What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

11/13 Flowering Light cycle recommended by DJ Short

Tonygreen

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ever since I saw dj and subcools talk at the emerald cup 2013 I stopped listening to all them.

asaf

Very good post!

It is obvious, if photoperiod can make one female or male hermaphrodite.....

If cold can make cannabis to change the color....

Why it cannot make to emerge other characteristics?

What are the other important conditionals that make changes in phenotype?

I think DJ Short provide only good information, common sense and ofcourse good strains.

Thanks!

CoCoSativas

I came across an DJ Short interview by Grantland.com. If you haven't read it heres the link. Its a good read.:
http://www.grantland.com/story/_/id/9825376/a-trip-hempfest-pioneering-cannabis-breeder-dj-short

In the article, DJ Short recommends a 11/13 light cycle for flowering instead of 12/12. Here's what he said:

"Short said, and slowed down his voice: "For your bud cycle: 11 hours on, 13 off. OK? What will happen first and foremost is that you will see phenotypic expressions that you will never see with the 12/12."

What's your thoughts? Anyone have personal experience with growing 11/13? See any difference between 12/12 and 11/13?

I use this for several reasons. I grow sativas and its more like their natural light cycle. Dj is right it reveals interesting variation 12/12 dosent. It saves power (not much but it adds up), its a hour less time the plants spent during warm parts of the day (a hour farther into the night its always cooler) little less ballast and bulb depreciation (everything adds up) it really just makes sense to me. Im pretty sure I first saw it in djs book (everyone should own this book)

GET MO

Registered Med User
Veteran
it all depends on difference in yield. If you run a 2k system and get even 2 ounces less than your loosing money.

CoCoSativas

it all depends on difference in yield. If you run a 2k system and get even 2 ounces less than your loosing money.

I have never found a lower yield using one less hour a day. 12/12 is pretty rare in nature (costa rica is though ) but not that many places. I dont find 12/12 yields anything different, and most sativas actually flower slower. In nature they get 13/11 for veg and 11/13 for flower... ive heard a couple people say a few landraces they tried didnt start to flower properly on 12/12. The nepalis I have will flower on 12/12 but I trust the guys who said they had problems

SpaceJunkOG

11.5/12.5 here

same here. also made this decision after reading DJ's book.

sole purpose was "bringing out the sativa" as he put it.

One thing I have been experimenting with is:

Researching the climate and day lengths in the region that the plant's genetics are from (for example growing Power Plant i did a written log of climate / daylight stats in Durban, SA, as it's a South African-based strain). Also its latitude position so I can compare to other places. I will try and replicate the exact conditions of the outdoor environment in which the strain's dominant genetics are from, including hours of visible daylight. so for example here I did one specifically for Power Plant / Durban, and a couple more for strains i was growing or planning to grow...
3ymlFSVAgAABAgQIECBAgAABAjUEhO8ac9YlAQIECBAgQIAAAQIECCQKCN+J+EoTIECAAAECBAgQIECAQA0B4bvGnHVJgAABAgQIECBAgAABAokCwncivtIECBAgQIAAAQIECBAgUENA+K4xZ10SIECAAAECBAgQIECAQKKA8J2IrzQBAgQIECBAgAABAgQI1BAQvmvMWZcECBAgQIAAAQIECBAgkCggfCfiK02AAAECBAgQIECAAAECNQSE7xpz1iUBAgQIECBAgAABAgQIJAoI34n4ShMgQIAAAQIECBAgQIBADQHhu8acdUmAAAECBAgQIECAAAECiQLCdyK+0gQIECBAgAABAgQIECBQQ+AXh6m8l6dBTG0AAAAASUVORK5CYII=

Who knows if it makes a difference or really brings out the original vibe of the strain, but i thought it would be a cool thing to try. I haven't done any side-by-sides with 12/12 so I can't say what affect it has had, if any. i just used a basic weather website to get this info if anybody else has the urge to try this for themselves.

SpaceJunkOG

perrrrty sure i did the wrong season for South Africa there, . . . . 30 degrees south means their growing season is probably opposite, like Oct - April or something, . . .. DOH! i'll be fixing that.

asaf

If you have problems with the numeric abstraction layer or finding data on the web, thinking in Thailand ie. you can use celestia.

I use it, is useful for me. Celestia running in Slackware with radeon free drivers

You can go any site any date and manipulate the time.

Ie. go to Bangkok at 1 May 1990 > 31 Dec 1990

picture.php

picture.php

:tiphat:

asaf

I'm always veg 18/6 flo 12/12 but in my next plantation I will check this light cycle, In veg what photoperiod? How do you make the change from veg to flo? gradually?, what types of light?

I have an old bag of f13 and I'm thinking veg 14/10 and flo 11/13
as Dropped Cat.

Start with cfl > hm in veg and in flo hps.

Is important emulate photoperiod in veg? I think yes but I haven't it clear.

Is full cycle elongated? ie. if f13 veg 30 days + flo around 60 days How many time with photoperiod 11/13?

I'm also thinking in change the angle of light in one change per month.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html[/FONT]

I have two elections Oaxaca and Thailand and I chose Thailand but the light time in Thailand Bangkok go from 12:37 in May, start decrease in July and end in Dec at 11:19

What I make with vegetative growth?

Thanks!

Miraculous Meds

I'm always veg 18/6 flo 12/12 but in my next plantation I will check this light cycle, In veg what photoperiod? How do you make the change from veg to flo? gradually?, what types of light?

I have an old bag of f13 and I'm thinking veg 14/10 and flo 11/13
as Dropped Cat.

Start with cfl > hm in veg and in flo hps.

Is important emulate photoperiod in veg? I think yes but I haven't it clear.

Is full cycle elongated? ie. if f13 veg 30 days + flo around 60 days How many time with photoperiod 11/13?
I'm also thinking in change the angle of light in one change per month.
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]http://solarelectricityhandbook.com/solar-angle-calculator.html[/FONT]

I have two elections Oaxaca and Thailand and I chose Thailand but the light time in Thailand Bangkok go from 12:37 in May, start decrease in July and end in Dec at 11:19

What I make with vegetative growth?

Thanks!

10 hours of dark in veg in going to start flowering. so if u want to start flowering right away that's ok. if u want some veg time on them before u start flower, then u need to interrupt the dark cycle every 5 or 6 hours. so most people run veg like 18/6, 20/4 or even 24 hrs a day.

so if u want a reduced veg time of 14 hours, u can run 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off. that's what I do when I got plenty of time to veg before flower. works well with the 11/13 schedule. have had personal best yields doing it this way.

most my strains finish maybe a couple days quicker than 12/12.

my flo cut finishes in 49 to 51 days after inducing 11/13. gl

BrainSellz

Veteran
10 hours of dark in veg in going to start flowering. so if u want to start flowering right away that's ok. if u want some veg time on them before u start flower, then u need to interrupt the dark cycle every 5 or 6 hours. so most people run veg like 18/6, 20/4 or even 24 hrs a day.

so if u want a reduced veg time of 14 hours, u can run 12 on, 5 off, 2 on, 5 off. that's what I do when I got plenty of time to veg before flower. works well with the 11/13 schedule. have had personal best yields doing it this way.

Wacky...but whatever works I guess.

asaf

Thank you very much!

I start from seed and I'm thinking in a vegetative period of one month, I'm also think to make one clone per plant.

I'm include two or three more indica plants, I'm thinking in peyote purple, I'd like to see how this plants are affected with this photoperiod and also I'd like some females, the pp have an elevated % of females and the f13 have a low rate of females, the seeds have around seven years.... so difficult maths...

I heard it takes 2 hours for a plant to shut off its photosynthesis aka fall asleep. So if you did 12/12 it will only get 10 hours of sleep, just enough to induce flowering, maybe that extra hour of sleep would increase the hormones of the plant and bring out the phenotype expressions he talks about...

Also Iheard a 15 min flash of far red light before lights out put them to sleep right away. So you get an extra almost 2 hours of sleep. So you could do 12/12 and get the same effect as 11/13?

Miraculous Meds

Thank you very much!

I start from seed and I'm thinking in a vegetative period of one month, I'm also think to make one clone per plant.

I'm include two or three more indica plants, I'm thinking in peyote purple, I'd like to see how this plants are affected with this photoperiod and also I'd like some females, the pp have an elevated % of females and the f13 have a low rate of females, the seeds have around seven years.... so difficult maths...

that f13 looks like a special strain. good luck with the project. share ur results of what happened.

Latest posts

Latest posts