What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

10 Pretty Females

Sixteen beans hit the dirt last week. Nothing more exciting then popping seeds. Doesnt matter what they are seeds are a miracle and poppin them never fails to thrill me...:hotbounce

So having never done a grow log I thought id give one a go. Join me as we walk these ladies through to completion or bust a hernia trying.

Basic seed mix 1 part sifted home composted cow manure, i part professional coco based seedmix, 1 part EWC. Pots a re dressed with a sprinkle of coarse compost to mulch the surface.

Im a big believer in the LITFA technique for popping beans. Killed a whole lot more seedlings with 'love' than i have saved them from there own mistakes over my time.

I water heavily till runoff with 110f water and then dibble the seeds straight in. Then into the warm box. A polystyrene box with heating mat and a couple of t5's. Then i leave it the fuck alone.

Planned for 10 where these ladies are headed. 16 Female Seeds -8 Purple Maroc and 8 C99. Only the strong shall make it..
attachment.php

Three days in the ghetto warm box and they're reaching for the day. Give them a bit of indoor outdoor while the suns shinning.

Attachments

• 10 ladies 1.jpg
    10 ladies 1.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
Allright brethren and fellow lurkers... First good drop of rain in 3 months and its time to break the holes back in.

Thats good news means theres gonna be some water in the spring.

This is the only water source on the ridge and is about 200ft up the gulley. Unlikely it'll make it through the season but it gets these girls started till they can get their roots down. Pretty spot for a snack and a doob too.

Climb down the crack. Crawl further than is convenient and welcome to the grove.

These holes have been going awhile so just a few essential ammendments. Per hole these ladies will be dinning on a a couple of fists of high P guano and 1/2 gallon of chook pellets and blood and bone meal respectively.

MMM look at that loam. Ill top dress a few times across the season as we roll. Holes are about 4ftx2ft.

Despite the isolation these females gonna need good support and protection from critters so caging is essential. So jealous of those of you able to just slap down a plant and let it grow without protection. In my parts the goats and other critters would be onto those ladies as soon as i was clear.

Till next time boys and girls. Stay frosty :tiphat:

Attachments

• Water.jpg
    Water.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 32
  • where.jpg
    where.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Holez2.jpg
    Holez2.jpg
    174.2 KB · Views: 38
  • caged.jpg
    caged.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 39
Lets see how those ladies are doing. 7 days old today. Maroc on the left and then the C99 but theres a gangly freak in there.

We will see how she blows but shes probably the first to leave the show. Only the strong will survive. Might just leave her on the mountain somewhere Spartan style. Or she might be the keeper you never can tell.

Second true set of leaves creeping in. Sorry for my cheap ass photos but what a pretty plant.

attachment.php

Going to give these girls a little push with some seaweed and fish juice.

Attachments

• 7 days old.jpg
    7 days old.jpg
    114.9 KB · Views: 40
Ill do my best bud. Welcome aboard.

Check out fourth row second down [d2] in the c99. Shes got an interesting leaf structure compared to the others.. Interested to see how she unfolds...

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Looking good so far man! My first lesson in guerilla growing was that everything eats seedlings and small plants. Good idea on caging those girls up. :good:

It's going to be nice having an outdoor thread to follow after the season's over up here. :lurk:

:laughing:All aboard the Ganja express JST. Plenty of room for lovers of the herb. Fingers crossed its all a happy ending but you never know. Should be right.. These girls know what to do.

Arright blades and bladessas. Busy busy busy. So much to do in the springtime. Flowers are blooming, gardens need wranglin, and the girls aint slowing down.

My approach with the outdoor seed girls is to send them down deep to search out the water in the subsoil to minimise my watering over summer. I concentrate on developing strong healthy root systems and let the tops take care of themselves in the full sun.

Roots are popping out of their tubes and that means its time for a repot.

Old milk cartons are my preferred pot up size. These give plenty of room for a little girl to start to stretch her legs and get that tap root long and strong and i bury the stalk about an inch to allow for bigger roots and limit above ground stretch if its been an issue. Good light should prevent that though.

Tap them out of their forestry tubes, dust them with a little arbuscular mycoriza and into the 1/4 gallon milk carton. Soils just regular ol ewc and composted manure 40/40 and 20 percent aeration. Rice hulls in this case cause ive got em handy, but perlite is good too. Rice hulls will pull a bit of nitrogen initially [but add extra silica for strong cell walls] so if my base mix wasnt rich enough id water them in with a little n organic fert or top dress with a TINY bit of pelletised chook poop. I mean tiny like a teaspoon maximum and not close to the stems. Dont want to burn those tender roots and shoots.

It works with my system from a space perspective too. 16 plants to a punnet upgrades into 16 plants per milk crate. Square sides makes everything space efficient. Still easy to haul around if the weather turns sour and plenty big enough to carry them through to final outside locations.

Two weeks give or take at time of photo. 14 of 15 are still going strong. The interesting leaf structure on one of the c99 is not doing well unfortunately. Ive potted her up too but shes not doing so well.

We shall see...

On another note ive been playing with STS for the first time. Has taken a little longer than id hoped but plenty of boy flowers now. While im getting plenty of pollen im not sure its viable at the moment. Pistils arent browning of as id expect after pollen application. Ill keep trying but treating a few more cuttings both sts and colloidal just in case. Ive had infertile pollen once before with colloidal silver.

Well thats it from me today. Good luck with all your various projects. Stay safe.:tiphat:

Attachments

• ImMelting.jpg
    ImMelting.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 29
  • thentherewas12.jpg
    thentherewas12.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 30
  • ROOTS.jpg
    ROOTS.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 29
:woohoo:Well good news folks the Mountain Maid i STS'd seems to be starting to make some viable pollen. Just in time to catch her sisters.:woohoo:

This ones been a right PITA to feminise. Been 5 day drenching for nearly two months six week of flowering. The top just kept on throwing stigma. But a good cluster of pollen bearing flowers formed at the plants base.

This pollen has been inactive untill now but i can see bracts starting to sell from the last couple of applications on her pals. Ill take a few photos tomorrow to celebrate.

As promised a photo of my lady boy MM.
Always used CS in the past and while theres no garauntees its normally worked for me. Just had the one case of infertile pollen.

Now this girl would not shift with STS. Spray after spray. And then kapoof. Heaps of flowers down low. I took the top of to focus energy into the male flowers.
attachment.php

Shes reverting back to female now and pollen seems to be coming good at last.

attachment.php

Couple of bracts starting to swell and theres some seed coming. Be interested to see how many though. And on another mum.
attachment.php

Cause i wanted to be sure i threw a couple of other cuts out from same mum above and one other suitable cut. Same plant as above not throwing boy bits but another plant - same genetics is leaping into boy flowers after 2 sprays.

attachment.php

Not gonna be ready for this month as planned but stoked to have some beans on the way.

Attachments

• Ladyboy1.jpg
    Ladyboy1.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 34
  • 2timesalady.jpg
    2timesalady.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 28
  • all knockedup.jpg
    all knockedup.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 39
  • ahuh.jpg
    ahuh.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

JustSumTomatoes

Are you just self pollinating the reversed female or are you collecting pollen to dust other ladies? How long and what frequency have you been spraying her?

Nice job bro, hoping that pollen is viable for you. Should produce some nice fems.

Pollinating other girls bro. Ive got 4 champion girls for this cross and two other strains just for some nice fems to play with- one of those might be too advanced to yield any seed. The lady boy mum thats started throwing female flowers again has really nice cold resistance so ill hang onto those too. Cant help hoarding seeds they really give me the jollies.

Been spraying the girl thats yielding pollen up untill two weeks ago every 5 days for 36 days. Never used sts before so its all a bit of an experiment.

JustSumTomatoes

I may have missed it, but what's sts? I used pure colloidal silver for mine. I get a sense of security when I have a good seed stock. I feel I don't really own a strain until I have a good supply in the library to back it up.

JustSumTomatoes

Ok, yeah I've seen that before. Are there any advantages to sts over colloidal silver? Seems the CS would be easier to produce and safer to use than sts. You may also want to increase sprayings. 1 spraying per day for 2 weeks of CS made my lady explode with pollen sacs. Just a thought... Hoping that mold resistance gene carries over for you. Should make for some great crosses

Not much more dangeropus than anything else under the sink. Main benefit from where im sitting is not burning the plant so much. And 2 sprays makes it easy to do guerilla.

I actually think i might have oversprayed rather than under but all experimentation. Only time ive had infertile pollen with cs i was using a very strong batch.

Im repeating it with colloidal and sts just in case so we might get to the bottom of it.

Just interesting that one lady took many sprays and 2 months to show flowers and another lady of the same strain only took 2 and a few weeks later its got boy bits. Might be human error.

Different strains ive played with have been harder than others to get flowers a couple ive had no joy on at all, but i always thought it was strain related but maybe on the hard to put out ladies the key is just doing a few more cuts from different mothers.

YES to mold tolerance =].

Head down getting it done:plant grow:.
Girls put their feet into the new hot mix and have taken off.
attachment.php

I mighta overdone it with the chook beding in my last compost heap. No doubt chook poop is great fertaliser but its hot. Even well composted its pretty powerful stuff.
Girls started to bolt and the growths a bit too blue and soft. I try to push pretty hard albeit all organically.

Tiny bit of nute burn on one of them and some mild leaf rolling but theryre taking it and rolling on. Im blest with the women in my life. Theyre all pretty damn tolerant.
attachment.php

Ill put these girls out with the next heavy rains. Or when they get too big for my pack. If i was sure they were going out soon id probably top these girls now and let the side branches develop.
There's the cages for good support out there. As it is i think ill wait and see. Theyre pretty crowded in their box and i dont want them to compete with each other too much.

Hauled the last of the mulch out to the grove now. Depending on how other projects go i might make another trip to top up the holes with a few more gallons of compost each or
i might not get out there again untill we get a good storm system coming through.

Got family coming this week so its off country to fight the leeches and catch some fish.

:tiphat: All you northerners good luck bringing it home. Im loving all those frosty bud pics.

Attachments

• WIDTH.jpg
    WIDTH.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 21
  • HEIGHT.jpg
    HEIGHT.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 21
Whooweee its hot. Where the hell did spring go. Seems like we busted straight into summer. Been pretty flat out getting things done. No rain since last post unfortunately so its time to start syphoning, pumping and hauling. Our ten pretty females are going out today- fingers crossed we dont get blown off the ridges.. If i get the chance ill make a post tonight with a few pics, but we're pushing 80 hour weeks every week this month. Id give my left nut for some serious rain. Not 1/4 of an inch and then back to 90 degrees but a good week of soaking rain. Cross your fingers for me brothers and if you got the skills a liddle rain dance would be well recieved too. Fuck it-rain dance no matter what your skill level if you could be so kind...

Latest posts

Latest posts