What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1st outdoor grow. Blueberry and Afghan Kush

chuey_316

What kind of size do those plants get to grown outside at your location ?

I'm not sure. This my 1st outdoor grow. I believe this strain generally gets to 5-6ft. I don't expect these to get very big though, due to lower hours of direct sun. I'm thinking around 4ft for the 6 main plants, give or take, and about 3ft for the 3 on the right.

chuey_316

It would seem that I have a mole problem. Damn thing is borrowing all through my grow area, and around my plants. I can't find my spring trap, so I'm going to stop on my way home from work and grab some Juicy Fruit gum.

chuey_316

I hopefully have the mole problem under control, but the burrowing around and under all my plants seems to have slowed the growth a bit. All plants are still healthy though.

Did some top dressing today. I pulled back the layer of straw, and spread 1/3 cup of Espoma Garden Tone around each plant. I then recovered the soil with the straw, and added 3-4 cups of EWC over the straw, followed by a gallon of rain water per plant.

I have some EWC tea brewing that should be ready tomorrow night, and will give the soil a feed in a couple days.

chuey_316

Another gloomy, mostly cloudy day here. Been this way for a few days now. The forecast is calling for partly to mostly cloudy for the next 7 days.

Here's a couple quick pics.

#5 the girl still leading the others in growth
20210622_113213.jpg
20210622_113235.jpg

#2 The 2nd strongest grower, and the girl that took the best to topping.
20210622_113350.jpg

I'm getting allot of these 3 blade leaves on the main Blueberry plants. Would this be from the lower levels of light that the plants receive in their location?
20210622_113433.jpg

chuey_316

All the plants got some tea 4 days ago. 3.5gal spead across all the plants. I then ran about 2gal or so of rain water through the bag of soaked EWC, and watered each plant again.

No pics right now because it's pouring rain at the moment, but I did a bit of supercropping on a few of the ladies last night as well. It's been raing off and on since yesterday, and it looks like rain for the next 4-5 days.

Since the weather is crap, I'll turn my attention to my indoor grow. Roughly 2.5x4.5ft veg cab for mothers and rooting clones, with two 55w 5500k led shop lights, and a 3x4ft flowering tent, with a 400w HPS.

I've been searching for a pheno in my stock of Afghan Kush seeds that will grow a single cola under 12/12 with clones. I only ran 3 clones from my new mother in my 27gal homemade EarthBox incase they brached out, but they are growing just like what I've been looking for.

It's hard to tell from the pic because my battery was too low to use the flash, so I had to have the hps on, but the cola is close to the length and shape of a 20oz soda bottle, with the girth of a 12oz can. I forgot to take pics when I transplanted them into the EarthBox, but they only stretched about 50-75% avg.

They were put in the flowering tent 24 days ago. I didn't put down the date they started to flower, but I'd say they're between 2.5 and 3 weeks in right now.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210626_211904.jpg Views:	0 Size:	99.5 KB ID:	17887111

A couple pics of the small bonsai Afghan mother. I'm keeping her small in a 2.5L bottle for now, but I'll probably move her to a 3gal bucket before long now that I know how her clones grow under 12/12. I should be able to comfortably fit 12 of her clones in my EarthBox, with some defoliating.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20210626_212515.jpg Views:	0 Size:	83.0 KB ID:	17887112
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210626_212508.jpg Views:	0 Size:	92.7 KB ID:	17887113

chuey_316

Rain, rain, and more rain. Got a little break in the weather and took some pics.

Plant #5 still leading the pack
wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==
​​

Some pics of the supercropping. Was a bit worried that I softened them too much, but they're responding well.
​​

And a couple pics of the 2 reveg'd Afghan Kush clones.
20210629_124327.jpg
20210629_124306.jpg

Anything I should be doing at this point? Should I be clearing out the lower growth or just letting them go?​​

chuey_316

Couple pics from today. The pics don't really do very good at capturing the size. They're not real big, but definitely a good bit bigger than what the camera makes them appear to be.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210704_141730.jpg Views:	0 Size:	84.3 KB ID:	17891852
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210704_141747.jpg Views:	0 Size:	111.1 KB ID:	17891853

The Afghan Kush reveg clone in the back left got super cropped again last night. It was one of the tallest of the bunch.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210704_141838.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	17891855

I'm also finding a couple leaves like this here and there on a few plants. Anything I should be concerned with?
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210704_141838.jpg Views:	0 Size:	136.5 KB ID:	17891855

chuey_316

I've been having to pull 3-4 fan leaves like the one above each day. I found a couple leaves with holes, or sections missing, like in the pics below. I looked over the plants, and didn't find any caterpillars.

Can anyone tell me what could be causing this?
20210707_064400.jpg
FB_IMG_1625791753796.jpg

Mattbho

Personally I would take another couple nodes off. Figure the lowest branches are only inches off the dirt when plant is dry/daytime. A wet evening and those flowers will be in the mud .

Is it possible u have flea beetles hopping away as u approach the gals? Your showing us the wrong side of the leaf. Thrips or aphids perhaps . Scope under those leaves u will find the culprit quick

Good Ipm plan is so important outdoors. I constantly rotate different sprays until flowers form . Here's a few Neem , canola , method 1, sulphur , garlic, nicotene, habenero, iso alcohol, em-1 , humic/seaweed/aloe, ect. Can be as cheap as 2 cigarettes and a dash of dawn dish soap mixed in a gallon of tap water.

Last edited:

chuey_316

Thanks Mattbho. I'll clean up the bottoms a bit more. I looked over the plants and all I found was a small moth under one leaf, but no signs of caterpillars, or larvae. I scoped both sides of the leaves, as well as the stems, and found nothing.

chuey_316

Still having to chop a few leaves here and there, but I found this fella hanging out on one of the ladies the other day
mantis.jpg

Today I found this. At 1st it appeared to be a thick powder like substance, similar to powdered detergent with a bit of water added to form a paste. After looking at it under a scope however, it's some type of webbing or fibers. PM maybe? I've looked over all of the plants, and this is the only branch that had anything on it.

leaf.jpg

stem.jpg

scope.jpg

chuey_316

Not really getting any responses here, so I posted this over in the infirmary. Steviewunder suggested that it may be mealybugs, as did another person elsewhere. While I haven't found any bugs, the symptoms all seem to match. The cotton like webbing, wet spots on the tops of random leaves with no rain or dew, and the random leaf stems withering away and falling off.

I ended up spraying them down with Garden Safe Fungicide 3, and will continue spraying every couple weeks till flower, then I guess just hope for the best.

chuey_316

Not many updates lately. Between work, injuries, shopping for a car, troubles with other vehicles we have, my gf's dad being give a couple weeks to live, and now a leaking roof, I've been stretched pretty thin to say the least.

I sprayed the plants with the Fungicide3. After about a week and a half I had one or two leaves wilting off on one plant. Gave them all a 2nd spray, and haven't had any issues since then. Once the sun goes down today, I plan to give them a 3rd spraying for good measure.

Most of the girls are roughly 3ft tall, and 3ft wide. A couple are closer to 2.5x2.5, and one girl is standing above the rest at 4ft tall and around 3ft wide. None of the plants have received any nutes or amendments, other than a 1 time spreading and light tilling of Garden tone, and a 1 time top dress of EWC.

Haven't done much to them, other than cleanup the bottoms, and insides from time to time. They've all been topped once, and supercropped 2-4 times.

My indoor grow is winding down, and I'll be taking a few clones from a couple of the girls when I do the next pruning here soon before they start to flower.

A top shot of one of the 3x3 Blueberry girls
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210810_170338.jpg Views:	0 Size:	89.4 KB ID:	17916119

Side shot of another
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210810_170319.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	17916121

And the tallest of the bunch is one of the AK reveg's in native soil.
Click image for larger version  Name:	20210810_170319.jpg Views:	0 Size:	106.9 KB ID:	17916121

Last edited:

chuey_316

All the girls are flowing now. The Blueberry's are much further along than the Afghan's. Around the 1st week to week and a half into flower, I pulled back the straw, and ewc, and gave each plant a handful of the garden tone, and topped that with a bit of fresh ewc because I was getting new yellow leaves each day. Not allot, but one or two here and there.

I also put some stakes in the ground and tied off some branches to spread things out, and open the ladies up, which knocked off close to 2ft in height as well.

The small plant on the far left is the Blueberry mother. I've been stretched pretty thin lately, and she got out of control inside, so I pruned her up a bit and put her out with her clones. I did take a few clones from both strains to grow new mums though.
20210904_175750.jpg
20210904_175908.jpg

20210904_175917.jpg

chuey_316

Had to chop about 2 weeks early due to some mold and bud rot from all the rain and humidity. Ended up with 17.5oz dried. I didn't get any pics at harvest time. When I got home from work and found the mold/rot, and started chopping right away, as it was starting to sprinkle, and another heavy rain was on the way. Took me by surprise, because the day before the buds all looked fine.

I haven't tried the Afghan yet since I still have about 3oz left from my indoor grow, but I did roll up a joint of the Blueberry. The taste was nice, and the effects were great. Sure it'll be really good after it cures for a few months.

Unfortunate that I missed out on the swell, but I'm happy with the end result. This will be enough to get me by till next years harvest, plus I have some clones that I took from these girls around the 1st week of flower that are vegging indoors now. I'll veg them for awhile, and take some clones for next year's outdoor grow before flowering the mom's indoor.

Latest posts

Latest posts