What's new

1k cooling problems

Ez Rider

Veteran
I didn't realize how big your hood was, 36x36 I believe. That monster is going to trap a lot of heat even if you air-cool it. Are you running an oscillating fan inside the tent? You could try a small(4") intake fan down low. This will help improve air flow. I use 2 6"maxfans for my tent(xxl). 1(set on hi) pulling through a can66 and dumping into the room. 1(set on med) pulling through a dustshroom, and dumping into the opposing side of the tent at floor level. Proper air flow can make a HUGE difference, especially in a tent.

Hugh Midity

Veteran
lol, I was trying to get the best footprint for the tent. there is an oscillating fan blowing between the canopy and glass. I happen to have a 4" fan I can put in and try and report back

Ez Rider

Veteran
lol, I was trying to get the best footprint for the tent. there is an oscillating fan blowing between the canopy and glass. I happen to have a 4" fan I can put in and try and report back

Also, try this. Can filter to hood to fan. Fan pulling through filter/hood, pushing through outlet. In the hood, have the air flow from mogul to end of bulb. If possible, put the filter directly above the hood. Maybe just connected to the end of the hood, because of space. Eliminate all unnecessary ductwork. Make sure the oscillator is pointed towards the filter.

If the rest of your house is staying close to 72F, you should be able to handle this without supplemental a/c.

farmari

When you say the temp is 84F, what are you talking about? The room air temp? The tent air temp? The canopy leaf temperatures?

Why not just exhaust back into the room?

Exhausting into the attic is generally a bad idea unless you really know what you're doing.

Hugh Midity

Veteran
lol, verts not for me bro. thing is I've been doing this for a while but never had this much trouble cooling, even the last time I ran a 1k. i'll be moving the fan after the hood today so it sucks through instead of blowing on the bulb. the 4" fan raised temps up to 87f yesterday so that's not going to help. I really appreciate the help guys

Jnugg

Veteran
Get rid of any reducers you are using too,and if you can foot the bill for it,get some oversized insulated ducting (less pressure loss).

Look out for 90° bends in the ducting as they cause 25% or greater pressure loss per 90° bend.

Hugh Midity

Veteran
that'll take me a minute but is in the plans. the fan and filter are 6" and the hood is 8". forgot to mention that I have a thermometer hanging in there at the average level of plant tops, its 84f according to it.

Jnugg

Veteran
Try and keep the sensor for the thermometer out of direct heat...you could be reading radiant heat ir what's it called.

Of course I like it when my temp probe straight reads 75°F to 78°F (even if that's radiant heat,I know my lights on temp in tent is still in the sweet spot of 70°F to 78°F).

Jhhnn

Veteran
damn, maybe I would be better off with a window unit. I can't think of a room that could stand the extra heat. I wonder if I were to duct the ac vent to the tent and dump the exhaust back into the room if it'd keep temps in line. any reason why not?

One member, hush, just conditions the air in the room, works great for him-

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?threadid=263873

It'll cost more to run the A/C unit.

Ez Rider

Veteran
that'll take me a minute but is in the plans. the fan and filter are 6" and the hood is 8". forgot to mention that I have a thermometer hanging in there at the average level of plant tops, its 84f according to it.

Changing the fan position should help. Right now, you've got pressure drop on both sides of the fan. The filter is restricting the inlet, and the hood is dropping pressure across the outlet. You want nothing but unrestricted duct on the discharge side of your fan if you want it to function properly. Also you want the hood under suction, not pressurized.

The 6" duct should be fine since it's a 6" fan. You start oversizing the duct, and you're messing with the way the thing is designed to work. I use "long radius" 90's for any bends, they eliminate most of the restriction that "shorties" 90's cause. Most any hvac warehouse should carry them.

Just for grins, when the light is on: move the thermometer to a corner. What's the temp out from underneath that big hood?. In a confined space like a tent, the oversized reflectors aren't always the best option. Heat rises, and you've got a 3x3 reflective metal box in the way, with very little space around it. I use the smaller sized adjust-a-wings(22x27) with my 1K's and my xxl is very evenly lit and the plants very consistent.

Have you ditched the attic exhaust yet? In your situation, unless you're going to connect to the return, you're better off to just dumping back into the room.

Hugh Midity

Veteran
You want nothing but unrestricted duct on the discharge side of your fan if you want it to function properly.
that's the gem I was looking for right there ez. I got the zipties & gorilla tape today and when lights come in the morning it shall be done. on the attic exhaust, once I see what the temps are with the fan moved i'll try that again. as far as a 3'x3' reflective box lol, I was pondering blowing that 4" fan upwards, maybe atop an old filter for a stand, like the vert growers do, think it'll help that way? i'll try it anyway & see. also the thermo hangs off the side of the hood, at the corner the oscillating fan is at it reads 82f, the opposite corner under the filter reads 84f. I do have a bathroom next door I might be able to dump the exhaust in soon and disguise it as a bathroom fan maybe or something.

Hugh Midity

Veteran
the fan is moved, waiting for temps to get up now, exhaust is dumping back into the room. if it gets too hot i'll route it back to the attic

Hugh Midity

Veteran
ok, so far, dumping it back into the room jacks temps up to 84f, at least that's as high as it got before I rerouted the exhaust back into the attic. run to the attic I'm now holding at 79f with the fan full speed and half speed with the door closed. as soon as I can i'll grab some more ducting and try dumping it in the bathroom next door so the central air can function properly. and thank you to everyone for the advice and especially ez for takin the time to help a brother out, you're the shit bro.

Ez Rider

Veteran
Happy to help:biggrin:

Sounds like you're on the right track. Keep the tent at 80 or less and it should be fine.

I was wondering: How feasible would it be to pull outside air from a window or crawlspace, through the hood, and into the attic? This would leave your a/c out of the equation, and you'd be able to get the most from your 6" fan. You could use the 4" to pull through the 33 to filter smell and bring fresh air into the tent. Just a thought...

Jnugg

Veteran
You could also use one fan just to cool the light/hood and the other for ventilation/scrubbing odors.

Latest posts

Latest posts