What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st regular seed, how and when to determine sex?

singlecoiled

Hi all, I'm 8 weeks into veg and am wodering when I can determine the sex of my plant? I'm two days into 12/12 and need to transplant asap as my plant is outgrowing my 1 gallon cloth pot...

This is an experiemntal grow, a mainline at the second node with 3 main branches. I'm planning on a mainline/manifold with 4 colas per brach for a total of 12....(things gota llttle crazy, I trained too early and lost a lot of branches.)

Note: this is a slow grow, intentionally. I am aware that the plant is very small for 8 weeks, but I keep my grows small. Im working on the "frame" of the plant if that makes any sense. Im also timing for low humidity (winter) for flower so I need this to take its time..

Can anyone see if this is male or female yet?

Attachments

• MK.JPG
    2.5 MB · Views: 51

Bona Fortuna

It looks like it’s showing it’s sex two nodes up from your training wire, can’t quite make it out from this picture.
Is there any way you can get a closer shot of the nodes above your training wire?

singlecoiled

I'll try to get some better shots tonight, its a small plant and very bushy, hard to get at with a micro lens....(nikon micro lens).... Thanks so much !

Here is another pic, Ive circled what I think I need to watch? They dont look like "spades" so I'm thinking its female?

View attachment MK2.JPG

singlecoiled

cropped

Attachments

• _DSC5816.JPG
    _DSC5816.JPG
    289.4 KB · Views: 47

singlecoiled

too early to tell
the ones you circled are not flowers, just hairy axils, both male and females have it, but if you look in there, it's where the flowers develop, between those "bracts", the axil of the leaf and the stem.

Thanks, I'll have to do some more reading, Im totally confused as to what part of the plant tells sex, I thought it was these little "pointy things", either they have a pistol ( Female, thin whispy thing that sticks out) or look like the spade on a deck of cards, (male), At least thats how I understand it.

The terminology, Bracts, Pistols, Flower, Node, confuses the hell out of me. I've grown 4 plants now and still dont know what a bud is... I just cut all the fan leaves/sugar leaves off and smoke the big clumpy thing that gets you high.

Here is something I think might be a flower, I'm still figurting it out. Grown by me, totally confused at trim time. Had no idea what was bud and what had to be trimmed. The good new is that it gets me VERY high.

Attachments

• _DSC4273.JPG
    _DSC4273.JPG
    4.2 MB · Views: 28
Last edited:

Bona Fortuna

The sex organs or flower formations will be just behind the ‘pointy things’, so you’re in the right area. I like the terminology.

Here is a quick google search of what a male flower in early formation will look like. Notice the bulbous structures with no white hair(pistil, stigma) behind the ‘pointy things’, those are the male flower formations. Also known as ‘balls’ since they look like… well…
1697669415652.jpeg

The node is the part where the main stem makes a ‘Y with the large leaves. Side branches come from this point as well.

Your bud looks good and you are correct, that is the flower of the plant. Looks well trimmed.

singlecoiled

The sex organs or flower formations will be just behind the ‘pointy things’, so you’re in the right area. I like the terminology.

Here is a quick google search of what a male flower in early formation will look like. Notice the bulbous structures with no white hair(pistil, stigma) behind the ‘pointy things’, those are the male flower formations. Also known as ‘balls’ since they look like… well…
View attachment 18906449
The node is the part where the main stem makes a ‘Y with the large leaves. Side branches come from this point as well.

Your bud looks good and you are correct, that is the flower of the plant. Looks well trimmed.

Thanks, I can see from this I'm looking at the wrong thing, I'll check again when lights come on tonight.

I should know soon hopefully, Today is day three of 12/12...

singlecoiled

View attachment 18906449

Thanks, all jokes aside though I really dont know exactly what a bud is. How the F can I be this stupid? Actually, I may be over thinking it, but I still dont really understand. I'm four successful harvests in as well. Thanks for the picture, very helpful.

After around 6 weeks of flower, I see big Colas growing with white hairs (that turn orange close to harvest). I see fan leaves, and sugar leaves. What confuses me is that I dont know what the "flower" is exactly. If it was a rose, I would get it. The big red flower is obvious, but with cannabis, it just seems to be a cluster of sugar leaves and pistols.... Not understanding fully, I just trim all the fan leaves and the sugar leaves that stick out.... It seems to me buds are just a cluster of sugar leaves? I dont get it !

Here is my third harvest, colas weighing in close to 2 ounces wet... I circled what is the flower? Maybe its the strain, but I have a hell of a time telling what to trim...is this the flower or a group of many flowers like Ive circled? Are sugar leaves part of the flower or completely seperate?

Attachments

• IMG_0532.JPG
    IMG_0532.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 36

Bona Fortuna

The actual flower is the little pod that the little hairs come out of. Conversely, on a male plant it is a those little balls. It’s called a bract or calyx and it’s where the seeds/pollen form.
What you have circled is a cluster of calyx.

The whole cluster/bud is also the flower, just in a different sense. The scientific term of the whole flower/stems/sugar leaves would be an inflorescence, but we just call it bud.

All in all, looking good.

singlecoiled

The actual flower is the little pod that the little hairs come out of. Conversely, on a male plant it is a those little balls. It’s called a bract or calyx and it’s where the seeds/pollen form.
What you have circled is a cluster of calyx.

The whole cluster/bud is also the flower, just in a different sense. The scientific term of the whole flower/stems/sugar leaves would be an inflorescence, but we just call it bud.

All in all, looking good.

Thanks, appreciate it. I'll just call the entire cola a flower and stop overthinking it.... (minus fan/sugar leaves)...

I just looked at my plant, I think it will take a little longer in flower to know the sex, I'll wait it out. Man I miss Fem seeds... Regular seeds are a hassle and a lot of effort with only a 50/50 chance !

singlecoiled

One week into flower now, still dont know, but the leaf tops are starting to look a lot like the females Ive grown in the past.

I'm not sure why, but there is nothing to see yet. Maybe my bag seed is an auto?

Bona Fortuna

They look like rotund little balls to me.

You can give it about a week if unsure or if you’re interested in seeing how the males develop before they drop pollen. You just have to be careful when removing it.

Latest posts

Latest posts