What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

J23

first grow: Nirvana NL SCRoG COCO H3ad nutes formula

first grow: Nirvana NL SCRoG COCO H3ad nutes formula

It's been 9 weeks now. Here She is:

6th day into flowering. I'm pruning all new grow under the canopy but still not sure how to deal with everything else. Suggestions, please?

...and one more thing: it started to smell a couple of days ago so I turned on my scrubber...

StupidBoy

still not sure how to deal with everything else. Suggestions, please?
Not sure what you mean by "everything else". Everything looks pretty good to me. Just keep spreading her out & trimming out the swag as best you can over the next couple of weeks and let her go to work for ya :ying: Hope that helps. :tiphat:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
It's been 9 weeks now. Here She is:

6th day into flowering. I'm pruning all new grow under the canopy but still not sure how to deal with everything else. Suggestions, please?

...and one more thing: it started to smell a couple of days ago so I turned on my scrubber...

Yeah, that looks like it's wanting to go over/under. I agree with SB. Train what cooperates and work with anything else the best you can. Try not to cull too much at once. If possible, growth tips are best cut and recovered before bud set. A compromise of both might be as good or better than meeting a single aspect. You'll be taking fans for weeks. Nice job.

420tyme

all i have is this little cab that im rigging up ,

but i have a 150w in their , im hoping for great success afterwards

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Looks like you've got what it takes, 420tyme. Any chance you can turn the light 90 degrees? (front-to-back) You'd get better light distribution. If not, biggie.

That's a nice remote ballast. Is it htg?

What type/size fan do you plan to use?

420tyme

Looks like you've got what it takes, 420tyme. Any chance you can turn the light 90 degrees? (front-to-back) You'd get better light distribution. If not, biggie.

yea it would be no problem to turn it .

i was actually thinking about taking the reflector off and making it vertical ,

but in your honest opinion , do you think i would benefit from doing that or should i just leave it in the reflector ?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
IMO, square footprints lend to vertical better than rectangular. I wouldn't try to discourage you either way. As long as you can get pots or canopy all the way around the bulb, I think vertical is better. If it makes for a tight fit, you might enjoy the ease of horizontal. QPs aren't out of the possibility with the right strains. Dialed in, a vert setup could get you 5 ounces. Horizontal, 4 or better. I'm just throwing out crap but a known, dialed in setup with good training will get you a good haul either way.

I notice the hood has a duct collar. If there are enough vents in the hood to satisfy the throughput of the 4" collar, you could air cool the hood effectively. If the aluminum reflector inside the hood blocks air flow, you may get cooler cab temps with a pc fan blowing on the bulb and non-ducted hood.

IMO, a pc fan blowing on the bare bulb would be coolest. Vertical is obviously bare bulb. You could also take the reflector out of the hood and lay it over a horizontal bulb setup. Would run much cooler.

I know the hood has it's benefits too. I don't want to talk you into ditching it, especially if it was pricey. You've got a great start and I'm sure you'll have a great cab.

J23

StupidBoy, Disco:
Thanx guys. My concern was that too-bushy plant may not distribute nutrients to budsites as efficiently as less branchy (better managed) plants. I'm not sure if I explained myself clearly but your opinion gave me confidence. I guess I'm just being too-paranoid newbie.

Other than that, I must say that all of you guys are doing great job here. I bet that my concerns were already addressed here before but you just take the time to teach me/us over and over again! I've posted a couple of times in different sections of this forum and my questions remained unanswered. I think I was just ignored, like impatient newbie who failed to do his homework and instead of spending some time on studying on the subject decided to take shortcuts. That's not the case, though. Guys, you all know that it takes a lot of time to get that feel of confidence that you just know what you're doing. You read thru tens/hundreds of sites and sometimes you'll overlook important info or it will just slip your mind. Geez, I got carried away...

Anyway, again: your wisdom is much appreciated!

150 WATTERS ROCK!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
The conversation is part of the fun. Some of us may live within doob distance of each other and don't know it, lol. At least this way we keep in touch.

I don't think you'll have problems with nute absorption. Your plant doesn't appear to show visible deficiencies. You could have root problems with too small a container but trimming a bit should counter some of that stress. Might generate a little above-ground stress...

Some strains won't lose a minute and others appear to take days to recover after moderate culls. IMO, yours appears to be indica or indica dominant. Most indicas I've tried are hearty growers.

Light trimming probably won't hurt a thing. Moderate trimming might be best done over more than one occasion, maybe a few days apart since you're approaching bud set. How much you take is up to you.

The big thing is light penetration and air circulation. If buds have room between each other, they tend to fatten more. Strain dependent. You can probably cull all primary fans, this will encourage secondary fan growth and may eventually have to go as well.

The bud fans (they don't grow a stem off the bud) usually grow out long enough to help buds stand apart from each other. If you see any too close, pull em apart if possible. Stick a Popsicle stick etc between em if needed.

Your management is just fine. We all have a bit of mystery growing a new strain the first time. Knowing what it's going to do is always a guess at first. Next grow, you might consider trimming in veg and allowing recovery before flower. That strain will be a monster.

Your plant is so dense it probably makes for easier training to allow the colas to grow natural if giving you trouble otherwise . Turned flat, each bud grows a vertical stem and competes for space. Sometimes this makes for bigger individual buds. But indicas are short and have thousands of years of evolution. Allowed to stack naturally they produce w/o larfy results. So long as the colas aren't against each other. If you've got two or even three tops competing for the same space, one in it's place might produce more. The quality will be much better. Sometimes you don't have to cull if you can just get em apart from each other w/o crowding others.

Once you have a substantial root ball, your plants will always throw bud. If you get the timing right, strains like yours can be culled 50%, allowed to recover, thrown into flower and produce the same amount of bud as the untrimmed sister. Varied aspects may see varied results but the root volume is key. Second being potential stress from trimming inside of flower.

I don't think you have anything to worry about with that strain. Take off what you want and there's still lots of plant matter left to recover from stress. Prolly won't miss a lick.

Great job. I know what you mean about the questions. When I first started, I had questions that were never answered, lol. To be honest, I actually know little more than when I started. What I've mostly learned is what doesn't work. I guess that's better than nothing.

juicemaing

Hey 150w club i just wanted to come by and say thanks so much for all the great information and showing me i could produce good yields with a 150, im on my second grow and very happy with it. 150w hps is the way to go. Thanks guys...oh ill show a pic from my first grow...-Juicemaing :ying: Can i join the club? :)

420tyme

yes its htg , i got it for about $70

i plan on using 2 pc fans one for exhaust and the other for intake .

its not a big cab at all

18" deep

22 1/2 wide

13" to light

thats way i was thinking vertical .

thinkin

150 vert

150 vert

420tyme - If you can fit a vertical, go vert. Otherwise, go horizontal scrog.
Horizontal yields can beat vert yields if space/heat is an issue.

Latest actions:
Light Bulb moved to max height.
(nothing like rebuilding a cool tube mid flower)

Summary:
Late Mid Flower (I dont count weeks.) SKs are rocking! The Rezd is FULL of buds. Still have concerns not enough direct HID light on the Rezd but not many options left.

Ques: Will buds develop properly if only part of the plant is drenched in HID light? (Will energy transfer within the plant for bud development?)

Still happy bottom line: no wasted light

Top of Rezdog budding more horizontally than vertically
SK budding vertically

Looking into cab
Side projects:
Using LEDs as supplemental light and 42 watt cfl grow both going well. Never using Neem oil again. Going forward trying the milk/water mix.

420tyme

420tyme - If you can fit a vertical, go vert. Otherwise, go horizontal scrog.
Horizontal yields can beat vert yields if space/heat is an issue.

yes , the space/heat is an issue , im gonna put some pc fans in their though

and im gonna do scrog/lst , regardless of vert or horizontal

i just heard that it was better to do vert if capable .

iv never tried a vert before ,

but i just want to do what is gonna give me better results

ketalargold

That does look like a nice little deal there.
So, it is about 17" cube, and has 5 spots. If it were me, I would run that puppy under a screen with 4-5 plants. With multiple plants you fill up the screen pretty fast and still get some good veg time in.
If you run plants with a light overhead sog style, the system is a bit small and they will be very close together. The best bet in the situation I think would be to flower all 5 out real early each run. Like from seed to 1-2 wks.
With plants so close together, you would need to train them and pull them outward and away from each other to get good light penetration. But that is a small step for a stepper.

Do some thinking, and figure out what you want to do, and we can help you.
Not knowing what your box or space is it's hard to give many recommendations.
But, yes you could do all the above with either a 150 or a 400...you just may need to adjust things accordingly.

Thank you man I'm new in aero-gardening.I have 6 seeds in water + h2o2 since 24 hrs,i'm going to put 'em into rockwool cubes,but I didn't know I had to make them a bath in a ph regulated water...I need some help:Now I have to put the seeds in the wet cubes,with a regulated ph,then put it under a CFL?Is it okay?
Then put them in the aeromachine when the roots come out?
2nd issue,how much water in the tank??SDo I have to rise the water level accordingly to the roots dimensions?
anyway,I've choosen AF "auto maxi" by Grass o m4tic,critical mass x ak47.
Big plants,good yelders (I hope!)
My setup is as follow:

Room:200x250x100cm (I can adjust the space I need with some wood panels or something like thath...)
Light:400W with cooltube
Odour control:carbon filter + TT 100 elicoidal fan 147/185 m3/h
Air intake:2x 12mm PC fan
Nutes:GHE Bio bloom + bio roots;advanced Hydroponics of Holland Grow + Bloom + Micro + Advanced Natural Power Growth-Bloom Excellerator;PK booster Atami Bloombastic;

Thanks for your suggestions...

good growing!:wave: and :thank you:

Baba Ku

Veteran
An aero grow is not something that I have ever tried. You may be able to do a search in for aeroponic grows and see what you find. You may need to talk to a person who has your specific machine to get good info. I don't think you will need lots of vegetative time to fill the aero that you have up.

The plants you pick to grow will be fine. If you like them great, if not try others.

I would be very careful about feeding to early or too heavy. It is real easy to get a bit overzealous with the nutrients. I have found that usually a simple nutrient strategy works out much better than using several items.

Air flow is of the utmost importance, and you need to make sure you are supplying the system with sufficient air.
I am not sure what the diameter of the exhaust fan is, but you need to have about double that in intake hole. (4" exhaust hole and fan= 2x 4" intake holes)
The PC fans are not helping your intake air situation at all, in fact they actually hinder the free air flow, even though it may not seem that way.
They can be hung inside the grow to make turbulence around the plant canopy and serve you much better than being in the intake holes.

ketalargold

So,the exhaust fan is ok(100mm),but without a fan at the intake the smell will come out..do you think the exhaust fan will make a negative pression in the room making the job?and do you think is good to make a scrog with an automatic plant?thanks for help and sorry for this OT

ketalargold

Air flow is of the utmost importance, and you need to make sure you are supplying the system with sufficient air.
I am not sure what the diameter of the exhaust fan is, but you need to have about double that in intake hole. (4" exhaust hole and fan= 2x 4" intake holes)
The PC fans are not helping your intake air situation at all, in fact they actually hinder the free air flow, even though it may not seem that way.
They can be hung inside the grow to make turbulence around the plant canopy and serve you much better than being in the intake holes.

So,the exhaust fan is ok(100mm),but without a fan at the intake the smell will come out..do you think the exhaust fan will make a negative pression in the room making the job?and do you think is good to make a scrog with an automatic plant?thanks for help and sorry for this OT