Hortic...mmable/dp/B005ECZQTY/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

Thanks for your help...

GP :comfort:

As far as lighting goes you will need at least 50 watts per square foot for flowering. You only need about half that much for veg. The more watts psf you have during flower flower the tighter your buds will be.

That tray I have them in is 7.3 sq feet. With your advice that means if I was to keep them in there I'd need 365 watts for flowering, however many plants are in there.

So, a 400 watt bulb would do me, but why not just take them to the floor and get the 600 watt and figure out this ventilation problem...

Hmm...I'll marinate on this for a bit.

GP

tube dude

I like to train before topping. Some times I don't top at all. I have better luck cloning from the smaller side branches than from the tops. I have done a lot of reading and a lot of experimenting on all kinds training methods and have found that the best yields come from a flat, level, and even canopy. There are hormones inside the plant called auxin. The auxin slows down growth in the lower part of the plant. In other words the lower portions of the plant have a higher auxin level than the top. If you bring
all of the growth to the same height , all of the growth will have the same auxin level and will grow at the same rate. The the tallest bud will always grow the fastest even if it comes from the bottom of the plant.

As far as pot size goes will depend on how long you veg.

tube dude

Look in your breaker box and find out which breaker goes to your shed. Add up the amps used on that breaker and don't exceed the number on that breaker. The ballast on the light was 5.4 amps.

I used to have a cab that was 8 sf and I was running 476 watts of t-8 florescent tubes. I have some pics in my gallery if you want to check it out. Now I just run the small cab in the first set of pics.

Update Day 21 from Seed

Update Day 21 from Seed

Well, a big thank you to Tube Dude for the lack of sleep. But, seriously I decided to revamp things. I couldn't stop thinking about getting the whole plant lit. I decided, gotta go vert or SCROG. Some pictures from the long afternoon...

Moving day:

Had an idea...litter containers, nice fit:

Chopping them up:

1st group going in:

The Northern Lights:

Day 21 Update, Cont'd again...

Day 21 Update, Cont'd again...

Right Side: 3 x Big Bud 1 x Northern Lights:

Left side: 2 x Bubble Gum 1 x Big Bud 1x Afghan:

Northern Lights - Muhahawhaha! (Damn thing is probably a boy. Let's hope not:

Bubble Gum #1 - let's hope it's Miss!:

The whole contraption:

GP

Day 21 - Finally Over

Day 21 - Finally Over

Okay, so I hope this works. One beautiful thing I see, is that the new shoots coming off of the Northern Lights lower branches are right up next to what used to be the canopy. That's cool.

And Ms/Mr. Bubble Gum #1, it's all laid out.

The lighting situation is pathetic at this point. I am ordering one Wednesday. Better go with some fast shipping.

Some thoughts....I really hope I didn't just kill my plants bending and twisting them all over. I read threads for days man, it seemed like I could do it. But I now have a couple new questions if anyone actually reads this far.... :)

Vegetation. When does it actually start. This is Day 21, am I to count this as 3 weeks into Vegetation then?

Need to take cuttings-I'm thinking they should come from below the canopy, if possible....Waste not, Want not? Hoa many nodes do I need, really?

And lastly, crap, I can't remember....
Lastly,
Ah! Bread ties suck. There's gotta be a better way. Plus I only have like 3 left. What to use for tie downs from here? String?

Cool. Shred me, tell me how to fix my shit, love me-I don't care, I got to play with my pot all day! :) Hope you like the photos.

Thanks again for all the help...

GP

littlegrow

what type of kevins are you running on the CFLs ?, if you use 6500k then nodes will be shorter and less strech, but if you use the 2700k for veging then the nodes will be fearther apart :), but there looking good so far :)

btw veging starts as soon as they get there real set of leafs, you can find out what sex they are by putting them into 12/12 light meaning 12 hours of light and 12 hours of darkness, after a week or more they will show sex either male or female and if they are female you can either revert them back into veging or keep them at 12/12 to make them produce bud.

but when they flower as its called they will stretch and grow twice there size

also a link to show you how to take cuttings :)

http://weedfarmer.com/cannabis/cuttings.php

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts