What's new

15,000 Attend SF Hemp Expo

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
San Francisco hosted the International Cannabis & Hemp Expo 2010 in the Cow Palace, with 15,000 attendees.

Under clear blue skies in warm weather, the event was a major success with vendors and visitors all proclaiming it to be the most relaxed and fun cannabis event they ever attended.

Noted author Jorge Cervantes spoke to a large crowd about his experiences during his 30 years of cannabis research. He was also there to speak as himself, George Van Paten, ditching his disguise and appearing as himself to the attendees.

Other speakers included Richard Lee and Ed Rosenthal.

Two large exhibit halls offered a multitude of vendors, and several booths were offering cannabis-based edible foods to sample. Business were on hand touting their products, from publications to manufacturers of grow room equipment and supplies.

A large outdoor area was setup as the '215 Smoking Area' in honor of California's Proposition 215 which legalized cannabis use for medical patients. To enter this area one had to provide a copy of their recommendation and sign a disclaimer form. This did not deter anyone it seems, as the space was packed with tokers happily sharing their samples and enjoying the sunny day.

Musical guests included Los Marijuanos and Dre Ghost, Jah Warrior Shelter was the event DJ.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kalicokitty

The cat that loves cannabis
Veteran
Living in my narrow minded, intolerant state, I can't even imagine what something like that would be like, wow, I would love to go to something like that.

Lazyman

Overkill is under-rated.
Veteran
It was pretty bad ass, I had fun. not much for growers though, i saw 1 or two booths (including the IGrow trailers) that were for growers but most of it was for smokers. Lots of pipes, tons of vaporizers, and lots of t-shirts.

T

Teeg420

the igrow trailer was badd ass, except a couple of things for example the price was 60k for that trailer.

Lazy did it have 1kw or 600's cause they had them set up on small 3x6 tables. The lights were probably dimmed as well.

The vertical garden ah man had me in stitches it was some old dude who put it together, 2 1k lights with some kind of trough to hold the plants. I understand there is a mark up because people have to make money but a lot of that shit is so overpriced.

The plants there looked like shit/ well most of them did how about the led booth, 3 weeks into flower i wish i had a pic of that shit all you guys would be laughing so hard.

Asked another vendor about led lighting told me that the 350 watt one that is supposed to be equivalent to a 1000 could light up 4x4 and penetrate up to 3 feet or some shit I was like how come your plant over there is light starved over there. Only like 1 foot of the top showed healthy growth the rest just looked weak.

Overall it was fun, definitely geared toward smokers, some hot chicks, No offense to anyone but I can see why they choose Daly city to have the convention. It seems like they got worse problems to worry about then a hemp expo.

I missed the garden expo last year definitely not missing it this year, I was under the assumption they was gonna be more indoor gardening products but oh well.

The 215 area was a madhouse people going crazy over at the stands that were selling buds.

Oh got to meet ed rosenthal and ken estes. Ed weird dude, ken now that's a cool cat. Didnt see subcool.

Skip

Veteran
I guess when you consider who was behind this event, it should be no surprise there weren't so many things for growers. The Gang of Four doesn't want ppl to grow (hence the 5' x 5' grow limitation in the Legalization Initiative they are trying to get ppl to vote for). They want everyone to buy pot from them. The initiative is geared towards huge grows for a select few businesses, and only small private grows beyond that.

So sure they've got this event to hype themselves, the initiative and to make money...

But it was a nice event, got to meet ppl I haven't seen in years, network with new ppl and I even got to meet a few members of ICMag there! :)

T

Teeg420

yea i did notice alot of people standing outside with petition.

I didnt see richard lee. Not that I was interested in meeting him anyways.

Skip

Veteran
Here's a pix of the IGrow trailer (one of em anyways)... More pix to come!

Attachments

• igrowcab.jpg
    igrowcab.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 38

2Lazy

SF gets a bad rep from the rest of the nation because we're so tolerant of everything. I suppose in our area it's live and let live. Or more accurately I look at most of America as very judgmental and against the basic foundations of personal freedoms we are entitled to as human beings.

Sure, we're okay with the gay community. Sure, we're okay with the bikers. Sure, we're cool with hippies. Sure, we're cool with yuppies. Sure, gansters and wanna be's. Hicks. Homeless. Whatever. The thing about events in our areas is that you see everyone from all walks of life, living it the way they want to. The west coast is the only thing right with America IMO. I don't want to let a few bad apples spoil the whole bunch, I know you're not all bad, hell, I'm preaching to the choir really.

Seriously though, that was 15,000 completely different people all coming together with the single thing in common, they smoke-a-the-reefer. Although, being that the greater bay area has like 15 million people in it... that's still a small percentage of the total population.

J

JackTheGrower

Just got back.. Was there both days..

This was my first trip to Daly City and to the Cow Palace

I arrived on Saturday around Noon and soon found out no cameras allowed so I had to stash the equipment. After I experienced things I was relly cool with the no cameras rule.
I bought a ticket for both days and later rented a room at the Palace Motel Inn.. Not so bad and it had a really huge bath tub.

So here it was.. I had a bag of joints and bags of seeds and all I couldn't take in was the bottled water.. Nice! :dance013: :thank you: :tiphat: :jump:

On Saturday it seemed to be the largest crowed at the prop 215 line. It was humid and hot for a while but did cool later Saturday and was generally pleasant all of Sunday.
At first it seemed to look a bit Swap-Meet-ish as I found the South Hall first and then the North hall but once I realized how it was set up, and found the Prop 215 line, I saw the intelligence of the lay out.
There were "levels" of access and wrist bands showing if you could access areas. Nice control system with little hassle.
So once I realized that the deeper into the security I went the more freedom I found Cannabis wise I felt like "A free Man in Paris.".

I had to over come some anxiety Saturday of being alone and in an unfamiliar place but that did happen.

Saturday I missed the speakers and I left a bit earlier than 6pm to get a room and rest so I missed the live music but I did see a lot of what was out there.
However, it was the best day for free edibles! Hint Hint...
Getting into the Prop 215 area was pleasant. They had not heard that recommendations don't expire if they don't have an expiration date but, when they had to check they were very nice to me in the process. I am assuming that they defaulted to the Citizen's honesty as actually all a Citizen needs is his doctor of verbally say so.
Back to the edibles and the booths inside the Prop 215 area! Outstanding! That Saturday they must have had trucks bringing in all the edibles! Maybe it just seemed like it but my warmest thanks to those great folks that donated all that materials for free! They were the heroes of the day in my mind.
Also available was free weed! Lighters, Papers and what nots.. There was a game show called name that strain where contestants took hits then won prizes if they knew the strain name.

I entered a couple raffles for vapes but didn't win.

There was plenty to do and I did wander in and out of the Prop 215 area. I even spoke with some plain clothes LEOs at the 215 gate, I was high I might add, and we had an intelligent conversation. In Fact while there was some disdain for the event among the staff I spoke with, I assume more of those watching on the side lines were forming opinions rather than defending them.

On Sunday, I had spent the night locally and was rested so, it made for a nice way to enjoy the event. I will try to arrive the night before for the next one so i can catch all the speaking without the stress of arriving that day.
Sunday crowd didn't get thick till later when there was a noticeable rush on the prop 215 gate but no problem for those with the wrist band of the day already obtained earlier.

I did catch Tom Ammiano and Americans for Safe Access plus more on Sunday including Los Marijuanos http://stash.norml.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/hempfest-2007-021.jpg on Sunday!

So what was it like to hang out in the Prop 215 area?
Well it was divided into two main sections one being a very large area with umbrellas and booths around the court yard and then the VIP area just over the fence. Not bad at all really. Live DJ and music all the time. It was easy to walk up to anyone and chat and smoke.
I brought about 30 joints that i handed out along with 50 packs of 25 seeds each of BOGO and Turloco and handed out those. BTW anyone that got those seeds I am standing by to explain any details I can for you! I hope a few find this site as none knew about ICMag.. I am sure ICMag could have sold a few copies there.

Now the coolist thing was that no one busted me for sharing and there were a lot of folks gifting all kinds of weed things like a nice chunk of Grandaddy Purp Hash I was gifted after I blindly gifted some seeds! Thank You! See that was how it was really.. I feel if we can keep that spirit alive we have something.

What Can I say? There were vendors of all kinds and lots of cannabis for free. That spirit of donation is the real magic of the event. I imagine that a lot of monies were spent to provide. May I suggest we all support those fine folks who made the efforts!

So while anyone could have enjoyed some of the events and other over 18 could enjoy more those over 18 with a Medical Recommendation could enjoy it all.. <--- Think about that one a moment.

I wandered around and did take time to look honestly at things such as the trailers and the LED lights but there were a lot of booths spread out between two halls. Not everything was a priority.

Someone one did screw up.. There were no T-Shirts for the event! Doh! What would the profit on 15,000 souvenirs be? I would have bought two shirts One to ware and one to save.

My opinion on how to make the next one as good or better: The Gifting is something we could keep going! Folks were gifting weed all over the place. One Note I was the only one gifting genetics I saw but I was very popular.

Really it was this spirit of Non-Violent acceptance and Gifting that made it an Amsterdam in Daly City for a couple days. I am assuming the local businesses could enjoy more business!

There could have better announcements for activities such as speakers. There could be better air and I would like to see a water fountain and more chairs in the smoking area.
But all in all we were all learning this time.

Again I have to say what an outstanding job the vendors did in providing edibles and smokeables! You guys made it wonderful and I know it cost some but Bravo!

Now on to my Special Mention! Eat at NG's Chinese restaurant across the street! Out Standing food at low prices. I had both my Saturday dinner and Sunday Dinner there and was wishing I could try more of their menu when I left this morning.

I didn't meet any ICMagers this time.. IF you saw the tall Big guy with the yellow backpack and grey beard that was me. I did hang on to some seed packs as long as I could and I had plenty to share on the weed side.. So next time friends!

Last edited:

Skip

Veteran
Here's a couple more pix... First is Ed Rosenthal, second is the Judge's kit.

Attachments

• edrosenthal.jpg
    edrosenthal.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 40
  • judgeskit.jpg
    judgeskit.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 40

ForestBuds

The International Cannabis and Hemp Expo 2010

The International Cannabis and Hemp Expo 2010

:wave:
picture.php

Paranormal Shot of San Francisco
picture.php

A mother plant
picture.php

A piece of history - There is no point for the DEA to deny cannabis's medicinal properties.
picture.php

The lineage of California Bean Bank Purple Voodoo finally has been answered. Purple Voodoo - Double Purple Doja x Urkle x Purple Cheese. Indica/Sativa: 50/50: Flowering: 65-70 days; High: balanced head and body; Smell/Taste: sweet, powerful, pungent. I purchased a pack of this in fall of 2008. I hope what I have is the actual same lineage as the above.
picture.php

Purps grown in Washington State

picture.php

Lavender Kush from a dispensary in South Sacramento
picture.php

Deep Purple from TGA
picture.php

Deeper into Deep Purple

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
Hey Jack, I saw you!!! I had a great time... and glad you could make it to the event.

Perhaps you will see yourself in some of the crowd shots in the video I am putting together... I had a press pass so I could take in the video camera and film freely... reportage for the Cannagraphers coming later today!

Norkali

Much fun!!!! Was awesome seeing some of the guys from here! Lazy - I wish I would have known you were going; we could have blazed one! I really enjoyed the event...was a crazy weekend for me!!!

J

JackTheGrower

Hey Jack, I saw you!!! I had a great time... and glad you could make it to the event.

Perhaps you will see yourself in some of the crowd shots in the video I am putting together... I had a press pass so I could take in the video camera and film freely... reportage for the Cannagraphers coming later today!

@Payso Well as caustic as I am from time to time I'm still worth a chat for-sure!

Perhaps next year we all can plan a meet and greet.

@Leonard NeemOil I too failed to follow what was happening. So what was in and who did win?