What's new

11" headroom enough for 250w reverse scrog?

ItGrows

Can any of you guys fit a gallon of water in a 1 half gallon container? Think about that for a while. Clearly I was being a bit sarcastic. That is WAY more light than his plant can absorb. one 42w cfl vertical. vs his 250hps in same cab. The 42w cfl's gpw would probably be about 5-10x as high... But like I said before FB edited my post. PROVE ME WRONG! I cant wait to see this grow!

Good Luck ItGrows is out

Eol

Thanks for the help guys, there's some difference of opinion I can see - most worryingly from mtnjohn, who is an expert in these sort of cab grows.

If need be I'll have to buy some bushmaster and use that to keep them a decent distance away. Alternatively I can always downsize to a 150w, though I'd rather not after buying all the 250w gear!

Once my CMH bulb arrives this week I'll get a journal going in here, keep an eye out!

ElGato

Veteran
i'm not saying it cant be done bro

i'm just saying that 11" of height is really really minimal with that kinda light, you're going to be hard pressed to keep it cool and make it work proper

in a system like your's my recomendation would be:
first off...i'd ditch the hydro and go with coco or promix/etc you'll eliminate alot of problems with this one step
2nd...i'd try to hang that bulb vert style and grow around it>>>circular vertical scrog
...making the absolute most use of the height available
3rd...if you dont do a vert system^^^like that...if there is any way to change the position of your cooltube from side to side ...to front-back? you'll make much better use of the light for your space

bottom line is imho you need more height and less light

just my 2¢

mj

Eol

mntjohn, thanks so much, those are amazing ideas! I've done some research and I'm going to follow your suggestions - hempy buckets in a vertical scrog.

My cooltube just fits (with the ducting) when hung vertically, so I think that's a good omen ;)

Also means I can return my expensive airpump and not have to worry about the noise it makes, nor do I have to worry about rez temps anymore =D

Thanks again, can't rep you enough!

justinb721

I love it. Lots of light in a small space! Def go vertical if you can. You will have mature solid buds from the bottom to the top of each plant instead of just large buds on top. All with minimal amount of training. Whatever you decide, I cant wait to see how it plays out.

crunkyeah

Veteran
I'm in agreement with all of the users here saying you need less light and more height. Going vertical, you couldn't make a better decision!

You greatly increase the amount of available surface area for plant material, may be able to take away cooltube and use some netting so the plants don't grow into the bulb. If not though, the cooltube is a nice idea. With vertical you're also having heat being easier to manage. Heat rises, reflectors and the sort love to trap heat, but with vertical the bulb becomes that much easier to cool.

I think I read something about you having a mother plant in a PC case or something? If I were you I would find a plant that is a single cola structure type deal. Grow it out to maturity, and then take like 5-6 clones. Root them and then put em in like 1 gallon milk jugs or something small, and you'll have a bumper crop. The problem I see with minimal space grows like this, is that most have to do 12/12 from seed(or WAY before the plant is sexually mature). I've been told sexually mature plants will outperform immature plants any day of the week, and from what I've seen this couldn't be more true.

Personally, if I was using HID like that, I would be looking at a final yield for a 250w to be around 100g dried of primo stuff. It seems so odd to me that people try the horizontal route and hinder their surface area for plant material so much that the only thing that they get out of a 250 is like an oz and a half.

Have you gotten anything going recently with this? I see it's been a couple weeks since ya last posted.

Eol

Cheers for the interest guys,

Currently I have five sour diesel babies vegging under a 150w blue cfl hung vert. I am still waiting for my cmh bulb to arrive (been two $%£#ing months now!), so I haven't been able to test to see if temps with 250w will be too hot. Temps are currently between 70-74f.

I'm going to top and then flower the tops so I can sex the plants and remove the males and then train the females into a cylindrical scrog around the vertically hung bulb.

I'll be getting a journal going so in here so keep an eye out =)