What's new

11"x10" CFL cabinet [nirvana WW][seedsman purple bud][barneys farm blue cheese]

JustDoIt

OrganicOzarks - Buying herb is possibly one of the most annoying things to do IMO. Maybe it's because I don't have a real "dealer" to call on (I don't seem to meet any really, which I'm fine with... nothing against them, I think they provide an honest service/business but just not my social circle) so I've got a couple of friends who will grab me a bag when I need to, but quality and availability is far from reliable... not to mention having to pay 100 bucks for a quarter MINIMUM if it's half decent weed.... so yeah, the solution? grow it myself! haha

Warped, I briefly looked in to the vertical grows that D&B suggested, and it looks like there are several ways to do it including SCROG and SOG, I'm not sure about using the two bulbs though esp with different wattage.

One thing I had thought about before vertical was thrown in to the possibilities pile was just having the 70 on one side of the cab and the 150 on the other, and if I'm doing something perpetual where plants are coming and going on a regular basis, maybe let them sit under the 70 for the first half of the flowering cycle then as the mature plants get harvested and new clones come in, move the plants under the 150 for the second half of the flowering cycle?

That's just one idea I had, not sure if it's the best or most efficient/effective way but would love to hear some other ideas!

What I meant by the stacked vertical grow is, hanging the 150 & 70 vertically inline with each other. Having the 150 on top. Then surrounding the bulbs with plants. No lighting directly above them. With that much sqft you could put 5 or 6 clones around the lamps. Veg would depend on strand but you could pull a good amount of weight from that setup.

Bueno Time

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Those stanley blowers do move alot of air. I have one from my 400 watt grow and on low it was plenty to keep my cab cool.

I am not using it right now because it is overkill for my current setup and also because it is too loud for my current situation.

Good advise by diesel n blood on stacking the 150 and 70 vertically and surrounding with plants.

Those stanley blowers do move alot of air. I have one from my 400 watt grow and on low it was plenty to keep my cab cool.

I am not using it right now because it is overkill for my current setup and also because it is too loud for my current situation.

Good advise by diesel n blood on stacking the 150 and 70 vertically and surrounding with plants.
Good point on the Stanley blower. They aren't the quietest but if it not imprtant there fine.

About the different wattages of the lamps. It isn't really a negative for vertical growing. Put the 150 on top of the 70 and you should have nice buds from bottom to top. Plus you remove alot of the leafs on the backside of the plant.

Vertical is the way to go with that cab. 22" inches of height is going to be eaten up pretty quickly. With horizontal light: 4" of medium, 4" to mount the light and 4" all around the lamp to keep it from burning the buds.

With vert you can have 18" tall plant around the lamps. With bud the Lenght of the plant. And keep the plant incontact with more lumens this way.

JustDoIt

BT - This cabinet is in a basement/workshop so if it's audible it's not the end of the world, though the quieter the better. The blower fan has 3 speed settings, but I was thinking about replacing that switch with a dimmer switch so the fan could be adjusted as needed (beyond 1-2-3-Off), I'm also willing/able to soundproof the other half of the cabinet which is currently and will continue to be used for storage and maybe clones/smaller plants. I'm not sure how, as this whole cabinet idea has really only been brought back to life for a couple of days now, but I've got some room to work with to figure out the best way to keep it quiet.

D&B - I had a feeling you meant putting the 150 on top and the 70w below, it makes a lot of sense now that I'm thinking about it, thanks for the idea!

I guess the next step is figuring out ventilation then?

Would cool tubes be the way to go with this type of vertical setup? Or would the Stanley blower fan be capable of removing the air quick enough that the 150w+70w would be OK by themselves?

I've got lots to learn but I'm really excited with the new direction this grow is heading in :) Thanks so much for all the ideas and suggestions, this grow is gonna be FUN (and future grows will probably be even more fun!)

D&B - I had a feeling you meant putting the 150 on top and the 70w below, it makes a lot of sense now that I'm thinking about it, thanks for the idea!

I guess the next step is figuring out ventilation then?

Would cool tubes be the way to go with this type of vertical setup? Or would the Stanley blower fan be capable of removing the air quick enough that the 150w+70w would be OK by themselves?

I've got lots to learn but I'm really excited with the new direction this grow is heading in :) Thanks so much for all the ideas and suggestions, this grow is gonna be FUN (and future grows will probably be even more fun!)
in the pics I thought you had one cool tube already. If you put the 70w in the tube and just set the 150w just above it, and have the open end of the cool tube near the top. That should pull hot air from the top of the cab and the lamps.

JustDoIt

That tube is cracked and barely staying together, I'd have to buy a new one or two if I'm going to use it.

What about having an exhaust duct right above the lights in the middle of the cabinet, and maybe some fans inside the circle of plants blowing upward? Actually, the cooltube probably makes the most sense so that the plants don't grow too close to the bulbs, would a plexiglass tube be less effective than glass? (I've got one about the same size as the one in that previous pic except longer)

Went down and cleaned up the cabinet and did some mock-up to see what it might look like, don't mind the ghetto rigged hanging job, I'll come up with something better tonight or tomorrow hopefully. And yes, that's a latex glove wrapped around the bulb to keep grease and shit off it.

I'd seen in another thread someone using the same orange juice containers I've been hoarding, beside being clear I think I might use them for this grow, they seem to be a good size, or should I go bigger?
Does it look like 6 plants is a good number?

Also, an update on the plants vegging... cut a clone of each for a friend, and still bending them all down as they grow upwards.... though I'll probably stop now that I know I'm gonna be working in a larger area!

Attachments

• bothcabs.JPG
    bothcabs.JPG
    44.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 005.jpg
    005.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 007.jpg
    007.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 17
I'm liking it. Six plants looks great. With that fan you could probly be fine pulling air from the top. And a small fan puching air up at the lamps. Just use some wire fencing to keep the plants off the lamps. I can't wait to see that cab finished.

JustDoIt

Wire fencing: Check!

I also used some to create a floor above the bottom of the cab where all the intake holes are. It's not permanent yet, I'll probably build a square frame to attach it to w/ supports, but for testing purposes (And because I was anxious to at least see a little progress before calling it a day!) I just stapled it to some wooden blocks. Reduces the height available by about an inch, I might shoot for 1/2" when I make the more permanent frame for the floor though.

Hung the 70w and fired it up to get a pic, my next question is when the 150w arrives how would you guys recommend hanging the two bulbs one on top another? Will it matter if the 150 on top is very close to the cord that goes down to the 70? I can't think of any other way unless the 70w bulb's wires are coming from the bottom?

Thanks!!! :tiphat:

Oh, and after putting the fencing to protect the plants from growing too close to the bulb(s), I threw in two more OJ bottles (which will soon be replaced with plants hopefully!) for a total of 8....

6 or 8? that's the question now! I suppose I could do either or... we'll see! :)

PS... that black box looking thing in the upper left corner of the cab is NOT the ballast, it's just an electrical outlet box that was attached where there isn't any paint but will be moved to the other section of the cabinet where the ballasts and fan and shit will be

Attachments

• IMG_0031.jpg
    IMG_0031.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0033.jpg
    IMG_0033.jpg
    53.2 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:

JustDoIt

Just thought of one possible way to deal with my light bulb cord issue! With the wire fence tube thing in place, I could probably just run the cord down the fence material and attach it with zip ties, then just go over to the bulb from the side.... I could even hang the bulb that way, with something going across the center to hang the bulb socket(s) from... probably not the best verbal description so here's a crappy drawing:

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    61.6 KB · Views: 16
Wire fencing: Check!

I also used some to create a floor above the bottom of the cab where all the intake holes are. It's not permanent yet, I'll probably build a square frame to attach it to w/ supports, but for testing purposes (And because I was anxious to at least see a little progress before calling it a day!) I just stapled it to some wooden blocks. Reduces the height available by about an inch, I might shoot for 1/2" when I make the more permanent frame for the floor though.

Hung the 70w and fired it up to get a pic, my next question is when the 150w arrives how would you guys recommend hanging the two bulbs one on top another? Will it matter if the 150 on top is very close to the cord that goes down to the 70? I can't think of any other way unless the 70w bulb's wires are coming from the bottom?

Thanks!!! :tiphat:

Oh, and after putting the fencing to protect the plants from growing too close to the bulb(s), I threw in two more OJ bottles (which will soon be replaced with plants hopefully!) for a total of 8....

6 or 8? that's the question now! I suppose I could do either or... we'll see! :)

PS... that black box looking thing in the upper left corner of the cab is NOT the ballast, it's just an electrical outlet box that was attached where there isn't any paint but will be moved to the other section of the cabinet where the ballasts and fan and shit will be

That looks great. I'd stay with 6 plant for now. 8 may over crowd the lamps. About hanging. The easiest would be to hang the 150 from a piece of scrap steel attached to the socket by the holes in the socket. Make the piece wide enought to hang more chain from it to the 70w. Both cords would come down from the top. Make sure to attach the cords to the chains to keep the safe. Good luck and it looks great. Now time to hook up the fan and start light proofing.

JustDoIt

Great idea about the steel to hang the chain from! I hadn't thought about that possibility! And I do have scrap metal lying around, I'll wait for the 150 to show up before drilling anything just in case the socket is different than the one I've got already!

First time around with this setup will just be the 4 plants I've got now (minus any males), but next round I'll try 6. I hear what you're saying about being too crowded, it's easier to fit a bunch more in there when it's in my imagination I guess, but a little breathing room would probably be better than a bunch of plants crammed into a small area.

As for hooking up the fan, I'm wondering what the best way would be? From what I understand, carbon filters are more effective if the air is being sucked through them before going in to the fan. I'm going to make a DIY filter, do you think it would be better to have the filter in the flowering cabinet, or just suck the air out of the cabinet and have the filter in the utility cabinet?

As for hooking up the fan, I'm wondering what the best way would be? From what I understand, carbon filters are more effective if the air is being sucked through them before going in to the fan. I'm going to make a DIY filter, do you think it would be better to have the filter in the flowering cabinet, or just suck the air out of the cabinet and have the filter in the utility cabinet?
If making a diy filter, it would be easier to keep the filter in the utility cabinet. That's less mass in the cab to Absorb and retain heat. Do a quick search on diy scrubbers and a couple good ones should pop up. If you can't find any let me know and I'll post them.

JustDoIt

Cool....
Yeah I've built a DIY scrubber based on a post from this forum before for my last grow and it worked fairly well (considering I cut some corners), I'm going to do a better job this time around..... Todays project!

JustDoIt

Thanks, Warped! :tiphat:

So my project for today was building the carbon scrubber, I pretty much followed the DIY pro style carbon filter thread here on ICMag except rather than using the quilt filler material I used leftover odor eliminating HVAC filters I had from the 11x10 cabinet this thread started out as. I've still gotta fill it with the carbon chunks, but I shouldn't be needing odor protection for another few weeks, so I'm gonna get that off the web (cheaper than the pet store)

It's 6" id 7" od and 17.5" long (the actual filter area, not counting the cap and the reducer.

I also fitted a duct outlet to the Stanley blower fan.

Overall not a bad day, the 150 should be here in the next 2-3 days so I can get started rigging that up, so tomorrow I'm gonna hopefully finish up the ventilation system in the cabinet. :jump:

One of the things I'd like to do also is build a container for the blower fan, something with proper ventilation for the motor to breath but insulated to reduce noise. Any thoughts or ideas regarding that?
Thanks!

:wave:

Attachments

• IMG_0034.jpg
    IMG_0034.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0036.jpg
    IMG_0036.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0038.jpg
    IMG_0038.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0040.jpg
    IMG_0040.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 16
Using that filter you probly going to have to mount to top of the can not inside the utility cab. Try to mount if as close to centered over the vertical lamps. Great job. I'm glad you are using the search functions and reading before posting ?'s.

Edit: may have to mount the filter on top behind the lamps to keep the height avail. To keep lamps where you want the.

JustDoIt

Hey Dan, thanks for stopping by! I think "fun" is the perfect word to describe micro-growing, it's a little bit of a challenge, you have to think outside the box (err... inside the box? haha), a lot of DIY stuff, and I've certainly seen some micro grows on this site that crank out enough to keep a personal supply well stocked... especially since I've started reading through some micro vertical grows... You should give it a shot! Even just a simple cabinet with some CFL's and PC fans, I bet you'll have fun even building it! :)

D&B, whatcha mean? I'd have no problem tucking the filter up in the top rear corner of the flowering cabinet if it needs to be done that way, but I'm curious why you don't think this type of filter would be better off in the utility side?
I'm not married to the idea of having it in the utility cab, and certainly it wouldn't be the end of the world if changes had to be made if one setup doesn't work good, but what about keeping the filter in the utility cab and running the flex duct from the fan over into the flowering side right over to above the bulbs so the hot air gets blown upwards with the help of a fan or two at the bottom beneath the bulbs and sucked right out and pushed through the filter?

Is it because this type of filter works best if the air is sucked through it rather than blown out of it?

Thanks!!!

JustDoIt said:
D&B, whatcha mean? I'd have no problem tucking the filter up in the top rear corner of the flowering cabinet if it needs to be done that way, but I'm curious why you don't think this type of filter would be better off in the utility side?
I'm not married to the idea of having it in the utility cab, and certainly it wouldn't be the end of the world if changes had to be made if one setup doesn't work good, but what about keeping the filter in the utility cab and running the flex duct from the fan over into the flowering side right over to above the bulbs so the hot air gets blown upwards with the help of a fan or two at the bottom beneath the bulbs and sucked right out and pushed through the filter?

Is it because this type of filter works best if the air is sucked through it rather than blown out of it?

Thanks!!!
All fans are more effeicent sucking rather that pushing air. You did a great job building the filter, I guess when we were discussing it I was thinking about a square type filter in the utility cab. I believe that with the amount of air that fan can pull you should be alright. Even if you mount it against the wall right above the utility cab opening. This will all be good. When you going to start flowering you plants?