What's new

1st coco grow-having trouble-need help

GonjaLove

Shoutout to snow storm, this guy really knows his stuff, gracias hombre!

They loved the 2ML Of Foliage Pro. Have dyna-gro grow and FP.

Here are three keepers

Three mutants (two tri-foliators) and one that came up with it's second set and won't go past that. Only side growth.

Two Sick ones - yellow spots....

I only have one question - What do I do with the mutants? 2 tri's are kalishnikova from greenhouse seeds. 2 of 4 tri foliated...33% more yield? chuck em? keep em?

Don't care for the other mutant, critical sensi star from delicious seeds. I could see topping it a few times to get it to maybe grow but no :)

Lol his name is snowcrash...and yes he def knows his shit

GonjaLove

I have some money makers and incredible bulks that when topped created 3-4 shoots instead of 2. Mutating all over the place...dont get rid of them

Snow Crash

Veteran
I only have one question - What do I do with the mutants? 2 tri's are kalishnikova from greenhouse seeds. 2 of 4 tri foliated...33% more yield? chuck em? keep em?

Don't care for the other mutant, critical sensi star from delicious seeds. I could see topping it a few times to get it to maybe grow but no :)

Ride them out for a little bit to see if they can get straight. Usually, these plants will revert back to regular growth after a couple of triple internodes.

Seedlings are doing well.

Bought a RO system.

Any tips on when NOT to water with 0 PPM? 1/4 strength for seedlings? future reference...

Last edited:
I have some money makers and incredible bulks that when topped created 3-4 shoots instead of 2. Mutating all over the place...dont get rid of them

I usually wait till 5-6 nodes - top between 1st and 2nd for two mains, top between 2nd and 3rd for four mains. I've done both, the four mains can get huge and creates a very nice, even, light penetration for the plant - credit to uncle ben.

RedBeardy5

Please everyone take those cal/mag additives and throw them in the garbage unless your using them to wash. I had cal/mag issues for years and a member on here explained how I'm just locking it out by adding it to an already product based for coco. Both grows this year I did not see a cal/mad issue. Get h&g, you will never turn back when you see how easy and quality your buds are.

Please everyone take those cal/mag additives and throw them in the garbage unless your using them to wash. I had cal/mag issues for years and a member on here explained how I'm just locking it out by adding it to an already product based for coco. Both grows this year I did not see a cal/mad issue. Get h&g, you will never turn back when you see how easy and quality your buds are.

I don't use coco based products :)

However, I might in the future, but for now, these dyna-gro salts should do the trick.

R/O Water, Hydro Nutes, sometimes people cal-mag their water to 50ppm then add nutes.

I actually just picked up some magical+ by gh, 1-0-0 FTW cal-mag.

Mixing calmag with coco based product would seem iffy since coco products are geared towards coco, I would think they would supply the proper nutrition with A&B from canna or H&g - can get both bottles (base) for under 30$.

I would like to do a few runs with those brands, one thing at a time ;)

snow crash thank you for all your help and I have read questions you answered to others that have helped me tremendously.

I really feel like a goober after recommending a tsp of epsom salt, wow, did I have some math to learn. Been really studying!

Roots started coming out of the bottom of the solo cup onto the tent floor, wanted to see how long I could veg ins solo cups compared to promix that I use to use.

WOW! Does coco beat the heck out of promix!

Healthy freaking roots!!! And the formation of them is so much better then formations I have seen in the past. Seriously...I've seen roots that do nothing but wrap around whatever it's in. These really shoot straight down!

So I transplanted a few girls yesterday - the transplant process was very easy (I do prefer the coco to be a little dry when I transplant, very light and hold easy.)

They perked up after their 4 hour nap.....so....they recovered in pretty much 4 hours!

I am so far blown away by coco coir after getting off to a rough start with seedlings.

few pics.

Transplanted into 3 gal with the bottom inch or two filled with hydroton. Will be vegging a little longer, topping, cloning, possibly reversing a Kalashnikova branch to do some selective pollination on the oher Kalashnikova's - but that's a whole other story,process,etc.
Idk if I want to start playing with pollen yet - but I do want to start the process as well...I've ready to pollinate between weeks 2 to 4 of flower. I read somewhere bout a sweet spot being around 24-26 days. Maybe from rare dankness pollination video, can't remember.

Hope everyone had a great weekend!

Peace! :Bolt:

Last edited:

RetroGrow

Veteran
Seedlings are doing well.

Bought a RO system.

Any tips on when NOT to water with 0 PPM? 1/4 strength for seedlings? future reference...

Here's a blueberry from dutch passion with another 2 weeks~ to go. Topped for two mains. Has a little N Deff.

How do you guys like your trichs?

:canabis: mostly cloudy with some amber - it's impossible not to have clear or amber at harvest, so I've been told. 5%-10% clear 80-90% cloudy 5-10% amber....

Looking forward to this coco coir, peat moss retains water like no ones business.

I'm just curious why you are using RO water, when your tap was perfect @180 PPMs?
Tap water is fine for your plants, unless the PPMs are way high. Then I can see diluting with RO. Other than that, no reason to use it, except for final flush. Using RO with coco means you will need cal/mag, which is not necessary with tap water. The minerals in the tap water are good for your plants.
Roots look good though. The trichoderma and rhizotonic make them happy. By the way, coco is not peat moss.

Best coco threads, IMO:
Coco Hempy Style:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=147954

K.I.S.S.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191645

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98419

Best brands of coco:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175245

I'm just curious why you are using RO water, when your tap was perfect @180 PPMs?
Tap water is fine for your plants, unless the PPMs are way high. Then I can see diluting with RO. Other than that, no reason to use it, except for final flush. Using RO with coco means you will need cal/mag, which is not necessary with tap water. The minerals in the tap water are good for your plants.
Roots look good though. The trichoderma and rhizotonic make them happy. By the way, coco is not peat moss.

Best coco threads, IMO:
Coco Hempy Style:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=147954

K.I.S.S.
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=191645

The Official Hempy Bucket Thread

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=98419

Best brands of coco:
https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=175245

Those are some great threads that I've read. Thanks man. I bought a ro system because my tap water can get up to 250 ppm and that's all kinds of nasty stuff. I want to be able to manage everything down to a science, right down to the last ppm. I actually put some guaranteed analysis in the nute calc if someone can take a look at these and see if they seem correct, that would be great. Trying to keep it 3-1-2 in veg and 1-3-2 in flower Some people start feeding bloom nutes for the switch other feed veg/bloom balance to strengthen the stems on the stretch What do you guys like to feed during the transition period? 1-1-1 ? (the first two weeks of 12/12) coco is coco promix is peat moss Thanks for swinging by my man

are the nute calculations somewhat correct?

I used cannastats calc that everyone uses

put in the correct net weight and liquid weight or what not...

My sentence spacing didn't work in my last post, bleh.

Last edited:
youre a self proclaimed noob so heres my advice :pirate:

keep it simple, learn the process, from start to finish..run targeted additives,ie beneficials for root zones, pk's in flower etc..if you run too many experiments(additives, techniques) at once you really dont get solid data on what was succesful,and take notes..do yourself a favor and get an ro filter it will save you alot of headache, just my .2

You talked me into it! :biggrin:

Hey everyone! :tiphat:

Today was topping and cloning day.

I like to top for 4 colas, seems to work out nicely.

I did top the mutant kalishnikova, this thing is going to branch out like crazy.

I also topped a cotton candy for 8 mains for the heck of it. Usually do 2 or 4.

Everything is going well, transplant went well, looking forward to the ease of coco and possibly will be buying some coco nutes soon. They have a ton of good stuff in them (canna coco has lots of calcium, magnesium, fulvic, humic acids, chelates) really looking to get A+B plus 250 ML or rhizotonic/cannazyme and will use mollasses as boost. See how I like it.

Here's a few pics.

Hope everyone is doing well.

Peace. :smokeit:

Last edited:

sureshot66

Veteran
You talked me into it! :biggrin:
lol your damn right thats a 1st ive never seen a proponent of tap over ro unless your taps super low and free of chlorine chloramine etc. yes add calmag,you knew that, an ro filter is a cheap price you pay for nutrient management

I just read through this thread Cloudy. Id say your doing a great job as coco can be a bit tricky on your 1st try. From clone in red cups, the beginning of there lives in the hardest to maintain. Once you make it past those 1st couple weeks they go boom and your stoked! Seems like most of the advice you've been getting has been good. Except the epsome haha. Keep reading and learning and take all advice with a grain of salt! Read the infirmary any time you think you have a problem. Almost all problems are covered in there! Good luck ! Plants will always tell you what they need.

lol your damn right thats a 1st ive never seen a proponent of tap over ro unless your taps super low and free of chlorine chloramine etc. yes add calmag,you knew that, an ro filter is a cheap price you pay for nutrient management

Yeah, I really do enjoy using the ro water. It does take a lot of contaminates out.

I just read through this thread Cloudy. Id say your doing a great job as coco can be a bit tricky on your 1st try. From clone in red cups, the beginning of there lives in the hardest to maintain. Once you make it past those 1st couple weeks they go boom and your stoked! Seems like most of the advice you've been getting has been good. Except the epsome haha. Keep reading and learning and take all advice with a grain of salt! Read the infirmary any time you think you have a problem. Almost all problems are covered in there! Good luck ! Plants will always tell you what they need.

Thanks for stopping by!

Definitely good advice from everyone

So far I am loving this coco! Insane growth in the last 10 days.

just read all 64 pages

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=81674

new recipe

[FONT=&quot]==The Recipe==[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot](All Products are GenHydro,pH at 5.5 pH) used in coco[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](All measurements are per gal.)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6ml flora micro[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9ml flora bloom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Kool-Bloom POWDER[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]VEGETATIVE STAGE AT 24 HRS. LIGHT ON[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](18/6,optional)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Veg,Feed:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]6ml flora micro[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9ml flora bloom[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Use the above 1/2-strength on seedlings and clones to 10" tall,then feed full-strength>on.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Based on 63 day 12/12 Flower Cycle:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 1-14[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6ml micro[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9ml bloom[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 15-21[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp./Gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 15!)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 22-28[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9ml Bloom[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 29-35[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 tsp./gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 29!)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 36-52[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9 ml Bloom[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](AND ON DAY 36,a 1 tsp./gal Kool-Bloom POWDER Slam!!)[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 52-63 (Flush)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]5.5-6.0 pH h20 at 50 ppm[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Now you know!![/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]ADDENDUM 9-6-09:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I've seen yields increase about 15% (!!) with the above modifications.[/FONT]

old recipe

[FONT=&quot]Based on 63 day 12/12 Flower Cycle:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Flower feed – 6/9 for vegg!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Day 1-14[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]7ml Kool-Bloom Liquid (0-10-10)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Day 22-28[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 29-35[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 36-52[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]9 ml Bloom[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Day 50-63 (Flush)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]6.0 pH h20 at <100 ppm[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now you know[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]when you say:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I should be using the kool bloom for the entire time period with every watering (coco)? I plan on flushing 1-2 times a week[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Also, I'm running R/O... any input on calmag and whether or not I need it and if so how much/when[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]much, much, appreciated. hopefully the recipe will put my flowers back on track[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]YES EVERY DAY!!![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yup,use the KoolBloom every day,as described.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]No need for CalMag,imo,even with R/O.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](Only if it looks like you need it,add it-)[/FONT]

note on longer strains

[FONT=&quot]I'd feed a 12-week SSH micro,through week eight's end.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]That's 56 of 84 days....@ 35 days,cutting out the micro on a 12-week SSH is too soon,still,imo,and it'll still "finish" early.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]To answer a recent question from afom:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Yes,I created My "Recipe",solely,over the past decade-plus. Yes,I had some later-years input from friends who ran my Recipe,but the base "6/9,KoolBloom/6.0ph in>5.5 run-off/delete all but flora in the end,etc." regimen was developed years and years ago,by me,not a "group effort",and it was created long ago,before I ever posted this thread....[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]It started over at CW,in fact,in the late 1990's,talking with Lucas & Co. If there's any doubts as to my time line,Dutchgrown,for one,and GN,for another,can verify that it was many years ago that I detailed to them,in Amsterdam on a visit,in great detail,how I ran GH in a self-designed,modified "Lucas Formula",in pro-mix.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot](They wanted to know how I grew such killer bud without Dutch nutrients!)[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Over the years,I have taught (and continue to teach) this Recipe to many,many people.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Some modified it,as some of you do,and have had good-great successes with it. I think that's great,this is an awesome "baseline GH formula" to start with,for anyone,imo.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I switched over to coco,"US" style measurements were simply converted to metric for ease in micro-management in the new medium. I'd already been using GH for about a decade when I switched to coco,and changing mediums was no big deal at all,since I never amended my mediums using GH,and promix is inert,just a touch acidic-a simple pH difference in medium, nothing more.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The overall formula mods' were non-existent-it was mainly an overall increase in feeding due to coco's better oxygenation/drainage...and pH adjustment of the nutes-and the rest is history.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]note from another user[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot] not every strain can handle a full tsp/gal. of KoolBloom, speaking from experience they can be over fertilized.
[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]note from another user[/FONT]

Based on 90 day 12/12 Flower Cycle:

Day 1-22
6ml micro
9ml bloom

Day 22-33
6ml micro
9ml bloom
1 tsp./Gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 22!)

Day 33-44
6ml micro
9ml Bloom

Day 44-56
9ml Bloom
1 tsp./gal. Kool-Bloom POWDER (ONE FEED,DAY 44!)

Day 56-82
9 ml Bloom
(AND ON DAY 56,a 1 tsp./gal Kool-Bloom POWDER Slam!!)

Day 82-90 (Flush)
5.5-6.0 pH h20 at 50 ppm

another note

6/9 per Gallon gives estimated
432 active elements
881 @ .7tds
629 @ .5tds
1.26 EC
Botanicare coco,fine.

1/4 tsp KB/gallon,@ best.
(Keep PPMs < 1200!!)

I'd NEVER,EVER add sea salt,or any salt,including mG salt (epsom's!) Ever.
Any nutrients worth their salt (pun,intended!) already have the trace amounts of iodine that a plant requires.
No trace elements in sea salt are more soluble,or accessible,
than trace element nutrient/additives that are specifically designed and sold for plant nutrition.
(If you bought this at a hydro store,as an additive,my first thoughts would be that AN has figured a way to sell salt-water,LMAO!)
What will happen,is that those plants will be IMPOSSIBLE to
flush properly,and will burn like shit. They'll look flushed,but
trust me-When push comes to shove,you'll wish you hadn't added salt.
That's my .000000000002,let us know how it sorted out for you.
quotes from rez in blue print

Long story short - I will be giving it a go next round.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest posts