What's new

1st cab grow log, 3xLowRyder2 + 2xWhiteRussianAuto

norichips

Hi everyone :wave:

Im a newb, and im growing 3 lowryder fem and 1 white russian fem seeds in a wardrobe. Currently using 8x18w fluro tubes as well as a 90w LED panel. Unfortunately the LED kinda crapped out a couple weeks ago so now only 1/2 of the light is functioning, so i guess around 45w LED

for first 17 days grow was set up in another house with no ventilation, just using 4x18w fluro and the LED. unfortunately this lead to heat trouble and 1 day when i wasn't paying attention temps climbed to 36degrees, which burnt the plants to a nice little crisp. They seem to have recovered now and are growing again

On day 18 the plants and cab were moved and they had to sit in the dark for close to a day. When we arrived the lights were hung and things were set up as before. Took me awhile to get my act together and install the ventilation. Today day 24 i finally have everything set up; rehung lights properly, installed the power, lightproofed, installed the exhaust and intake vents. Tomorrow ill get the carbon in the filter and it will be 100% finished :jump:

Anyway here are a few pics i took, you can see the where the heat burned the LR2's pretty bad. The WR is 15 days behind the LR2. A second WR seed got put into soil today so hopefully in a few days it will spout.

Seedling

Cant see any pics... MAybe your albun is private and not puplic or maybe ist just me?
Good luck anyways.

norichips

Day 27

Day 27

Well its day 27. Things seem to be looking ok the plants have recovered from the heat stress then total darkness etc but seem to be growing again :jump:

#1 LR2 is growing lots of hairs now and starting to put out a bit of stink.

#2 LR2 is also got some hair going and seems to be getting taller.

#3 LR2 is getting taller and bigger also, was the runt but has caught up now, just got her first hairs a couple days ago.

norichips

just another quick update, for myself it looks like! :blowbubbles:

Day 32 on the LR2, and things are starting to really really smell, will be installing a carbon filter tomorrow to my vent. Plants seem to be doing ok, #1 is starting to really pack on the frost, it was the worst burnt (being the tallest) when i had the temp problems, is this why its more frosty? Because it was stressed so badly? Its also a darker green than the other 2 plants.

#2 seems like it will be the biggest, bud is starting to form now and a few trics too, but not many.

#3 is the slowest one in flowering, is around 3~4 days behind #2 it seems. Hopefully she will get a bit bigger.

im pretty sure i stunted the shit out of them but hopefully will still get some ok smoke, i don't think yeild is going to be any good tho... i gave them their first feed yesterday with tea made from aquarium filter gunk, seaweed, blood n bone, spirulina kelp and green barley flour and brown sugar (can't find molasses anywhere so far). Any ideas if they will still stretch out any more? How much bigger should i expect them to get? They are extremely compact and short, around 7 inches. I tried to LST #3 a bit but since they are so short there isn't much to work with...

White Russian 1 got pretty yellow the last couple days (looked like nit def) so i fed some Manure tea i was brewing for the LR2s, she immediately perked up and is looking greener again. WR2 has sprouted and is bending for the light! I really need to get her into a bigger pot, but im lazy :p

I also planted a couple non fem Auto AK's yesterday so waiting on them to sprout. If i get males i'll be trying to get some pollen so fingers crossed on that! I've planted them into 1L pots so they have more room than all the prev plants, hopefully this will mean they will get a bit bigger too, planning to transplanting them to 10L pots once they sex.

I'm also trying to get my busted LED fixed so itll be 90w again, currently looks like are few wires are faulty and shouldn't be toooooo hard to fix, unfortunately for me i have 2 left hands (im right handed) and am extremely bad with intricate stuff, but i think i can get my ex boyfriend who is great at intricate stuff to fix it :p we'll see in a week or 2...

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
stretching

stretching

:ying: I doubt those babies will stretch much:ying:

I have found that once the AFs start to flower they aren't getting much bigger, especially if they are just a short stick of a plant. I think sometimes the genetics of one seed or another will tend to be a small and short plant. Otherwise maybe you want to look at getting that LED fixed!

:skiiing::skiiing:

norichips

thanks for that info skullz, i guess ill give up on praying they get a bit taller lol! kinda annoying cos the fluros im using are used as side lighting, and more than 3/4 is just not being used cos the girls are so short! but yeah i can't wait for the LED to be fixed, prob wont be done till after the new year :(

another quick question, since autos are generally smaller, does it make sense to make the plants 'stretch' for light during the first week so it gets a bit taller? i've heard that you should give autos as much light in the first couple weeks as possible, would allowing it to stretch taller be bad for the plant?

i just want them a bit taller (30~40cms) to use the side lighting that i've set up, is this a really bad idea? or should i just try and grow some 'taller' autos like sour60 etc? what are some other tall auto strains?

Seedling

Hey mate.

Looks like your of to a decent start my friend, plants are looking healthy now! When it comes to the stretching i dont really agree with skullz.. But i have to say its strain dependent, some strech more then others. But in my opinion AFs that i have grown do most of their stretch after they have shown sex. Im my current grow the Jet47 and the Onyx grown heaps after showing sex and only slowed down around the day 35-40 mark or something.. Looking at your plants i think you will see more stretch for sure but that is just my opinion.

Good luck with the grow, have a good x-mas and keep them ladies happy!

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
once autos show their sex the stretch kicks in automatically and their is nothing you can do to stop this because the plants genetics take over, the size of your plants depends a lot on the system your using and the lights you have and also how helathy your plants are, im currently growing a sour 60 and due to over feeding in the early stages i may of stunted her growth a bit so even growers mistakes can have an effect

the stretch can last for upto 2 weeks before she will start to form buds and i personally keep her on the veg nutes untill i see her size slowing down before switching to flower feed

autos can triple and even quadruple in size after showing sex, ive demonstarted this in 1 of my earlier threads where 1 auto reached well over a meter tall, dont panic though as autos are not the hardest plants to grow as long as your enviroment is ok and the plants are healthy nature will do the rest, its only when you get experienced and have a good setup when you can get the biggest and best results in return for your labours

hope this helps

skullznroses

that aint nothing but 10 cent lovin
Veteran
Im no AF expert yet, so glad to keep an open mind!

I've been growing HBD, and it won't stretch much (if at all)for me, and the rule of thumb I've noticed is that the earlier it shows sex, the less it will stretch. By stretch I mean a quick increase in internodal length. The plants find a little new room for the bud, but I have yet to have a specimen really do the steroid reach. I wish they would... like norichips Im sure.

I have seen enough pics of the Onyx (which is my next try) to know that that strain really stretches, and the resulting adults are pretty big. Im hoping to get some bigger plants from this strain as I think it would be a great outdoor early season finisher in my area.

My experience with the HBD is that once it goes into flowering it is really in a different life stage. It just slows down and grows buds. Not what I think of as "stretch". I have grown plenty to have seen trad strains stretch the first few weeks of budding, but the HBD isn't behaving that way.

norichips

Hey thanks for dropping in guys, i hope everyone had a great Xmas!

I was away a couple days and came back to find #3 and #2 LR2 were showing a bit of what im pretty certain is potassium def. I watered them with a bit of seaweed and fish emulsion when i saw and kinda had a mini freak out; the crisping of the leaf edges seems to have stopped. i hear that wood ash is a good source of potassium? if the problem persists i will try and find someone with a fireplace (cant light a fire at home cos i live in an apartment :p) #1 meanwhile still looks greener than ever and although teeny weeny; is getting fatter and frostier :D

thank you for the encouraging words seedling! ive been watching a few of your past grows and i must say i enjoyed every single one. I hope i can learn even more from your grows in the future.

skotty, thanks for that info. I'm kinda bit relieved to hear you guys say they will stretch out a little more, cos i certainly hope they will grow at least a little taller before their time is up. I am sure i did stunt them with lots of mistakes early on but hopefully i will learn and avoid these issues next time around :D

hey skullz, i hear what your saying cos with the early sexing and no stretching cos that is kinda what my LR2's are doing. #1 sexed the earliest and has only grown 1cm and doesn't look like it will stretch any more. #2 was 2nd to sex and stretched a little and then started to bud (shes got a nice little top cola now XD i'm so excited) #3 sexed the latest and was also last the throw hairs; she was the smallest to begin with but now is the tallest plant.

i will remember to take some pics tomorrow and update! thanks again!

its really interesting to see the same strain grow in 3 kinda different ways, they even look a little different :) god i love watching nature!

norichips

Day 36

Day 36

Well its day 36 and things are looking up :dance013:

the LR2's are fattening up and even doing a bit of stretching like skotty said they would :jump: they're growing a bit bigger every day and things are getting stickier :D

#1 has still not stretched at all, but she sure is growing wider :smoker: she is also stinking to high heaven; im kinda scared to bump into her when tending the garden in case the neighbours smell her!

#2 is stretching taller and has doubled the distance in between nodes. She is also growing a whole lotta hairs and filling in the spaces that were created in between those nodes with said hairs :D. I hope this is a sign of better things to come!

#3 Has done the most stretching; duno if thats cos of the LST or just genetics. She has gotten very bushy lower in the plant and i cant even see the main stem down lower anymore, hopefully this means some nice buddage. Its weird she has ZERO smell. Well she kinda smells like grass but thats it... is this a weird pheno cos i've always read LR2 are stanky girls.

here is a couple group shots so you can see height and size differences between the 3 plants.

See how much shorter #1 is, i wonder what she will yeild? 2gs? she was the biggest during the first few weeks but i'm pretty sure the major heat stress put a massive dint in her growth :badday:

My aim at the beginning was to get 30g's out of the 3 plants, and hopefully a whole lotta experience to go along with it! if i get anything even close to that i'm gona be a very happy girl!

norichips

Auto White Russian

Auto White Russian

Here are the WR plants.

WR1 @ 22 days. Transplanted into a 3L bottle today and that will be her final pot. She is looking good so far.

WR2 @ 9 days. Also transplanted today, into a 1L bottle cos she was in a very small cup, i stuffed it up pretty bad and ended up loosing all the soil around the roots when i DROPPED the cup after i cut it open, i scooped her back up and gently put her in the new pot with the old soil loosely packed around her roots, then i watered it in with some maxicrop and em1.

The auto AK's i planted have also sprouted, but i will prob leave their progress out of this log, but still here is a pic of them tho @ 2 days

norichips

well, the 2nd half of the LED busted today... FAAAARRRRRRRRK! i guess you get what you pay for, i paid 90AU for this peice of crap on ebay, so i guess i shoulda expected nothing less than the worst of the worst. I guess ill chalk it up to a lesson learned.

and use the opportunity to get a bigger better light! :D

so im back on the market for another good LED unit, been snooping around different forums and trying to compare different LED's and even HID's (cos after this experience i'm not going near a ebay UFO again), and after a bunch of research so far i like the GrowLedHydro 120w unit, think it will fit my space well and provide plenty of light for my little space with minimal heat, i might even be able to take out 1 set of fluros and reduce the energy use and if the temps are low enough reduce my fan speeds (its LOUD atm).

20/4

Marijuana Enthusiast
Veteran
HTG supply has good LED units, they SWARE by their ufos, they even call out the cheap ebay makers... Their units are manufacturer by them, leds and all in USA, no Chinese cheapo... It would be better to go with the 120watt hydrogrowled if you have the money, if not a 90watt led from HTG suppy would be real nice, this is the next thing on my list... Ive seen people pull at least a gram per watt with GOOD ufo LEDs not cheap ones...

norichips

thanks 20/4, i didn't know that HTG were a good source.

i was looking at some of the HTG lights and i was put off mainly cos they were sooooo much cheaper than the other bigger name companies; so i just assumed they were just like the chinese crappo ones. The LED i have now is a 90w chinese cheapo and things didnt work out so great for me, it seemed to grow the plants good but it broke pretty fast. In less than 2 months... so i guess i didn't have the best experience with the cheaper lights, and just grouped HTG supply in with the rest

I will keep on researching for the next few days and see what i can dig up, if HTG grows good plants then its an offer very hard to refuse, the prices are just so damn cheap! 150 for a 90w that isn't dodgy? almost seems too good to be true.

norichips

Day 42 LR2

Things seem to be going ok, coming closer to the end now and i'm soooo excited :jump: All the LR2's are frosty now and even #3 is starting to frost up finally, she's also giving off a little stink, not as skunky as the other 2 but more a little citrus... weird?

Having a bad week this week, first the LED craps out then my carbon filter decides to fall off... came back after new years to a house STINKING of weed! not good, reattached and all is well again... can't wait for the ozone generator to arrive cos im very paranoid about the smell

norichips

Auto White Russians

Auto White Russians

WR1 @ 28 days

Growing new roots and growth is a bit faster, i'm going to start planting seeds into much bigger pots to begin with from now on because i think the extra room will help the plants get bigger.

WR2 @ 14 days

Seems to love being in her new home, even tho the soil has flowering nutes in it she has not shown any burn and is growing faster than before.

Latest posts

Latest posts