What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

i still dont know why vertical circular growing isnt more pop with u 150 guys, way more square foot coverage with the same light.

whats the record yeild so far for this forum? im still waiting for someone to pull over a gram a watt with one of theese fine lights.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Castelvetro, your right. Vertical is more and more popular. Maybe some of the conventional grows you're seeing were fabricated prior to the not so recent wave of vertical growers. I built my cab in early 2008 and there were a handful of v growers then. At the time I was aiming at SCROG and had a rectangular footprint to work with. If I'd started with a square fp, things might be different.

There's some peep from the Czech Republic or other eastern European country that rocked ~155 grams with a vSCROG. I think it was around 2005. He used two keg tubs and a chicken wire screen rolled into a cylinder. I've read lots of posts here with growers busting over 1 gpw. Must be nice.

I've yet to flower my first SCROG but have flipped ~.8 gpw with SOG and LST grows. I have a SCROG in veg at the moment and am curious whether I'll do any better.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Santa brought me a camera, but it ran out of batteries early in my photo op. I'll have to stock up on them and make myself a new thread so I hope no one minds me unloading these here :]

I'm halfway through week 5 from the flip and things could be better. Spotted a handful or two of seeds being formed and I have some sort of deficiency. No nanners. When I shake some of my liquid nutes bottles I hear rattling of clumped of stuff and I read somewhere that means they have expired. Can anyone verify this? I'm using water fresh from the tap and I always pH around 6.4-6.6, but I have no idea of PPM. I don't think I gave enough Nitrogen in week two of flower, but I was seeing this to a lesser extent last run as well and I didn't fuck it up then.

Here we are about a hour from lights and the plants have gone 3.5 days since last watering.

picture.php

Princess Diesel x AK47

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Princess Diesel x C99

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Here is my ghetto tri-stand for my fan.

picture.php

Too close? Fire risk? When the fan is running the blow up so they aren't as close, but that is less than the width of a bic lighter away. Fan is running @ 100cfm

picture.php

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Santa brought me a camera, but it ran out of batteries early in my photo op. I'll have to stock up on them and make myself a new thread so I hope no one minds me unloading these here :]

If you use conventional batteries, do yourself a financial favor. Get a battery recharger and rechargeable lithium batteries. You need enough to run the cam while another set is charging. Charging batteries is a pain in the ass but much cheaper than the alternative.

I'm halfway through week 5 from the flip and things could be better. Spotted a handful or two of seeds being formed and I have some sort of deficiency. No nanners.
The deficiency might not be a problem. In fact, it might be natural fade if it's an eight week strain.

When I shake some of my liquid nutes bottles I hear rattling of clumped of stuff and I read somewhere that means they have expired. Can anyone verify this?
As long as you're able to shake the solution enough to dissolve the solids, you should be ok. The problem might occur if you used the liquid with the unmixed sediment in the bottom. If it's a balanced mix of liquid and powder nutes, you don't want the ratio altered by less than fully mixed usage.

In the event you're using something like GH Flora, that's not liquid and powder it's salt's in solution that can still be used even if it crystallizes. I think the bottle says in the event of crystallization, dissovle in warm water and apply at 2x dose. I don't assume your situation is this advanced so use caution if you up the strength.

Too close? Fire risk? When the fan is running the blow up so they aren't as close, but that is less than the width of a bic lighter away. Fan is running @ 100cfm

picture.php
I don't think you have to worry about fire unless a plant fell over on the bulb, if that's even possible. Just keep an eye on it. Tips burned no more than that probably won't make a difference in your grow. You've got some pretty decent buds for those small cups and some of em look dense. That fan blowing up from the bottom and on the bulb is a good idea. 100 cfm is a lot of air, should really help with the heat. My circ fan is probably half that and I could use a little more flow.

Keep up the good work. Looks like some frosty goodness.:santa1:

qdavid

cat: I'm really impressed by, what looks to me, like you have one plant per 16 oz. beer cup. I use 3 gal. pots of soil, transplanting the girls to 5 gal. to flower. Those pots themselves take up a fair amount of room in the cab. Must be fairly labor intensive though adding water to those cups every few days. You said you hadn't watered in 3.5 days? Does that mean you haven't added anything to those cups in 3.5 day? Impressive.

Last edited:

KolorBlind

I agree, very impressive for 16oz cups. I just transplanted 9 of my 14 Apollo11's from 16oz cups to 6" pots. I didnt have enough pots to transplant all of them, and now Im thinking of keeping one or 2 in the cups to see how they do lol.

I grew some Diesel Ryders in 16oz cups once. 2 females and a male. The male got HUGE before I chopped him and the females were so rootbound they got no bigger after transplanting to a 1gal pot a few weeks before harvest. Still got approx 7g of bud and 200+ seeds off each haha!

Yours look so frosty and plump for little cup plants, makes me wanna roll a fat one....so I think I will! Cheers! :eggnog:

Oh and +rep :)
KB

qdavid

From the looks of it, my cab dimensions are about the same as his. I think I yield much more per plant, but maybe I could fit more plants in if I were able to use those cups. I'm pretty happy with quality. But I've heard it said, and I don't think it's necessarily true, that hydro grown can be of better quality. I really don't think much quality can be gained from the one-hit-shit I get now though.

150wPimpin

cat: I'm really impressed by, what looks to me, like you have one plant per 16 oz. beer cup. I use 3 gal. pots of soil, transplanting the girls to 5 gal. to flower. Those pots themselves take up a fair amount of room in the cab. Must be fairly labor intensive though adding water to those cups every few days. You said you hadn't watered in 3.5 days? Does that mean you haven't added anything to those cups in 3.5 day? Impressive.

yeah I'm sure watering 16 plants with 3 liters of water every 3 days is just back breaking lol

I'm not being mean but come on man do you really think its so much work ?

I bet transplanting your plants alone is more work than one watering session .02

qdavid

yeah I'm sure watering 16 plants with 3 liters of water every 3 days is just back breaking lol
Actually, it kinda would be. I'm disabled because of back problems and have to plan every friggin' move. Please insert another quarter and play again. Thanks.

150wPimpin

Actually, it kinda would be. I'm disabled because of back problems and have to plan every friggin' move. Please insert another quarter and play again. Thanks.

well maybe this method is not for you? Sorry didn't see in your sig or post that you were disabled.
I think it's unfair for you to pull that card on me don't you? Like I am suposed to just know who has back problems
and who doesnt. But sorry if I offended you in any way really I was a little sarcastic but I dint think it was a game.

Last edited:

catman

Veteran
Must be fairly labor intensive though adding water to those cups every few days. You said you hadn't watered in 3.5 days? Does that mean you haven't added anything to those cups in 3.5 day? Impressive.

Initially I thought it would be would be more work, but it turns out I can water these cups just as fast if not faster than my cut down 2L. The difference is that I don't have to spend all that time waiting for the run off from the 2L. I fill up an old kitty litter container that holds about 3 gallons and I just dunk every plant and then water like normal when the water level gets too low.

I don't normally have an extra cup below the cup with the holes in them. I was taking an extra precaution for a xmas vacation and not all of those plants where bone dry. I added no more than an inch of water to the bottom set of cups before I left. The AK47 cross was the only one that used up all her water and I'm letting the rest go at least another light cycle. I have another strain that I didn't get any pictures of. Typically I do water them every 3 days which was the same thing I was doing with my 2L when they get their drink at the beginning of flower.

I agree, very impressive for 16oz cups. I just transplanted 9 of my 14 Apollo11's from 16oz cups to 6" pots. I didnt have enough pots to transplant all of them, and now Im thinking of keeping one or 2 in the cups to see how they do lol.

I grew some Diesel Ryders in 16oz cups once. 2 females and a male. The male got HUGE before I chopped him and the females were so rootbound they got no bigger after transplanting to a 1gal pot a few weeks before harvest. Still got approx 7g of bud and 200+ seeds off each haha!
KB

Give it a shot. I think the potential to grow in these cups is defiantly strain dependent. My previous round I tried 4 Northern Lights plants in the cups just for the hell of it and after 12 some weeks in flower they looked no more root bound than those pics I posted from the AK47 cross. Hell, they got to be about 36 inches and I had to bend them over to keep in my cab.

picture.php

Then again look at what this Sour Bubble seedling which isn't mine accomplished. Stands only 2 inches tall.

picture.php

From the looks of it, my cab dimensions are about the same as his. I think I yield much more per plant, but maybe I could fit more plants in if I were able to use those cups. I'm pretty happy with quality. But I've heard it said, and I don't think it's necessarily true, that hydro grown can be of better quality. I really don't think much quality can be gained from the one-hit-shit I get now though.

Grow area is 16''x18''x28.5''

I've watched Thundurkel repeatedly pull 7-12g plants from party cups with CFLs, but I think he uses 20oz cups.

Doing it this way yields more main colas though :] Seems to be it is the best way to get quantity and quality. I'm just copyin the Dr Bud method basically.

I eye balled my girls to be about the same height entering 12/12 as they where in the cut down 2L, but they have stretched much less. Might be from other factors, but they seem to be flower faster than before. I need to get some pics of them, but I also topped about 4 plants and on one strain I got two nice main colas in progress. On some other strains the plants hardly stretched at all and only about 10'' or so tall with 4 main nuggets that are clearly maturing faster, but yield looks less.

This is from BubbleGum in a 2L at a 9.5 week chop for contrast with the party cup root shot. Watered pretty much the same with same nutrients.

picture.php

What I wish I had was cups that where twice as tall. I could attach 9oz cups to the bottom of the 16ozs which would give me a bit more space, but it wouldn't be the full 9oz of course.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
:rasta:

I've heard it said, and I don't think it's necessarily true, that hydro grown can be of better quality.

After mucho many years of growing hydro, I would have to say that I agree. While hydro does offer a number of good advantages, in my opinion, enhanced quality or strength of the final smoke is not one of them. The main factor that dictates "smoke-quality" in any grow is genetics. While hydro in any form is not going to turn ditch-weed into ECSD, NL, or any other well engineered strain, it can do quite the opposite if not maintained within close guidelines. Soil-type grows are much more forgiving, and while they may not produce the same quantity as a finely tuned hydro set-up, they can surely produce the same quality.

Again, this is JMHO based solely on my 40 years of playing with these plants. I'm no botanist.

:rasta:

bottomrail

Hi everyone! I sure would like to join the 150 club if it is ok? I use to lurk at OG before they were shut down. I have been following this thread for some time now and I like what I see going on here. I especially like the innovation, experience, and dedication of the growers. But even more-so I like the zeal and passion for learning that I see in the younger growers and the fact that the more experience growers don't mind, and even encourage the newer inexperienced growers to ask questions. I can notgive "karma/props" to all of the grower that have helped me over the years but I can and will give props to pipedream, sugarbear, and belanuth. Right now I am running a DWC SCROG with 2 plants. I have a 110 CFM panasonic fan that I used to run a 150 cool tube. The size of the cabinet is 30 inches wide, 18.5 inches deep, and 47.5 inches in height which come out to about 3.7 CF and about 40 watts per foot. I am in the process of germinating two white russians from greenhouse seed company. Wish me luck

orf

I've been here about 2 wks. Pipedream said I could bookmark the page I'm on ,sorry but how do I do that? also ,I'm a cabinetmaker and I've seen some nice cab's I'd be proud of,nice job all.If anyone has any construction ?'s I'd be glad to help out if I can.
All I've got going is 2 bagseed plants,my first atempt but their doing fine 8 wks flowering and getting nice and frosty. I have no camera so I can't show them off.I started them under cfl's but once I found the 150 club well the rest is history.e-con light,remote ballast bla bla.you guys are a wealth of info and I think you're doin a bang up job.I'm only on page 206 at the moment so if I missed how to bookmark sorry.

M3@n_0n3

catman take a serious look at this dudes grow for small containers!

http://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=69713

He's using 20 zone containers and flushing 2x a week! Correction 16 zone containers like you are using!

I've used his watering method for my moms and it works great! It just takes a huge container to wash a one gallon mom!

Am currently flowering in a 1 liter soil grow.

Last edited:

catman

Veteran
M3@n_0n3, That thread was my initial inspiration to even consider micro growing. Thunderurkle uses Coco in his cups I believe so that gives him a little more advantage for yields. I need to find some containers that are taller and skinny because that seems to work better with 20oz bottles instead of 16oz cups.

I'm thinking about getting me some new genetics. If anyone has any insight to how these strains might preform in a small environment like I have I would really appreciate it. My space is 18x16x28 and I'd prefer to have more smaller plants if possible. I'll top if they stretch too much and train if absolutely necessary. Not interested in a scrog at the moment.

Mandala - Satori

Chimera / DJ Short - Mental Floss (I want a sativa, but dammit I'm a sucker for licorice)

And finally a feminized mix of the following from Green House Seeds

Super Silver Haze
Arjans Strawberry Haze
Arjans Haze #1
Neville's Haze
Hawaiian Snow

That should keep me busy for a while. I'm look for something to treat anxiety without clouding my thoughts. I have a mental condition so I'm not talking just about every day stress/anxiety. I want to try some stuff that makes people paranoid and gives them anxiety for I'm pretty sure it is those strains that do the opposite for me. I do like the indica effect every now and then so I'll keep both. It feels ridiculous to say, but I miss some of the bricked outdoor that I've had.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Anything with haze or a heavy sativa plant has the potential to really stretch out at flower. Many hazes will continue to vegetate long after being put into flower, hence the stretch and long flower periods we experience.

If you are going to grow haze in a small box like that, you need to flower much earlier than you would think...even from seed...and training should be a standard operating procedure.
I like to LST nearly all my plants, and don't do it to only those that do not respond well to it. You can create a SCROG without a screen if you train properly using ties.
Fewer plants and heavy training is needed for small boxes.
Check out Freezerboys haze grows.

Latest posts

Latest posts