What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

nicksgrow005-1.jpg

Heres my cab....
nicksgrow005.jpg

and open.....
nicksgrow016.jpg

I know it isnt even close to all the way set up but its getting there piece by piece..... The goods....
nicksgrow017.jpg

hempknowsis

Question for you guys. I want to go super stealth, I'm trying to think of something very safe to grow in. My idea is to grow inside something that nobody would ever try to "open" or suspect anything usual is going on.

For example, I remember seeing a thread where a guy did a grow in a big speaker. With only one cord going to the speaker. See what I'm getting at? There's no reason to try to open the speaker, and there is absolutely nothing usual going on with just one wire coming from it. So, whats something along those lines that I could put a 150 in?

McSnappler

Lurk.
Veteran
Question for you guys

Speaker box could be ideal.. best thing about that, you could take the driver units out of an existing speaker, build a much more substantial box, then put them back together.

It's still not going to be the ultimate in stealth, your ventilation will take care of that unfortunately - how many speaker boxes you know that hum?

I think a great stealth grow could be had under an aquarium.. you know those HUGE ones you get, built into a cabinet? A lot of people house the pumps, filtration etc under there.. good excuse for having the sound of fans/bubblers/whatever. Good reason to have if you ever get caught bringing in strange bottles of nutes too. Take a walk around your local koi carp place, or half the nutrients they use are in similar bottles to the nutes we use!

hempknowsis

Speaker box could be ideal.. best thing about that, you could take the driver units out of an existing speaker, build a much more substantial box, then put them back together.

It's still not going to be the ultimate in stealth, your ventilation will take care of that unfortunately - how many speaker boxes you know that hum?

I think a great stealth grow could be had under an aquarium..

Good point about the speaker, still one of the best setups I've seen. Think it was a 70 HPS. Good idea about the fish tank, but I dont' have one at the moment. While my wheels are turning about that a question about lighting...

How would I remote ballast this light?

http://www.e-conolight.com/Product/EProductDetail.asp?ProductFamilyID=3&FGNumber=E-HC1H151Z

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Hey floydfanx6. Most of us got here by reading, trial & error and then determining how our particular setups work best. I hope you find a peep with a similar setup that can help. However, if they don't see your post you're not gonna get an answer. Chances are the folks that have read your post haven't had Rubbermaid experience. Lots of members come and go. Your answer(s) "may" be found in one of the many archived threads/posts left over the years.

A single 150 in your setup will double the HID light recommended for indoor mj grows. Why start out with 4x? Doubling the necessary exhaust won't contribute to stealth either. Not saying it can't be done but yer learning to sail in a rubbermaid. Don't throw it in the ocean on the first voyage, test it out in the tub!:D

Try a search for rubbermaid grows and filter out the cfl threads. This will leave mostly small-watt hps growers to ask. When you find a setup that looks closest to yours, shoot em a PM and ask for specifics. Chances are they'll be peaked by your interest and lend a hand with setup info.

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
Great advice DB as usual.

The 150w footprint is perfect for a rectangle area like a rubbermaid.

The extra heat from an extra 150w will be less beneficial than a single 150w and lower heat in the neighborhood between 2-4 ft^2.

If you want to get the absolute from the tub (will cost ya) you should check out PLL lamps. Then you can have more light, less heat, and a "better" spectrum for medical cannabis.

Ise

bubblegum bud

bubblegum bud

Top flower...under a 150 of course.

Attachments

• 2009_06010004.JPG
    2009_06010004.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 9

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
So Ive been runnin' my 150hps for 3 days... Having issues with heat and I'm looking for any and all suggestions to help. My cab is 28''x18''x40''.... I have 2 4'' fans for circulation but need help with the setup for my exhaust.... Right now I can either have it "stealth" or the right temp but never both. I will have pics together soon, and this forum has helped me out greatly, thanks guys.

Very nice looking cab Yoda! A remote ballast for your lamp will help. Any chance you could rock the cab outside the closet? The closet will fill with warm air and will circulate into your already warm cab. The heat will continue to build as long as the light is on. If your cab is in a larger room, the heat doesn't build up as bad.

As far as exhaust, here's the quick and dirty:

Mount your exhaust fan as high as possible in the cab.
Cut passive intake hole(s) as low as possible.
Your passive intake should be about two times the size of the exhaust.

Example - A 4" exhaust fan needs ~8" of passive intake. That means one 4" hole for the exhaust (up high) and two 4" holes for intake (down low.) You may want to consider filters for the intakes, your cab will get dusty inside.

So I picked up some supplies for the cab. Got a Stanley blower, magnets for the door and some weather seal, sense the door isn't completely light proof. I attached a 5" to 4" duct to the blower and will have it installed tomorrow. Got 1 passive intake cut, before reading this I thought that would be enough, I'll get the other tomorrow as well, thanks DiscoBiscuit. I also plan on having it out of the closet as soon as it is "complete". Thanks again for the input, I'll have new pics when its finished.

nicksgrow034.jpg

I finally got my blower attached and I feel the weight lifting off my shoulders. The heat problem seems to have gone away, but I won't be sure for a couple hours.... Weather sealed all cracks and it is as light proof as it needs to be. Here's some updated pics of my ladies( so lucky to get a 2 for 2 female strike rate)
nicksgrow037.jpg
nicksgrow039.jpg

If I had not found this site would have a couple dead plants and probably a fire...Thanks for the help guys.

Dimebagg

Got a quick question for you guys with the experience. I have a 17x18x24" tall cab. I want to run a 150w, and obviously dont have alot of room to work with. From personal experience, would I be ok without a cool tube in this small of a cab? I will be putting the ballast outside of the chamber. I originally planned on running a tube, but after reading up more and more, I hear alot of people dont use them with 150w's. Im mainly worried about the small size of my cab

Mk3Jetta

nicksgrow034.jpg

I finally got my blower attached and I feel the weight lifting off my shoulders. The heat problem seems to have gone away, but I won't be sure for a couple hours.... Weather sealed all cracks and it is as light proof as it needs to be. Here's some updated pics of my ladies( so lucky to get a 2 for 2 female strike rate)
nicksgrow037.jpg
nicksgrow039.jpg

If I had not found this site would have a couple dead plants and probably a fire...Thanks for the help guys.

How loud is that blower? :1help:

The blower is noticeable. It doesn't draw attention and just sounds like a normal fan, I just run it on the lowest setting though.....I am however in search of a way to make it silent if that answers your question Jetta.

KolorBlind

OK I had mentioned a little while back that I was setting up a mini fridge to run a 150w HPS for my indoor grow. I have a large fridge in my garage with my first & second grows still flowering in it, but due to high summer temps & low winter temps, I wanted something to put inside so that the ambient air temp is always the same (or at least doesnt fluctuate more than 5 degrees). Also it needed to be small & light enough that I can pick it up and put it in my bedroom closet when company comes over. I have a lock on my closet door from a previous grow attempt, so if the plumber or whoever needs to come by he cant do any peeking.

I have everything I need to get it up and going, and the fridge is almost completely gutted. I just have a few more spots to scrape then probably sand off the rest. Here is a shot of the fridge after the painstaking 3-4 hour job a buddy and I did to remove all the foam. Do NOT attempt to gut a mini fridge unless you are ready for some shitty work. All the insulation is glued to the metal fridge with spray adhesive. I also gutted the door, although getting the foam out from the edges will be near impossible, it was sprayed into a waffle style piece of plastic that goes all the way around the inner edge. Once the holes are drilled & cut, the entire inside will be painted with a high temp flat white paint.
kolorblind-albums-mini-fridge-picture62410-060809b.jpg

Here is a shot of how I am thinking the backside will look. I bought a Soler & Palau TD-100x and I hope to run it on its low setting which is 100CFM and VERY quiet. It also has a 135CFM speed if needed. I made the filter by following a very lovely Icmag DIY that can be found here. The ballast & igniter will be put together in a 4x4 receptacle box, and the capacitor will bolt to the side. The only thing not in the picture is the ducting and the holes. One 4" hole will go where the hole saw is sitting, and 2 more will go on the backside of the "shelf" at the bottom for intake.
kolorblind-albums-mini-fridge-picture62411-060809c.jpg

I bought the 150w HPS, Socket, Ballast & components for $63 after shipping. Not a huge savings vs. buying a kit but all the reflectors & ballasts on all the kits I looked at would have been too big for my setup anyway. Another $4 for a piece of ductwork from Home DePot, and a few minutes with some tin snips and I have a simple, efficient reflector. Here is a pic of the reflector and light. I flipped the fridge upside down and placed them on the top right about where they will be mounted. This should only take up about 4" of vertical height. if needed, I can cooltube it with a pyrex bake-a-round tube I saw on craigslist for $5!!
kolorblind-albums-mini-fridge-picture62412-060809d.jpg

Let me know what you guys think. Im thinking that with the insulation torn out, and having more of an exhaust fan than I need I should not have heat issues. And the filter design im using from what I hear, is about as good as it gets for odor control. Im very excited to get all my babies out of the crappy little cabinet theyre in now and into the fridge. I have 6 Diesell Ryder AFs and 6 Apollo11/Green Giant seedlings going right now. They are 1 week old.

Peace
KB

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Yoda, nice job with the exhaust. Those fans look pretty stout at a decent price.

KolorBlind, looks like you've been busy. Good job with the construction. Mount yer igniter away from the transformer as far as the cable will allow, reduces buzz.

KolorBlind

DISCO --- Thanks for the tip! I read that its good to do that but didnt know why. Makes sense because my 70w HPS ballast in my big fridge hums like a MOFO when it starts up and we just threw it all in there. By transformer do you mean the ballast itself? Or does the term ballast refer to the assembled product of all 3 components? I'm a computer guy and I hate it when people call the tower a CPU, or the monitor the computer so I try not to do the same when talking about things I know little about haha!

Also, the large white thing in the picture is my capacitor, I was only mounting it on the outside because it wouldnt fit inside the 4x4 box. Think I should mount the igniter outside as well? Worst case it hums a bit I guess, and considering its supposed to be an old rickitty lookin fridge, it may not stand out as much.

Thanks
KB

Thanks Icon that should work perfectly for my set up. My exhaust and light have been on all day and temps are lower than ever! so fixing the noise along with a DIY carbon scrubber are my next ventures. wish me luck

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
DISCO --- Thanks for the tip! I read that its good to do that but didnt know why. Makes sense because my 70w HPS ballast in my big fridge hums like a MOFO when it starts up and we just threw it all in there. By transformer do you mean the ballast itself? Or does the term ballast refer to the assembled product of all 3 components? I'm a computer guy and I hate it when people call the tower a CPU, or the monitor the computer so I try not to do the same when talking about things I know little about haha!

Also, the large white thing in the picture is my capacitor, I was only mounting it on the outside because it wouldnt fit inside the 4x4 box. Think I should mount the igniter outside as well? Worst case it hums a bit I guess, and considering its supposed to be an old rickitty lookin fridge, it may not stand out as much.

Thanks
KB

KB, ballast is the whole assembly, less the lamp. Transformer is the big heavy thing. I didn't see yer mounted igniter until after I posted. Don't change it on my account, some ballasts are less noisy than others. If you ever have problems with buzz, that might be a place to tweak.

I have a 4x4 box as well. The igniter wouldn't fit inside so I improvised. That's when I noticed the igniter/t-former buzz thing. My igniter is in a plastic can so I figured it didn't need to be inside the box anyway. Nice setup you have there.

Latest posts

Latest posts