What's new

100% male with feminized seeds?

Yagar2000

Hi, I am posting this message because I have just come across a real male with feminized seeds by surprise and I would like to know if it is viable to be used to make seeds, what would happen? Will I have regular seeds or will they be feminized? Because two females give exclusively female offspring but the 1% chance of having a male remains very rare... and is it special? I have trouble understanding how with female chromosomes I can have a male, is it a pure male? It’s such a shame, I’m giving all my hope to this plant, it’s magnificent and growing super fast, I really wanted to keep it for its spectacular growth.

(it's a real male and not a hermaphrodite, no pistil, only male organs for pre-flowers)

goingrey

This is how the famous strain Peyote Purple from Cannabiogen came about.

But they sold the ensuing "regular" seeds as 95% female.

Makes me think it was not a real male but just a hermie that expressed towards the male side very heavily. But what do I know, certainly not how the chromosomes looked under a microscope..

Anyway, there have been many arguments about this. With people being convinced both ways.

Yagar2000

what strain is it?
It's strawberry gum (bubblegum X Strawberry) I launched 2 seeds which gave me excellent weed on the effect and a perfect taste and good growth I had no herma and on the 3 current seeds apart from the male they are all females I will check more carefully from now on

Yagar2000

This is how the famous strain Peyote Purple from Cannabiogen came about.

But they sold the ensuing "regular" seeds as 95% female.

Makes me think it was not a real male but just a hermie that expressed towards the male side very heavily. But what do I know, certainly not how the chromosomes looked under a microscope..

Anyway, there have been many arguments about this. With people being convinced both ways.
Thank you for your message, it's interesting, I'm going to try to find out about this famous purpe peyote from what I understand, I have a chance that pollen gives me feminized ones? If so I would be cool

Do you know where I could find where he talks about it?

Tynehead Tom

pretty sure @Chunkypigs male Cookie Boi was a male S1 found in OGKB 2.0 bagseed. The brother of that ic420 cup winning clone.
Not finding hermaphrodites or even mild intersex expression in the OGKB 2.0 or the Scoutbreath (ogkb 2.0 x cookie boi) or subsequent Fgens leads me to believe he was a very strong and dominant S1 male.
Not sure if chunkypigs held on to that belief in his own observations but I think it may be a possibility as I work those lines further and seeing what I am seeing.

igrowone

Veteran
It's strawberry gum (bubblegum X Strawberry) I launched 2 seeds which gave me excellent weed on the effect and a perfect taste and good growth I had no herma and on the 3 current seeds apart from the male they are all females I will check more carefully from now on
excellent effect and taste, that's the deal maker
using a peculiar plant has its risks, but if you see the traits that you otherwise want then it's a good risk
I've seen a male from my own feminized pollen chucks, it's a marvel of nature for sure

chilliwilli

Waterboy
Hi, I am posting this message because I have just come across a real male with feminized seeds by surprise and I would like to know if it is viable to be used to make seeds, what would happen? Will I have regular seeds or will they be feminized? Because two females give exclusively female offspring but the 1% chance of having a male remains very rare... and is it special? I have trouble understanding how with female chromosomes I can have a male, is it a pure male? It’s such a shame, I’m giving all my hope to this plant, it’s magnificent and growing super fast, I really wanted to keep it for its spectacular growth.

(it's a real male and not a hermaphrodite, no pistil, only male organs for pre-flowers)
I had this with muay thai from flash seeds. Never tried the muay thai f2 but i grew seedsman auto white widow x muay thai and got a male dominate line, ~2/3 of the plants were male.
Because of the autoflower genes from both parents i couldn't clone them.
I hit a good clone only(can't remember if trainwreck or core cut) with the pollen but only tried one seed and this was outstanding.

Just try to make seeds with it and let us know the outcome. Most will tell don't breed with it but imo there is a possibility of something nice.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I can't believe that after all the hours so many of us have spent explaining this, that there are still people who think you can get males from female only crosses. Not possible folks. Been over it a hundred times, so many threads, read some stuff, learn, if you have a box of ping pong balls, there aren't any tennis balls in there. Stop telling people you're finding tennis balls when you open a box that only has ping pong balls in it. Either it doesn't or you didn't. Whether you know it or not, you are not being honest.

We aren't talking gender here, woke folks fuck off, this is sex, biological sex, there are rules and your feelings don't change the rules.

WHIPEDMEAT

Modortalan
Supermod
Veteran
🦫 Special 🍆
JIHA: Which brings up the next question: why did you develop a unisex cultivar?

IB: After the collectivization of agriculture in Hungary in the early sixties, the farmers were no longer interested in producing hemp seed, an activity which has not been mechanized until the present day. As a result of this, seed for sowing became scarce and the hemp industry had to import poor-quality land races from Turkey. From the research conducted by McPhee, von Sengbusch and Hoffmann we know that when a monoecious hemp plant pollinates a dioecious female the offspring (F1) consists for over 90 % of females, for 3-5 % of monoecious plants bearing mainly female flowers and for only 2-3 % of true males. This small number of males however is sufficient to ensure adequate pollination of the crop. As the stand consists mainly of seed-bearing (female + monoecious) plants, with the same habit, we called it unisexual hemp. Such a stand yields 60 - 80 % more seed than a dioecious cultivar. The seed produced on this stand (F2) is used as sowing seed for fibre production. We called this cultivar "UNIKO-B". It is, in fact, a "single-cross" between Kompolti and Fibrimon, but it is the F2 generation which is commercialized. Von Sengbusch and Hoffmann described the phenomenon, but they did not think of its practical use. In Kompolt we make the cross between Kompolti and Fibrimon on a surface of 5 hectare (ha), this yields 2,500 kg of F1 seed. The F1 seed is sown on a surface of 500 ha, yielding 400,000 kg of F2 seed, which is used to sow 3,000-3,500 ha of fibre hemp.

Unisexuality also can be used to exploit the effect of heterosis which occurs when Chinese and European (Kompolti) cultivars are crossed. This heterosis can increase stem yield by 8-15 %. To be able to cross two cultivars we have to construct a female parent which is "male sterile", a unisexual F1 can be used as such. In order to obtain a unisexual chinese line we used Fibrimon as the donor, which was backcrossed many times until we obtained a monoecious line with a Chinese habit. We crossed this line with the original dioecious Chinese cultivar to obtain a unisexual Chinese F1. This F1 was crossed with Kompolti hemp to obtain Kompolti Hybrid TC. The stem yield of Kompolti Hybrid TC is 5-8 % higher than that of Kompolti. The unisexual Chinese F1 has an unsurpassed seed yield potential of up to 1,500-1,600 kg per ha.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
Hemp tends to have 4 or more sexual chromosomes, drug cannabis typically has 2. It alters sexual inheritance and expression significantly when you double (or more) the sex chromosome count.

Never look at any studies from S.E. Asia or using their genes. X to auto works differently and has no males full stop.

Hybrids between active Y systems and x to autosome systems will be a shit storm and needs serious organisation to produce something you can label honestly.

So we have to know more than " well I got em from Dave and he knows his shit so I think you're full o it.". There's quite a lot to this, and seeing something produce balls, is not evidence that the scientific community doesn't know what they are talking about

igrowone

Veteran
Hemp tends to have 4 or more sexual chromosomes, drug cannabis typically has 2. It alters sexual inheritance and expression significantly when you double (or more) the sex chromosome count.

Never look at any studies from S.E. Asia or using their genes. X to auto works differently and has no males full stop.

Hybrids between active Y systems and x to autosome systems will be a shit storm and needs serious organisation to produce something you can label honestly.

So we have to know more than " well I got em from Dave and he knows his shit so I think you're full o it.". There's quite a lot to this, and seeing something produce balls, is not evidence that the scientific community doesn't know what they are talking about
hemp has 2 pairs of sex chromosomes?
I don't see much out there on that in a casual survey of academic type papers
pretty dramatic difference, a link describing this would be interesting

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I've had several Males from growing Feminized seeds last 15 years.

Like people say maybe a hermie if tested on paper but zero pistils at all when fully flowered and made Regular seeds when pollinated other clones that turned out very good seeds.

They used to say Feminized seeds are 99.9% Female

mudballs

" can't believe that after all the hours so many of us have spent explaining this, that there are still people who think you can get males from female only crosses. Not possible folks"

"I've had several Males from growing Feminized seeds last 15 years."

...hey, you guys wanna hear what i think?...i think you should listen to OJD

"and is it special? I have trouble understanding how with female chromosomes I can have a male, is it a pure male?"

yes, you could say it is a special karyotype...but without insulting, i feel ur not ready to capatilize on any possible benefit it could impart in offspring, if any. May even be sterile...males with chromosomal abnormalities are often sterile. My advice, take a clone, kill plant, try to reveg clone in 24/7 light and see if it will throw female organs. Oftentimes clones coming into reveg will hermi temporarily...if ur plant did this might be worth further experimenting with it...if it doesn't throw female then that doesn't tell us much other than it's a stable male apparently. That is my advice to an advanced grower. If ur not interested in all that like some of us...just kill the fkr and forget about it. It ain't special enough.

ojd

CONNOISSEUR GENETICS
Vendor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
But just to add if the Males I talk about were tested they probably do test as a hermie , but these had zero pistils at all , and produced no Hermie seeds after testing first time , as was expecting a Hermie fest but surprisingly no Hermie offspring and had zero reports of hermies and ive grown 100's from the offspring.
I've had Males from from Feminized seed that did show some pistils and obviously didn't use those so can't comment on what would of shown from those.
I've had 3 full looking Males zero pistils from Feminized seeds from 1000's of Feminized seeds me and my circle have grown over the years the last 15 years since making Feminized seeds.

Latest posts

Latest posts