What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1970s red BUD COLOMBIAN ?

Bill.Holzmark

I was In Gainesville,Fl. In 1971 and had a Friend who’s Dad was The US AMBASSADOR to Colombia. He had free, no inspections do to his Diplomatic Immunity. So he called me and said I should stop by, this meant it was Good! A Friend of Us Both, came with me. When we got there he said, I’m gonna take a shower,go ahead and roll one, it’s under the table. So I opened the jar and this Beautiful Aroma of Hash hit me! When I pulled some out,it looked like seeds and a bit of bud, the inside of all the bud looked like Hash! at first I thought he was pulling a bait switch thing, I should have known better, He never did that! So We each got an OZ, but after We smoked a Joint, We were more Stoned then I had ever been,We both had classes that morning, but there was NO WAY! Then it would show up occasionally and was still the Best!
Even the seeds had orange/pink coloring.? Has ANYONE ever come across this Bud ? Is it Real? The Best Dispensary Bud that says 31%
and even names that lead you to believe, don’t have anything close! HELP! PLEASE! Bill 🎸☮️

goingrey

LOL

From DJ Short's "Strains of Yesteryear"

Colombian Red

Colombian Red was the near polar opposite of Colombian Gold. This lowland jungle pot (possibly from Brazil) was made up of dark red, almost black, chunky little nuggets of what appeared to be hash, stems, leaf and seed. The aroma was that of cedar and hash.

In the early 1980's, the Red cost only $30 to $60 an ounce due to its appearance, making it one of the best deals going. This pot was a narcotic, knock-you-down-and-out, super munchie, red-eye express. The joints would only burn half way before drowning in their own resin! The smoke was very expansive in the lungs with a powerful pine/hash flavor.

Before subjecting its victim to fits of gorging and deep snoozing, the experience usually included ridiculously long spasms of uncontrollable laughter. The silliest little image could induce hilarity beyond belief. This was the main herb around when the Cheech and Chong movies first came out.

The plants from the Red were among the first grown out by Americans. There were many seeds, medium-sized and dark grey, that sprouted and grew easily into a finished product that was more than adequate. The plants grew low, dark, and bushy, with uneven and somewhat scraggly branches that were easily broken from wind damage. The locally grown varieties rarely budded very much, so it is not certain when they would have finished. It would have been relatively late in November at the earliest.

RobFromTX

LOL

From DJ Short's "Strains of Yesteryear"

Colombian Red

Colombian Red was the near polar opposite of Colombian Gold. This lowland jungle pot (possibly from Brazil) was made up of dark red, almost black, chunky little nuggets of what appeared to be hash, stems, leaf and seed. The aroma was that of cedar and hash.

In the early 1980's, the Red cost only $30 to $60 an ounce due to its appearance, making it one of the best deals going. This pot was a narcotic, knock-you-down-and-out, super munchie, red-eye express. The joints would only burn half way before drowning in their own resin! The smoke was very expansive in the lungs with a powerful pine/hash flavor.

Before subjecting its victim to fits of gorging and deep snoozing, the experience usually included ridiculously long spasms of uncontrollable laughter. The silliest little image could induce hilarity beyond belief. This was the main herb around when the Cheech and Chong movies first came out.

The plants from the Red were among the first grown out by Americans. There were many seeds, medium-sized and dark grey, that sprouted and grew easily into a finished product that was more than adequate. The plants grew low, dark, and bushy, with uneven and somewhat scraggly branches that were easily broken from wind damage. The locally grown varieties rarely budded very much, so it is not certain when they would have finished. It would have been relatively late in November at the earliest.

That description reminds me of the red pheno of Aces Panama. I was amazed at how dark cherry those buds looked for a sativa. Very hashy smell and a high that seemed very indica for a sativa as well. Nevertheless a very enjoyable experience

Creeperpark

Mentor
Veteran
We don't have the same body we had when we were smoking all those back-in-the-day buds. The weed we smoked in the day was weed our bodies had no resistance to. Today we have weed resistance and that would make those days different today. For that reason, it's all in the mind and not in the weed. 😎

exoticrobotic

I certainly don't have the body/mind i had 30 years ago!

Body much more jangly now :LOL:. Mind much expanded :ying:

The setting also can have an effect on the perception of highness, familiar settings acting to negate the high, unfamiliar settings increasing perceptions of being high.

Saying that, the bud sounded lovely. I hope you find something similar again.

In the 30 years i've been smoking i can count spectacular smokes on both hands.

Welcome to the search we all find ourselves in 🎩

rolandomota

Veteran
No its in the weed I notice when something is good even though I usually smoke all day everyday it's satisfying me every time I smoke it. When weed sucks you can't get high enough no matter how much you smoke or how resinous a bud looks it just won't take you where you want to go

Weedylot

I was In Gainesville,Fl. In 1971 and had a Friend who’s Dad was The US AMBASSADOR to Colombia. He had free, no inspections do to his Diplomatic Immunity. So he called me and said I should stop by, this meant it was Good! A Friend of Us Both, came with me. When we got there he said, I’m gonna take a shower,go ahead and roll one, it’s under the table. So I opened the jar and this Beautiful Aroma of Hash hit me! When I pulled some out,it looked like seeds and a bit of bud, the inside of all the bud looked like Hash! at first I thought he was pulling a bait switch thing, I should have known better, He never did that! So We each got an OZ, but after We smoked a Joint, We were more Stoned then I had ever been,We both had classes that morning, but there was NO WAY! Then it would show up occasionally and was still the Best!
Even the seeds had orange/pink coloring.? Has ANYONE ever come across this Bud ? Is it Real? The Best Dispensary Bud that says 31%
and even names that lead you to believe, don’t have anything close! HELP! PLEASE! Bill 🎸☮️
Oh yes, I rememner the Columbians. The brown was common, the reds were occasional, , the goldish was rare here in the desert borderlands. Mexican was $10/oz, Columbians were $40.
Somewhere, someone has a jar of forgotten vintage Columbian seeds accidently but properly stored sealed , in a dark cool basement since 1973...at least I hope and dream. Maybe even some Nana down there has some viable seeds stored away. What a find that would be!
That distinctive aroma and stonieness...ahhh

romanoweed

, it's all in the mind and not in the weed. 😎
hmm, cannabis was the most hallucinogenic substance . so, it might be a bit weaker after decades of smoking. but isnt that the case for any drug..

I just dont get it why always old landraces are doubted. IF you erver tripped on 70s weed like i did, thats what i did, and i didnt on any hybrid. hybrids that made me black out from "rocker" guys.. brutal stuff..

so: yes, keep your fascination, it will be a long journey finding the same quality today. but search it, hunt for landraces colected in the 70s is my tip. not modern collectedIMHO IMHO.

Loc Dog

Hobbies include "drinkin', smokin' weed, and all k
Veteran
I just found a small plastic bottle from 1992 that was some sort of red. Doubt they are still viable. Strongest bud around at that point, in my area.

achille

Veteran
Oh yes, I rememner the Columbians. The brown was common, the reds were occasional, , the goldish was rare here in the desert borderlands. Mexican was $10/oz, Columbians were $40.
Somewhere, someone has a jar of forgotten vintage Columbian seeds accidently but properly stored sealed , in a dark cool basement since 1973...at least I hope and dream. Maybe even some Nana down there has some viable seeds stored away. What a find that would be!
That distinctive aroma and stonieness...ahhh

F2F

Grew a bagseed from some fire a cousin shared with me back in early 2000’s (?) or so. Never seen anything with a resemblance here or anywhere on the net. Beautiful red color at the petiole/leaf intersection. Delicate smaller leaves, but not haze like. Round bushy structure. Deer followed my tracks that night and munched it all down. Still wonder to this day what that plant might have become. Colombian red point?

Ahhhh…the what-if’s!!

Peace,
F2F

acespicoli

A 1933 report by the U.S. Army Medical Corps published in the publication Military Surgeon, titled Marijuana Smoking in Panama, based on a study of U.S. Army personnel in the Panama Canal Zone, found that cannabis was generally not addictive and was less harmful to soldiers than alcohol.[7][8] The report recommended that use of cannabis on military bases should continue to be prohibited, but outside of these areas there should be no further restriction.[8]

1708485552154.png

1708485663477.png

1708485757592.png

1708485737339.png