What's new

150w HPS Club and Resource Guide......

Bulénath

Discobiscuit,
Your plants don't look that bad!
...Just that there seems to be many variables you are dealing with at the moment which is causing you such hassle.

The nightime/daytime shift into warmer temperatures and less overall fluctuation will most likely help. After all, the more stable the enviroment the better.

Though such temperature swings are a common occourance in the wild.

The possibility that there is a lack of Nitrogen could also be contributing to the roots not having warm enough insulation.
Maybe that is causing a lockout of certain nutrients, and/or PH swings when coupled with chemical based ferts. I really wonder if Wormcastings would help in this senario....

Seems the puzzle is getting pieced into a hopefully correct picture.
Though I am no Professor, lack much knowledge and am still learning myself...
Surely we are both wondering what the experts at the infirmary have to say about this...

Bamboo pipes....!
Made my first pipe outa Bamboo when 13. Got soo stoned and was so naieve, it wasn't until 10 hits after a cashed bowl did I realize it was Bamboo I was smoking! Lungs were wasted for hours....

Nothing like a custom diffused german Roor with fully worked sections though...:)

Seattlehomegrown, Welcome to the club!

What kind of temperature increase above ambient is that Vapor style causing? Hope your seedling is Female!

Last edited:

SkunkyDemon

:rasta: I started using the Lucas formula and it seems to work pretty well. Has enough n to keep things running smooth. Keep up the great job!

green_grow

Veteran
welcome aboard, seatle ... your plants could be doing a lot better. if you need some help with cooling, just ask. i used to grow in plastic milk jugs, too. they work quite well ... did you poke some drainage holes in them ? what are you using for soil ?

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Bulenath (how do I type your name correctly?) Thank you for taking the time to hash things out with my grow. I agree this is probably a candidate for the infirm. I'm checking the runoff ppm, seeing if I've got large concentrations of salts. If buildup isn't a problem and I don't believe it is at the moment, I'll consider castings. If I don't have a buildup I'll probably do something fast acting. I thought I read somewhere that worm castings are slow release and if I'm looking for fast acting organic nitrogen, bat guano (a particular bat at that) is fast acting. I live in a small town and don't know who's got the Vietnamese Bat Guano.

You're a modest man, I happen to think you're one of the more successful growers here. The pics of your grows are great. Taking the time to comment is even more helpful for me. Yeah, those Germans make all the good chit. Nothing better than glass, at least in my price range.

SkunkyDemon, you must have read my mind. I noticed the micro has higher N than the grow. I was wondering whether I should add some grow but I'll go Lucas first. It worked for me last grow with the same strain.

Wasup SeatleHomegrown, I'm having grow problems at the moment so please don't take offense at my suggestion. Things look good in the pics but you're right about the heat, things look a little warm. I notice you've got good circulation inside the cab. You'll gain if you put a pc fan on that bulb, works wonders. The next thing that will work well is if the your cab intake isn't influenced by the warm exhaust air. Something as simple as a few feet of duct may insure your cab/tent/closet whatever doesn't suck in warm exhaust air. Intake works best at the bottom, exhaust up top, three to five air exchanges a minute should do the trick. But don't take my word for it. green_grow raises nice big plants and has offered to help.

Last edited:
C

Cozy Amnesia

I too use the lucas formula but I modify it for use with coco to make it 9/6 bloom/micro. My re-vegged master kush 3 weeks of flower and 7 weeks sense I first harvested her:

Last edited:

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
Now that's where I want to be. 9/6? are you talking about 15 ml per gallon? I'm using the same 3 parts bloom - 2 parts micro ratio, but I'm more like 18ml per gal. Maybe I'm going too strong. Thanks for the tip Cozy.

SeatleHomegrown

thanks

thanks

hey guys thanks for all the input but i have no heat problems or anything, those pics were taken 24 hours after a transplant, she is up and is actually in flowering today cuz she showed me female preflowers last night, first grow is a female, nice!!!

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
:rasta:

I believe I made my final supply run earlier today and germination is in progress.
Five NL#5 and a couple of bag seed that was purple and covered in resin :) I'm using the paper towel method, in zip loc, and on heating pad method.

Picked up a bag of Fox Farm Ocean Forrest, Perlite, and neoprene starters.

The veg lights are a 23W CFL 5000K and a 23W CFL 6500K.

Bulénath

Good lights to use Catman!

Did you soak the seeds for 12-24 hours first?
To quote many growers, "I never had a seed that sank that didn't sprout"...

Discobisciut,
I appreciate your kind words:) My name is pronounced 'Bolenath' as in the Hindu God Shiva.... you can type it however :rasta:
While in a remote Himalayan village known for the best hash in all of India, the locals would tell me that Bolenath is Shiva when he smokes Ganja and chills out. Shiva is symbollic in not only Hinduism, but also represented in Buddhism (Fudo Myoo), as the Destroyer of illusions, and out concept of "ourself".
So in essence, Bolenath is symbollic of smoking ganja in the name of God, to destroy illusions so we can realize the ultimate truth.

Last edited:

catman

half cat half man half baked
Veteran
I didn't soak them at all, but I just took them out of the bag and am now. I don't know if it would have mattered or not, but I was curious to how many would sink. 4/7 did right away..

The first time I grew a plant I was really stoned and through a couple of seeds in a glass of water and 3 days later I found 2 inch long tap roots.

That's a pretty cool background behind your name Bulénath. Is it really your name or just forum alias?

Bulénath

Soaking seeds is a good thing, but once the seeds crack open you gota remove them or they will drown!

My real name has much meaning, and I try to live up to it. However, Bulenath is just an ICM alias.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bulénath said:
Foliar feeding is something that confuses me, becasue plants cannot uptake nutrients through thier leaves...
Both the roots and the leaves have mechanisms to uptake nutrients.
Leaves are largely responsible for the uptake of carbon, oxygen, and hydrogen, and can take in all of these nutrients via water or atmosphere through the stomata.
The roots have a more complex system of uptake, and distribution of nutrients.
Most all of the other nutrients that we understand are taken in via the root system. In the case of Magnesium, it's ion is taken in by the roots, and then stored for use, depending on the plants situation. In times of plenty, the plant will hold on to the Mg and distribute during times of bad, like drought.
When the system does distribute Mg, it is a cyclical event. The ions are pumped up to the leaves of the plant, and then pumped back down to the roots again, making a circle so to speak. This process does not seem to be fully understood by the horticultural community, but I think from what I can gather that Mg can indeed transfer it's ions to the plant cells at the stomata of the leaves. This would be during the recirculation of the Mg.

Since the leaves are responsible for the most part of taking in oxygen*, then a foliage spray of H2o and H2o2 (hydrogen peroxide) provides oxygen, hydrogen, and an additional free radical oxygen molecule provided by the H2o2. Air brings in carbon as well as additional oxygen. These nutrients are taken in via the leaves stomata.
*(the largest role of the nutrient uptake by leaves is taking in carbon via Co2)

Last edited:

Bulénath

A few years back I took an agriculture class at the local college which left a specific memory when the professor said "that plants cannot uptake nutrients through thier leaves".
I remember sitting silently in contradicitng thought based on what was previously stated by the cannabis growing community. Of course, little or no time was taken to go into further detail on the subject for there was an overwhelming amount of information to deal with already.

Even young children are taught at an early age that leaves on plants and trees take in carbon dioxide and produce oxygen, and for the most part, that is true. Although as you said plants can also take in Oxygen & Hydrogen through thier leaves.

"from what I can gather that Mg can indeed transfer it's ions to the plant cells at the stomata of the leaves. This would be during the recirculation of the Mg."

So only during certain times, when the Mg is flowing through the leaves in rare release of mass amounts, which the scientific community has little idea of to begin with, can the foliar feeding of Mg be applied?

Straight from Botany for Gardeners Revised Edition by Brian Capon:
"Magnesium is an intergal part of Chlorophyll molecules...The characteristic Deficiency symptom if Mg is chlorosis- or yellowing of the leaves- due to the curtailmet of chlorophyll shynthesis"

So it is safe to assume that Mg is always present within the leaves, but sometimes released in great numbers when the plant really needs it....But still, it seems to be the only element besides the main three, Carbon, Oxygen and Hydrogen, which can only be applied as a foliar spray...To go on to quote the same book....

"The elements used in greatest quantities by growing plants- carbon, hydrogen, and oxygen- are derived primarily from air and water. In nature, all other nutirents have thier orgins in the Earth's rock materials." - Meaning all other nutrients have thier orgins within the soil, plants evolved to this aspect, and it most likely remains so until this very day.

Though the thougt of Mg being absorbed through Stoma (Stomata) is interesting. Looking foward to any information about this phenomena.

EDIT:
With all due respect, Hoosierdaddy. I am just really into the mood for some scientific discussion, and on that same note, I honestly apprecite your well thought reply.

Last edited:

Doel

So I have 4 original Haze x Skunk 1 seeds waiting to pop, and would place one in my bubble bucket but have no way of knowing if it is a female. Do you all think the best idea would be to grow each seedling in it's own pot and use it any female as a mother for the hydro set up? I figure if i get more than one female i can just flower the other one in soil and get a glimpse of the future. Any suggestions? Anyone know a method of transplanting from soil to hydro? Can it be done?

Bulénath

I would suggest each seedling (and eventual plant) in its own pot, so you can develop it to its fullest potential without fear of stressing it, which may very well make your seedlings turn male or hermie to escape what it percieves as a harsh enviroment.

Hydro to soil? No experience, but the question has been asked many times in the growers forum. Surely you'll find a good answer.

I would suggest flowering for a 14 days or so before cloning, and about that time three things should happen...

1) Your plants should have addequate vegetative growth to take many clones.

2) You should see pre flowers which will let you know which plants to clone.

3) You should be hitting the flowering plants with P & K about that time which eventually helps the rooting of its clones.

Last edited:

Bulénath

Discobiscuit,
Here is some information I found interesting and perhaps valuable to your situation...

Quoted from the organics section on the "PH and oragincs" thread..

BurnOne said:
Organic pH issues

I hear a lot of people asking or talking about the pH of their organic soil mix or organic nute solution and how they might correct or adjust it. pH in organics is not an issue like it is in synthetic growing.
The best place to settle the pH issues in organics is within the grow medium. A medium rich in humates (humus) is the place to start. Humates work to "buffer" the pH of organic mediums and the nutes you pour (or mix) into it.
Humates come from compost, worm castings and bottled humus. If you use a peat based medum, use dolomite lime to raise the pH of the acidic peat. Dolomite should be used in any soil or soiless medium to provide magnesium and calcium. But since we are talking about pH here, I'll mention dolomite lime's pH correction benefits.
A medium of coir has a pH near neutral (or 7.0). But humates are still neded to allow uptake of organic nutrients that are outside a near neutral pH range.
With an active medium rich in humates you can pour in nutes like Pure Blend Pro, Earth Juice and guano teas with pH anywhere from 4 to 9 without worry. The humus will allow the nutes to be taken up through the roots, even at such an extreme pH reading.
So throw those pH meters away folks and enjoy the ease and safety of organic gardening.

Burn1

For that matter it is worth mentioning again, that Pure Blend Pro is rich in Humic Acids, and I have never put Dolomite lime into my mix...
However, the blackgolds organic soil may or may not have domomite lime...I forgot, and the bags of the stuff are outside in the cold...

Last edited:

growDaddy

Doel said:
Anyone know a method of transplanting from soil to hydro? Can it be done?

I have done this and there is no problem.

I had a plant I started in hydro, ran out of space and planted it outside just in the ground. After a couple of months in the ground I dug it up and cleaned of the roots, and put it in a rockrool cube and put it back into hydro. It freaked a little at first but is now my mother, growing like everything and I clone her on a regular basis.

Pipedream

Proudly Growing My Own Since 1969
Veteran
Yep, just want to second what growDaddy said. I've done it many times over the years. Although both directions work fine, I'll tell you that it is much easier and less stressful to the plant when going from soil to hydro than the other way around.

Either way, give the roots a good healthy trimming, rinse them off throughly with a very mild H2O2 solution, and give them a drop of SuperThrive or equivilant product once in their new home.

i found a pbp 3 pack kit on ebay for like $15 grow lk and bloom. i think i'll be trying it. i always get def's. i have been using dynagrow bloom maybe its that and ph issues, way to much for soil, and now i'm trying promix bx. i just wanna water forget not count spotting leaves every day