What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

rave420

Sorry if this has been all over the thread, but i am going to construct a cab using 150W HPS and about 2 square feet of canopy space.
What are typical yields people can expect from using 150's when they mastered their technique?

sugabear_II

Veteran
Sorry if this has been all over the thread, but i am going to construct a cab using 150W HPS and about 2 square feet of canopy space.
What are typical yields people can expect from using 150's when they mastered their technique?
this is highly dependent upon plant numbers, medium, and strain.... but I would say 150 watts over 2 square foot will give average of 3 oz or more ... usually 2 oz per square foot in non sog non vert grows will be a limit so 4 oz would be top end if you scrog or lst and grow all your plants at once (as opposed to a perpetual grow which can be a little harder to quantify) assuming a fairly average yielding 8-9 week strain.

rave420

wow thanks DiscoBiscuit and Sugabear II, you guys are a really helpful bunch here ;)

I looked up different reflector designs, and i know i want to cool-tube my HPS if i can find a round glass cylinder. I was wondering which reflector style is best to use with these 150's? I was thinking about a Simple Batwing Reflector or an Octaconal stye Reflector. I want to avoid too much spread, pretty much i need to get as much light as possible into a 2x2' footprint.

I love the amount of heat the 150s put out. Enough heat to prevent my cab from dropping below 70, yet not too much heat so it boils the whole cab.

Thanks a bunch!

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Octagonal reflectors are expensive and usually for larger bulbs? Great reflectors though. A bat wing can be cut with snips if it's not a perfect length/width. Flashing from a building supply is easy to fashion in either way if working with metal rings your bell.

rave420, don't mean to shake things up while you're planning. Have you considered a vertical setup? Square footprints lend well to this. Depending on pot size you could rock plants 360 degrees around the bulb. 4 sq ft is a little big for a 150 but a vertical setup would allow you to pack more plants. Another plus, no reflector necessary.

First post :joint:

I was sad to see OG was no longer, but its been years since I used that site.

I'm wanting to dust off the old 150 and put it into action, but the hot summer months are approaching and I'm a bit concerned about heat / humidity. The central air in the home is very inefficent and costs way too much to run on a continual basis.

The current setup is approximately 1.5' x 1.5 x 4.5' (adjustable height) Eventually this cab will be tossed out, but I'm sure I'm a bit rusty and want to try 1 or 2 plants til then. Location of this cab brings me to my question. I can either put the cab near a window (exhaust through window) or in a closet (exhaust to attic). Which area would be better to exhaust air to, or does it not matter?

Seeing that temperature might be an issue, would two 70 watt Hps lights put out less heat then a single 150 watter?

I plan on buying a decent blower to help move that hot air out as quick as possible, but still not sure just how hot things will be until I have the cab completely finished.

Also, these CFL's were not around the last time I was growing. Are these lights hotter than regular tube floro's? I don't really want to flower with CFL's. I never had any luck flowering with tube floro's either, but for vegging / mother / clones they may be wonderful.

This thread is possibly the greatest thread I've ever seen. I've only read about 100 pages and already learned many things I did not know before.

Later

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
...I'm a bit concerned about heat / humidity.

you should be able to get a 150 cab within ~6 degrees f of ambient temp w/o too much trouble, especially if you're gonna vent. Venting to attic would add stealth imo.

Seeing that temperature might be an issue, would two 70 watt Hps lights put out less heat then a single 150 watter?
less lumens with 2 70s, probably less heat but not enough to make a big difference. A small fan blowing on the bulb will help big time.

Also, these CFL's were not around the last time I was growing. Are these lights hotter than regular tube floro's?
CFLs have different sizes/heat. They don't distribute heat as evenly as tubes but aren't as hot as HIDs. Some of those large CFLs (125+ watts) get pretty damn hot. Cool CFLs are great for veg, mothers and clones.

growMEDS

My 150 hps is now setup! :D

090428_1.jpg

090428_2.jpg

cuticle nipper

Thank you sugabear for all the inspiration for trying my passion....for so inexpensive and ghetto fab.....sorry no pics to prove anything bc im so leary ...lurker for over two years finally had the nuts to post....just to thank the 150 watt club......i got 3 of em econo suckers lol....ahahah and bunches of cfls... nip :joint:

I really like your cab setup Disco, and thanks for the input. What did you use for the tube on your HPS?

I actually think a Cool tube and blower is probably my only option to lower temps. $$$ (the other green) is a factor and a portable ac unit or window unit is not in my price range after I add up the blower/scrubber, soil, nutes, fem seeds etc...

So this leads me to fans/blowers.

Sunleaves Windtunnel
http://www.sunleaves.com/detail.asp?sku=SW604

Does this function the same way as a squirell cage blower? Any help or info on choosing a good product to move air through the cab would be nice. I'd like it to be as quiet as possible.

Also anyone have a good DIY cool tube link?

:joint:

I've picked out a strain today, I'll be trying out strawberry cough.
https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=85&products_id=1087

Pricey for only 5 seeds may have to find a better deal :wallbash:

I plan a very short veg time to quick flower 12/12 SoG setup. Basically trying this lightning schedule because of the temps. 12 on 12 off is easier to manage temps. Lights on at night and lights off during the day. I've seen a few sativa dominant plants do very well under this schedule and setup. Not sure how well this strain will do because of its crossed genetics, but the experiment is half the fun. If by any odd chance you guys have grown this strain (doubtful :chin:) input would be great.

rave420

Octagonal reflectors are expensive and usually for larger bulbs? Great reflectors though. A bat wing can be cut with snips if it's not a perfect length/width. Flashing from a building supply is easy to fashion in either way if working with metal rings your bell.

rave420, don't mean to shake things up while you're planning. Have you considered a vertical setup? Square footprints lend well to this. Depending on pot size you could rock plants 360 degrees around the bulb. 4 sq ft is a little big for a 150 but a vertical setup would allow you to pack more plants. Another plus, no reflector necessary.

Shake it upp all you want, the more inspiration the better :D
I haven't fully decided on anything yet, what i am doing right now is exploring my options. I already build the octagonal style reflector myself (see DYI-Link-o-Rama) and i will mount the bulb on it today.

So you are saying i should hang the bulb base up in the middle of my growroom, rearange my plants so they have a square footprint, minus the one in the middle, and then hang the bulb there? That sounds if it will work, but i had to figure out a smart way to cool the thing. I have not constructed my cooltube yet, so i have no idea how much cooling i have to install really... PLUS i will have to build a WORKING carbon scrubber... There are still some other things that need to be overcome before i start thinking about how to hang the bulb :D

Todo list:
- mount bulb
- find glass cylinder for cool-tube
- install cool-tube
- install ventilation
- build carbon scrubber
- install carbon scrubber
- build the cab

So you see, i am still some klicks away from planting anything ;) My current grow will have another 2 - 4 weeks to go, so i am not stressing too much about it. I just want to get some ideas. Especially, if there is anybody that has anything good to say about the DIY carbon filter.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I really like your cab setup Disco, and thanks for the input. What did you use for the tube on your HPS?

I actually think a Cool tube and blower is probably my only option to lower temps. $$$ (the other green) is a factor and a portable ac unit or window unit is not in my price range after I add up the blower/scrubber, soil, nutes, fem seeds etc...

So this leads me to fans/blowers.

Sunleaves Windtunnel
http://www.sunleaves.com/detail.asp?sku=SW604

Does this function the same way as a squirell cage blower? Any help or info on choosing a good product to move air through the cab would be nice. I'd like it to be as quiet as possible.

Also anyone have a good DIY cool tube link?

:joint:

Hey CoughingWidow, thanks for the kind word. I used a Bake-A-Round bread mold. They're no longer made but can be had off Ebay for ~15.00 +shipping. A pc fan blowing on the bulb will keep temps just as low IMO. The benefit I get from the cool tube is minimal. If fan leaves touch the tube they'll wilt. If they touch the bulb they'll burn. I probably get no more than an inch or two advantage with the tube. The tube decreases the amt of light to the plants but I like the trade off regardless.

That's a good lookin blower. 200 CFMs (I assume you're going 4"?) is a little stout but that's ok. You might decide to expand in the future and 200CFMs will cool larger bulbs, maybe up to 600 watts? That fan you're considering is much better than the HydroFarm blower IMO. Yours has sealed, oiled bearings and can probably be passed on to the next grower when you retire! No shit. It's got enough power for a scrubber whether you go with a small or medium filter. If there's a down side, it may be noisy. Full speed may be as loud as a hair dryer. A speed controller allows you to decrease the speed, thus decreasing noise. A nearby fan, aquarium, computer or other low noise device can be used to blame the noise on.

There are several options that are less noisy and less expensive but you might not be able to upgrade with them? Check out the Panasonic Whisper fan (fart fan.) There are several sizes and just might be the quietest fan out there. S & P blowers are quieter than the one you're looking at but not as quiet as the Panasonic. Down sides to these? The Panasonic bathroom fan requires a rather interesting looking filter contraption but there's a good tutorial here somewhere by Bulenath in the DIY thread. S & P requires you to buy and attach the power cord. There are several tutorials how to do this as well. Decibles or Sones is the spec you need to determine noise from your fan. The Hydrofarm 95CFM blower is 29db at full speed, the one you're looking at is probably about 40db? The Panasonic bathroom fans are as low as .3 Sones (That's about 13db.) One Sone = 40db. Hope this helps

EDIT: there are several DIY cool tube designs in the DIY thread. I don't have the links but an advanced search for Panasonic, S & P, and cool tube will get you the tutorials. Bake-A-Round in Ebay search will get you the tubes. Coleman lantern globes and hurricane lamp chimneys also work for cool tubes and are about 1/3 the cost.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
I've picked out a strain today, I'll be trying out strawberry cough.
https://www.seedboutique.com/store/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=85&products_id=1087

Pricey for only 5 seeds may have to find a better deal :wallbash:

I plan a very short veg time to quick flower 12/12 SoG setup. Basically trying this lightning schedule because of the temps. 12 on 12 off is easier to manage temps. Lights on at night and lights off during the day. I've seen a few sativa dominant plants do very well under this schedule and setup. Not sure how well this strain will do because of its crossed genetics, but the experiment is half the fun. If by any odd chance you guys have grown this strain (doubtful :chin:) input would be great.

I'd like to try the SC, read good things about it. I like the minimal veg idea, maybe even 12/12 from seed? Sativa dominant strains usually stretch enough from seed in a 150 setup. I have a strain or two that are painfully slow in veg. As soon as they flip to flower they bolt. I could probably save a week or three overall going with 12/12 from seed? SOG are great but you have to maximize the number of plants to get a decent harvest. It also helps to know what to trim (or not) and when.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Shake it upp all you want, the more inspiration the better :D
I haven't fully decided on anything yet, what i am doing right now is exploring my options. I already build the octagonal style reflector myself (see DYI-Link-o-Rama) and i will mount the bulb on it today.

That was fast. Is your reflector in the DIY? I'd like to check it out.

So you are saying i should hang the bulb base up in the middle of my growroom, rearange my plants so they have a square footprint, minus the one in the middle, and then hang the bulb there? That sounds if it will work, but i had to figure out a smart way to cool the thing. I have not constructed my cooltube yet, so i have no idea how much cooling i have to install really... PLUS i will have to build a WORKING carbon scrubber... There are still some other things that need to be overcome before i start thinking about how to hang the bulb :D

Vertical is cool but do what works best for you. Vertical allows you to put more plants around the bulb but horizontal + reflection gets you more lux, whatever that means lol. Overall configuration efficiency is what you want. If it's easier to go horizontal , I'd do that. I've never tried a vertical myself, just like the results posted here.

Todo list:
- mount bulb
- find glass cylinder for cool-tube
- install cool-tube
- install ventilation
- build carbon scrubber
- install carbon scrubber
- build the cab

So you see, i am still some klicks away from planting anything ;) My current grow will have another 2 - 4 weeks to go, so i am not stressing too much about it. I just want to get some ideas. Especially, if there is anybody that has anything good to say about the DIY carbon filter.

You're saving yourself lots of headache planning ahead.:joint: There are different levels of DIY scrubbers in the designs thread. Micro scrubbers made from cheap stuff all the way up to big professional ones. Super stinky plants need a (substantial?) scrubber, micro scrubbers may get you the occaisional whiff of stink. Low smell strains work just fine with micros. Carbon change outs are more frequent with micros. My mesh pencil holder scrubber only holds ~3 ounces of carbon. A small pro scrubber like the Can 2600 probably has 2 or 3 pounds. If you plan to make a pro-type, there's a good thread to calculate the barrel length based on your particulars. If you make a micro scrubber, length vs diameter aren't as critical but won't work as good if yer rockin the funk. I don't have the pro scrubber link. If you want to see it try an advanced search - carbon scrubber for dummies. It's one of the best IMO.

I like the minimal veg idea, maybe even 12/12 from seed?

Alot of people I've read about do this style from seed at 12/12. Usually these people either use their leftover bagseed, have unlimited resources for seeds, or pollenate one of their buds. None of which I want to do. For my grow, 3 will go in flower from seed the other 2 will have to start vegging to become my first set mothers. Then clones will veg til roots are strong and tossed into flower asap. I've read that this strain is a little more bushy than other sativa's.

I'm not expecting a large yield til I have a good supply of clones going. Maybe someone knows a better way to do this?

I'd like to try the SC, read good things about it.

I don't know a thing about how this strain will end up growing, but smoking it inspired me to want to grow it :joint:. It was good euphoric high for me, very unique. Eventually, Ill want to add a lil something with it though :chin:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Sounds like you have a good plan, CoughingWidow. Are the beans feminized? Your seed may produce a male but your plan is as still sound. There is a good thread here that suggests nute, light color and cycle manipulations that will increase female ratios. I'm no botanist but professional breeders achieved positive results. If you're interested I'll see if I can find that link.

Check other grows of the same strain and hopefully a setup the size of yours. See what others are doing style wise. Three plants 12/12 from seed in a sog setup might get less yield than an LST or a SCROG. SCROG might be tuff the first time around if you have little idea of stretch. I'm not sure a scrog will work 12/12 from seed? If SC is sativa dominant, clones should be a breeze. Indica clones sometimes take longer to root.

rave420

:woohoo::woohoo: check out what i just built!

Photo0094_resize1.jpg

It works like a charm and acts as a heatsink to. I will most likely weld some fins on the top (like a cpu cooler) or otherwise maximize the area.

Say, i use a 150w bulb and my ambient temp is 70F. How much CFM would i need to have it rise like 1 or 2 F ?

Hey discoBiscuit,
I will grow 4 plants in a small space (not much bigger than the reflector you're seeing there), and use a rather small, not so strong bathroom fan. I haven't decided on what i want to do yet, i want to design the grow space first, throw the lamp in there and watch the temps. Once i have sufficent cooling i will go and build myself a scrubber, and see how much more ventilation i need in order to not have the temps go through the roof.

What strains would you recommend that are low-smell? I haven't heard of non-smelly cannabis to be honest :D
maybe someone can help me out here? What is the typical temperature rise in a small (like 1x2x4) cab with a 150w hps WITHOUT ventilation (only passive intake/exhaust)?
I just hope they work well.
PS: I used pop-rivets, and i should have placed an extra layer of scrap on top, in the middle and the bottom, like so: scrap / corner / scrap / corner / scrap, or used some washers to get a tighter, and better hold.

Latest posts

Latest posts