What's new

18,000 watt sealed flower room build.

grow nerd

Veteran
That statement leads me to believe that your room is not sealed and the AC is exchanging air.

Most window A/C's are designed to exchange a small amount of air with the "outside". You can open it up and seal some things to reduce this but it's difficult to get an airtight seal. Especially since most window A/C designs use one fan (usually two propeller blades though so there is some separation). Some have a "vent" switch but it is never completely air-tight.

It's not easy to get a "sealed" room really air-tight, and without taking a lot of measures you will inevitably lose some CO2 to the "outside", just a matter of how much. Some of the measures would be sealing the gaps between the sole plate and floor, proper doors, sealing all wall seams, etc. And with vented hoods, forget it if you want a chance at cleaning the glass easily.

I've built & run very sealed rooms where, running out of (bottled) CO2 during lights-on would result in a 0ppm reading in a short time (I imagine that's kinda like suffocation to plants), and >1500ppm during lights-out from the plants. That was to save on bottled CO2 on bottled CO2. With a burner, a tighter seal means potentially less A/C run time, but it isn't automatically a good thing, in case you have enough A/C but don't have enough dehumidifying power.

Also noticed that in rooms that weren't so air-tight were variably reduced to ambient-ish CO2 levels during lights-out, and wondered if that's not actually beneficial in terms of some air exchange, including oxygen for the roots. Not that I ever recall having any root issues that I was aware of.

I'm aware that plants create oxygen, but how about during lights-out? (Oxygen a by-product of photosynthesis, right?)

Last edited:

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
That is one nice growroom you have constructed Dr. Kanobie. I'll be watching as things progress. Keep up the good work.

-Funk

DrKanobie

Hey DrK if you need some input on the easiest way to set up large drip systems get at me, good job

I am planning on setting up a drip system for the next run. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

It was great getting to meet you Dr. Kanobei. Did you get some great swag from the show?

It was good meeting you as well. :tiphat: I got hooked up by the Rock Nutrients guys, Great people.

Scout Master (Girl Scout Cookie x Fruity Pebble)

Detroit Diesel

The room has one more week of veg. Everything is bushing up nicely.

medicalmj

Veteran
Set-up Looks great!

I am curious about Odor Control though. I see many small grows and a variety of odor control solutions, but not too many larger grows. I was curious if and how you tackle the odors.

I make filters and we are looking at trying to come up with something for large to commercial size growers. I always look for insight from people who are right in the thick of the particular area we are looking to help. Any insight or information would be amazing.

Keep up the great work with the grow, looks awesome!

I am in the mkt for some filters and seen yours at the local shop. I currently use an 8" big blue ozone gen because my filter couldn't handle the smell. And as time went on I am basically just relying on the ozone, as time and my RH have used up its usefulness.

My question, what RH can it handle? If it's better than others why?

GREENPEAS

Your work is awesome, DrKanobie. I'm really impressed, first of all for your architectural and builder skills... thank you for sharing, these are the kind of things I like!

I follow you with a lot of respect and my eyes open wide!

The Gator

I am in the mkt for some filters and seen yours at the local shop. I currently use an 8" big blue ozone gen because my filter couldn't handle the smell. And as time went on I am basically just relying on the ozone, as time and my RH have used up its usefulness.

My question, what RH can it handle? If it's better than others why?

Our filters are better at handling the humidity but we are not 100% sure why.

How big is your room? What is the RH in your room? Do you recirculate or exhaust? I can get some info on how we may be able to fit your needs. I can check for more details about the RH with our filters too for you.

wildgrow

, The Ghost of
Veteran
Have you addressed this Doc?

picture.php

Its hard to tell in the new pics under the hps.

medicalmj

Veteran
Our filters are better at handling the humidity but we are not 100% sure why.

How big is your room? What is the RH in your room? Do you recirculate or exhaust? I can get some info on how we may be able to fit your needs. I can check for more details about the RH with our filters too for you.
I'll send you a PM as to not hijack this thread...

sureshot66

Veteran
nice looking room man, but why are you lowering your temp and co2 for flower that seems counter intuitive..we ramp things up during flower,ec,co2, and the higher temp allows for higher humidity (vapor pressure deficit)...my experience is plants stack heavier and really bulk up in higher temps mine dont see 78 until week 7

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
For me 4x Santa Fe MaxDry's (150 ppd) weren't enough for a sealed 20-lighter. Had to throw in two extra Classic's to keep up at peak. That's on top of 7.5 tons of A/C.

damn thats a fucking ton of power to run all those de-hueys. isnt there a better option? ive been told from other people running sealed that a powerful enough AC can act as the dehuey during lights off. theres got to be a better way than cramming 5 units per 20 lighter.

grow nerd

Veteran
I like to run pretty dense canopies, but less buds/plants/foliage = less transpiration. Lower temperatures help, too. High(er) ceilings help. A good watering system and plan helps.

A big enough AC could possibly dehumidify during lights out, but that means you need to be running it resulting in a really cold dark time. IIRC, even the mini split's with "dehumidifier mode" feature should still be spitting out cold air. Most standalone dehumidifiers aren't too much more than an AC with both hot and cold sides in one packaged unit, working on temperature differentials to generate condensation on a surface. In fact I have even used a spare window unit over a bucket inside the room to serve as extra DH in a pinch during peak humidity.

Other option is to run a fresh air room. Running a sealed room properly and gaining full advantage of it is far beyond the bottle/burner. If you do it right, it can pay for itself in extra yield and complete control over the environment, thus higher quality. Can also be an expensive placebo with extra headaches if done wrong.

sureshot66

Veteran
damn thats a fucking ton of power to run all those de-hueys. isnt there a better option? ive been told from other people running sealed that a powerful enough AC can act as the dehuey during lights off. theres got to be a better way than cramming 5 units per 20 lighter.
the big humidity spike comes in the 1st half hour lights out, i vent my sealed room at night just to dump humidity..i run a phoenix 200 and an LGR for coco beds

grow nerd

Veteran
I recall once using hydroton as mulch, growing in coco grow bags.

Keep in mind both DHs and ACs are net producers of heat. Just that the AC's hot side is usually outside, so the room sees a net reduction in heat.

Yes4Prop215

Veteran
good to know grownerd...yea im gonna have to figure out to make sure i dont have that humidity spike. i like the idea of running an air dump during lights off instead of running DH, way less power. ive run the santa fe's and they do put out a ton of heat which is good for lights off i guess. and luckily they run off a 120v usually....just need to figure that out in the electrical equation.

Latest posts

Latest posts