What's new

1200 sq ft of potential. First real greenhouse!

Here is what I'm working with. ~29'x42'

picture.php

picture.php

Last summer the roof was covered with heavy clear poly with a 6" gap at the top for ventilation. this proved to be wholly inadequate but the plants were only out for 6 weeks before having to move inside. Definitely installing fans and vents as well as roll up sides his year, cannot be having 100+ temps again.

Thinking 3×3×2, maybe 4x4x3 raised beds, still have to do the volume calculations. I have tons of dirt to reuse, but I'm wondering if i can even use it? On hand I have ~50 cubic feet of used Black Gold organic amended with various guanos and meals, 15 bags of miracle grow organic outdoor mix, 20 bags of local outdoor potting soil, plus whatever native soil gets dug up in the next few weeks (heavy clay and very fertile)...

I want to get it all mixed up together and tested ASAP through buildasoil.com so I know what to amend with but I'm afraid of mixing the old soil with the good. The Black Gold has been sitting uncovered in a pile on the ground since Fall, I wouldnt want to introduce anything harmful and ruin all this hard work. But, then again, the native soil has ALSO been sitting ouside covered in snow and plants grow all over it every spring so maybe I'm overthinking this as usual :biggrin:

Anyway, here is my very rough draft plan for the next 6-8 weeks:
1)Mix soils, test, amend with compost blend and Roots Organics Uprising soil ferts.
2)Till the bed sites down 8-12 inches and construct beds
3) Filled with some bomb ass soil/compost, lay irrigation lines, and cover with mulch
4 )Veg clones for 4-6 weeks while the beds cook then move outdoors gradually, minding day lengths and altering lighting schedule accordingly before the move.
5) Set up wire trellises
6) Let plants recover from transplant then Bi weekly FPE foliars (local nettle and alfalfa, something I've been anxiously waiting to experiment with)
7) Light AACT drenches for an extra kick soil boost
8)Assuming all goes well, chop and hang
9)Nervously wonder how the fuck i'm going to trim this much weed

For cooling I have a few ideas. Definitely installing misters for one. There is a space between the greenhouse and growcabin that can be covered with shade cloth/structure, then that shaded air can be drawn into the greenhouse vents. Earth tubes can be piped in and bring cooled air to the vents as well.

Even considering splurging on T5s, turning the indoor space into a veg/breeding nursery and moving all the HID (6600W) to the greenhouse to get a jump on and later extend the growing season, possibly even going year round.

Like I said, I've never tried anything this scale before. My goal is whittle this down into something almost completely sustainable over the next few years (minus the 10kw of lights and fans) Bubbling with ideas but it's hard to cover all the logistics in my head, so if anyone with more experience has any thing a beginner absolutely has to watch out for/do in preparation for a sizable greenhouse grow I'd love to hear it.

Otherwise, pull up a chair and say hayyy! Main construction starts in 3 weeks, in the meanwhile I'll be pouring through outdoor journals, posting plans and supply lists, goals, test results, soil prep, shameless weed selfies, etc. I'm very new to this community and looking for likeminded folks of all experience levels to connect and share ideas with so please dont be shy!!!

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
good start man...yes you can re use soil...as long as there wasn't bad disease or bugs..ventilation will be key...I have had several greenhouses...

okayyy things are trickling along...pretty snoozy around here just planning and sourcing materials so this will be a little dry

fucked up by using hydrated lime at normal lime rates...flushed he shit out of the moms and it definitely seems to haved helped stop whatever was progressing through the leaves. these white widow weren't affected too badly but you can def see what seems to be a magnesium def? possibly because of the pH swing? never seen this before. anyway the soil reacted with vinegar so i am guessing that is a bad sign lol.
picture.php

lost a couple clones here to some good old fashioned impatience... live and learn
picture.php

picture.php

and my 30 day plan...the seeds started in straight native soil are taking off to my surprise so i shouldnt need very high raised beds. it's loamy but very high in clay so i'll probably end up tilling in a little gypsum and mushroom compost under and 2 feet around the beds. fill with a few inches of super soil and the rest 8-9 inches full of nearby living soil, let them settle for a 6-8 weeks. a local producer is being a total bro and letting me tour his facility as well as some insider sourcing on poop and dirt so i am beyond stoked for that.
picture.php
picture.php

2x1x30' beds along the sides, 3 4x6x1 scrog beds in the middle to experiment with.
"but its outside why would you scrog'"
GH is 5 feet on the sides and 8 in the middle, big bushes in the middle would limit the morning and late afternoon sun for the side rows.

i havent seen much on outdoor scrogging so it seems like a good place to experiment in any case. plan is to LST heavily until the whole bed is almost filled, then let them into a big curved trellis and try to keep them under 4 feet.

oh and strains currently:

White Widow
Bob Marley
Big Black Indica
Gooerry
Blue Dream
Hindu Kush
Big Bud

has anyone used woodchips in their greenhouse? i have a few trees i would like to chop down and cover the entire floor in 6-8 inches of mulch for next year. i read it is very good for clay soil. i left a piece of plastic down all winter and the soil underneath is a much better texture so i imagine a thick layer of wood chips would be of good benefit? or maybe just mulch a big patch out in the woods and have unlimited worm castings for next year...

i am officially obsessed

IT'S SPRING BITCHES

and i'm excited as fuckkkkk

got a local source on all the aged ORGANIC AS HELL goat/chicken/horse manure blend i could ever want for FREE, got manure crop seeds ready to throw, nabbed some bulk kelp/alfalfa meals and dry molasses on sale at the feed store, roots organic uprisings en route with various powdered minerals...total cost this season around 400 for a full soil overhaul that should last years. absolutely lovin this country life right now!!!

here is the most exciting pic i have for you guys right now.

picture.php

to scrog or not to scrog?

okayyy things are trickling along...pretty snoozy around here just planning and sourcing materials so this will be a little dry

fucked up by using hydrated lime at normal lime rates...flushed he shit out of the moms and it definitely seems to haved helped stop whatever was progressing through the leaves. these white widow weren't affected too badly but you can def see what seems to be a magnesium def? possibly because of the pH swing? never seen this before. anyway the soil reacted with vinegar so i am guessing that is a bad sign lol.
View Image

lost a couple clones here to some good old fashioned impatience... live and learn
View Image
View Image

and my 30 day plan...the seeds started in straight native soil are taking off to my surprise so i shouldnt need very high raised beds. it's loamy but very high in clay so i'll probably end up tilling in a little gypsum and mushroom compost under and 2 feet around the beds. fill with a few inches of super soil and the rest 8-9 inches full of nearby living soil, let them settle for a 6-8 weeks. a local producer is being a total bro and letting me tour his facility as well as some insider sourcing on poop and dirt so i am beyond stoked for that.
View ImageView Image

2x1x30' beds along the sides, 3 4x6x1 scrog beds in the middle to experiment with.
"but its outside why would you scrog'"
GH is 5 feet on the sides and 8 in the middle, big bushes in the middle would limit the morning and late afternoon sun for the side rows.

i havent seen much on outdoor scrogging so it seems like a good place to experiment in any case. plan is to LST heavily until the whole bed is almost filled, then let them into a big curved trellis and try to keep them under 4 feet.

oh and strains currently:

White Widow
Bob Marley
Big Black Indica
Gooerry
Blue Dream
Hindu Kush
Big Bud

has anyone used woodchips in their greenhouse? i have a few trees i would like to chop down and cover the entire floor in 6-8 inches of mulch for next year. i read it is very good for clay soil. i left a piece of plastic down all winter and the soil underneath is a much better texture so i imagine a thick layer of wood chips would be of good benefit? or maybe just mulch a big patch out in the woods and have unlimited worm castings for next year...

i am officially obsessed

Please my fellow grower ..../ DO NOT use wood chips!!!!! I have been in the same situation many times and have used ALL kinds of different wood chips. It makes for a pleasant walking /laying under the plants dreaming space. Wood chips harbor bugs of all kinds . They also decompose with moisture and mold. Black mold is not a thing you want in you greenhouse !!! Been there done that .... Its wonderful at first then towards the end of season it starts to affect the grow .

ronbo51

Veteran
Your greenhouse cover looks like it was construction plastic. You need proper greenhouse plastic that diffuses sunlight properly and manages condensation. Also it will not degrade like that and will last several seasons. You can buy floor fabric at gh supply places. That way you can use a broom for room hygiene, otherwise fine gravel for floor.

the roof last year was visqueen poly which i tore down before the standing snow hit., hence the shredding already ordered some poly that is a bit more translucent and string reinforced but it's not optimal, ill see if the greenhouse film can also be ordered. things are a little tricky here in regard to travel and financial logistics so i regularly get vetoed on supplies lol. i've heard a lot of "this is cheaper and should be good enough" which i just work with.

but, with regards to the quality of growth, the plants did fine under the poly last summer so i'm not too worried about it this season. getting that dank organic dirt mixed and loaded into some beds is what i'm focused on atm, as well as filling out the indoor tables. i'll definitely look into the panda poly too

crunch time!!!

the roof last year was visqueen poly which i tore down before the standing snow hit., hence the shredding already ordered some poly that is a bit more translucent and string reinforced but it's not optimal, ill see if the greenhouse film can also be ordered. things are a little tricky here in regard to travel and financial logistics so i regularly get vetoed on supplies lol. i've heard a lot of "this is cheaper and should be good enough" which i just work with.

but, with regards to the quality of growth, the plants did fine under the poly last summer so i'm not too worried about it this season. getting that dank organic dirt mixed and loaded into some beds is what i'm focused on atm, as well as filling out the indoor tables. i'll definitely look into the panda poly too

crunch time!!!

Yea seems silly but it works great . Makes it very clean an d sanitary . I love my greenhouses with panda !! It makes a difference !!

Peace , Oldschool

Like this

Last edited:
consider making the middle 3 beds one long trellised row instead

there are three support posts along the center or else i would just make another row. it's now finalized at four 2'x3'x22' rows, two on each side and the three 4x6 trellised beds down the middle.

@oldschool i cant see your picture, are you talking about white plastic for the floor?

Latest posts

Latest posts