What's new

1000gal smartpot WTF?

Z

Z-ro

First of all I wouldnt even consider for a second, going for containers that large unless you are getting full unobstructed sunlight from sunrise to sunset.... youll get a better harvest if you give your plants a proper start versus just dumping them in a gang load of soil. at that point youd be better off just putting them in the ground or mounds even. plants that are over wintered for months prior to being put outside will perform poorly in comparison to younger smaller plants. you can get 10 lb plants in the right conditions in 300 gallons of soil, no need for any more than that imo, if you still need more yeild per plant, maybe consider multi cropping. I realize most people are adhering to plant count numbers, but like OO said, 5x200 or 10x100 will absolutely crush 1x1000 in both yield and quality, if given a choice Id take more smaller plants over less bigger plants every single time.

S

SeaMaiden

Plant count is now an issue for many, if not most California growers now. It is for me the first time this year, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna do what I need to do.

mendo420

Veteran
, if given a choice Id take more smaller plants over less bigger plants every single time.

WTF?

Ill take bigger plants every time over smaller plants.

This thread has inspired me.
I'm going to get a 1000 smarty! Let see what it will do.

Does anyone know how much a 300 gal plastic container is?
They are bank.
Smart pots are inexpensive and work great.
They are 1/4 the cost of plastic containers.
They have bottoms!!!

Do any of you have to deal with gophers?
Holes in the ground are serving up a meals for these rodents.

Has any one dug down 20" into the ground?
Where I am. Its clay and rock and with out a backhoe it's back breaking work.

Others are in swamps where you would get root rot form over watering if they were in holes.

I think everyone can agree.
More roots = bigger plant
Saving $ = more $ for you

AERO heres to you!
:tiphat:

S

SeaMaiden

Gophers and voles here, raised beds lined with hardware cloth. It's an incredibly simple and effective solution to that problem.

You must have missed my calculations in my previous post. I'm in the camp that says that you don't need that much volume for one plant, based on my experiences with raised beds.

Z

Z-ro

WTF?

Ill take bigger plants every time over smaller plants.

This thread has inspired me.
I'm going to get a 1000 smarty! Let see what it will do.

Ill tell you right now it cant do what 3 plants in 300s will do thats a fact. and it will be much harder to maintain.

Abja Roots

ABF(Always Be Flowering) - Founder
Veteran
I've always preferred the finished product from the smaller plants. I've never seen finished product from those 10+lb plants that was better than the herb from the smaller plants. It seems like it gets blown out. It might just be my experience and the samples that I've seen. I much prefer the smaller 200 gallon pots. It's much less invested in each pot, and if you lose a plant for whatever reason, it's not as significant.

There's no way to know unless you do it. So I'm sure we'll see more of these this year.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
I guarantee I can out grow a 1000 gal pot with smaller pots no problem. Like I said, I have grown 4 pound plants in 65 gallon containers. Unless you can literally grow a 60 pound plant in that 1000 gal container you stand no chance. However, if you are only allowed 12 plants, then the extra soil makes it well worth doing.

praisehim.

Veteran
Plant count is now an issue for many, if not most California growers now. It is for me the first time this year, and I'm wondering how I'm gonna do what I need to do.

veg, veg, veg em out ! start veggin indoors before the season starts...

S

SeaMaiden

veg, veg, veg em out ! start veggin indoors before the season starts...
No can do this year, lost ALL cuts post-surgery in late October. For the first time in several years I'm doing this year's grow using nothing but seed starts, and those have only just popped. The knee is well on its way to recovery, but I just couldn't do the upstairs-downstairs thing back in January when it needed to be started.

Which is a real shame, because IF I'd been able to do cuts along with seed starts, plant count would not be an issue.

This thread needs a poll, IMO. Four or five years now in the raised bed planters shows me that 1,000gal's for a single plant is overkill. Every year I do a dozen in the planter that's just over 700gals, every year without working at it very hard I can pull an average of 4lbs/plant. Last year I did the same thing in planters that are significantly less volume, and I did it with an injury that made just watering difficult.

Not to mention, what's the circumference of a 1,000gal SP? I'd have to climb into the thing to handle the plants.

OrganicBuds

Veteran
Let me also add that most strains would not fill the 1000 for sure. You would have to have a beast, like blue dream, grown to its full potential before you even start talking about 1000 gallons being necessary.

serious6

seamaiden; do you not have a wand to feed with? you can set up res. near each bed and mix! then by water submersible pump you can water/feed by wand. if no electricity you can gravity feed the mix from an elevated platform tank.

serious6

EZ CLONER

EZ CLONER

with this cloner you can buy the 120 site and mass produce clones. note: keep the water temps warm and aim the jets to hit the sides of the tank not the roots themselves. they will feed off the mist like humidity. i did mine with a 400w M.H.

Aeroguerilla

I’m God’s solider, devil’s apostle
Veteran
I just got the 1000gal smartpot in today. This thing is trully a beast but its not as big as i thought. the plant will have NO PROBLEM filling this container. i have a 45 gal smartpot with a LVPK under 1000w MH its been veggin for about 6 weeks now im sure she will fill the 1000 no problem!! it may be overkill but hey what the hell its all in good fun right

stihgnobevoli

Veteran
Stihgnobevoli you should put one of your beasts in a 1000gal smart pot.

I think you could get 1 or 2 ounces out of it.

im sure i could get more than that if i went above the 70watts i use. you guys slay me like yield is everything when growing weed.