What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

SourDog

sugabear_II said:
cool pics y'all

Vern - prenda used to post on the 150 club thread - his grows were very inspirational - I knew a few people who are trying the style he pioneered. If I knew Checz I'd go tell him to stop by here.

User Name those are some really nice pics the last macro is especially lovely - good job !

sourdog - I use my 150 in a 30" wide x 30" high x 15" deep cabinet - I use a dayton 134 CFM blower hooked to a professional store bought carbon can scrubber and have found the combination to be very good - my temps stay 'round 5 degrees over ambient always.

-suga

how are your average yields??

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
this circular scrog business is veeeerrrry interesting ! to my way of thinking, if you wanted to stay with a cabinet/closet grow you could still go with a 3 sided scrog, dropping the light down the middle of the cabinet and training the plant(s) along the back and the 2 sides. instead of having just 1 canopy you have 3, each getting a nice full doseage of light. am i wrong ? comments ?

G

green, I know exactly what you mean. What a great idea! In fact, why not take it one step further and have a screen below too? A 4-sided scrog! I think youve stumbled onto something wonderful...have you ever tried this before, green? Im very interested in this. :woohoo:

Lets crunch some numbers. Lets say g_mans screen is 4.5 long, 1.5 tall. By those numbers he has created 6.75 square feet of surface area. A C25 can hold screens with rough dimensions of 22 inches tall, 19 inches deep, and 27 inches wide. By these numbers, a 3-sided scrog would have a total surface area of roughly 10 feet squared! Now, if you throw in the bottom screen you have added another 3.55 square feet for a total of 13.55 square feet :yoinks: of surface area, almost all of which can be utilized, as with a horizontal scrog. Sounds like a good deal to me. :chin: This is basically doubling the surface area!

Ive got a question for you green, and everyone else. Would it be acceptable to throw all the trees in a big tub full of soilless, or would it be better to keep them in separate containers? It may take some adjusting to get the bottom screen filled properly in accordance to how the others are filling in. I think adjustment is what scrog is all about right? Im in the middle of my first scrog as we speak so I wouldnt say Im experienced.

Another question while Im at it. How far away do you think g_mans light was from the screen? Obviously, since most cabinets are oblong and not square, the light intensity amongst the 4 screens will differ according to where the light is hung. Will bulb orientation (horizontal/vertical) change this too?

green, this may not change the way everyone scrogs but Im confident that it will change the way I do it!! :woohoo: Unfortunately, I wont be able to try this method out this summer, maybe this winter will be a better time.

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
username ... i cant answer your questions because i have never grown before, but that is about to change VERY soon. almost finished building my cabinet and am ready to lay out for the lighting now. the circular (or rectangular) scrog just makes all kinds of sense to me. i would like to hear what experienced growers think of this.
by the way, username, i never whipped out the calculator but your numbers seem to make sense. in fact, you can add a bit of square footage by training the plants along the ceiling ... a box of green !

sugabear_II

Veteran
user name I believe those tubs are 21" in diameter so the screen must be a bit less than that - say 18" diameter which gives us a radius of 8-9 inches to the center where the bulb is. So most of the screen is within 8" of the bulb.

My experience with a v-scrog in my cabinet was not satisfactory to me. I found it very hard to control the growth and achieve good results.

IMHO a flat scrog is easier and yields a better quality of buds in a counter height cabinet like I have.

-suga

How about @ 60 SQ FT of flowering screen inside of a C24? Thanks, G_MAN and prenda!

I'll let you know how it goes, but here's my thread you can check out in the meantime. NOTE: Despite the drawing, my run this time includes only two tubes, elongated into almost rectangles. Total flowering area is @ 60 sqft if I time it right and fill out all the screens during the stretch. Rear door is hinged and unit is up on wheels for easy screen maintenance. Using bio-tubs ala Nimby, and have externally mounted the entire exhaust system (8 in elbow, 8 in Hurricane, reduced to 25% power, homemade exhaust muffler, all blowing into a SiS carbon scrubber) that will have a spray foam (Great Stuff!) insulated soundbox built around it. Also, finishing off the front with a narrow melamine panel to hide exhaust system from prying eyes.

This will be my first ever grow (if I can get it flowered out) start to finish, as I had to pull some awesome plants last year due to security reasons. Going through my thread, you'll definitely see how I, "Measured twice, and cut once!" The main goals in the design were to achieve maximum benefit from the Czechs' design while keeping things manageable and stealthy...I'm hopeful things will work out. Fill out the screens and yield only 10g per sqft, and it'll be a great summer. I love the thought of only needing to grow once per year; another goal for me.

https://grower.cz/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22358

Last edited:

mr.propper

wow nice thread and lots of imbressive grows under 150w..
heres couple grows under 110w hps

papaya

nirvana special

aurora-indica

and one more what happened with blue mystic..
vegged too long..

:fsu:

G

Nice cab Vern! Sorry to hear about your other grow man. I hope this one is much more complete! 60 square feet WOW! How tall are the C24s? 60 sq. ft. is gonna take some massive screens...for 2 tubes each would have to be 4 feet in perimeter (easy), and 7.5 feet high (wait a second). Am I Wrong??? They could be shorter and fatter of course, but I think 60 seems impossible for a cab. Please prove me wrong! Also, how many ladies do you plan to have on each screen? It looks like g_man has 5 for the one screen? I think more plants grown more in SOG style would fill in faster than topping and using one plant for each tube. Just some thoughts. Im simply playing devils advocate, bringing every possibility to the table, so I can learn more. I don\\\'t wanna not know anything! :sasmokin:

green, you are very smart for surfing here before your first grow. I tried once or twice before I knew ANYTHING about growing. I was clueless :pointlaug
And yes, the box thing would be cool as fuck, however it would take at least another week or two to train your tops across the top screen. Someone should do it, even if just for shits and giggles. I currently have a smaller cab that I threw about 8 or 9 clones in under a 150 just to see how they do. 2 of the pots have 2 clones in each. 3 or 4 strains, cant remember. This is my strain test to see what they yield going straight to 12/12...and also how fast they start showing. I will post some pics later no time now though.

sugabear, that bulb info sounds right on to me. What strain were you doing the v-scrog with? Seems like it would fill faster and easier with a sativa doesnt it???

mr.propper, nice cool tube man! Those are some mighty fine buds for a 110! Did the Mystic stretch on you? Im about to order that along with the Aurora, K2, and PPP. Also, how was the stank level for the Blue and the Aurora?

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
interesting chit . for my first grow i will stick with the basic scrog; i think i will have enough to worry about for now. one thing is apparent, when it comes to growing it seems that there is more than 1 way to skin a cat. i have been surfing thru 3 sites for more than 2 months now and i have learned that you basically have to gather as much info as you can and then start making your own decisions as to how you are going to manage your grow. lots of different styles out there and all of them, it seems, can give you a nifty harvest.

green_grow

Veteran
oh yeah ...for my own first grow i am thinking of using 2 x 150w hps in a 16.3 cubic foot cabinet. this way i figure i can go small with just 1 x 150w if i want or go a little bigger with 2 x 150. also, it gives me a backup bulb and ballast. anybody know of any reason NOT to go with a two light system ? i was originally planning on a 400w hps in this cabinet but have basically talked myself out of it due to heat concerns.

G

green, the 150s wont be as intense/bright as the 400, but its not as necessary with scrog since most of the canopy is at the top. Im just doing my first scrog as we speak, under a 400. I believe that the additional brightness of the 400 will allow me get away with more vegging through the screen. I\'m switching the timer to 12/12 tonight, and most of my canopy rests about 4-6\" above the screen. If you\'re interested I may start a thread in the indoor forum. It should be interesting as I have about 8 plants stuffed through the screen. 3 of which are bushes, the remaining 5 will be trimmed and grown SOG style through the screen. I will get some pics up later tonight hopefully.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Yes, two 150's will grow larger tighter buds in the same given area or cover a greater area if desired. And, the 400 is even that much brighter. However, they really aren't in allignment with the intent of this thread or the 150w HPS Club. Our initial charter on OG and what we are trying to continue here is to assist experienced and new growers that choose to stick with a 150 as their main light and grow for personal use. With a bit of careful planning, the 150 can produce more that enough bud for even a serious smoker. Add this to the low start-up and running costs and the minimal heat generation and you have an ideal choice for many medical and recreational users.

While I don't want to discourage anyone from posting here, I did want to state our intent as it existed for any new members.

Best wishes to all for a Sweet Passover amd a Happy Easter

Pipedream

green_grow said:
oh yeah ...for my own first grow i am thinking of using 2 x 150w hps in a 16.3 cubic foot cabinet. this way i figure i can go small with just 1 x 150w if i want or go a little bigger with 2 x 150. also, it gives me a backup bulb and ballast. anybody know of any reason NOT to go with a two light system ?...

Yeah, green_grow, you can use multiple 150s, as long as you can have an exhaust system that can handle it. With just two of the four 150s I have in my cabinet on, the temp of the cab exceeds 100 deg within @ 15 minutes of turning the 8 inch Hurricane (with a speed reducer set at 25%) off (no chance for using CO2 to help the vege for me.) :(

I love the flexibility of multiple lights as well, because in my current design, I only need the bottom two lights on until almost time for the 12/12 switch, so steady even power use throughout the grow.

User Name, here's what you were looking for:

Last edited:

green_grow

Veteran
i hear ya pipedream . will try to keep the non-150 stuff in other threads. i think i may be a 150-type person myself . i like the idea of small and economical AND productive !

G

Vern, exactly what I was looking for dude! I just couldnt make it work in my head, and Im sorry I ever doubted you. Im guessing now that the C24 is a single chamber? Im doing a C25 with mothers/clones up top and DWC below. Ill upload those pics in a little bit here... :joint: ahh yes, nice scrog pics too, just what the doctor ordered! Also a good point on the even light usage, sounds like youve thought it out well! Looks like youll be getting some monster yields! Are you going to be using more than one plant in each screen to speed things up? What strain(s), if any, do you have lined up? Ive only got bagseed for now, but one strain recently aquired by clone seems to be much more vigorous and healthy than any of the others.

Pipedream, Im sorry I dont know any better! :bat: Im new to posting so I had to slip up somehow. Ill keep my mouth shut about my 400, but can I still kick it with you guys? I have a C25 and another cab each running a single 150 and I would love to share my experiences with those if I could. I cant say that the 150 is my main light, but it got me started and I will never lose sight of their usefulness. A year ago I didnt think a 150 would pack on many buds, but needless to say... :woohoo: I ended up O.K.

ickster, thats cool man, its like a carousel of shiny bright things for your babies. Funny they have those for human babies too........coincidence?? Have you ever tried hanging 2 of those 150s on opposite sides to get the lower buds?

Last edited:
G

Heres a sneak peek of my C25. 150w HPS, (2) 10-gallon DWC tubs down low, 69w CFL up top. This pic was taken on the 4th.

Heres a smaller cab, 150w HPS.

So my posts will be more like this from now on, are we cool? :dueling:

Latest posts

Latest posts