What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Excellent post hd.

I keep thinking about this 205 watt led in my closet, thinking it may not be what the big grower needs, but sure may be what some small cab and box growers need. This light needs no venting, it does not get hot, and as can be seen in my thread ain't doing to shabby for yield. And this is just my first run, next time I'm planning on a lot more from it. thinking a sog might do it justice.
Anyway, since it doesn't put out much warmth, you can feel a little warmth when you hold the back of your hand close and that's mostly from the IR not the leds. So I think if you had this in a cab with no other heat source(mine's got a 400 nearby, so i still have to vent) then you could put a fan and carbon scrubber at the top by or above the light and have it blowing down so you could bring warmth from the top down to the plants, that you would not need any outside venting. Of course you need fresh air for the co2 and could just blow right into the room it's in and back in through a passive intake. But you would not need or want any extra cooling such as a nearby window ac, and you'd have no hot exhaust blowing into your room.
Just a thought for you small cab guys. 'Course these things ain't cheap, but you might realize enough savings from other things to make it worth it. The jury's still out on leds and the numbers from my grow aren't in yet, but my led buds are denser though a bit smaller and I can tell by looking/estimating the weight they're going to do pretty good.

I guess my point is about the dynamics of venting and cooling are turned on their heads can get real easy with these lights in the right circumstance. There is no heat. My only experience is with the 205 watt HydroGrowLED from LEDgirl, so I am leery of any others because of so much bs about them.

Hazy, thanks for the info. My cab is big enough to hang the lamp but what's minimum distance from the canopy? In my case, raising the lamp wouldn't increase coverage due to footprint restrictions. The lamp may end up no farther than 3" from the canopy at harvest. Is this too cramped to be effective?

KronicPalau

:wave: Dropping by to show pics of my next run.
Also just started a vertical scrog. Wish me luck.

100_1615.jpg

100_1541.jpg

100_1551.jpg

100_1630.jpg
This is the vert tester to see if she likes it.lol!! I plan to do this with four girls. Four walls of green."Who knows i might make it five or six" :yummy:

Last edited:

KronicPalau

Oh! I almost forgot to show my last grow.LOL!! Three girls. I don't know what strain they are but they smelt and tasted good.Not to mention they got me to cloud 99.LOL!!

These are the girls a week or two before the chop.
100_1132.jpg

This is from the one in the white pot
100_1174.jpg
This is stuff from the red pot
100_1170.jpg
This is stuff from the green pot
100_1156.jpg
Sorry for the blurry pic.

G

grumblez

Hazy, thanks for the info. My cab is big enough to hang the lamp but what's minimum distance from the canopy? In my case, raising the lamp wouldn't increase coverage due to footprint restrictions. The lamp may end up no farther than 3" from the canopy at harvest. Is this too cramped to be effective?

Yo Disco, the closer to the plant the better with LED. 3" to me would be optimal.

You want the LED light within a foot or so from the plant...not more than two feet, for sure.

Buuudy

Hey guys I got a quick question for you. I have a 400w hps, but need to lower the heat a little and the electricity.

I am debating between a 150w hps or 2 55w pll's. Its in a cabinet just over 2 feet wide and just over 1 foot deep. Thanks.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Hey guys I got a quick question for you. I have a 400w hps, but need to lower the heat a little and the electricity.

I am debating between a 150w hps or 2 55w pll's. Its in a cabinet just over 2 feet wide and just over 1 foot deep. Thanks.

As you've already found out, 400w is way too much for such a small space. The PLLs will run cooler than a 150w HPS, but they won't penetrate as much. The HPS system will likely be cheaper to purchase and it will yield higher. I personally would go with the PLL lamps because you only have 1 foot of depth. A 150w will cover that area no problem, but it'll create more heat. Whats your ventilation setup like and what are your average room temperatures?

mtlseven

hi guys

hi guys

ok well ive been looking in this thread for a few weeks now lol im on page 98

very nice setups alot of info sorry but i realy love pipedream cab its the first one that got me drooling :)

ive been trying for 1 year almost now to make cab but im always getting pulled away from it

started in my closet with 400 hps then i grew in a 20 little paint bucket with 42 watt cfl

now i got a 2'x4'x 4' high cab my plants are vegging but they are ready to hit 12/12 i have to finish cab so looking for help on finishing it.

my last crop 400 hps 1 plant
100_0005.jpg

this is my cab now

lower left toilet floor fan 60 cfm intake air
top righ 60cfm toilet fan air out 60 cfm with DIY scrubber

right now im vegging with (4) overdriver t8 6500k and (2) 40 watt t12 gro-lux

i finished my 2 150 watts hps ballast wirering yesterday

100_0112.jpg

100_0113.jpg

100_0116.jpg

100_0115.jpg

my plants are exotic no bag seeds but i lost track of what i am growing oops i know the buttom right big leaf is orange bud 1 month old the other id say white whidow or skunk they smell like skunk even when there vegging oh ya i got the visit of spider mites little fuckers

so here's my new plans

my cab is 2x4x4

ill be running (2) 150 watts hps in a cool tube and on both sides ill use my (2) t8 fixtures (overdriven) 6500k = total (4)
t8 tubes

ill take my 2 toilettes fans out and replace it with a 200 cff quiet broan toilette the air thats going to be sucked out is going to pass in my cool tube and exit with carbon filter and ill put holes on the floor for air to come in

right now my cab is in my bedroom and noise is pretty much none.

im i going in the right direction?

its confusing for me because i work for a demolition compagny and i have to much shit to work with. i also have a 6" turbine fan 400 cfm but its to noisy

shit hope you guys can read lol i did not smoke to write this thank god

when my 400 watt was in the cab the heat was to much plus i found that the light was not even so i tought (2) 150 watts on both end would have a better light spread and 2 t8 on each side would help or maybe put them in the corners insteed

any help is welcome

Buuudy

As you've already found out, 400w is way too much for such a small space. The PLLs will run cooler than a 150w HPS, but they won't penetrate as much. The HPS system will likely be cheaper to purchase and it will yield higher. I personally would go with the PLL lamps because you only have 1 foot of depth. A 150w will cover that area no problem, but it'll create more heat. Whats your ventilation setup like and what are your average room temperatures?
It is probably about 1.5ft deep. I made a cool tube, so temps were not too bad. It would get to about 82-83 sometimes. But not too often.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
It is probably about 1.5ft deep. I made a cool tube, so temps were not too bad. It would get to about 82-83 sometimes. But not too often.

My space is like 16''x18'' so close to the same. I only have 28.5inches vertically so I'm experimenting with using my bulb vertically. Cool tubes do diminish light, but when they are needed, they're needed. It gets 82-83F in the room your cab is in or inside the cab? If it is that warm outside or even in the cab it will be too hot right next to the bulb. Keeping the temps around 75F inside the cab (about 68F outside) and 100CFM of air blowing up inside my cab lets my plants get within an inch of 150w with no cool tube before turning crispy. From personal experience I'll tell ya that even one temperature spike can cause some major damage to your crop. I once let my soil dry out too much and the temperatures got too high and the buds dried up and they smoked very harsh. And then, and then.. lol

to rambro,

HD said ti best, any high output light is gonna throw off heat. spending 180 is too much when you can achieve the same for 80 shipped, sun system 150. 2nd, closet grows must be done very very properly if clothes are there. that just is fuel for the fire man, & a general no no. but, if proper precaution is taken, i guess you could get away with it. as far stealth goes, it will be pretty damn hard to ventilate that box properly w/ any light u put inside it. if you plan on filters, then your stealth task is even more unattainable. that being said, figure out the best way to keep temps in optimal auto ak levels in your box while the closet door's closed. if the doors closed & the temps stay around 5-7 above ambient, you have achieved success. if you can keep it below 5 degrees over ambient your HD level....its all about air flow, cfm's, & not wasting fans that create turbulence instead of moving air where it should be moved....

S

staff11

Another good tip when you re rewiring a ballast for a security light is I use an old PC power supply case, removed the guts and fan and put the ballast in. I put the 4" fan back on top of the power supply case and it keeps it very cool. Of course I just had an old one laying around so that helped.

AcroPhobic

:laughing: Grumblez .. whats even funnier is I just picked up the same design PC for free, except mines blue. That price is crazy, I can copy that for under $20 and an hour of my time. :laughing:

picture.php

picture.php

G

grumblez

Yeah the price is high...but I tell you...what a great Idea...I am ready to switch out my bedside table for a mother box....

and oh yeah..is there a PC case conspiracy? Mine came with a 420W power supply (thus sealing the deal!)

Check out my box...just snapped a pic...eheh...got the side panel all tricked out with UV...too bad it is day time...

you like blue I like green....

AcroPhobic

haha .. mine came with 420watt power supply and 4 fans, 2 with blue led's. And side panel has blue uv tube also. Looks nice in dark all lit up.

Rambro

You need to invest time into planning first. a 150 gets hot with no ventilation, your closet and room will STINK of weed in 12/12 without exhaust into carbon scrubber or ventilation for that matter.

Re-read our advise to you, seriously if you want to make this work, do it right the first time or your just setting yourself up for failure. By all means buy that light if YOU want. Your gonna need ducting and a inline fan to exhaust the HEAT from the BULB in the COOLTUBE through the CARBON SCRUBBER. READ and UNDERSTAND hoosierdaddys air-flow link in his sig!
i would have to get an inline fan and also a carbon filter to use that light? i know i need ventilation and stuff but id like the keep everything inside the cab (except the ballast) and i dont know how i could set up this box with and inline fan and duct, stil have space to grow, and not have the outside of the box noticeable "fucked with"

heat wont be an issue... 265cfm fan. Original plan was for a 250HPS; now we're going 2 150w's with the room cut in half, one for a scrog and one for sog... lawl. Been building this stupid room for 5 months now... i think im finally decided on everything...
Whats up man?did you ever get this going?:)

AcroPhobic

i would have to get an inline fan and also a carbon filter to use that light? i know i need ventilation and stuff but id like the keep everything inside the cab (except the ballast) and i dont know how i could set up this box with and inline fan and duct, stil have space to grow, and not have the outside of the box noticeable "fucked with"
No, you don't HAVE to get them. But do you think a "cooltube" by itself sitting there will help that much without ANY exhaust to exhaust the HEAT from the BULB inside the cooltube. Wheres the bulb heat gonna go?

Carbon filter? ---> If you want your "couch potato" dad to find your garden in flowering when its gonna stink like a roadkill skunk be my guest, I'm sure he'd get the munchies and zone out on more TV!

All you need is a decent pc fan to exhaust the cooltube, basic intake and exhaust is your friend, its the difference between healthy lush plants versus dry, burnt, crispy sick plants. You can make your own carbon filter cheaply, all you gotta do is use that "search" button.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
all you gotta do is use that "search" button
That and have a want...and if one has a want, there is a wealth of information here. Each and every question you could possibly imagine has been asked and answered multiple times.
And there is also a treasure trove of pictures and sketches that cover each and every aspect of the grow from small to large and all in between.

Comes a point when the term "spoon feeding" comes into play.
Spoon feeding is weak kung fu.