What's new

$10 DIY 4-Clone Shipper - FedEx - UPS - Postal Abuse Proof!

A

AdmiralRed

Ok folks, this is my first DIY, so go easy.

Friends of mine and I have looked at the numerous ways that people have devised for shipping clones. While some work, I was not really impressed with the designs, so I set out to build my own. Here is the shopping list. The containers I used came from "The Container Store". You can substitute at will, but I picked these because they have a nice flexible top that seals well. I also found a depth that is perfect for the cube container that has a nice compression fit to hold 1" Rockwool or Rapid Rooter Mat cubes equally well.

So lets get started!

Tools list:
Scissors
1/8" and 1/4" drill bits
Hot Glue Gun
Standard Screwdriver

The Container Store Parts:
1.7Q/1.6l Food Keeper Container TCS Item # 10029333 $4.99
9oz/260ml Food Keeper Container TCS Item # 10029316 $1.99

The Lowes Hardware:
T-Nuts Three Hole #8-32 (2 per pkg) Item # 137322 $1.15
Stainless Steel Slot Pan Screws #8-32x1/2" (5 per pkg) Item # 136323 $.80
5/8"x1/4"x3/8" Nylon Spacer (2 per Pkg) Item # 137022 $1.39
1/8"x3/4" Fender Washer (4 per Pkg) Item # $1.15

Note: I was building two of these...hence 2 sets of containers

Note: I do not condone shipping anything illegal domestically or internationally!

Last edited:
A

AdmiralRed

Ok, so now it is time for construction.

Get the smaller of the two containers because that is what we will be working on first. Also get the nylon spacers, T-Nuts and cubes for reference.

Lets make the nuts first. Spacers and T-Nuts get glued together. I used super glue, but hot glue will work the same.

Now, place your cubes in there...give a little root room. Notice I have the nuts placed in the bottom to get a feel for spacing. Remove your cubes and mark the locations for the drill holes in the bottom.

Now, turn the container over and use the 1/8" bit to drill the holes. Make sure to make them clean. DON'T bore them out with the bit....we want a tight fit for the screws.

A

AdmiralRed

Alrighty, now take your screws with the fender washers and run them through the bottom. Like I said, we want a tight fit here, so work the screws in carefully and do not open the holes up with anything but the screws.

Ok, now we need to secure our nuts into the bottom. Use Hot Glue, we want a flexible glue here. I used the glue gun to create a fillet around the nylon spacers.

A

AdmiralRed

Now lets work on a little bit of bondage for our little ones.

Put your cubes back into the little box and mark the centers of the cubes on the lid. Drill the holes with the 1/4" drill. You can use larger if you like, but 1/4" should work for most cuttings.

Drill the top as shown. Then, you are going to cut slits from the edges to the holes in the top. Notice how flexible the top is...you can slip clones in like a greased pig.

It is also time to mark the holes for the big container. Do that now and drill with the 1/4" drill as well. You should be able to easily bolt the little container in now.

Last edited:
A

AdmiralRed

Ok, now all we have to do is put some clones in there. I did not have any rooted clones to put in, so I just put cubes with some fresh cuts. They have been sitting in it since I started writing this about 30 minutes ago and have not wilted yet. The cubes aren't even wet, so we know this thing is going to maintain enough moisture for the trip.

I recommend a little bit of tape to hold the top in place on the cube binder box. I used a strip of clear Duct tape...use whatever works and is water proof.

So here they are...bolted in, with the top of the little container taped. Ain't bondage great?

We also have a picture of the simulated clones in the shipping orientation that they will likely end up in during shipping and arrival at your friend's front door. UPSIDE DOWN!

I feel confident that this box should work just fine barring getting run over by a truck. They can stack stuff on the cardboard box, crush it, whatever, but the little ones should be intact and ready for grow room action.

Thanks for watching!
AR

A

AdmiralRed

For those thinking, hmm, what about smell? Here is a shot after vacuuming in a FoodSaver. Don't use the vacuum and seal function, use the pulse vacuum and seal option or you will crush it.

Hawk

Cool. So how long can a clone last in something like that? Any ideas for temperature protection? Or wouldn't that be necessary?

Grizz

Veteran
it looks like it will work fine, a little to much work though. 2 beer cups work fine for me. just tape over soil in clone cup then put another cup on top and tape cups togather then put into cardboard box stuffed with walmart plastic bags,have shipped up to 4 in one box this way with no problems.

A

AdmiralRed

I think that temps should be fine. Unless you are shipping to Alaska where they might get frozen. ;) As for time they can survive in the box, I'll put it this way, the cuttings that I took have still not wilted yet, and the cubes were not wet except for the miniscule dampness that they had coming out of the package.

As for simple, that is something I am not sure that I know about. ;) This box will likely travel the US, getting plucked and restocked at each location. I planned it's use to be in the area of years, not a one shot trip. While I agree that the beer cup design or even the soda bottle designs that I have seen work great, they are not multiuse. Heck, you can play soccer (football for euro folks) with it when contained in a cardboard box. I have visited the UPS docks before and I have spotted them kicking boxes around.

Might be a lot of work for some, but really, it took me longer to take pics than build it.

DHarvester

How often do clones get intercepted? I have buddies in different states and would love to share cuttings with them and vice versa. Also, how do you ship w/o getting fingerprints all over everything?

D.

G

There is a much easier way. I didn't think we were allowed to post this type of thing???

FirstTracks

natural medicator
Veteran
^agreed.

though they most likely have seen most, if not all techniques generally used, its not necessarilly wise to give them a list of things to look for and feel for. make them do their job though, don't just give it to them.

i would never used fed -x or ups....ever heard of operation fed -x???? you better check you self before you wreck your self with kyndness for safeness

Str8Dank

to the guy talking about not using FedEx - whatever bro you are bugging! if you have discipline and a brain you will be just fine i just sent 50 cuts from FEDEX kinkos the other day and they arrived just fine.

• seal the inside of your box with tape VERY WELL.
  • WEAR GLOVES
  • USE REAL RETURN ADDRESS - return addresses are scanned by their scanners as well. fake return addresses can cause issues.
  • don't over tape the outside of your container! - this looks suspicious
  • don't send next day - these are always more suspicious.

thread starter i like your concept but it's a little more involved to construct then need be IMO. i can get the same results cheaper and without any real tools but a hot screw driver and some saran wrap and tape.

user2094pic182753125443.jpg

cubs/soil in bottom cup, serean wrap over top around stem of clone to keep cube/soil in place. pop holes in another cup and place over top and tape in place. soil/cube can't move and slam around the clone and the clone can't bump into anything because the top cup prevents it from hitting anything directly like a helmet.

simple, quick to make, cheap to make, effective :)

now pm me with what strains you want to send me to test this method lol.

thread starter I'd love to have a few of yours for sending clones but when requesting clones i know people wont make those so the method i posted you may get them to whip together, hope it helps bro :). no credit for me i got the idea and pic from a friend.

Bunz

I still like lonestar's method of sending them in plastic vcr cases. Got many a package from the TRC & all arrived great. Tells ya how long ago we were sending clones thru the mail..................

Latest posts

Latest posts