What's new

16000 BTU Portable A/C is their such a thing as too much power?

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
I have a 12000 btu portable (2 hose model) that I have sitting in a corner just collecting dust. We bought it last year and it has only been used once and that was to test it. It cooled my whole upstairs in the middle of summer! I was impressed to say the least. I want to use this since I already have it, but heard so many bad things about them letting out smell. I have a new room to build and I am going to try it out. It is a 4 - 1000 watt HPS grow that is 20 feet by 25 feet. I am going to air cool the hoods and hopefully the 12000 btu will be able to handle the rest. Do you guys/gals think a 12000 btu unit can cool down a basement with 4 - 1000's air cooled?

TGT

REZDOG

Veteran
Dr. G said:
rez thats true only if you have the 2 hosed portable the single hose ones do exaust the cold air fromthe room
Single-hose, "self-evaporative" units have replaced the older "two hose" models.
It pulls very little room air out,not enough to have any great effect on efficiency.

TGT said:
Do you guys/gals think a 12000 btu unit can cool down a basement with 4 - 1000's air cooled?
TGT

See my previous post.
Read the whole thing.
It will take TWO 12,000btU rollers to do 4000w, air-cooled.
It takes 5000btU's of FIXED a/c per kW,6000btU of "rolling" or portable,air conditioners.
Watch your exhaust smell,too.

REZ- so since you say when using portables, 6000BTU would be efficient with the 1000w systems. Since I have a 400w hortilux, then would using a 3000BTU work? That if they even have them? I have been researching like crazy and it seems that they only offer 5000BTU at the lowest. I should also buy one with an intake and exhaust? With a controller for the thermostat?

Mischielf don't your house have ac? What kind of temps are you living in because the heat from your 400 should just dissipate into your living area.

TGT

Tom 'Green' Thumb
Veteran
My current garden has 4000 watts and it is cooled perfectly with the houses AC. I had to relocate the cold air return from the grow room itself to the next room. That is where the carbon scrubber is exhausting into. Luckily my AC vent for the room is in the dead center of the 4 - 1000 watt HPS.

The only problem relying on the home's central air unit is when you get to the beginning and end of the warm weather. It gets warm outside, but not warm enough to turn on the AC without your neibours wondering why you are the only one who finds it hot outside. Once it's hot out no one will wonder anymore as everyone has there's going non-stop. Then the same problem happens again in the fall.

Just thought I would mention that as it has been a pain in my ass for some time now. I mean, I get through it but I always stress.

TGT

REZDOG

Veteran
Mischief2JZ said:
REZ- so since you say when using portables, 6000BTU would be efficient with the 1000w systems. Since I have a 400w hortilux, then would using a 3000BTU work? That if they even have them? I have been researching like crazy and it seems that they only offer 5000BTU at the lowest. I should also buy one with an intake and exhaust? With a controller for the thermostat?

Always buy the largest roller you can get,it's more efficient that way.

Latest posts

Latest posts