What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

12 shot dead at 'Dark Knight Rises' screening in Aurora, Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
There is a more serious concern for us stoners in this story and no it's not because they found pot in this guy's apartment or something, although given the sheer number of young people that do smoke that's a very real yet irrelevent thing. The real concern though is this. When you think about what direction we've been headed since 9/11 and then try to think of how to stop things like this and then examine what this guy was like, the conclusion is to encourage the public to spy on and report suspicious behavior more. This guy went unnoticed because he was a recluse. Someone that kept mostly to himself and when around others never revealled much info. He was also well educated and studying at graduate level. There wasn't anything that set him apart other then he kept to himself mostly. The only thing one report found was that his neighbors noticed that either earlier that night or the night before he was playing "Techno" music really loud. Now think of how that compares to an important part of the security measures we practice. To avoid the risk of detection we try to keep to ourselves in our communities and not let anyone know too much about us. Bam, now suddenly we're some suspicious nut who might go on a shooting spree if we play music too loud or do anything someone else thinks is unusual.

GetUpStandUp

Wow, just wow. I guess only time will tell, you must think The words may hurt my outlook on any story, the fact you are so confirmed in your facts but not mine, or anyone elses is pretty priceless. Got to love the media.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
We had a massacre here in 1996 (35 shot dead, 23 wounded) by 1 gunman, it was very similar to the recent Norway shooting ... laws immediately changed as a result - it became a hell of a lot harder to purchase a firearm, and the govt also introduced a buyback scheme to get firearms back. Gun-related crime has been reduced massively as a result.

THE EQUATION IS SIMPLE: Less guns = less gun-related crime. More guns = more gun-related crime. (What else are most of the guns going to be used for???)

It fkn scares me when people say "everyone should have a gun, then this would never happen".

Get rid of guns, it's that simple. IT WORKS. Yes, I know you've got the NRA, and the 2nd Amendment. But if you're happy with your "everyone should have a firearm, then this would've been stopped early" stance, then you also should also be happy with these massacres, because they're a direct result of the US having so many guns and making them so easily available -- the Columbine massacre wasn't committed by adults.

So... massacres where an American slaughters dozens of other Americans seem to be acceptable to the US, due to the NRA's support of the 2nd Amendment, so WHAT will it take to actually make a change... a difference... save lives???

WHEN will the right for an innocent person to live their life gain as much importance as the importance for a person to own a gun???

It's not for me to tell my American friends how their gun laws should or shouldn't be, but personally I can't help but feel it's just ridiculous having such lax gun laws, and as a nation you're paying the price for it, bigtime. :(

Last edited:

HempKat

Just A Simple Old Dirt Farmer
Veteran
We had a massacre here in 1996... laws changed as a result - it became a hell of a lot harder to purchase a firearm, and the govt also introduced a buyback scheme to get firearms back. Gun-related crime has been reduced massively as a result.
THE EQUATION IS SIMPLE: Less guns = less gun-related crime.

Get rid of guns, it's that simple. Yes, I know you've got the NRA, and the 2nd Amendment. But if you're happy with your "everyone should have a firearm, then this would've been stopped early" stance, then you also should be happy with these massacres, because they're a direct result of the US having so many guns and making them so easily available -- the Columbine massacre wasn't committed by adults.

So... massacres where an American slaughters dozens of other Americans seem to be acceptable to the US, due to the NRA's support of the 2nd Amendment, so WHAT will it take to actually make a change... a difference... save lives???

When will the right for an innocent person to live their life gain as much importance as the importance for a person to own a gun???

Sorry, but it's just ridiculous, and you're paying the price for it, bigtime. :(

Well the problem is that gun ownership is so tied to our country's origins. If it weren't for everyone owning guns and thereby being able to be turned into a militia and taught that sometimes you need to stand up to government control, even your own. Then the USA would never have been formed and would just be extensions of the British, French and Spanish Empires. So you would never convince the average person to turn in their guns even for money.

DiscoBiscuit

weed fiend
Veteran
We had a massacre here in 1996 (35 shot dead, 23 wounded) by 1 gunman, it was very similar to the recent Norway shooting ... laws immediately changed as a result - it became a hell of a lot harder to purchase a firearm, and the govt also introduced a buyback scheme to get firearms back. Gun-related crime has been reduced massively as a result.

THE EQUATION IS SIMPLE: Less guns = less gun-related crime. More guns = more gun-related crime. (What else are most of the guns going to be used for???)

It fkn scares me when people say "everyone should have a gun, then this would never happen".

Get rid of guns, it's that simple. IT WORKS. Yes, I know you've got the NRA, and the 2nd Amendment. But if you're happy with your "everyone should have a firearm, then this would've been stopped early" stance, then you also should also be happy with these massacres, because they're a direct result of the US having so many guns and making them so easily available -- the Columbine massacre wasn't committed by adults.

WHEN will the right for an innocent person to live their life gain as much importance as the importance for a person to own a gun???

It's not for me to tell my American friends how their gun laws should or shouldn't be, but personally I can't help but feel it's just ridiculous having such lax gun laws, and as a nation you're paying the price for it, bigtime. :(

Well said. I'm glad Australia doesn't have to deal with the daytime drama of the NRA. They didn't used to be nuts but Clinton's assault weapons ban brought it.

Some of our folks pretend that gun restrictions are the same as an outright ban on guns. This effectively rejects baselines of fact, dumbs-down the debate and riles up the gun nuts who might otherwise decide they don't need AR-15s and vest-penetrating bullets to hunt deer.

Last edited:

yortbogey

To Have More ... Desire Less
Veteran
i am gonna pop my last pack of aurora in honor of those poor souls. best wishes to all

that's...words worth sharing.....as for sum of this other crap....NOT

plz stay on topic...folk's....this is about the lost souls of a horrific crime......NOT about U'r individual issues w/ gun control and How too fix America....... STOP the nonsense....

U want too talk about sum-thing.....

talk about the 6 yr old little girl....DEAD, and they cant even release the name because her mother is in the ICU.. PARALYZED...

stay on topic or.....suffer the consequences....

Snoopster

Veteran
that's...words worth sharing.....as for sum of this other crap....NOT

plz stay on topic...folk's....this is about the lost souls of a horrific crime......NOT about U'r individual issues w/ gun control and How too fix America....... STOP the nonsense....

U want too talk about sum-thing.....

talk about the 6 yr old little girl....DEAD, and they cant even release the name because her mother is in the ICU.. PARALYZED...

stay on topic or.....suffer the consequences....

Talk about cake, but not the icing?

RetroGrow

Veteran
12 innocent people were killed and it's a tragedy for sure. But why does it take a mass shooting like this to light up the headlines?
12 people shot dead is an average weekend in Chicago, where it's a war zone 24/7.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
Well said. I'm glad Australia doesn't have to deal with the daytime drama of the NRA.

It was the Port Arthur Massacre that changed gun law ownership here, making it a hell of a lot harder to buy/own a gun, and also introduced a buy-back scheme to take a lot of the guns off the streets.

It worked.

The equation really is very simple -- the less firearms the less firearm-related crimes there will be. It's not rocket science, and it's been proven to work, yet the USA's National Rifle Association (NRA) seems to value their right to own a firearm over anything else, including safety and wellbeing??? It both bewilders and saddens me when people say "see, this is why everyone should have a firearm". You'll never hear that from anybody else from any other western country.

Sorry, it just makes no sense to me, and holy shit are you paying the price for it :(

Collumbine massacre... no changes.

Gabrielle Gifford... no changes.

But at least you can shoot people, that's all that matters right? :/

WHAT WILL IT TAKE to change Americas gun laws to stop these massacres? Because clearly America has said massacres alone aren't enough, which i find personally INSANE.

supermanlives

Veteran
ooh please criminals dont care about laws. you can go into and city and buy guns easilly illegally. they are usually stolen from legal registered owners

Status
Not open for further replies.