What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1000 Watt 9 Plant Recirculating DWC Recovering from Evil Hydro Hut

MF Grimm

Would love to hear what your final yield was, even if it's just an approximate. Beautiful grow, sir. You and the girlfriend deserve many kudos on that.

simpleword

THanks for the kind words guys!

Wonderon: I just hung some panda plastic, it was in a lightproof room anyway.

MF Grimm: Yield was a few grams short of 2 pounds and about 60 grams of some decent bubble hash.

Bush Grower

simpleword said:
Thanks guys!

phatty: I want to do less plants so I can deal with less water and nutrients, as well as being able to have more plants in my mother closet (legally).

drymouth: The smoke is soooooo smooth it's ridiculous, took a few hits uncured this morning! Very nice high.

Well despite my efforts to slow the drying process down, the unrelenting dry air of this Mediterranean climate sucked all the moisture out of the nugs within 5 days. 2 of those in paper bags. Of course today it's raining to no end. High last Saturday was 96f, high yesterday was 49f. Hmmmm. Well anyway despite the >20% humidity things are looking beautiful.

The first haul yielded around 430 grams with about 30-40 percent yet to be harvested. The middle plant seriously had 10 of the 20 huge colas. The dankest most frosted plant was left completely untouched and will go until tomorrow or Monday (day 63 or 64).

Anyone like nug shots?

16264nugs.jpg

16264nugs3.jpg

16264dry.jpg

16264tulip.jpg

Nice Tulip man.. I love rollin' those when I have a lot of weed. Looks like a succesful harvest, congrats!

I got a query that I hope doesn't come across as criticism because maybe there's a reason that I'm not aware of but never the less I gotta ask.

Why the return pipe back to the reservoir at ground (or low) level?

I've been bubbling for near on 10 years now in 60l buckets and I've always had the the return pipes back to reservoir as an overflow at the desired water level.

The only advantage I can think of myself is that you can control your water height for all buckets by your resorvoir height? Perhaps it's the theory that water enters from the top and drains from the bottom so you mix it good rather than just run in at the top and flow straight out? (If so, I actually pump my water in deep and it flows out the top so you get the same effect in reverse anyway.)

The disadvantages I see with returns down low is that everything absolutely has to be plumbed in solid. With an overflow style return I just use a gromet and standard L piece (with the barb filed off so it just pops in and out) plugged into 19mm pipe - don't have to worry about leaks as much... or at all actually... as my return isn't under that much pressure (imagine a 60l drum, there's 60k's of water pressure down low as opposed to nearly nil at water level), don't have to worry about roots diving for the retrun pipe (I do have to still check, but the roots are more busy diving for my airstones than hanging around on the surface to clog up my return pipe). Cleaning everything it just pops out, dump, rinse and clean and straight back in - I imaging with the return pipes down low you'd have to first drain the entire system and then "unplumb" everything or do it all in situ, am I right?

This is by no means meant as a criticism because surfing here today after an absence of over a year I've seen pics of plenty of DWC's with the same set-up and it's just puzzled me, this threads at the top so this threads where i ask the question.

Unless there's some reason that's lost on me I just reckon the maintenance must be double or more the work and I do wonder about root clogging - my roots would dive straight down there for me airstones and end up being sucked straight in.

Last edited:

simpleword

I got a query that I hope doesn't come across as criticism because maybe there's a reason that I'm not aware of but never the less I gotta ask.

Why the return pipe back to the reservoir at ground (or low) level?

I've been bubbling for near on 10 years now in 60l buckets and I've always had the the return pipes back to reservoir as an overflow at the desired water level.

The only advantage I can think of myself is that you can control your water height for all buckets by your resorvoir height? Perhaps it's the theory that water enters from the top and drains from the bottom so you mix it good rather than just run in at the top and flow straight out? (If so, I actually pump my water in deep and it flows out the top so you get the same effect in reverse anyway.)

The disadvantages I see with returns down low is that everything absolutely has to be plumbed in solid. With an overflow style return I just use a gromet and standard L piece (with the barb filed off so it just pops in and out) plugged into 19mm pipe - don't have to worry about leaks as much... or at all actually... as my return isn't under that much pressure (imagine a 60l drum, there's 60k's of water pressure down low as opposed to nearly nil at water level), don't have to worry about roots diving for the retrun pipe (I do have to still check, but the roots are more busy diving for my airstones than hanging around on the surface to clog up my return pipe). Cleaning everything it just pops out, dump, rinse and clean and straight back in - I imaging with the return pipes down low you'd have to first drain the entire system and then "unplumb" everything or do it all in situ, am I right?

This is by no means meant as a criticism because surfing here today after an absence of over a year I've seen pics of plenty of DWC's with the same set-up and it's just puzzled me, this threads at the top so this threads where i ask the question.

Unless there's some reason that's lost on me I just reckon the maintenance must be double or more the work and I do wonder about root clogging - my roots would dive straight down there for me airstones and end up being sucked straight in.

You are correct about being able to control the water height that way. It's nice but it is kind of a pain to maintain. I've never had any type of root clogging though. It's definitely a good system. The biggest problem I've had is forgetting to turn off the hose when filling the res, only happened once last grow though, still sucks.

At any rate I am getting ready to take the room for another spin. Didn't have it running since the last grow because I wasn't sure if I'd be living here still, but I guess I am so it's another round for me!

Got around a thousand bucks to make some upgrades here. I'm thinking of going with an 8 inch fan this time for the light (since it's an 8 inch hood). I need a new carbon scrubber. I'm gonna strip the carpet out of the room and cover the floor with pond liner and panda plastic the whole room. Got some WW and Hindu Skunk clones rooting right now and think I may go with the HS just so I can perfect this strain. I think 2+ pounds per 1k with this strain won't be difficult at all.

If anyone has any suggestions for upgrades or anything let me know!

simpleword

Well the tent is trashed, it shall never see the light of day again. But there's gonna be some dankness where it used to be.

bron2k

props!!

props!!

wasup simple! props on the setup and the nugs. i'm actually doing the same setup as you but got a few more lights. man how the hell did you get almost 2lbs without no co2 and any additves? you think the recurculating had a big part of the good yeild? i tried using that liquid karma and it left residue all over my roots. is that normal? how big did you veg them babies to? and did you prune most of the bottoms and just only had top colas? sorry for all the questions but i'm trying to get 2lbs per 1k and it's tough as shit.. so congrats on your setup bro. if you have any good advice please let me know. i have the exact same setup but using co2 and AN nutes. thanks bro!!

Scenario420

Yes very nice grow indeed, that is very impressive to reach close to 2lbs. with 1k watts...what nutes and any additives did you use?