What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

1 seed grow

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
9/1/11: Seed was put in soil.

I made a cross (my first one!) on a lower branch of my Cloud #9 (/Dinafem) with pollen from a Jilly Bean (/TGA's) male and got 10 healthy looking seeds.
This journal is for one of those seeds.

attachment.php

I'm popping the seed in a cup of soil.
The soil is some local mix with only trace amounts of fertilizers. Mainly coco, peat and some tuff.

attachment.php

The seed will be grown for 3-4 weeks in my PC grow case - A tiny space with a single 45W CFL supporting too many plants.
When my cab will be ready for a run I'll give all the plants a bit more veg time and flip to flowering using a 600W mixed spectrum.
This plant will grow in a pretty small container on the side of the cab - Far from ideal conditions.

My goal is mainly testing out the genetics so I wish for a girl. If it'll turn to be a male I'll probably grow it as well.

A few more words about the genetics:

The mom (Cloud #9 / Dinafem) was a very strong plant.
She stretched like crazy in flowering and the yield was pretty nice.
She didn't need much root space and didn't need too much fertilizing.
The buds were looking OK. The were pretty small but with a nice trichome coverage.
The buds had pretty high potency. The high was mellowing with no couch-lock. The stoney type.
The taste is somewhat like lemony fuel and hash and the smoke is smooth even without a curing time.

The dad (Jilly Bean / TGA's) was very a healthy plant as well and popped the flowers 18 days (!) after I could find preflowers on him.
He had a pretty stout formation with pretty small clusters.
I had 2 plants from this pack that first popped a lot of male flowers and then turned full blown hermi on me, so I'll be cautious with this cross, although the other plants from the pack look pretty straight so far (5 weeks in flowering)
The high from samples I took so far is energizing and sedative. Couldn't test the taste too well as the buds I've sampled weren't flushed or cured so it mainly tasted like ash.
Even with the lack of flushing and curing it was VERY smooth.
The potency wasn't bad at all but nothing extreme.

Cheers :)

Attachments

• DSCN8241 (Medium).jpg
    DSCN8241 (Medium).jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN8248 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8248 (Medium).JPG
    28.1 KB · Views: 9

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
The seed haven't popped.
I've put another seed that haven't popped either.

I'm letting my seeds dry out much better this time and try again.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
After 3 seeds haven't popped I thought "what the heck, I'll crack 'em with my teeth and give them a few days in a paper towel".
Well, guess what!
The first or second seed (I think its the first) popped a tail and so did the third one :)
The last seed is in the paper towel.

Yesterday CB#1 cracked the surface and today I took the seed shell off.
It looks pretty normal to me.

I'll keep it in the PC case for a week or so until I can see some roots.

I've potted the second seed to crack today and I hope that in 2 days it would surface as well.

Yay, my first cross is ALIVE!!! hahaha!

Another thing I've noticed only when cutting the dried Jilly Beans nugs to fit in the jar is that 2 out of the 5 females were late trifoliates - they popped 3 buds out of each node at the end of the colas instead of the normal 2.

So there's some trifoliate tendency going in these genetics.

No JB female popped a single nanner but I found 2 seeds in the crop, probably from pollen I hit a female with and put near the JBs.
Kept those seeds as well.

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN8852 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8852 (Medium).JPG
    41.2 KB · Views: 9

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
subscribed

cool... babies
you got any possible names for them??
C#B for now.
If those seeds will grow into something worth working with I'll give the F2 a better name :)

Congrats on your first grandkids :)
Thanks man!

And for an update:
A week passed and it looks perfect to me, except for the stretching, but the light is pretty far and there's only 45W of CFL in there.
The roots are already coming out to the rim of the cup. In a few days I'll move it to a 1.5L pot with recycled soil based soil mix (which seems to work well) and put it under my new 250W plantmaster.

The other 2 J#B seeds didn't survive.

I've dropped 2 Cloud#9 X JTR#2 seeds in distilled water and I'll put em in Jiffy pellets today. I'll be popping a few more seeds I made in the near future as I got some more grow space lately.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• DSCN8864 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8864 (Medium).JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSCN8865 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8865 (Medium).JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 12

niggle

I love when the plant starts to grow real leaves!

Other then the stretching the plant looks super healthy, when will you start and what will you be feeding it?

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
I got a few liters of soil I've mixed a week ago, I'll be using it.
There's basically soil for 2 previous rounds mixed with a bit of new store-bought soil (mainly coco and peat) and a good amount of my home-made worm castings.
That should last for a month and half or so of veg. If not - I'll supplement.
For flowering I'll be using Hesi nutrients for soil.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Got it transplanted into a beverage bottle pot. (around 1.4L of soil)
Gave it a few ml of my veg fertilizing solution that is around 0.5 mS (EC)

i cant wait to see what will be the result here.
subscribed :blowbubbles:
Same here brother...

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
Another update.
I got the plant topped a couple of days ago.

attachment.php

It got a bit dry and without enough humidity for a day so the leaves are a bit curly. The topping seemed to stress it a bit as well.
But still looking pretty good.

attachment.php

The roots slowed down a bit but they still grow mighty fine.

In a week or so I believe she would need another transplanting.

I've added a bonus shot of some Cloud #9 X Jack The Ripper and 3 seeds I got from 3 different Jilly Beans that I have no clue who the father is, but I haven't found any other seeds in them so I guess they didn't hermie out too badly on me to produce them.

Attachments

• DSCN8883 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8883 (Medium).JPG
    78 KB · Views: 11
  • DSCN8884 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8884 (Medium).JPG
    41.9 KB · Views: 12
  • DSCN8885 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8885 (Medium).JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 9
K

kannubis

Hehe, if you make it too easy on them they will get lazy on ya. A little bit of stress is good for the test-grow anyway. Looking like a successful new breed - hope it has what you are looking for in size and effects :)

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
It grows well so far but there's still 3 months at least before I'll see how I like this one ;-)
Stress from topping is my last worry. If it doesn't like it - its problem.

I don't cultivate any plant that doesn't want to live at least as much as I want it to.

fonzee

Weed Cannasaur
Veteran
This one surely didn't like getting topped. Haven't grown up for a week but branched out nicely.
Somewhat stressed but not badly.

attachment.php

I hope its a she :)

Attachments

• DSCN8944 (Medium).JPG
    DSCN8944 (Medium).JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 9

Justin_Credible

Mary, Mary, Quite Contrary....
Veteran
Am hoping "it's" a "SHE" as well...

Am hoping "it's" a "SHE" as well...

After 3 seeds haven't popped I thought "what the heck, I'll crack 'em with my teeth and give them a few days in a paper towel".
Well, guess what!
The first or second seed (I think its the first) popped a tail and so did the third one :)
The last seed is in the paper towel.

<clip>

Aaaaahhh, the good ol' paper towel method...works well for J.C. Nice looking grow you got going on here. Hope you don't mind j.c. pulling up a chair for the rest of your show. :tiphat: