What's new

12/12 From Seed: A Different Way To Grow

l33t

Veteran
For a medium length flowering sativa like say, swazi, it takes about 2-3 weeks from seed till the plant shows sex, then will flower and grow for another 12-15 weeks depending on pheno. but some sativa's will go for 20+ weeks, so it depends on the strain..

20 weeks, thats almost half a year :frown:

I grew swazi redbeard(rooi bart) 12/12 from seed and showed sex at day 18-22 , plants finished at 15 weeks from seed.
There are many factors that will affect maturation time. For example for the fastest harvest you need at least 80w/sqft.

Interesting to note : the most sativa looking plant was left in the 1liter starter pots till day 31 from seed while the rest were transplanted to their finals right after showing sex at the end of week 3 from seed.

This most sativa pheno that was root-restricted finished at day ~75-80 from seed , thats 25-30 days faster than the rest plants!

With root restriction though you may need to increase plant numbers per light to compensate as the yields in the restricted plants are less.

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
ssh x ad 12/12 from day 1
The mother of this cross was a 16wk monster.
Father was a GrowDoc Angel Dust that spit pollen in veg.
Amazing straight up strong haze smell
Grown in a 16oz container (3" round x 6" tall)
About 9wks in this shot
picture.php

hoosierdaddy

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If it were me, I would continue with the 6500K bulb until the flowers have well established themselves. The blue light helps to keep the stretch down. Then I would switch to the redder spectrum bulb to finish flowering.

vast530

anyone do any large scale 12/12 from seed?

I've got a decent space & a separate veg chamber, thinking about starting 15 12/12 + vegging 4 (which will get thrown in when im ready with the rest of them).

vast530

ive got 25 h/s all from seeds . finishing/harvest times are being a problem they all want to do there own thing. ive chopped a few that are ready, but a couple are only just getting going. not a problem if you can wait but i wanted to start my next garden asap. i didnt realise they would be so far apart. phenos from 9weeks to i predict 17/18 weeks. just got to hang in there. starting to get a few deficiencies i cant understand there getting all they need, must be nute lock out.. so lots of seeds means staggered harvests for sativas well for me anyway..

Hmm interesting, I've only got two sativa's. mostly working with some Purple indica/sative mix that I crossed with this really nice almost pure indica i had, havent grown these seed's out so no idea whats gonna go down. I think i have the nute situation figured out (this will be my 4th rodeo, i make nice soil mixes). so guess we'll see how mine goes.

they all just popped and in rockwool cubes now..

planning on 15 1 gallon bags with promix/perlite/bonemeal/bloodmeal/Bat guano

fert- big bloom\molasses.

wish me luck!

hspliffed

Nirvana Short Rider 12/12 from seed. Day 70

Nirvana Short Rider 12/12 from seed. Day 70

She is still going.
12/12 Started under cfls and now under hps. Born and raised in an aerogarden.

Attachments

• 101_5089.jpg
    101_5089.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 18
  • 101_5080.jpg
    101_5080.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 101_5064.jpg
    101_5064.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 18

Krull

Soul Feeder
Veteran
Despite what the vendor says Short ryder is NOT a true autoflower, you can find some info on the AF sub-forum. You need 12/12 to trigger the flowering stage.
Nice job hspliffed.

Peace

=K

Hi Fellas,

my next grow will be 12/12 or with a very short veg time. i will grow seeds by cees, and two sat dom hybrids.
as it will be a selection, i need to make cuttings. i dont worry about revegging, but i've seen a lot of plants with little or no side branches grown 12/12.
do you have any idea how to get at least one pair of sidebranches, so i can take som cuttings?
my idea was to veg them till the second pair of leafes is visible, so theres at least one internode... then switch to 12/12.

i will use a metal halide lamp in the first few weeks, do you see any problems with that?

what nutes should i use for 12/12 rom seed...start with bloom..veg..both?...in coco coir/cns17 nutrients..when should i hit them with bloom boosters?

NiteTiger

Tiger, Tiger, burning bright...
Veteran
Hi Fellas,

my next grow will be 12/12 or with a very short veg time. i will grow seeds by cees, and two sat dom hybrids.
as it will be a selection, i need to make cuttings. i dont worry about revegging, but i've seen a lot of plants with little or no side branches grown 12/12.
do you have any idea how to get at least one pair of sidebranches, so i can take som cuttings?
my idea was to veg them till the second pair of leafes is visible, so theres at least one internode... then switch to 12/12.

i will use a metal halide lamp in the first few weeks, do you see any problems with that?

Metal halide is fine, and actually preferred in veg.

Keep in mind, the plant isn't going to flower until it is sexually mature, no matter what the light cycle. You'll have a chance to top to promote some extra branching.

thx for your answer. :thank you:
i'm not going to top, that would mean to much space lost. my space is too limited, plus, i want those fantastic one-bud-colas from bottom to top! ;)

i'll give em ~1 week of veg and hope for some usable cutting material.

another, more theoretical, question:
is there a BIG difference in plant habitus when comparing 12/12 grown plants and those with only a short veg-time?

NiteTiger

Veteran
thx for your answer. :thank you:
i'm not going to top, that would mean to much space lost. my space is too limited, plus, i want those fantastic one-bud-colas from bottom to top! ;)

i'll give em ~1 week of veg and hope for some usable cutting material.

another, more theoretical, question:
is there a BIG difference in plant habitus when comparing 12/12 grown plants and those with only a short veg-time?

Topping would actually save you vertical space, do you mean horizontal spacing? I'm confrused :D

I've found there is a difference, even if the girls only get a week in after they sexually mature. Not much more growth, but you can see it in the end.

Topping would actually save you vertical space, do you mean horizontal spacing? I'm confrused :D

i'm counting on ~15 female plants on a m². so horizontal space is the limiting factor, considering they decide to branch out.
i hope to get plants of about 60-80cm height, as my 400W has a limited reach. in fact, after some grows, i never saw the point in vegging plants that do stretch about 200% (most plants i've grown did).

I've found there is a difference, even if the girls only get a week in after they sexually mature. Not much more growth, but you can see it in the end.

now i am confused. :tiphat: probably my english is too bad.
did you mean: you found a difference in yield, but not so much in overall plant structure/growth/habitus, when giving them one week of vegging time?

or did you mean: there is no big difference in the plants structure comparing no veg to full veg with first signs of maturity, but considerable more yield in the second case?

NiteTiger

Veteran
there is no big difference in the plants structure comparing no veg to full veg with first signs of maturity, but considerable more yield in the second case?

Exactly. Even if they just veg for one week past maturity, you'll see a heavier yield in my opinion. You won't notice it at first, but you'll see it come harvest time.

Exactly. Even if they just veg for one week past maturity, you'll see a heavier yield in my opinion. You won't notice it at first, but you'll see it come harvest time.

i guess that really depends on the plant itself. in my experience, sativa doms get the bigger the more veg they receive. if not in height, then in width.
the point is, i already had about 15 plants in my room, they had enough veg... then i put them in 12/12, everything went "boom" and they took away the light from their partners, were way to branchy ... i'd like to have them smaller. if they yeild less, thats ok. i put out more seeds. but i dont need 400 fuzzybuds of low quality becuz' of little light penetration.

the seeds im going to pop are notoriously vigorous, the strain description says: "give em one week of veg then 12/12", the other strain should be put directly into 12/12. the third strain is double fun, athmosphere grew some great colas in a 12/12 regime.
i guess i give it a try and hope for some nice branches to make cuttings from.

Latest posts

Latest posts