Diary 1st time coco auto DTW & salts on FCE3000

Sampas92

Just newbin
my thoughts exactly
wishing you good travels on this adventure sampas
from your past grows you've learned a lot and grown some wicked weed
you got this.....:good:
Thanks bro
I hope i got it because i know i will have the help of you guys on my newbiness :D

Peace :tiphat:

stiff

Veteran
I also think u got this. I was nervous switching from soil to coco,but honestly...everything got better from then on for me.
Just dont let the coco dry out!!!..dont treat it like soil,because its not soil. Keep the ec fluctuations low and always give 10% drain. I think those are the golden rules to the success. I dint even measure the run-off anymore. It's sooo good

Sampas92

Just newbin
I like how by just some hours appart they are bigger
Skunk
20220509_012103.jpg

Speed
20220509_012141.jpg

Amnesia
20220509_012334.jpg

Super
20220509_012122.jpg
20220509_012036.jpg
20220509_012024.jpg

Sampas92

Just newbin
I also think u got this. I was nervous switching from soil to coco,but honestly...everything got better from then on for me.
Just dont let the coco dry out!!!..dont treat it like soil,because its not soil. Keep the ec fluctuations low and always give 10% drain. I think those are the golden rules to the success. I dint even measure the run-off anymore. It's sooo good
Thanks bro, i hope you all can see some good nugs in the end and me to smoke them :D

Jaysways

Hey @Sampas92 ive been doing coco for a very long time now, I remember when I first started my automatic irrigation journey and man!!! Did I complicate things.

If you went into my grow room right now while it was watering you would not even know, it is silent!

I remembered I wanted a sprinkler system, with pressure compensated sprinklers LOL

If you want pressure in your system your going to have to use mains water or centrifugal pumps if wanted to be done correctly.

And I would only set it up like that if I was growing many many plants. Small commercial basically.

For home grows you can create good systems with normal aquarium pumps,( there won’t be no sprinkler effects or mist as you need pressure )

And I always see People on forums saying you need to flood the pots and get good run off , - drip systems were first used in places like Iran, Kuwait , dessert places where water is scarce and does not want to be wasted. They do even slow drips around the pots and the medium wicks the water, the ec stays more stable and doesn’t spike and does not leave air pockets rushing through the medium changing the ec in places. Slow and steady , low amounts of run off, and keeping the medium wet and understanding dry backs is the key to successful growing in DTW

@Sampas92 i would scrap the misters and find a way to water the pots evenly around the stem and nice and steady.

I’m not trying to say what your doing is wrong as you can grow a million different ways, this is just a very optimal way - and that’s what growing cannabis indoors is about - having everything “optimal”

Sampas92

Just newbin
Hey @Sampas92 ive been doing coco for a very long time now, I remember when I first started my automatic irrigation journey and man!!! Did I complicate things.

If you went into my grow room right now while it was watering you would not even know, it is silent!

I remembered I wanted a sprinkler system, with pressure compensated sprinklers LOL

If you want pressure in your system your going to have to use mains water or centrifugal pumps if wanted to be done correctly.

And I would only set it up like that if I was growing many many plants. Small commercial basically.

For home grows you can create good systems with normal aquarium pumps,( there won’t be no sprinkler effects or mist as you need pressure )

And I always see People on forums saying you need to flood the pots and get good run off , - drip systems were first used in places like Iran, Kuwait , dessert places where water is scarce and does not want to be wasted. They do even slow drips around the pots and the medium wicks the water, the ec stays more stable and doesn’t spike and does not leave air pockets rushing through the medium changing the ec in places. Slow and steady , low amounts of run off, and keeping the medium wet and understanding dry backs is the key to successful growing in DTW

@Sampas92 i would scrap the misters and find a way to water the pots evenly around the stem and nice and steady.

I’m not trying to say what your doing is wrong as you can grow a million different ways, this is just a very optimal way - and that’s what growing cannabis indoors is about - having everything “optimal”
Thabks for that bro, truly.

So i would be better qith for example forflex caps and flooding them?

For run off i will aim between 10 and 30%.

When you saying understanding dry backs are you talking about the salts building up as the coco dry?

Btw and since you growing in coco, i see people not advising to guve them water between the night time, whats your thoughts on that?

In all honesty i just want them watered and automated, i choose the misters, but if there is better and easier ways ill go for them.

Again, thanks :D

Sampas92

Just newbin
The water in the humi is way hotter than it should be and im trying to understand of its from the light or if anyone using mist heads noticed that they heat the water if working continuously?
20220509_134008.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
They not made to work continously! At least 30 s pause every 60 to 90 seconds of working. And yes, they get a bit heated but not much. I haveno ideea what happens if you work them continously, other that the membrane will crack earlier than it should. And why work them continously? Mine goes to 99%+ RH in the tent in like 5 mins, with the pauses required.

Sampas92

Just newbin
They not made to work continously! At least 30 s pause every 60 to 90 seconds of working. And yes, they get a bit heated but not much. I haveno ideea what happens if you work them continously, other that the membrane will crack earlier than it should. And why work them continously? Mine goes to 99%+ RH in the tent in like 5 mins, with the pauses required.
I have them continuously working and the extract works when it reaches the limit i set.
If i have the extract always on i cant maintain the rh and if i run the misters on the controller only when need it, then i cant have the extract on too.
I cant lower the power of the extract anymore so i guess heating they will continue

Sampas92

Just newbin
End of day 2, at naked eye they look way bigger than yesterday, not too green or too pale, still a bit of a mix of both but seems more on the healthy side my newb thinks
Skunk
20220510_021345.jpg
20220510_021937.jpg

Speed
20220510_021912.jpg

20220510_021402.jpg

Amnesia
20220510_021440.jpg

Super
20220510_021352.jpg

Temp 24c, at the hotest part of the day it reached 25.5, rh always 79~81% (i supose) light still at 25% at +/- 60cm, even tho they seem to point to the center of the light, thinking in raising the power a notch, maybe mid day 3, 24/0 still, thinking on start the first night time on day 3 or 4.
20220510_021903.jpg
20220510_021511.jpg

Sampas92

Just newbin
Day 3, bigger again, noticing getting bigger during the day
Skunk
20220511_002631.jpg

Super
20220511_002637.jpg

Amnesia
20220511_002702.jpg

Speed
20220511_002652.jpg

Btw, the pump have arrived, you all were right and it doesnt work with the misters. Is strong tho qnd quite silent and sturdy. Trying to find a solution.
What would be better, flooding some floraflex top things or some diy thing, or those round tubular shaped things?or just the hose?
20220510_132149.jpg
20220510_132145.jpg

20220511_002938.jpg

Sampas92

Just newbin
Uppon more tests, the pump makes a shower head at 2m height work good
Screenshot_20220511-194328_Gallery.jpg

With the misters it doesnt work, and 8 open line neither
Screenshot_20220511-194315_Gallery.jpg

4 open lines works but its very uneeven and its depending in the direction of the hoses, they are the same size, just 1~3mm difference in length
Screenshot_20220511-194301_Gallery.jpg

It cant force the water through the thin hose, but if it works on the shower head, i guess a wider hose with open outlets would work?
Anyone has any ideas?
Screenshot_20220511-194240_Gallery.jpg

stiff

Veteran
Get yourself thicker vinyl hose and a few halos and I think you're done.
(Pics borrowed from cocofrocannabis) Hydro-Halo-Schematic.jpg q.jpg

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
If that would work then 4 aquarium type valveson thosetubes should also work. Problem is you need to restrict flow to make it uniform along all outlets. If pump is not a pressure one it may not work at all.

Sampas92

Just newbin
End of day 4 and first night cicle. Lowered the rh from 80 to 70~75% for the next times, day and night

Skunk, its a bit pale
20220512_020258.jpg

Super
20220512_020304.jpg

Amnesia
20220512_020318.jpg

Super
20220512_020310.jpg

@stiff to use this pump in need for it to not be restricted or at a minimum. Either i get other type of pump or get a way to use this one, so i guess valves is a nono

The cu edta and the iron dtpa have interesting colors
20220512_021509.jpg
20220512_021607.jpg

stiff

Veteran
The valves should not be used to minimise the waterflow. Only to balance it right between your different pots. If you dont use a valve before each pot its very difficult to get the same amount of water delivery with each watering from the pump.
I hear you, just buy another pump. Theyre not all that costly. I'm sure you'll find use for this one if you stick to coco..its great to fill a Reservoir quickly or empty it..either way🙂
Managing-Auto-Watering-cover.jpg

Last edited:

Sampas92

Just newbin
End of day 5 after the first night cicle
At the same time the coco dried a bit, more in some than others.
Gave them today before lights out the first watering with just a bit of runoff, ec of 1100 of nutrients plus 300 from my water at a ph of 6
20220513_013646.jpg

Skunk, the pallest one, run off ec: 1750 ph5.7
20220513_014607.jpg

Speed, its not trully happy, ec: 1760 ph5.7
20220513_014612.jpg

Amnesia the more droopy and the one with the driest coco, ec: 1760 ph5.7
20220513_014617.jpg

Super, paler today and a bit of what seems a bit of purpling in the leaflet ec:1700 ph5.8
20220513_014602.jpg

Talking about watering, my pressure spayer that i used to handwater broke and its leaking and now i handwater on the old fashion way, pump its worthless to water the girls and i cant graps how everyone say the cheapest pump will work and this one doesnt, at least it mixed the salts.
Either way, i look online and i see pumps for everything, for all kind of shits, 400w 3bar garden ones, 11000l/h 0.7bar clean water ones, for oil, for dirty water, aquarium pumps, diaphragm pumps, or im too stupid and dumb or there is something that i still didnt get, and i will not buy a pump that sounds almost like a plane taking off, its fustranting to say the least.

Thanks on the help @stiff :good:
Btw, anyone know how should i read the run off regard the ec of my tap?

Last edited: